This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
TorakTu's profile picture

TorVerse - A Work In Progress

Started by TorakTu, 25 June 2013 - 07:23 PM
TorakTu #1
Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:23 PM
CLOSED the website. It didn't work. I'll just have to make the game without any further beta testers or websites. Hint of advice, do NOT use byethost. IT SUCKS !
Zudo #2
Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:45 AM
Looks good, I could never do that!
I use Windows generally, but I do have a Linux machine (It won't run this, it can't run CC-Emu!)
theoriginalbit #3
Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:55 AM
Wow this is brilliant! Well done!

So the idea here is, to get an idea of how many of you are using MAC, Windows, or Linux.
I suggest just putting in a poll, make it a little easier to tally up the results and save counting the posts.
TorakTu #4
Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:32 AM
Wow this is brilliant! Well done!

So the idea here is, to get an idea of how many of you are using MAC, Windows, or Linux.
I suggest just putting in a poll, make it a little easier to tally up the results and save counting the posts.

Looks good, I could never do that!
I use Windows generally, but I do have a Linux machine (It won't run this, it can't run CC-Emu!)

Thanks guys.
H4X0RZ #5
Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:49 AM
Very interesting!

PS:
I'm using Windows all the time.
TorakTu #6
Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:58 AM
Very interesting!

PS:
I'm using Windows all the time.

Thanks for the reply. :D/>

You know, we tried my game in Linux earlier today, it worked so far. But you have to use WINE to do it. It requires DirectX 9.. sadly. Once I figure out what i'm doing to do, I might even port this to JAVA using OpenGL. I'm just not sure yet.
GravityScore #7
Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:47 AM
Looks cool! I've never ever experimented with 3D technologies, so I have no idea how you did this :P/>

I use a Mac all the time, but I do have a Windows 8 partition installed (never use it though). What language did you use to code this, and are you using OpenGL for 3D? Just interested. :)/>
Orwell #8
Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:04 AM
I use Linux all the time. And he said he's using DirectX which uses Direct3D for 3D graphics, so there's no need for using OpenGL.
TorakTu #9
Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:07 AM
Looks cool! I've never ever experimented with 3D technologies, so I have no idea how you did this :P/>

I use a Mac all the time, but I do have a Windows 8 partition installed (never use it though). What language did you use to code this, and are you using OpenGL for 3D? Just interested. :)/>

At this moment I am using a Windows Only compiler known as DarkBasic Pro. It uses DirectX 9. It's a crappy and useless compiler and software. But its been around for over a decade and I can make games with it really fast. It's just not stable nor is it very friendly toward anything other then windows XP. BUT… as you can see, I have made progress with it. I have made demos and given source code out for some of this project in the past. But I am tired of waiting on all the other indie devs out there to make a game that I want to play. Sooo.. I'm working on this once more. And this time, I have made a lot of progress. Then it dawned on me.. If no one really cares about the game, I just will make this in windows and be done with it. Or should I ? So I started to look around and I see a lot of Linux and Mac users who can't play. So I thought I would post messages like this one here and there to get some feedback. So far, I have 1 mac user and possibly two linux users.. but everyone else is using Windows. And yes, so far this does run on windows 7. Windows 8 sucks too badly, so I wont even bother trying to make the game run on it.

Your other question, OpenGL.. I have been studying OpenGL for the past 5+ years. I also have been studying and playing with JAVA ( using eclipse ) for the past 2 years. The problem is I can't find the help I need to be successful in making this game in JAVA. OpenGL is awesome.. I want to make it with that API. But its not a game engine. DarkBasic Pro is. So I needed to write this game out as fast as I can to show people something so they know that I am working on this. If I can get better at JAVA, then I might be able to write this game with it and that in itself will allow any OS to run it. :D/>

By the way, it would be nice if you all could Vote : http://www.minecraft.../#entry23057640

Recently I found out that the company that makes DarkBasic Pro is updating their other software known as AGK. It allows cross platform to practically anything. Yes, even phones and iPads. It also uses OpenGL. but it's lacking in the 3D GPU shader support. Well now they have a kickstarter for their Version 2 and it is supposed to allow 3D support. So I am looking into that as well.
nutcase84 #10
Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:52 AM
Looks nice! Can't wait to play it!

