This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
louisrocks40's profile picture

[1.33] Monitor Flickering Bug?

Started by louisrocks40, 22 April 2012 - 05:22 PM
louisrocks40 #1
Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:22 PM
Whenever I change the angle that I am looking at a monitor, the text flickers or disappears entirely until I change the camera angle. This also happens to me with the tops of iron bars flickering at the point where it connects with the block.. If you also experience this, please reply. Is it a problem with my graphics card, adapter or even monitor? The attachment is a screenshot. After a few seconds of standing still, it goes back to normal, but any information on this will be helpful! Thanks for your time! P.S: Sorry for the title mistake, should have read the "how-to" post on reporting bugs.

[attachment=183:2012-04-22_14.17.46.png]
Ludburghmdm #2
Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:36 AM
Hi, I've had this problem before but i forgot the solution. I think it has something to do with Advanced Open GL though.

As for the title just click Edit then Under the text box, there should be Three (3) buttons Saying "Save Changes", "Use Full Editor" and "or Cancel. Click the button saying "Use Full Editor" to edit it completely Including the title.

Hope i helped!
louisrocks40 #3
Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:55 PM
Hi, I've had this problem before but i forgot the solution. I think it has something to do with Advanced Open GL though.

As for the title just click Edit then Under the text box, there should be Three (3) buttons Saying "Save Changes", "Use Full Editor" and "or Cancel. Click the button saying "Use Full Editor" to edit it completely Including the title.

Hope i helped!

Thanks for the help with the forum, still fiddling around with graphics settings though. I have optifine installed, so i'll see if anything on it fixes it, or optifine itself is the problem. I'll get back with a solution, assuming i find one!
Cast #4
Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:46 PM
Hey man. Did you or anybody else ever figure out the stable setting to fix the monitor bug in optifine? I just downloaded and noticed it too. I have followed all the instructions I could to fix the problem but still can't find a solution. This guy mention its a Z-buffer error with the text on the screen, but I'm still looking for a solution. http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/825-131smpssp-monitor-text-drawing-z-glitch/page__p__5468__hl__optifine__fromsearch__1#entry5468
coolblockj #5
Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:59 PM
Are you using tekkit ?
Cast #6
Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:14 PM
No, I mod my client seperately, but I do have alot of their popular mods installed. I know what the cause is…it is optifine. I was just wondering if anyone has found a solution or knows a tweak to fix it. I read that is isn't going to be patched for computercraft somewhere around here…which is a bummer. Optifine is a pretty big deal and a nice companion to have along with everything else. But choosing between optifine and CC…I choose to keep my monitors and programs in hope of a future fix or better option. MCpatcher will do for now.
Cloudy #7
Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:36 PM
Well the latest versions of Forge have HD patching built in - so Optifine doesn't have as much of a use case as it would do on vanilla.

As for fixing the issue - we are not quite sure how it is caused, and we have tried to fix it in the past - we thought it was fixed (I used to experience the same issue, but now I don't). However, we will delve into the rendering part of the code again and see if we can fix it.

Thanks for letting us know.
Cast #8
Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:50 AM
Yeah no worries. Its not a terrible thing…only when you have larger monitors and you are far away is it really that noticeable. I understand that everything isn't supposed to be holding hands, but I just like optifine (thus far) because of its menu options and customizability. But I like my dj diddy computer with a built in laser defense system and automated nuclear fission baby maker more. Keep up the good work CC.
Kadecamz #9
Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:29 PM
My graphics card doesn't support advanced OpenGL
MrBarry #10
Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:37 PM
This bug makes me sad because I made a big tower of information. Unfortunately, you can't see what's on the screen unless you are very close and you hold your head at just the right angle.
Cranium #11
Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:08 AM
  1. This may be fixed in future updates. I hope it is, but I have no idea how it would be fixed. I don't know Java.
immibis #12
Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:38 AM
It's probably just Z-fighting, which could be fixed by adding a gap between the background and the text, although I don't know how that would look
Cloudy #13
Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:42 AM
It is zfighting. We are pretty much at the maximum gap (because there is a small gap) we can manage without it looking weird. This is usually made worse by optifine multi core rendering.
KaoS #14
Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:11 AM
couldn't you make the monitor slightly smaller and then keep the text on the edge, turn it into a solid entity if you must… not sure
immibis #15
Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:02 AM
It is zfighting. We are pretty much at the maximum gap (because there is a small gap) we can manage without it looking weird. This is usually made worse by optifine multi core rendering.

What happens if you set the DepthFunc to GL_LEQUAL when rendering the text?
MrBarry #16
Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:22 AM
Would it be prohibitively difficult to draw the text on a black background in a single, monitor-sized texture, then make the screen area in cctrerrain.png be transparent?
Hazrock #17
Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:54 PM
Why should monitors flicker, but signs(which do exactly the same thing, rendering text over a texture) don't?

Btw, I got a great screenie of this in 1.4.1, attached below. No optifine. Part of the screen renders fine, some is kinda checkery, and the rest is blank.

[attachment=478:2012-09-23_12.37.01.png]
Xfel #18
Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:40 PM
because for signs, the whole sign (both background and text) is rendered in one pass. For CC monitors, the blocks itself use the default mc rendering, the text is rendered seperately.