This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
axciom's profile picture

[1.4] Portable Computer or a Personal Digital Assistant(PDA)

Started by axciom, 26 April 2012 - 05:50 AM
axciom #1
Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:50 AM
An idea similar to this has already been suggested in one of the comments of the Laptop idea.

But for this type of portable computer I plan on implementing my own ideas.
Its Operating System should be no different from a normal computer but can be stored and accessed from right-clicking it while holding it. It should have its own built in modem.
It can be placed into the disk drive to transport files to and from the PDA.

Now Imagine if you can program a PDA to send and receive messages, Well then, You've just programmed yourself a Cellphone inside minecraft and If you want to move your turtle without having to stay in one place or actually if you dont want to follow your turtle all the time.. you could just use program the turtle to receive commands from the pda and you now have a remote controlled turtle.

The Possibilities are endless, just use your imagination.
Tell me what you think. :)/>/>
OmegaVest #2
Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:23 PM
Minor variation on something that has been requested/suggested before. Lots, actually. Take a look at the peripheral library when you get a chance, by the way.

So, for your features:
Built in modem: Suggested before, common rule. Peripheral made a special network for it.
OS as normal computer: Little overpowered. Maybe can run programs, but can't edit them directly. Or make is only a lua interface.
Disk Drive for PC Interface: Nice innovation. I like the idea.

Now, compared to other ideas before, this is definitely unique. Compare with: placeable laptops that can also open in hand, current PDA third-party peripheral that is a little more than a mobile GUI generator.

So, all in all: Good, maybe a pit over-requested item, but a new take, and if you think about some of what I have said here, then good.
LipJ #3
Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:09 PM
I like it, I think that the player should be able to walk while there is no need for input. This would meen you could follow your rc turtle around a mine.
Teraminer #4
Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:19 PM
Nice idea, it would be usefull that way you could make a in-game compani that give's the user access to there network!!! :)/>/>
Spoiler.:Troll:.
Neowulf #5
Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:29 AM
Recipe of gold ingots along the sides, redstone in the middle, wireless modem in top middle and a diamond bottom middle (for the screen) would make it quite expensive.
Built in wireless but no redstone signal outputs of it's own (obviously, though having the player emit a signal would be interesting).
Screen size of a turtle plus a built in peripheral that allows it to display to a virtual monitor in your HUD, so it can display information while you aren't actively using it.
Maybe 2 or 3 hotkeys that can be caught as events by the PDA?
connor #6
Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:58 AM
you should ttotaly make something like this DUDE!!!
Leo Verto #7
Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:36 PM
Use this to run around, find open rednet networks and sponge the traffic. :)/>/>
I really like this, especially using the PDA as cellphone, maybe it could change color just like modems do when being activated?
If this became possible, I could set my server chat range to 10 blocks and you would need computers and PDAs for everything further than that, just as in real life.
strideynet #8
Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:37 AM
Leo that's a great idea.
Only once we code it
BigSHinyToys #9
Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:10 PM
This would be a very useful tool only problem is it would be massive overpowered. you are talking about creating a computer with the same computational power of the normal 1M,1M square in a very small area the best way to limit its power would be to enforce a limit on its clock speed. something like 50 Mhz or limiting its storage to 100 Kb this would make programing for it a harder task and discourage usage of it as anything more than a user input. I like the idea or making it like a drive the alternative would be a memory chip that can be programed in a disk drive and then installed in a PDA / net book / laptop (what ever you want to call it)
Neowulf #10
Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:14 PM
Why the obsession with slowing a pda's execution rate down?
What exactly would it change?
BigSHinyToys #11
Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:47 AM
A) it would make programing for it more challenging (how doesn't like a challenge)
B) CC is loosely based around 80's tech computers PDA's were small slow devices capable or extremely basic tasks.
C) computers will always be faster than PDA's/mobiles (era to era)
D) why would you ever use a computer again if a PDA could do everything that a normal computer could do and was portable.
E) game balance.
Leo Verto #12
Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:14 AM
I totally agree with BigSHinyToys, PDAs should be limited.
Maybe they can hold only one file that is only available as autostart.