I'm running a tri-boot system.

Windows 7/Windows 8(SUCKS)/Linux Mint Cinnamon

Idk if I'm going to keep Mint. I am having problems with my sound. I might install Ubuntu…
TorakTu #11
Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:50 PM
Looks nice! Can't wait to play it!

I'm running a tri-boot system.

Windows 7/Windows 8(SUCKS)/Linux Mint Cinnamon

Idk if I'm going to keep Mint. I am having problems with my sound. I might install Ubuntu…

I have Ubuntu on my other computer and I gotta say, its a cool OS. But it is still unstable when it comes to non-linux games. So I am hoping that if I make this for cross-platform, that it will use native linux drivers, instead of needing Wine or some other emulator. However, I can do this with no problem with JAVA. So I am still looking into this as a viable alternative. The AGK I was looking at is not linux compatible. Figures.

Although, I wonder if their Version 2 will be.

http://www.kickstart...app-game-kit-v2
theoriginalbit #12
Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:55 PM
Still no poll….. ok, I'll just post what I use :P/>

Mac OS X (always latest version) … I also have Windows 7 and Windows XP installed in Parallels, never use them though …
TorakTu #13
Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yea I just had to set someone straight on a Windows Only forum site about how many people actually use Mac vs Windows. You can get statistics on the net to fit anything you want. So I can't use this information. If I go by the statistics, and take away businesses and non gamers, windows and MAC are about the same, although windows is still in the lead. Linux is still a small group. So its interesting to read these forum threads.

Here is where you can vote.
http://www.minecraft.../#entry23057640

Make sure to scroll up to see it.
TorakTu #14
Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:57 AM
With all the forums I have posted, its about a 40/40 between Windows and MAC. The other 20% is Linux.
JustPingo #15
Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:37 AM
Looks pretty interesting. Wait for more screens !
I'm on Windows.

When I saw the title, I thought about… something else…
Mads #16
Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:29 PM
I'm always on Linux.

And I would also suggest using OpenGL, no matter if you are only developing for Windows. It's faster, more flexible, and it's easier to set up a big rendering-system however you like, with shaders.
TorakTu #17
Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:16 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Yes I am looking at various 3D engines that meet the requirements I would need for the game. Outerra Engine is a brilliant engine I have been in support of for the past couple years. But they don't even have an engine I can play with to make my own game yet. They only have a game "tech demo" and that's it.

I have decided to go with OpenGL. Since I am familuar with it anyhow. The choice now is, in what language. I'm not a C/C++ Guru, but I get by. JAVA is more likely to be my choice, but some of the stuff I could do in DarkBasic pro, I would have to figure out how to do in JAVA.. or heck.. even C++ for that matter. Darkbasic just makes it easy to wip out a game demo. No other language does that. So now I have to look more in depth at procedural textures using JAVA or C++. One way or another, i'll find a way.

The choice of my language will also determine if I use an already built 3D engine, or if I need to make my own, with OpenGL directly. If I went with JAVA I would use the LWJGL as my main API wrapper. I love that API. So easy to use. Problem is, its just that.. an API.. not an engine. So I am looking into engines such as JMonkeyEngine 3.0, which is still in beta, but I might still be able to use it. Either way, i'm getting there.

ON ANOTHER NOTE : I am also thinking of allowing LUA scripting in the game for the computers in the game. At least.. as a basic. Not sure yet.. not set in stone.. but I love the Lua language.
H4X0RZ #18
Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:18 PM
A little idea for your game:
Let us program events (like attacking ships) in lua.that would be awesome!
TorakTu #19
Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:51 AM
A little idea for your game:
Let us program events (like attacking ships) in lua.that would be awesome!

