This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Apfeldstrudel's profile picture

Good chatting client?

Started by Apfeldstrudel, 02 July 2013 - 05:23 AM
Apfeldstrudel #1
Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:23 AM
Hi!

Me and a couple of people (from different time zones) are chatting through the computercraft forum messenger.
But we are looking for a better way to chat.

It is crucial for us that the chat is saved, for example:

I write something when the others are asleep. When they log on they can all see my message
Any tips?
TorakTu #2
Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:32 AM
Hi!

Me and a couple of people (from different time zones) are chatting through the computercraft forum messenger.
But we are looking for a better way to chat.

It is crucial for us that the chat is saved, for example:

I write something when the others are asleep. When they log on they can all see my message
Any tips?

Create a type of flat file database. Then when they log into their chat program, it will pull any saved messages that has their name on it. A flat file is just a simple text file that you format yourself. So you would add the date, the name of the sender, and then the message.

Once the person logs in and retrieves their messages, it would delete the messages off the "main server". And yes, you need to setup a computer that would be your main server that stays online all the time. This server would store all the messages.
Apfeldstrudel #3
Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:36 AM
Ermh… Like IRC or skype or raidcall
TorakTu #4
Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:52 AM
Ermh… Like IRC or skype or raidcall

Not sure what your referring to here. Almost all of these chat programs have a database in this manner. Gtalk, before they closed the website to force people into that other crappy chat software, was the same way. If your talking about REAL VOICE CHAT software, that's a total different subject and beyond the scope of ComputerCraft.
Apfeldstrudel #5
Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:45 AM
Yeah, it's just about communication(not ingame)

Don't those spftwares save on your computer? Again:
I write something- pthers offline.
I log out
They log in,message is saved on my computer(shut down)
billysback #6
Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:47 AM
what's wrong with skype?
ShadowedZenith #7
Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:00 AM
Skype can send messages to offline users if I remember right. The way most chat software works now days is the message is sent to a database for storage. It's not really stored on your computer outside of logs your computer might or might not produce, but these logs have nothing to do with the message outside of what it contained at the time of sending.
Apfeldstrudel #8
Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:19 AM
Oohhh, i see thanks
unobtanium #9
Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:17 AM
I allways tought that Skype worked like that:
I can send a message to my friend. If he comes online he wont see it until i come online as well. I dont know how it works with conversations, but probably the same. At least one has to be online to let the other ones see what happened (considering that he experienced the messages before somehow as well).
Dont think that skype saves all chat conversations on one of their servers, do they? :S
ShadowedZenith #10
Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:03 AM
I allways tought that Skype worked like that:
I can send a message to my friend. If he comes online he wont see it until i come online as well. I dont know how it works with conversations, but probably the same. At least one has to be online to let the other ones see what happened (considering that he experienced the messages before somehow as well).
Dont think that skype saves all chat conversations on one of their servers, do they? :S

How do you think that it gets to your friend when they're offline and their computer isn't on/online? Anytime a service offers "offline messaging", it's pretty clear cut that that message will be stored on a server somewhere, even if it's only temporarily. And, I've never once seen your example happen with Skype. Anytime I've logged in, I've gotten the message regardless of the other person's online status.

Either way, chat clients do almost always hit a server at some point owned by the client's creator (in Skype's case, Microsoft). They very likely log conversations for obvious reasons.
Dlcruz129 #11
Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:07 PM
Skype or E-Mail