This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
AnDwHaT5's profile picture

Starting rpg game project

Started by AnDwHaT5, 01 July 2013 - 07:05 AM
AnDwHaT5 #1
Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:05 AM
Recently i have started a kind of rpg project. it looks cool right now and i have big big planes for it. Currently we have unrestricted movements which is good and bad. We don't have barriers yet but i am working on those now. The idea of the game is like a maze thing. You get to go around the map with teleporters and point boosters and decliners. With that yes! There is a point system and i might add health and if you hit a diff icon you lose health or gain it. When you lose to much health you die and start over. Not only that but currently the saving feature is added. It saves constantly your position in a config file that way you never lose your data. This may be a while because i hope to make it a legit game and a story line with multiple maps.

Currently added:
moving.
Saving.
Part 1 of map 1
colors.

Colors subject to change drastically. I will prob get cooler colors and get a outside background!

# = teleporters
% = spawn
^<>v = guy

More coming soon!

Screenies!
Spoiler
The_Awe35 #2
Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:45 PM
Sounds cool! You could add some icons that you could push to add a bit of complexity to it.
AnDwHaT5 #3
Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:35 PM
I will do my best!
ikke009 #4
Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:44 PM
This looks a lot like an rpg I tried to make a long time ago.. think it was my third computercraft program or something.
I had no idea what I was doing though and I had about 20 tables just to get my guy to walk trough the level xD
So obviously I stopped that project when I learned how to do stuff like that properly..
Good luck :)/>
AnDwHaT5 #5
Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:03 PM
Thanks the trick i am using for movement is it saving the coords your at. What i do is make a base coord then use math functions to build of of it. Then it saves the coord and recalls the term.setCursorPos. You must make a while true do in order to do this with key functions. Currently the coding i am using is a bit not advanced but i will advance it if need be. I prob will and make it into one file. Right now i have 2 files the base file and a file with coord data which is used with each movement. The entire free moving code was like 65 lines :D/>.
ikke009 #6
Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:09 PM
Yeah object orientated programming is the way to go for a program like this. As I said when I had a go at it I had no idea what I was doing :P/>
I might do it again once I finish my current project, shouldn't be hard at all with the things I've learned over the past year. But yeah we'll see about that later xD

edit: If I were you I would make everything in one file, as long as you have some way to move around in that file easily (notepad++ or something).
If you want to use multiple files I'd do it to store the level graphics. Coordinate data for movement can be stored in literally one line of code, so unless you have some weird way of doing the movement theres no need to store that in another file.
Tjakka5 #7
Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:17 PM
Thats actually a realy smart way of moving the player!

Good luck with your game, can't wait to play it!
AnDwHaT5 #8
Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:36 PM
Thanks once i figure out how to make the walls which i made but dosnt work i will do a alpha release. Hmm how can i explain the walls without showing the whole code XD. I am trying to make it so if y ever = 1 then it wont let you go through. I do that by setting the pos to the current position and printing it again but it goes to the other side of the screen and if i hit up again it disappears. I will get it its just the walls are a huge issue right now.
billysback #9
Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:43 PM
this is kinda similar to my now-sort-of-abandoned project "Pixel Boy", take a look at the code from that if you want:
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/13178-pixel-boy-for-now-a-game-for-computercraft/page__hl__pixel__fromsearch__1
Ashton #10
Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:02 PM
*GASP* It's Temple of Apshai! (old, old, old game from the C64 days)