Yea, i'm not even sure i'll use LUA, but I am putting it into consideration at least. My problem is, I have no clue HOW to do it yet. Sure, I could make something with my own version of Basic, just like Notch did with 0x10c when he botched up his own version of assembly language.. which is a joke by the way… but I would like to use a REAL language. Lua is a real useable language that is used all over the world. Python is the other one. And python has ports for JAVA as well. Lua does not.. at least.. I havn't found any for JAVA yet. I just don't want to have to rewrite every freaking LUA function into the game. So I am trying to understand HOW to do this with minimal coding.

On another note : I'm going to have to find a free website for this. That way people can download the demo and get info on the status of the game when it comes available. I used to own a domain, but 50% of the time, the hosting company I was paying was down. I don't trust paying for websites anymore. So if it's going to be down half the time, then I might as well just find a free one. And there are a lot of free hosting sites. Anything but 000webhost.com though because they suck.
GravityScore #20
Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:12 AM
I havn't found any for JAVA yet. I just don't want to have to rewrite every freaking LUA function into the game. So I am trying to understand HOW to do this with minimal coding.

Not sure if this is what you want, but LuaJ? It's what ComputerCraft uses.
Tiin57 #21
Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:29 AM
By the way, it's "Java" and "Lua". Not "JAVA" and "LUA".
TorakTu #22
Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:48 PM
By the way, it's "Java" and "Lua". Not "JAVA" and "LUA".

I'm an old school programmer from back in the days when we capitalized Basic as BASIC and Fortran as FORTRAN. It's how I roll.

I havn't found any for JAVA yet. I just don't want to have to rewrite every freaking LUA function into the game. So I am trying to understand HOW to do this with minimal coding.

Not sure if this is what you want, but LuaJ? It's what ComputerCraft uses.

That's exactly what i'm looking for. Thanks.

I am still working on the demo for windows using DarkBasic Pro. Once I get it to a point that its actually playable for the public, then I'll switch over to JAVA and that is when I'll implement the idea of LUA. I believe I will be using JAVA for the game. It just makes more sense to me to use it. The reason I am still using DBP is because I can get the idea out there, and in program form, so I can see where I'll need to fix / or change my ideas for better frame rates and playability.
Mads #23
Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:23 PM
If you are planning on using Lua for scripting, you probably don't wanna go with Java - just look at how slow ComputerCraft runs. It's a language being interpreted by an interpreted language. I'd recommend using C/C++, as you can use the native Lua libraries, which are also used in the official Lua packages.
TorakTu #24
Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:45 PM
If you are planning on using Lua for scripting, you probably don't wanna go with Java - just look at how slow ComputerCraft runs. It's a language being interpreted by an interpreted language. I'd recommend using C/C++, as you can use the native Lua libraries, which are also used in the official Lua packages.

Hmm, I don't see ComputerCraft as slow. But thanks for the input.
Mads #25
Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

If you put it up against Lua on your real computer, you'll see that it is many times slower.
TorakTu #26
Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

If you put it up against Lua on your real computer, you'll see that it is many times slower.

Ahh I think I know where your going with this now. ok I get it.

Yea actually its a myth that the language of JAVA is slow compared to C++. That has been explained thoroughly in all the JAVA books I have read. I have literally 3 books on JAVA and I have 5 on OpenGL. JAVA used to have bad libraries, which made them slow. Once it allowed better direct 3D and OpenGL access outside of the JFrame, of which it allowed the video card to do the graphic work, it actually runs the same speeds that a program written in C++ would give you. The only languages that would be considered faster is C and Assembly. Which I have tested both. The OpenGL books that use JAVA as a language also explain that its a myth when it comes to comparing C++ with JAVA started by coders of C++ who didn't want to change languages. It actually says this in the books I have.

Why is minecraft so slow you may ask ? Notch can't program worth a damn. He even admits it. So it boils down to sloppy coding. Jeb is fixing it and doing a good job.. but he is adding more content all the time and so he has to work around the sloppiness from notch.