They also should have a smaller GUI then computers.
axciom #13
Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it, but you people are right, The PDA should not have all what a computer has, I mean bringing around a computer that may be accessed right from your hotbar anywhere anytime, so possibly, it could only run default programs(like cp, rm) and what has been transferred to it from a computer. One thing a computer has that it wouldn't have is the possibility to input and output redstone charges or whatnot.
Xfel #14
Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:02 PM
A) it would make programing for it more challenging (how doesn't like a challenge)
:)/>/> CC is loosely based around 80's tech computers PDA's were small slow devices capable or extremely basic tasks.
D) why would you ever use a computer again if a PDA could do everything that a normal computer could do and was portable.
E) game balance.

for D): Computers can interface/control peripherals and redston. You won't ever get this with an item.
Also you should know that it is not possible to limit execution speed. and a limited filesystem would also not be that good. I would also like to use custom programs on them.
Just limit the gui size. And maybe set that it is only running as long as you keep the gui open.
Neowulf #15
Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:54 PM
:)/>/> CC is loosely based around 80's tech computers PDA's were small slow devices capable or extremely basic tasks.
E) game balance.
Smaller display and much more expensive to craft should be enough.

Concerns over the speed/storage of a pda would be justified if not for a couple realities.
1: It cannot interface directly with redstone or peripherals, you'd still have to code a C&C setup to run over wireless to a normal computer that would actually perform the interfacing.
2: It's not like there would be a hollywood API for it. "LUA <enter> hollywood.redirectAllFunctionsToMyPDAInACompletelyIntuitiveMannerThatBypassesAllNormalProgrammingComplexities() <enter>"
3: I can't kill a creeper with raw computing power, and the only way to move a mountain is with a mining turtle. You will never run into this situation on an SMP server: "Oh no! He had a PDA! I'll never be able to deploy and startup my computer in time to fight back! Curses, if only PDA's didn't have the processing power to run ZapKillem2.0Extreme! He is a mobile god of death!"
4: Repeate. Processing power alone does nothing, only interfacing with the world in general gives you any benefit.

Beyond an immense speed reduction, to like 1 command per second execution rate (which would make PDAs worthless), restricting the processing power of a particular class of computer would merely add complexities to the mod itself. Why make the mod less efficient just to make it slightly more "realistic" compared to 80's tech?
Why not go all the way? PDAs can only store phone numbers and addresses, computers must load drivers to access peripherals/networking/redstone and only 1 can be used at any one time, wired networking only and you have to craft vampire taps to connect a computer to a ring of redwire, and you have to compile your programs for 7 hours before you can test and see if they work.</enter></enter>
Cloudy #16
Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:59 PM
I don't think PDA's are a bad idea personally - I have had a POC working at one point, but it required editing dans decompiled classes which is a no no - so I stopped working on it until I could find a better way to do it.

I think if PDA's were introduced by dan/a third party, they should just have rednet support and no redstone or peripheral interfacing capability - although they could perhaps connect to a base station block of some kind to be used like a regular computer.
Leo Verto #17
Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:37 AM
If PDAs had redstone support…

*PDA* You are now enterting TNT city, activating redstone output…
Player: What the…
*PDA* Have a nice day!
*BOOM*
kazagistar #18
Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:00 AM
My turtles triangulate distance from me, and hover in a giant protective perimiter. Seems legit.
djblocksaway #19
Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:47 AM
This isnt a bad idea but its already been suggested i think :S
Neowulf #20
Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:43 PM
Turtle 1 follows my signal vector.
Turtle 2 follows turtle 1's signal.
This continues for 14 more turtles.

Love train!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr45DmZDjSc
Leo Verto #21
Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:31 AM
I like the idea of using a PDA to call turtles, maybe if you found a position you would like to mine at or a giant rubber tree for your Lumberjack turtles…

…or your enemies house, just ready the bomber turtles, give them the position via PDA and view them bombing that house. :)/>/>
Teraminer #22
Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:37 AM
For the love of Balancing why could we just not being able to programs them alone, they would need a disk that has been coded from a computer and that way they only can have 1 program.

P.S. limiting the execution speed is a bad idea cause it would make this complitely worthless and it would be never impeled it the game.
Xfel #23
Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:59 AM
I recently took a look into the cc bytecode and saw that dan tried to seperate the core classes from the rest. These aren't dependeant on the minecraft base classes (exept for one font-related and for the nbttagcompond class), so it would be possible to create other computer types. This enables eg. to create emulators, but it also allows for third party mods to use the cc computer engine. Of course these work only if cc is installed as the classes can't be redistributed, but it would work.
Cloudy #24
Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:47 AM
I recently took a look into the cc bytecode and saw that dan tried to seperate the core classes from the rest. These aren't dependeant on the minecraft base classes (exept for one font-related and for the nbttagcompond class), so it would be possible to create other computer types. This enables eg. to create emulators, but it also allows for third party mods to use the cc computer engine. Of course these work only if cc is installed as the classes can't be redistributed, but it would work.

