This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
ratchetgame98's profile picture

Programs For My Server

Started by ratchetgame98, 24 July 2013 - 01:36 PM
ratchetgame98 #1
Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:36 PM
I need a lot of programs for my computercraft server, so i decided, rather than spamming the forums for one program, I'll make a topic for all the programs i would like.

For my server, I need a program that projects what you do on the computer on a monitor, by using the largest monitors you can use, or resize to what size you want. Like always I will appreciate it
Sharidan #2
Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:57 PM
Not to be rude or anything, but have you considered writing these programs yourself? Or at least give it a try?

Quoting the last bullet of the "Get help faster" thread:
Don't expect people to write your code for you! If you don't want to write the code yourself, then you won't get anywhere.

Link to said thread: http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/475-get-help-faster-read-me/

There's something like thousands of threads and posts with all kinds of topics and functions here. A bit of searching in the forum can point you in the right direction and the wiki actually contains useful information on all the available API's that ComputerCraft ships with. A bit of time and research on the wiki alone, will yield you all the information you need to write a program that can do exactly what you are requesting done here. We are not here to write your programs for you - we are here because we either seek help learning / understanding code, getting our code fixed or to assist others getting their code to work.

Please give it a shot yourself before requesting us to write a ton of programs for you. Like the bullet says: you wont get anywhere if you don't put in some efford yourself.

Just a friendly reminder :)/>

(For staff here: I'm not trying to appear as a staff member - I just don't like lazy people expecting others to do the work for them, so please forgive me if this post makes me appear as impersonating staff)
ratchetgame98 #3
Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:25 AM
Not to be rude or anything, but have you considered writing these programs yourself? Or at least give it a try?

Quoting the last bullet of the "Get help faster" thread:
Don't expect people to write your code for you! If you don't want to write the code yourself, then you won't get anywhere.

Link to said thread: http://www.computerc...faster-read-me/

There's something like thousands of threads and posts with all kinds of topics and functions here. A bit of searching in the forum can point you in the right direction and the wiki actually contains useful information on all the available API's that ComputerCraft ships with. A bit of time and research on the wiki alone, will yield you all the information you need to write a program that can do exactly what you are requesting done here. We are not here to write your programs for you - we are here because we either seek help learning / understanding code, getting our code fixed or to assist others getting their code to work.

Please give it a shot yourself before requesting us to write a ton of programs for you. Like the bullet says: you wont get anywhere if you don't put in some efford yourself.

Just a friendly reminder :)/>

(For staff here: I'm not trying to appear as a staff member - I just don't like lazy people expecting others to do the work for them, so please forgive me if this post makes me appear as impersonating staff)

Some code I can write personally, but I am quite new to computercraft. I don't expect people to write the code for me, but I do appreciate help from others. I try my best with the lua language, but advanced stuff, like projector monitors, am "Clueless" at some things. Not everyone is a pro at everything. (I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but everybody needs help sometimes)
Lord_Spelunky #4
Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:15 AM
What you are suggesting is quite complicated and tedious , because all you can do on a computer also means that it will show everything so you will have to edit programs like edit. which is very complicated and honestly i doubt people would do it for you, considering your first post. It feels better to write programs yourself, then you can know how they work and why. Whereas when someone writes it for you, it just complicates things. Here is a suggestion: Get better at programming and do it yourself. Sorry to be so angry but this is the truth.
ZagKalidor #5
Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:13 PM
Also: there is a thread where everyone, who wants to, can post their programs for public domain. Go there, search there. You will find mostly what you need.
ratchetgame98 #6
Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:02 PM
What you are suggesting is quite complicated and tedious , because all you can do on a computer also means that it will show everything so you will have to edit programs like edit. which is very complicated and honestly i doubt people would do it for you, considering your first post. It feels better to write programs yourself, then you can know how they work and why. Whereas when someone writes it for you, it just complicates things. Here is a suggestion: Get better at programming and do it yourself. Sorry to be so angry but this is the truth.
I think what you posted is fair and I am trying my best at learning more on the language. I'm not trying to get people to write the code for me at all, and I don't expect them to either, but I'm just asking for some help, for example, which functions do I need to use or when do I need to put while loops or if statements. If someone could help me with that, I'll probably get better at coding in lua.
Also: there is a thread where everyone, who wants to, can post their programs for public domain. Go there, search there. You will find mostly what you need.
I have checked the program's forums and the only one I could find is the one I currently use and that one is rubbish, no offence to bigshinytoys, your coding is pretty good, but if I try to edit the program to be compatible with the largest monitors possible, there is always an error saying that I need something extra to the code to get it working, and I can't find what the error is telling me.
Example error

bios:337 split line 3 boolean expected
I'm not sure what Boolean I need to use or where in line 3 I need to put it or why I need it in the first place
Sorry for my anger, but sometimes the errors I get are whacky like the example one above and the only way I can fix it is by removing whatever I added in line 3 before the error
ZagKalidor #7
Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:35 AM
Btw. What programs would you need