Its the same issue with LUA or any language really, if you use sloppy coding then its going to run like crap. LUA in minecraft is slow, not because of LUA, but because of the sloppy work in minecraft. This is why you can see LUA slow when used with minecraft and not slow in any other JAVA related software.

I will however take your words into consideration though about LUA vs JAVA. Because just because some highly rated books say its fine in JAVA, doesn't always mean true on slow computers. And I want slower computers to try to be able to play this as well. Hopefully. If not, then.. meh…
Sammich Lord #27
Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:49 PM
You don't get it. He isn't comparing Java to C++, he's comparing LuaJ(Which is the Java version of Lua) to native Lua. If you go and do tests you will see a obvious speed difference. Not to mention all the extra bugs you get with LuaJ. If you spend some time in the Ask A Pro or Bugs sections you will see many instances where LuaJ is the problem and not the user's code.
TorakTu #28
Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:52 PM
You don't get it. He isn't comparing Java to C++, he's comparing LuaJ(Which is the Java version of Lua) to native Lua. If you go and do tests you will see a obvious speed difference. Not to mention all the extra bugs you get with LuaJ. If you spend some time in the Ask A Pro or Bugs sections you will see many instances where LuaJ is the problem and not the user's code.

Ohhh that makes more sense now.. ok cool. Thanks for the heads up. :D/>
TorakTu #29
Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:04 PM
I have been looking more and more into C++ once again. It's like riding a bike. Not fun, but hopefully I can get this out as fast as I did with DBPro.

I'm using GLUT for MAC and FreeGlut for Linux and Windows. It might even work with other Platforms, but i'm only working with windows at this time.

I wrote the tutorial on how to use freeGlut with Code::Blocks.. glad I did. I had forgottten how I did it. lol

Anyhow, i'll keep you all posted.

EDIT UPDATE :
After some research… I am seeing that I just am not going to be able to work with C++. I can read the code, but i'm not that good of a C++ programmer. As for JAVA, I know enough to get the basics going. I can figure the rest out from there. So I might be sticking with JAVA. Again… not sure yet. Either way, I am still working on the game. Its just a pain that there is so little information on this kind of game creation. Lots of bits and peices all over the net, but nothing that is up to date, but yet not too up to date since MAC is so far behind the times. That is what I keep running into. Mac has a limit on its OpenGL. It is limited to openGL 3.2. All other Operating Systems can run 4.x already. There is rumor that Mac will be allowing 4.0 eventually. But the books I have are about 4.1 and higher. Again, MAC would be behind. So its back to the drawing board and i'll just have to make the game with OpenGL 3.2 and no higher. At least until Apple catches up and crawls out of the stone age. Although, I don't know what i'm thinking since by the time I get the game going, Mac might be supporting OpenGL 7.1 in 2050.. or i'll be dead.. one or the other.. hahaha
Mads #30
Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:28 AM
Does the game have to be started at this instance? Can't you spend a couple of weeks learning C++, and then begin developing the game?
TorakTu #31
Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:03 AM
Does the game have to be started at this instance? Can't you spend a couple of weeks learning C++, and then begin developing the game?

Have you tried learning C++ ? It's not quite as simple as "Learn it in 21 days" as those books say. Not to mention there is more then one flavor of C++. Which one do I use ? The problem with what I'm trying to accomplish is, there is no help for it. There are websites that have example here and there, but the help is in math form. I'm not that good at math to read it and go "Oh I get it". Not simple at all. Not to mention that JAVA takes care of memory issues for you, in C++ it doesn't. I even looked at C#, but its worse then JAVA. JAVA is cross platform, C# is not. C# only works on windows and Xbox 360 and Windows phone. ( And don't quote linux, that project was canceled. )

The other issue is that what i'm trying to do, is easy to make in DBPro. And even in JAVA I am slowly figuring it out. There is nothing in C++ that can show me how to do a lot of the functions I need. No one out there makes tutorials on this kind of game. I have tried for the past 3 years waiting on someone who understands what I am needing and no one does.. or if they do, they wont' show anyone how to do it. They just show off on youtube. Oh and the help I could find in C++ that has info… Missing pages, or missing sources. Or it's so old that I can't use it. It sucks so badly.

