This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Lord_Spelunky's profile picture

New Event "monitor_Walk"

Started by Lord_Spelunky, 27 July 2013 - 07:06 AM
Lord_Spelunky #1
Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:06 AM
Well because advanced monitors can be placed on the ground now, wouldn't it be really cool to have a monitor_walk event, I don't know how easy it is to program(java wise), and I searched this in the bar and nothing came up. I think it would be amazing and you could make some pretty cool stuff, like you could know your location in your house, then a turtle could follow you around or something, computers and turtles would still be blind, and it would require a lot of programming but it would be really neat.

I apologise if someone has suggested this and I have not found it.

Ps:I know there is a way to detect what block a player is standing on, but I have no other idea XD Want to get into very basic modding soon though
Zudo #2
Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:55 AM
hmm… interesting idea!
Cloudy #3
Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:02 AM
Already planned - but it won't be a separate event. It will be the monitor touch event, when I work out a good way to do do it.
Lord_Spelunky #4
Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:13 AM
Woop :D/>
MulticolouredMarshmellow #5
Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:25 AM
I put this on the replies on the main page, i guess you put it here, you beat me to it! Nice job
QuantumZ #6
Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:17 AM
To add to this a bit. I think the ability to detect mobs on the monitor would be interesting.
Cranium #7
Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:54 AM
Detecting mobs would be weird to do. I can see detecting if a mob/player were on it, but distinguishing the two from each other doesn't sound feasable, considering the monitors are only getting a touch event, and nothing else.
immibis #8
Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:26 PM
Do mobs walking on a monitor currently trigger touch events?
What about players touching the side or bottom of a monitor?
Symmetryc #9
Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:07 AM
Will there be an added return value from the monitor_touch event that specifies if it was by hand/foot/player/mob? It would be cool :P/>.
Engineer #10
Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:12 AM
Will there be an added return value from the monitor_touch event that specifies if it was by hand/foot/player/mob? It would be cool :P/>.
I assume this is not going to happen. I think it is going to be your regular monitor_touch event, but then when you are walking on it. And that makes sense, because you actually touch the monitor ;)/>
I think this is kinda confirmed by a post cloudy made here:
Already planned - but it won't be a separate event. It will be the monitor touch event, when I work out a good way to do do it.
Cranium #11
Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:27 AM
I highly doubt that there will be any additional values returned by the monitor based on what body part is touching it, or what mob is touching it. It has no way to discern what is touching it, only that it is being touched.
Having it detect what mobs and what body parts are touching it is like giving turtles the ability to detect who is interacting with it, and detecting mobs. It's just not going to happen.
Zudo #12
Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:52 PM
Its been confirmed :)/>

I am looking forward to seeing creations made with this, maybe a disco floor which changes colour when you step on it!
TheOddByte #13
Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:29 PM
Its been confirmed :)/>/>

I am looking forward to seeing creations made with this, maybe a disco floor which changes colour when you step on it!
Yay! :D/>
I'm going to create a house with only monitors as floors and keep track of where I am so I can have a servant turtle as well as seeing if there are any intruders! :P/> (Even though this is already possible)
Wiiplay123 #14
Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:51 PM
I actually had some neat ideas of what to do with this kind of stuff…
  1. Dance Dance Revolution!!!
  2. Turn the lights on only where you are.
  3. Have your turtles give you your diamond pickaxe and mining turtle using terminal glasses and monitors combined!
  4. Killing intruders!
  5. Redirecting terminals to computers near you, while having a single server computer that all your stuff goes to! (Like every computer in your house is actually remote controlling a server.)
  6. Dropping kittens near you!
But seriously, this would be AMAZING!
svdragster #15
Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:20 PM
  1. Dance Dance Revolution!

You are so right! We can make games playable on monitors like never before!
Zudo #16
Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:55 PM
Maybe something like

mon.getEntityType(x,y)

would be good?
Lord_Spelunky #17
Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:54 PM
I think that is too, precise. You maybe get type of feet or something
H4X0RZ #18
Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:13 PM
Would be coolnto get the name of the user who is walking on it :)/>
Cranium #19
Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:47 PM
No. Your touchscreen phone does not know who you are just by your touch. If and when this gets implemented it will not be able to return values like the name of the player, the type of mob, or what you are carrying. It will be a simple, touch screen interface that would be the same as the advanced monitors we already have.
Tinyboss #20
Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:34 PM
I've got a system that can get this information, using sensor blocks from OpenPeripherals. I can track multiple players, find their coordinates relative to any connected screens, and even tell where they're looking. This last bit should allow us to know who is responsible for any given monitor_touch event, i.e. the player who is currently looking at (or nearest) the point where it was registered. It implements "monitor_walk" functionality, as well.
jay5476 #21
Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:57 AM
cloudy take a look at the redstone ore coding since it lights up on touch, walk, punch and something else I think
theoriginalbit #22
Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:33 AM
cloudy take a look at the redstone ore coding since it lights up on touch, walk, punch and something else I think
Yes there is a method in Minecraft that gets called when an entity walks on a block, but that is not why he stated "when I work out a good way to do do it." its not a matter of how to do it in Minecraft, its how to do it in a way that does not spam the event queue, does it accurately (because the method doesn't say where they stepped, only that they stepped), and various other things like where would the entity register, where it first steps? where its foot connects with the block, or the middle of its spread all the time? What about multi feet entities? etc, etc, etc. There is lots of other things to consider before implementing, implementing the basic code Java side with the way MC is designed is dead easy.
H4X0RZ #23
Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:49 AM
No. Your touchscreen phone does not know who you are just by your touch. If and when this gets implemented it will not be able to return values like the name of the player, the type of mob, or what you are carrying. It will be a simple, touch screen interface that would be the same as the advanced monitors we already have.
what's about the iPhone 5? It can detect your fingerprint and compare them with a saved one. then it know who you are :D/>
theoriginalbit #24
Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:52 AM
what's about the iPhone 5? It can detect your fingerprint and compare them with a saved one. then it know who you are :D/>
That is not the screen, that is a secondary device, like a player detector in MiscPeripherals.
Cranium #25
Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:03 AM
At any rate, any features that the floor or ceiling monitors would have would not give ANY more features than the ones on the walls with the exception of detecting that something is walking on it, and it WILL be a monitor_touch event, just like if you click on the screen. They're not different peripherals people, they're just facing a different way.
masterdisasterHD #26
Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:14 PM
wouldn't it be better if it were called "monitor_step" ?
theoriginalbit #27
Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:42 PM
wouldn't it be better if it were called "monitor_step" ?
No. And this is why.

At any rate, any features that the floor or ceiling monitors would have would not give ANY more features than the ones on the walls with the exception of detecting that something is walking on it, and it WILL be a monitor_touch event, just like if you click on the screen. They're not different peripherals people, they're just facing a different way.
Alice #28
Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:12 PM
Grand idea on how to do the Java work:
When the player touches it trigger the event.
If the player's location hasn't moved a magnitude of 0.1 within the last tick, don't trigger the event
If the player has moved, but is now undetectable, don't trigger the event.
Lyqyd #29
Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:40 PM
Looks like this discussion is well past its useful/interesting prime. Locked.