This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ashvathaman's profile picture

Turtles an the new ores at FTB.

Started by ashvathaman, 14 July 2013 - 11:37 AM
ashvathaman #1
Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:37 PM
When i use a mining turtle with the extra-hard and "extra difficult to find" new ores in the new world modpack in FTB, the turtle destroy the block and drops nothing.
That happens with
  • Vulcanite ore
  • Sanguinite ore
  • Orichalcum ore
  • Adamantine ore
  • Altarus ore
  • Ardite ore
  • Cobalt ore
  • And the iron gravel, gold gravel, tin gravel…
¿It's possible that the turtle get stuck instead of destroy the block? If the turtle destroy those valuables ores, that make turtles useless to mining.

Thanks in advance
Zudo #2
Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:06 PM
Is this really a suggestion? This is probably not a problem with computercraft, but the mods in FTB.
Lyqyd #3
Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:06 PM
Did you give your turtle a diamond pickaxe or one of the other gems? If it has diamond and is destroying ores, does a player need something other than diamond to mine those ores correctly? Turtles don't care if they can successfully harvest the block they're told to dig, so be careful what you tell them to dig.
Zudo #4
Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:19 PM
Did you give your turtle a diamond pickaxe or one of the other gems? If it has diamond and is destroying ores, does a player need something other than diamond to mine those ores correctly? Turtles don't care if they can successfully harvest the block they're told to dig, so be careful what you tell them to dig.

I jumped to the worst conclusion :P/>
ashvathaman #5
Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:43 PM
The turtle has a diamond pickaxe. If you try to dig the ore with a real diamond pickaxe, you can't destroy the block, like bedrock. you need a specific metal blend pickaxe to harvest the ore.
The turtle with the diamond pickaxe should, like a real diamod pickaxe, get stuck and not destroy the ore. it's a harder-that-diamond-ore, like bedrock

If you use the wand of digging of Thaumcraft, the ore takes a loooot of time to dig.
theoriginalbit #6
Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:10 PM
The turtle with the diamond pickaxe should, like a real diamod pickaxe, get stuck and not destroy the ore.

Turtles don't care if they can successfully harvest the block they're told to dig, so be careful what you tell them to dig.

It does the same with the gem picks and obsidian.
Lyqyd #7
Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:05 PM
The turtle has a diamond pickaxe. If you try to dig the ore with a real diamond pickaxe, you can't destroy the block, like bedrock. you need a specific metal blend pickaxe to harvest the ore.
The turtle with the diamond pickaxe should, like a real diamod pickaxe, get stuck and not destroy the ore. it's a harder-that-diamond-ore, like bedrock

If you use the wand of digging of Thaumcraft, the ore takes a loooot of time to dig.

I'd imagine you could eventually break it with a diamond pickaxe, then. I believe ComputerCraft checks against whether the block is breakable at all (bedrock isn't), then breaks it and figures out what (if anything) it should receive from a diamond pickaxe breaking the specified block. A developer could confirm or deny that supposition. If that is the case (that the block is actually breakable with a diamond pickaxe), you'd have to write a script to avoid mining those ores.

The turtle with the diamond pickaxe should, like a real diamod pickaxe, get stuck and not destroy the ore.

Turtles don't care if they can successfully harvest the block they're told to dig, so be careful what you tell them to dig.

It does the same with the gem picks and obsidian.

Iridium Ore as well.
ChunLing #8
Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:16 PM
This brings up the suggestion that there be a way to tell if a turtle will be able to harvest a block.
Dlcruz129 #9
Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:35 PM
This brings up the suggestion that there be a way to tell if a turtle will be able to harvest a block.

I'd prefer if turtle.dig() returned false if the block cannot be harvested.
Sebra #10
Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:25 AM
Then you would be unable to cut leaves by Axe for example.
ashvathaman #11
Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:22 AM
If that is the case (that the block is actually breakable with a diamond pickaxe), you'd have to write a script to avoid mining those ores.

There is no way to write a script without possess the block and use the turtle.compare(), and I'm using the mining turtle to find that type of ores.

I'd prefer if turtle.dig() returned false if the block cannot be harvested.
turtle.dig() returns true if already destroy the block

Seems that a function is needed that returns false if the block will be destroyed instead of harvested. this function will return false with this "ultra-hard" blocks and with obsidian if you use a gem pickaxe instead of a diamond pickaxe.
ChunLing #12
Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:24 AM
Well, as long as tool durability isn't enabled, you can just program a turtle to mine out stone/dirt/gravel and leave everything else alone.
Sebra #13
Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:25 AM
There is a way: dig only known ores.
Cranium #14
Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:09 PM
That's not really a solution to this problem.
I do think it would be a good idea for turtles to be able to determine if an ore can be dropped.But I think it would just be better if turtles, being the masterwork of technological engineering, could be intelligent and strong enough with a diamond pickaxe to dig any ore.
Lyqyd #15
Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:31 PM
If that is the case (that the block is actually breakable with a diamond pickaxe), you'd have to write a script to avoid mining those ores.

There is no way to write a script without possess the block and use the turtle.compare(), and I'm using the mining turtle to find that type of ores.

The clear solution here is to gather one each of those ores with something else so that they can be used as samples in the turtle.

