This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Zudo's profile picture

Non-Ubuntu based Linux?

Started by Zudo, 08 July 2013 - 01:09 AM
Zudo #1
Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:09 AM
I've been using Linux Mint for a while, but I am getting bored of it so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a new distro for me. But it needs to be lightweight, and I don't want it based on Ubuntu.
M4sh3dP0t4t03 #2
Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:09 AM
What about Debian? I haven't used it myself but I heard lots of good things about it. But you would have to install a desktop yourself if you want one.
Kingdaro #3
Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:18 AM
I'd say either Manjaro, or CrunchBang.
Pharap #4
Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:22 AM
Puppy Linux: http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Or, if you speak Korean, Red-Star OS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_OS
Mads #5
Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:40 AM
Arch.
SadKingBilly #6
Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:26 AM
This chart might be useful. You'll notice that a lot of distributions are based on Debian. And there are a lot of distributions based on Ubuntu.

As for suggestions… Debian-based distros are often great for beginners (Linux Mint being the best). More advanced users might like ArchBang, which is a simpler version of Arch. Really advanced users might like Arch itself. I wouldn't recommend anything based on Red Hat. Maybe you'd like openSUSE?
ShadowedZenith #7
Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:35 AM
This chart might be useful. You'll notice that a lot of distributions are based on Debian. And there are a lot of distributions based on Ubuntu.

As for suggestions… Debian-based distros are often great for beginners (Linux Mint being the best). More advanced users might like ArchBang, which is a simpler version of Arch. Really advanced users might like Arch itself. I wouldn't recommend anything based on Red Hat. Maybe you'd like openSUSE?

So you suggest against using one of the most used Linux distrobutions?

Personally, all Linux is Linux, doesn't matter the distro. If you're wanting to get deep down into Linux, you go Gentoo or Arch. If you're wanting to try something different, since you're using a Debian-based distro (Ubuntu and its forks), go with a Red Hat based distro.
Zudo #8
Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:52 PM
OK thanks guys!
electrodude512 #9
Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:43 PM
Gentoo. It takes a while to learn how to install and use but you'll be happy you did.