The main thing standing in the way of a handheld item is that the Computer class takes a TileEntity in its constructor parameters. Obviously that wouldn't work with an item. I should look into it again when I get the chance.
Xfel #25
Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:21 PM
there is a seperate core package with the classes Computer, ComputerThread, FileSystem, HTTPRequest and Terminal. And ther is an IComputerEnvironment Interface that replaces the tile entity. Multiplayer would be a problem though, as the network code seems to be dependant on tile entities.
Cloudy #26
Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:57 PM
there is a seperate core package with the classes Computer, ComputerThread, FileSystem, HTTPRequest and Terminal. And ther is an IComputerEnvironment Interface that replaces the tile entity. Multiplayer would be a problem though, as the network code seems to be dependant on tile entities.

Ah, that has changed since I last looked into it. Time to delve into it again and see if I can hack anything together :)/>/>
PixelToast #27
Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:49 PM
instead of having the pda being the computer itself, why not just open up the gui of an existing computer
Leo Verto #28
Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:53 PM
instead of having the pda being the computer itself, why not just open up the gui of an existing computer
Interesting idea, but that's not how a PDA works, that's more kind of a mobile remote controller.
PixelToast #29
Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:28 AM
Interesting idea, but that's not how a PDA works, that's more kind of a mobile remote controller.
well you could have them running paralel on different displays
coolblockj #30
Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:22 AM
I like the ideas of it being very limited, however I think it should be able to like connect to the computer, so if you needed to you could download files to/from the PDA.
djhackerr #31
Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:45 PM
i'm thinking that it will be nice if we colud add new OS to PDA (specially designed) but PDA must be lack of options, except you can send txt-s etc…
Teraminer #32
Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:12 AM
Just a normal computer BUT to have code in it you put it in a diskdrive (we have no USB) and just edit dist/<name of program(s)>.
Left4Cake #33
Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:32 AM
My idea on the limitations.
Smaller Screen
Must keep it in your hand or at least on the toolbar to keep it turned on.
Limited battery that must get recharged by a computer with a disk drive (battery show on screen when in hand, toolbar. or inventory)
Can't use http api (but can still build programs to relay it from a computer)
Can't use peripherals directly (expiation may be that you have to craft the wireless into it)
inventor2514 #34
Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:34 AM
In terms of balance, perhaps a PDA would have a smaller wireless range than a standard wireless modem. That way you would have to be fairly close to network in order to access it.
Teraminer #35
Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:03 PM
LeftForCake I think has got the best idea for it so far.
craton #36
Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:53 AM
i like the ideas of haveing to have a computer with a disk drive to edit it and haveing limited battery and have ing to charge it but mabey it should be able to kind of link with a disk drive so it can still access floppys
Turtle #37
Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:24 PM
I like, as some of you posters are arguing on using it as a remote, I thought up this:

A charging stand, that can handle the title-entity stuff, while the 'remote' / PDA will open the gui to the 'charging stand'.

if you hate, love, dislike, like the idea, let me know, so I can improve my future ideas.

EDIT:
How about a DOCK (Like a tablet dock), that can acces pheripherals, and stream data to modems, monitors, disk drives.
Noodle #38
Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:43 AM
Use diamonds to make it.. Turtles are the closest thing to moving (portable) so why not use the next upgrade from Iron (NOT GOLD, ITS BADD)?
D D D
D C D
D D D

D = Diamond
C = Computer.
Teraminer #39
Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:49 AM
Guys some one then make an addon request (CC + IC2/BC2/RP2 EE2/3?)
EMC battery :)/>/> ^^^^^^^^^
Turtle #40
Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:27 PM
Guys some one then make an addon request (CC + IC2/BC2/RP2 EE2/3?)
EMC battery :)/>/> ^^^^^^^^^

Err, you mean klein star?
ChunLing #41
Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:48 PM
The inherent limitations of an item rather than a block (can't output redstone signals, thus cannot directly control any larger system) and the fact that trying to write anything but the simplest programs while you're walking around is just plain dumb, both suggest to me that it isn't really necessary to limit this item.

