This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Fifi's profile picture

[1.5 (For Modpacks) And Newer] Turtle Ownership Lock.

Started by Fifi, 21 July 2013 - 04:57 AM
Fifi #1
Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:57 AM
I want to suggest configuration option for making all Turtles (and Advanced Turtles) locked, so they can be destroyed and controlled (emergency termination interrupts, input, etc.) only by their owner (the person who placed them first). It would be a really nice addition, because we can prevent turtles from griefing - by editing Turtle API, but we can't protect them from being destroyed by random inmature players. That's why such configuration option (or cancellable destruction and interaction events) would be very useful for all servers focused on ComputerCraft fun. I think such an improvement could increase this mod popularity even more.

By the way, I want to tell you that I'm really impressed by your mod - it really doubles the fun coming from playing Minecraft. :)/> Good luck in a future developement!

PS. I wasn't sure which version I should tag this topic to (I use 1.5 version because of modpack my server will be based on, but of course it would be awesome to include it in the newest version). It would be really nice if it could be included in the nearest update, as it's kinda important function (and it's about 20-40 lines of code in Java, so maybe it doesn't have to wait until the next big release? ^^).
Please, if my question won't be accepted or sth, respond to it with the reason - this function is really important to me (and I think not only to me), so I'm curious if it'll be taken under consideration.
SadKingBilly #2
Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:02 AM
Frankly, I hate it when mods add blocks that only their placer can destroy. There's a reason vanilla MineCraft doesn't have any blocks like this. Honestly, I'd rather someone grief me by destroying my turtle than grief me by sending an army ofunstoppable turtles to my base.
Fifi #3
Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:16 AM
because we can prevent turtles from griefing - by editing Turtle API, but we can't protect them from being destroyed by random inmature players

There's also a reason for existence of protection plugins. And I'm sad when a mod works in a way which makes protecting extremly difficult. I respect people who prefer pure survival, but I want to make a FreeBuild server, where players will focus on using technology for common profit - and that's why I want to protect Turtles from being destroyed. ;)/> Everyone have their own playstyle, but I knew a lot of ComputerCraft servers which have disabled Turtles because they were unprotectible (and I want to help FreeBuild servers and players communities by this suggestion).

I know Java and Lua, so I can modify CraftOS API to prevent Turtles from being unstoppable army of griefers, but sadly I can't do the same with protecting Turtles from evil players (without pushing the server to it's limits with heavy Lua workarounds code).

In short: I will block turtles from griefing by automated cuboid system (tested on my previous servers) connected with modified API - which will allow Turtles to modify only non-claimed areas and areas, which belongs to the Turtle owner.
immibis #4
Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:06 AM
Allowing protection mods to prevent block placement, interaction and breaking is Forge's job. (and for some reason they used to keep rejecting the idea, but I've heard it's different in 1.6)
GothicMage #5
Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:28 PM
Turtles are forbidden/limited/limited by API for 80% forge-servers. Case? They're already imbalanced. And you want to make it indestructable…
I would frist think about the way to stop abuse of those guys, then 'bout protecting 'em.
Dex_Luther #6
Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:52 PM
Turtles are forbidden/limited/limited by API for 80% forge-servers. Case? They're already imbalanced. And you want to make it indestructable…
I would frist think about the way to stop abuse of those guys, then 'bout protecting 'em.

agreed. If they're destroying turtles that don't belong to them on purpose, then why are they even on your server in the first place?
Lyqyd #7
Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:34 PM
The developers' line on this has been that they will only look into permissions of any sort once it is a feature of Forge.