Trust me when I say this.. C++ forced me to go with JAVA.

EDIT UPDATE : This guy is one of the best JAVA LWJGL tutorials around ( For those who don't know … LWJGL is an OpenGL wrapper ) –> http://www.youtube.c...e?feature=watch

I found resources like this as well : http://www.viscerall...horizon/planet/

Do you realize i can't find an up to date WORKING copy of that in C++ ? Making a planet that works on a sphere without pinching is one of the hardest parts of making a game like mine. I have watched a TON of youtube videos. And the only ones who share their knowledge is JAVA users. Heh.. go figure.

Point here is this… and sorry for the long winded novel I wrote here.. but.. I'm lousy at math. JAVA does so much for you. And by the time I get done, speed won't be an issue. Heck, WURM Online and Minecraft proved that it could be done in JAVA. Thank you Notch !
H4X0RZ #32
Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:31 PM
May I make some Let's Plays when you released a beta?
TorakTu #33
Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:27 PM
May I make some Let's Plays when you released a beta?

It would be an honor. In fact, in less then a week I'll have a demo done for windows. PM me your email and I'll send it to you when I can get it to a working point for Alpha demonstration.

Here is a picture so far. That sun was a bitch to make.. believe that. Now I add animations to it to make it much more realistic.. but for now… I am focusing on the planet.

[attachment=1224:torverse2.png]
Dlcruz129 #34
Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:36 AM
Looks amazing! And yes, I do use windows.
TorakTu #35
Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:37 AM
@Freack100, I sent you the RAR file of what works right now. You can't land on the planet yet. But this will at least make sure your computer can run it as it is.

I'm trying to nail down something with the sun at this moment before I continue work on the "landing on the planet" idea. I have already implemented code to generate the terrain.. But to smoothly land on the planet is another story.

It wont let you walk around the terrain just as yet since I had to disable that part of the code to get this to work so I could send it to you.

Enjoy and again, make sure to read the README.txt file for info in case there is a problem.

TorakTu

Looks amazing! And yes, I do use windows.

Hey thanks. Just got your comments as I wrote mine above. lol

EDIT UPDATE : @Dlcruz129, as per your PM request, sent.
TorakTu #36
Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:17 PM
OK, heads up for those who are testing the demo. Fixed the SUN. Now it generates on the fly procedurally just like all the other textures in the game. Eventually it will be much more realistic. But for now I am going to work on adding the object building features into the game. Or the planet landing. One or the other. Depends on my mood. lol
billysback #37
Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:26 PM
If you're offering I would love to test this, it looks amazing :D/>
I use windows
TorakTu #38
Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:20 PM
If you're offering I would love to test this, it looks amazing :D/>
I use windows

If you want to try this, PM me your email and i'll send you the tiny demo. It doesn't do much, but it shows that it can generate the textures on the fly and it also shows that it works.

I also am looking for someone who wants to host a website for this game. I just need something small for now. I need to be able to upload the website and the game itself for others to download. I will design the site and upload it when It's available.
TorakTu #39
Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:58 AM
@billysback, sent.

Thanks guys for the feedback you have given me so far. I will send out another update soon with the bug fixes you have sent me.

So far, it's been tested to run on windows. It's being tested on Linux with some errors. So the feedback I am getting on that is actually helping me to add options to the Options Menu.

For those of you whom are testing it, you will notice the sudden drop in frame rate when the GUI is showing.. this is do to a glitch in the code. I'll have a fix for that eventually.

I am shocked anyone even wanted to try this demo. Thank you all for the help. :D/>
TorakTu #40
Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:02 PM
For those interested, I updated the pictures section.
ShadowedZenith #41
Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

Ahh I think I know where your going with this now. ok I get it.