That's not really a solution to this problem.
I do think it would be a good idea for turtles to be able to determine if an ore can be dropped.But I think it would just be better if turtles, being the masterwork of technological engineering, could be intelligent and strong enough with a diamond pickaxe to dig any ore.

This is a viable route, if we don't care about tromping on other mod authors' balance decisions.
Apfeldstrudel #16
Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:51 PM
If its not incredibly impossible code wise… Make it possible to use those super picks?

Edit: as a pheripheral? I know that tools as pheripherals has been suggested before…
Tiin57 #17
Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:53 PM
Yeah, there's a reason mDiyo chose for cobalt and ardite to require better-than-diamond.

If its not incredibly impossible code wise… Make it possible to use those super picks?

It kind of wouldn't make any sense. Each pick has an effectively infinite amount of possibilities option-wise (they can have all those upgrades) and making turtles support that would add several hundred, if not thousand, turtles to the arsenal. Something I think that the devs wouldn't be too hot on.
Cranium #18
Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:49 PM
This is a viable route, if we don't care about tromping on other mod authors' balance decisions.
What part were you saying is viable, checking if anything is obtainable, or being able to pick up anything via a diamond tool?
Lyqyd #19
Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:11 PM
Oh, the second part, the being able to pick up anything. It would definitely mess up the progression in mods that require one to use their materials to create tools to gather better versions of their materials.
Andale #20
Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:39 PM
It seems to me the way to think of it is just like how the tools are programmed: 0 for hands/wood (even tho wood drops stone and hands don't), 1 for stone, 2 for iron/gold, 3 for diamond. We could then assume Tinker's (as the mod I can reference from experience) would have 4 for Alumite+

Level 3+ tools dig obsidian but Cobalt and Ardite would be lvl 4 ores that require Alumite or better. So unless you create a mod add-on to link turtles and alumite together then there should be no way other than to program it to skip them. Which wouldn't be too hard I'd imagine.
H4X0RZ #21
Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:35 PM
What's about the silktouch turtle I saw in a peripheral mod i forgot the name of. If remember right, they are able to mine obsidian,so, why wouldn't they be able to mine theese ores :D/>
Andale #22
Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:04 PM
As I said. People are assuming these ores are same level as obsidian, they're not. At least with tinkers it seems they are considered as being the next teir of hardness. Diamond works for obsidian tier 4, but only alumite, ardite, cobalt and manyullyn can mine the ardite and cobalt ores as they are tier 5 ores. I'm not sure but I imagine about 20 or 30 lines of java could make it so turtles could dig them, maybe double that to make a method for upgrading turtles to be able to. The reasons, I believe, that turtles require diamond is because they are a little overpowered in that they don't take tool damage and also because if they used iron they would not pick up obsidian but would break it uselessly. Turtles are also a bit over powered cuz they are lava/waterproof without additional effort. I remember reading back in the 1.2.5 days that in 1.4.7 they would get more complicated recipes and they haven't. I like programming in LUA so I stick around here, but if I was running a big public server I would not allow the turtles myself. This part's a bit off-topic I guess. Sorry.

Point was they can't do it without creating an upgrade but they could be designed to be ignored.
Buho #23
Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:08 AM
A turtle.isHarvestable() function might be a nice addition, but as-is with vanilla Minecraft + CC, I already build that into my logic: grass blocks are not harvestable but I can detect them with a silk-touched grass block in a certain slot in the turtle's inventory and running turtle.compare(). If a mod has a block that will yield nothing if broken with a diamond pickaxe, just add that block to your turtle's inventory and skip it if detected (and communicate it's existence for later retrieval).

On second thought, turtle.isHarvestable() would be fantastic for detecting mob spawners. As-is, my mining programs destroy them and have no way to communicate to me their existence except by detecting in situ cobblestone or mossy cobble.
Maxwelljonez #24
Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:55 PM
So basically now that Tinkers construct (TiC) is more and more popular, it seems that it would be a nice addition to look at some option to either have the turtle check for hardness of a block before harvesting it, and ignoring/resetting coming back to start or simply stopping when it's over the regular value of 3 (mineable with a diamond pick).

Another way to see that would be to allow the turtle to mine any hardness with a stupid value like 500 and let the modpack developpers check some kind of recipe that makes sense for their pack, being able to change themselves the recipe to whatever other pickaxe would fit their modpack..

In TiC, you may choose any hardness for any block and give a hardness to any pickaxe but the regular vanilla is like:
0: can be mined with hand
1: stone equivalent - can be mined with wood pick or better
2: iron level - can be mined with iron pick or better
3: diamond level - can be mined with diamond pick or better

TiC is using 8 levels by default, but the user could implement more in their configuration.
Cranium #25
Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:17 PM
Actually, with the new inspect functions, turtles can already detect what is in front of them before digging. It's a matter of extra coding for it now, and you can know exactly what is in front of your turtle before wasting time digging it.
The Lone Wolfling #26
Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:25 PM
Actually, with the new inspect functions, turtles can already detect what is in front of them before digging. It's a matter of extra coding for it now, and you can know exactly what is in front of your turtle before wasting time digging it.
As far as I know, inspect doesn't return what material is required to harvest a block. Unless I'm mistaken?

As such, you'd have to hard-code things (not) to mine, which is… Problematic.

A canHarvest function would be much more useful (or an extension to the information returned by inspect)