This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
iownall555's profile picture

Ubuntu Forums Hacked And Defaced. Usernames, Passwords And Emails Stolen.

Started by iownall555, 21 July 2013 - 04:57 AM
iownall555 #1
Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:57 AM
Apparently the Ubuntu Forums were hacked and defaced today/yesterday and tons of usernames, emails and passwords were stolen from their database.
According to the website it hasn't affected any of the other Ubuntu services (such as Ubuntu One). Probably a good idea to change any shared passwords.
Thoughts on this?

http://ubuntuforums.org/announce.html
http://ubuntu-discou...ust-defaced/603
nutcase84 #2
Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:38 PM
Thoughts on this?

Good thing I didn't make a Ubuntu Forums account. :D/>
Dlcruz129 #3
Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:53 PM
It was @Sputn1k_. He hacked the Yogscast and is targeting Cube World.
Thib0704 #4
Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:56 PM
wow good thing i didn't register on ubuntu forums.
iownall555 #5
Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:04 AM
It was @Sputn1k_. He hacked the Yogscast and is targeting Cube World.

Really? When abouts did he hack the Yogscast?

This bloke must think he's top s :angry:/> t defacing websites. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a script kiddie from a certain "hacker" forum (which I won't mention the name of).
Engineer #6
Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:11 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he's a script kiddie from a certain "hacker" forum (which I won't mention the name of).
What in earths name does his forum title due to this? I mean, I can be a professional coder and come on here and have 1 post. It isnt about the ******* title
Tiin57 #7
Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he's a script kiddie from a certain "hacker" forum (which I won't mention the name of).
What in earths name does his forum title due to this? I mean, I can be a professional coder and come on here and have 1 post. It isnt about the ******* title
No one mentioned a title.
GravityScore #8
Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:46 AM
No one mentioned a title.

iownall was implying script kiddies are dickheads who go around and hack forums. Engineer was saying that you shouldn't generalise people of a certain forum title like that, and that people can be excellent coders and that their forum title has nothing to do with anything, which I agree with, but not as passionately :P/>
Tiin57 #9
Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:28 AM
Again, it's not about the title. The term "script kiddie" basically means someone who is copying and pasting code from a forum or wiki. iownall isn't referring to the title for members on this forum; he's referring to the more common definition.
GravityScore #10
Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:39 AM
Again, it's not about the title. The term "script kiddie" basically means someone who is copying and pasting code from a forum or wiki. iownall isn't referring to the title for members on this forum; he's referring to the more common definition.

Oh, TIL :P/> Thanks, didn't know that.
Pharap #11
Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:59 AM
It's always amusing when forums get hacked.
Dlcruz129 #12
Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

It was pretty amusing when he hacked the Yogscast. It was just a banner and some annoying music. But this? Stealing usernames and passwords? I don't know about you, but I use the same password for almost everything (excluding important stuff like bank accounts, etc). He could easily get into people's email accounts, etc. I'm sorry, but I don't find that amusing.
Dlcruz129 #13
Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:32 AM
Sputn1k is now targetting YoYo Games, creators of Gamemaker.

Let's see how long it takes
@YoYoGamemaker to notice. ~
Pharap #14
Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

It was pretty amusing when he hacked the Yogscast. It was just a banner and some annoying music. But this? Stealing usernames and passwords? I don't know about you, but I use the same password for almost everything (excluding important stuff like bank accounts, etc). He could easily get into people's email accounts, etc. I'm sorry, but I don't find that amusing.

Well firstly, now people know they will have chance to go around changing their passwords before he can get at them.
Secondly with the sheer number of people using the forums it would take a long time to get through them all, and they aren't all going to be signed up to the same sites, so each one will take a bit of searching to find. Generally most people who know about it are safe if they act upon it, it's only the people he's already managed to target and the people who don't know who are in trouble. Aside from which, like you said, most sensible people don't use the same passwords they use for forums for important things like bank accounts and the like, so overall he's likely only going to be able to cause general mischief and trolling, nothing serious. So all in all, yes it's bad, but it could be worse. If anything it's going to cause as much good as bad, because it will make the forums more safety-concious so they'll improve security and thus they'll be less likely to be hacked.

(And out of interest, I have at least 10 different passwords, and their frequency of use generally correspond to how much I care about loosing a particular account. Someone finding out the most used one would cause issues, but I have the advantage of knowing which accounts use what passwords and variations, so if someone stole it, I'd at least be able to salvage the majority. )
Cranium #15
Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:23 PM
Hacking for a prank is one thing. Hacking for malicious intent or personal gain is another.

That said, good thing I don't use Linux, so I have no reason to have an account there.
PixelToast #16
Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:07 PM
:o/> shame on you
i had 2 accounts that i never used on those forums
D3matt #17
Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:18 PM
Whether you believe it or not, he did release a tweet saying he has no intention to use the copied data, making it a "prank/lesson-learned" hack if he's truthful.
http://www.twitlonge.../show/n_1rlft0d
iownall555 #18
Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

As a few people have pointed out, I wasn't blaming anyone on this forums for it, nor was I saying it was to do with user title. I was simply pointing out that it could have been someone from a well known hacker forum.

Whether you believe it or not, he did release a tweet saying he has no intention to use the copied data, making it a "prank/lesson-learned" hack if he's truthful.
http://www.twitlonge.../show/n_1rlft0d

Whatever his intention, I still think he's a bit of a douche for doing it.

Also, why does vBulletin store passwords as md5s? Aren't most forums using SHA-1 (or some stronger varient) nowadays?
Cloudy #19
Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:34 PM
Don't give these dudes any attention. That's what they want. Locked.