Yea actually its a myth that the language of JAVA is slow compared to C++. …

Random thought here but… Have you actually done benchmarks comparing similar, complex programs written in Java and C++? I can assure you, it's absolutely not a myth that Java (It's Java, not Java, btw. It's not an acronym like BASIC (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code). As well, FORTRAN has been rebranded as Fortran which, as FORTRAN, used to stand for The IBM Mathematical Formula Translating System) is slower than C++. Of course Java books are going to say "Oh, don't listen to all of those elitist, low level programmers. They don't know what performance means!". They're trying to get sales, and they're trying to get more Java programmers on the market.

JAVA used to have bad libraries, which made them slow. Once it allowed better direct 3D and OpenGL access outside of the JFrame, of which it allowed the video card to do the graphic work, it actually runs the same speeds that a program written in C++ would give you. …

In regards to the speed of OpenGL in Java, do you know WHY it runs just as fast as C++? That's because it is, in fact, interfaced with compiled C binaries.

Edit: Other than that rant, though, I think this looks pretty interesting.
TorakTu #42
Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:47 PM
Yes I have tested both. Yes it is a myth when your talking about OpenGL with either language. If you were not using OpenGL, then yes C++ would be considered faster. However, MS has been pushing their DotNetFramework lately for C# and C++. Guess what.. It too is a VM just like JAVA. No difference in speeds.

If I wanted to go really old school and write everything in Win32 API Format, then sure, C++ would be considered faster.. but not by much on these really fast computers compared to back when people used to gripe about it. So again, with OpenGL accessibility as well as fast computers, you wont see any difference in game play.

In regards to the speed of OpenGL in Java, do you know WHY it runs just as fast as C++? That's because it is, in fact, interfaced with compiled C binaries.

And this is exactly why I will be using JAVA for this game.

Edit: Other than that rant, though, I think this looks pretty interesting.

Thanks. :D/>
TorakTu #43
Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:15 PM
For everyone whom has been testing my game.. Thank you. :D/>

I updated the OP with the latest Info.
Engineer #44
Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:07 PM
I also am looking for someone who wants to host a website for this game. I just need something small for now. I need to be able to upload the website and the game itself for others to download. I will design the site and upload it when It's available.

Since I cant really help with direct access to a server, I can help you getting a koding domain.

I could potentially design your site. but Im not much of a HTML and CSS pro. This is just a gesture, because Im really liking where this is going.
theoriginalbit #45
Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:44 PM
Its starting to look even better! Good job!

If my host ever gets around to fixing the problem with my site I could give you a subdomain of theoriginalbit.com

Have you tried learning C++ ? It's not quite as simple as "Learn it in 21 days" as those books say.
Idk, I'd say it is fairly easy, if you can get your head around where to put * and & then you're set. I learnt the basics of C++ in 4 days for one of my units at uni, took about another week or so to be able to start to put the * and & in the correct places.
TorakTu #46
Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:33 PM
Since I cant really help with direct access to a server, I can help you getting a koding domain.

I could potentially design your site. but Im not much of a HTML and CSS pro. This is just a gesture, because Im really liking where this is going.

I appriciate the kind thought.

Its starting to look even better! Good job!

Thanks. I'm trying.

If my host ever gets around to fixing the problem with my site I could give you a subdomain of theoriginalbit.com

Yea I was wondering about that. It will be cool to see your website again. You still going to use those graphic icons I made for you ?

Have you tried learning C++ ? It's not quite as simple as "Learn it in 21 days" as those books say.
Idk, I'd say it is fairly easy, if you can get your head around where to put * and & then you're set. I learnt the basics of C++ in 4 days for one of my units at uni, took about another week or so to be able to start to put the * and & in the correct places.

