This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Leo Verto's profile picture

Every OS thread should contain at least 3 screenshots or a video

Started by Leo Verto, 15 July 2013 - 04:23 PM
Leo Verto #1
Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:23 PM
As you might know, I consider most of the so-called "OSes" rubbish but in case I was interested in using one of them, I would like to see how it looks like before I downloaded it.
Thus I suggest requiring every OS thread to contain at least 3 (or more) screenshots of a CC computer running that OS (without any emulator around it [not like this]) or a video so users can see what they are about to download.
Edited on 15 July 2013 - 04:26 PM
gamax92 #2
Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:24 PM
I agree, its nice to get a preview so you know what to expect.

The emulator aspect is also a nice one since the current ones aren't 100% accurate and may have their own bugs or lack of bugs people design their code around.
Cranium #3
Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:29 PM
I for one wouldn't want to enforce that rule…
MarcoBritton #4
Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:35 PM
I agree to this.
MudkipTheEpic #5
Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:41 PM
I partly agree with this. I don't think screenshots are the WHOLE problem here though, I think it's the lack of info. If you won't take the time to put a good description on your OS, I for one would not try it. I do think 3 screenies is a bit too much. Maybe 2?
Lyqyd #6
Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:31 PM
I think it would be valuable for all of the OS threads to contain a couple good screenshots. I don't think it would be valuable to require it as a rule.
Zudo #7
Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:46 AM
I agree.
nutcase84 #8
Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:55 AM
I don't think it needs to be a rule… but I do think good screenies would help.
Bubba #9
Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:20 PM
Even were it implemented as a rule (which I, for one, would disagree with), why should someone not show their product off in an emulator? My laptop barely even runs Minecraft unless I turn the settings all the way down to minimum, and even then I would not want to show off any product in it. Yes, emulators can be a bit buggy at times, but for the most part I've found them to be quite accurate to ComputerCraft in MC.

I do agree that screenshots should be given in any good OS thread, but then again individuals are free to advertise their products as much or as little as they want. If for some reason they do not feel that a screenshot is necessary, then that is their choice and it is your own choice to not download that OS.
Leo Verto #10
Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:50 PM
Even were it implemented as a rule (which I, for one, would disagree with), why should someone not show their product off in an emulator? My laptop barely even runs Minecraft unless I turn the settings all the way down to minimum, and even then I would not want to show off any product in it. Yes, emulators can be a bit buggy at times, but for the most part I've found them to be quite accurate to ComputerCraft in MC.
There happens to be a misunderstanding, I don't want them not to use any emulators but if they do so, they should at least cut off the huge border around it using an image editing program.
Dlcruz129 #11
Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:23 AM
There happens to be a misunderstanding, I don't want them not to use any emulators but if they do so, they should at least cut off the huge border around it using an image editing program.

Or just use CCDesk, rather than the miniscule, unreadable computer screens in CCEmu.
Tiin57 #12
Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:50 PM
Or just use CCDesk, rather than the miniscule, unreadable computer screens in CCEmu.
Did you even bother to read his post? He said he doesn't want the border. If I recall correctly, the border on CCDesk is actually bigger than CCEmu.
Lyqyd #13
Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:21 PM
Well, that's quite enough. Locked.