Comparing C++ to JAVA, Java is a lot easier. I don't have to keep track of pointers and I don't have to know where to put ptr * symbols at. It's a pain in the butt. Plus JAVA has a built in garbage collection.
theoriginalbit #47
Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:46 PM
Yea I was wondering about that. It will be cool to see your website again. You still going to use those graphic icons I made for you ?
Yeh it will eventually go back up :/ 2 weeks of down time… yay. Yeh still will be, might be a little smaller than originally planned, so hopefully they will still look fine small (going for a slightly different design on the navigation).
TorakTu #48
Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:37 AM
Yeh it will eventually go back up :/ 2 weeks of down time… yay. Yeh still will be, might be a little smaller than originally planned, so hopefully they will still look fine small (going for a slightly different design on the navigation).

Cool man.. keep me informed. A sub-domain is all I need for now. I'm just trying to find another spot to get off of this forum because I feel like I hi-jacked it. It doesn't seem right. So I need to move this game discussion to another forum / website.
theoriginalbit #49
Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:23 AM
Cool man.. keep me informed. A sub-domain is all I need for now. I'm just trying to find another spot to get off of this forum because I feel like I hi-jacked it. It doesn't seem right. So I need to move this game discussion to another forum / website.
Yeh I'll bug redeye83 about it now! :P/>
TorakTu #50
Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:31 AM
Yeh I'll bug redeye83 about it now! :P/>

I have another guy who is solid with HTML5 from what I have seen. But he doesn't have a place to host the TorVerse website, so if you could find a hosting area with a sub-domain, then who knows.. maybe he and I can get the website up asap. Again thanks for any help your offering.
nutcase84 #51
Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:49 AM
Need a website? I can give you a Koding invite. They give you a free VM/Website. I almost got a Minecraft server running on it…
theoriginalbit #52
Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:31 AM
I have another guy who is solid with HTML5 from what I have seen. But he doesn't have a place to host the TorVerse website, so if you could find a hosting area with a sub-domain, then who knows..
yeh I'll bug him until he restores my web domain :P/>

Again thanks for any help your offering.
No problems. I have a Mac for testing or development or whatever :)/>
TorakTu #53
Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:39 PM
Need a website? I can give you a Koding invite. They give you a free VM/Website. I almost got a Minecraft server running on it…

That would be awesome. For now I am using this site. It was suggested to me earlier.

http://torverse.iblogger.org/

I have another guy who is solid with HTML5 from what I have seen. But he doesn't have a place to host the TorVerse website, so if you could find a hosting area with a sub-domain, then who knows..
yeh I'll bug him until he restores my web domain :P/>

Again thanks for any help your offering.
No problems. I have a Mac for testing or development or whatever :)/>

Later when I get ready to port over to the multi-OS language I will need a MAC BETA tester. :D/>

OK GUYS.. Updating the OP with new website link.. at least for now.
cant_delete_account #54
Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

That would be awesome. For now I am using this site. It was suggested to me earlier.

I can setup a subdomain on my website. It would be torverse.mineandcraft.net, or something different if you want. (of course the domain would have to be the same)
TorakTu #55
Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

I can setup a subdomain on my website. It would be torverse.mineandcraft.net, or something different if you want. (of course the domain would have to be the same)

Very generous of you. Currently I have a site for now. But, I would be happy if you want to create your own fan based website. Although, there really isn't anything to show off yet. I am just slapping a site together until I I am ready to make a real domain for it. I might even change the name of the game eventually.

I updated the website and the OP with the new website link.
TorakTu #56
Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:28 PM
For those who are curious.. I updated the website and the single player mode is no longer the target program. Now you can download the server and client in one zip file and use it as a glorified chat program for now.

http://torverse.iblogger.org

Any issues, just PM me.

Torak
TheOddByte #57
Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:40 PM
Downloading this right now! :D/>
TorakTu #58
Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:29 PM
Cool. :D/>
TorakTu #59
Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:57 AM
I finally added Live Chat to my website. Info in the first Posting of this thread.
TheOddByte #60
Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:15 PM
When you've logged into the server.. Can you do something else than chatting?
Zambonie #61
Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:30 PM
Seems really impresive! I'm just getting a error where it times out the client when starting it. There a way to fix his?
(Btw, this is my 200'th post!)
TorakTu #62
Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:04 PM
When you've logged into the server.. Can you do something else than chatting?

As I mentioned on my website, its just a chat program for now.

Seems really impresive! I'm just getting a error where it times out the client when starting it. There a way to fix his?
(Btw, this is my 200'th post!)

are you running the server first and then the client on windows ? Did you install the included DirectX 9 ( its the included dxwebsetup.exe file ) and are the two included DLLs in the same folder as each program ? Even though you can run both files in the same folder, its best you put each one in their own folder. And copy the DLLs into each folder as well.
Pharap #63
Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:04 AM
May get round to loading this up sometime.

If you ever need any help programming I'm fine to help.
Never used Dark Basic, but I can use Visual Basic and I've very briefly read a book on Dark Basic.
(Learning VB wasn't my choice, but I made a very basic game in windows forms. It had enemies and wall collisions and scoring and all that Jazz)
TorakTu #64
Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

Never used Dark Basic, but I can use Visual Basic and I've very briefly read a book on Dark Basic.
(Learning VB wasn't my choice, but I made a very basic game in windows forms. It had enemies and wall collisions and scoring and all that Jazz)

Actually, I am slowly porting my code to JAVA. So if you know JAVA and OpenGL then making a game is a lot simpler then writing it in C++.
Pharap #65
Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

Actually, I am slowly porting my code to JAVA. So if you know JAVA and OpenGL then making a game is a lot simpler then writing it in C++.

As I've mentioned many times before in these forums: me and Java do not get on.
I agree that C++ can be hell though. It's all those typedefs and defines that really make it annoying.
I'll never understand why people feel the need to typedef an int as something else. An int is an int - a 32bit signed integer, why hide it?

If you decide to use C# instead of Java I could be more helpful, but if it's Java, I'd have more luck programming it with butterflies.
TorakTu #66
Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:24 AM

I agree that C++ can be hell though. It's all those typedefs and defines that really make it annoying.
I'll never understand why people feel the need to typedef an int as something else. An int is an int - a 32bit signed integer, why hide it?

If you decide to use C# instead of Java I could be more helpful, but if it's Java, I'd have more luck programming it with butterflies.

Not sure why you would choose C# over JAVA. Both run off of a VM and both syntex are similar in nature. Difference is, JAVA is true cross-platform where C# is not because Microsoft's latest DotNetFrameWork doesn't work on Linux, MAC, Andriod, or iPad. I'll stick with JAVA. But thanks for the offer though.
Pharap #67
Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:44 AM

Not sure why you would choose C# over JAVA. Both run off of a VM and both syntex are similar in nature. Difference is, JAVA is true cross-platform where C# is not because Microsoft's latest DotNetFrameWork doesn't work on Linux, MAC, Andriod, or iPad. I'll stick with JAVA. But thanks for the offer though.

Funny you say that, I just got back from writing a post about why I don't get on with Java.
In short, there are a lot of features I like that it doesn't have, like events, delegates and unsigned integers.
(There's a full list here -> https://en.wikipedia..._Sharp_and_Java)
The non-crossplatformness doesn't bother me because I don't own any of those other devices and I've never made a program that was big enough to need cross platform support.
TorakTu #68
Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

Funny you say that, I just got back from writing a post about why I don't get on with Java.
In short, there are a lot of features I like that it doesn't have, like events, delegates and unsigned integers.
(There's a full list here -> https://en.wikipedia..._Sharp_and_Java)
The non-crossplatformness doesn't bother me because I don't own any of those other devices and I've never made a program that was big enough to need cross platform support.

Yea, JAVA is not that strict. And its getting better all the time. More and More indie game developers are using it now.
TorakTu #69
Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:00 AM
Moderators can close this thread. I haven't stopped work on my game. I'm just lacking the time to keep posting here. So if I do not respond to you, well you been forewarned.