One use that would be really good (and address the needs of people wanting indestructable computers) would be to have the PDA allow wireless access to a computer in range, so that you could use your PDA as a secure key for a system that wasn't exposed to view anywhere.
PixelToast #42
Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:24 PM
best idea EVER
cyberzwerg #43
Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:40 AM
Hey Made a Picture for it :P/>/>
http://www.picz.to/image/bdz2
cyberzwerg #44
Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:41 AM
The inherent limitations of an item rather than a block (can't output redstone signals, thus cannot directly control any larger system) and the fact that trying to write anything but the simplest programs while you're walking around is just plain dumb, both suggest to me that it isn't really necessary to limit this item.

One use that would be really good (and address the needs of people wanting indestructable computers) would be to have the PDA allow wireless access to a computer in range, so that you could use your PDA as a secure key for a system that wasn't exposed to view anywhere.
or as logistic system control :P/>/>
ChunLing #45
Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:46 AM
There is actually already a remote control peripheral that allows a lot of the functions discussed here. What it doesn't allow (by specific design) is access to the console screen. Which you can by just carrying around a computer and placing it when you want to use it, then breaking it when you're done. I still want to be able to just use an item to open up the console and send wireless rednet messages…but at this point we're only talking about not having to place and break a block to do it, so I kinda feel like it's not worth bothering anyone about.
Xfel #46
Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:57 AM
I think the pda should also be hand-holdable like a map. You might not be able to type then, but you could see the reports.
cyberzwerg #47
Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:15 PM
hmm would be cool like a map but you can still type without an interface or something
Pharap #48
Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:21 AM
Forget laptops, I prefer this idea, so much more possibility and it would pretty much reflect the advances in tech in the last few years (with the whole smartphone craze being similar to the PDA bbeing able toe do messaging, as well as the putting into disk drive reflecting phones connecting via usb to computers) as well as being a nice throwback to the days when PDAs were a geek must-have.

To make it fair in survival though, make it require gold (since most computers have gold in them, and it would make sense from a technology advancement point of view: as you find better materials, you can make better things etc)
cyberzwerg #49
Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:00 AM
Got a new idea : You can put the pda in a drive (maybe not the floppy drive ) and then copy programs to it or manage it :P/>/>
For drive:
SSS
SRS
SGS
S=stone
r=redstone
g=gold
For pda:
I I I
I DI
IGI
I =iron
D= diamond
g= gold
Teraminer #50
Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:16 PM
That is what I said too :P/>/> +1.
cyberzwerg #51
Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:58 PM
two guys.. same idea ^^ yeah maybe like a batter which has to get charged …
Teraminer #52
Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:59 PM
Btw I realy REALY hope dan already knows about this ideas.
Sebra #53
Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:18 AM
I think the pda should also be hand-holdable like a map. You might not be able to type then, but you could see the reports.
Is any way to intercept keyboard input when holding map-like item?
dimitriye98 #54
Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Of course, a mod modifies the actual code of the game, there's no reason why not.
Xfel #55
Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:31 PM
In general, yes. However, Computercraft and many other mods use mcforge, which allows them to be added without base class manipulation, which means there is a better compability between mods. And I don't think mcforge has a hook for catching key bindings in a foreign gui.
PixelToast #56
Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:58 PM
In general, yes. However, Computercraft and many other mods use mcforge, which allows them to be added without base class manipulation, which means there is a better compability between mods. And I don't think mcforge has a hook for catching key bindings in a foreign gui.
you dont need a hook, just get direct keyboard input
Liude #57
Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:11 PM
I way to make this not so op is to make it be only able to store and run one program with maybe a size restriction. You would still need a computer to write the program it runs, and it wouldnt be able to edit programs or interface with the world, as well as having a potentially smaller screen compared to the computer.

Limiting execution speed is a bad idea.
acoollegodude #58
Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:28 PM
There should be an all-purpose docking station for charging the battery, downloading programs and interfacing with monitors.
Expenox #59
Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:56 PM
That'd be awesome!
basdxz #60
Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:45 AM
I support this! I want this in CC. Maybe use redstone as fuel for it?
prasselpikachu #61
Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:48 AM
Well, I think this is a REALLY good idea. I'd implement the following things:
-Rednet capability
-A dock to manage it
-less Disk space than a computer
-multiple programs (maybe even apps? :D/>)
-a battery which drains
-recharging from dock
-held maplike
-recipes:

Dock:
I I
I G I
I R I
I = Iron (body)
G= Gold (contacts)
R = Redstone (interface to computer)

PDA:

G M G
G P G
G R G

G = gold (case)
M = modem
P = glass pane (screen)
R = redstone (conductive material for dock contacts)

Well, thats my opinion at PDAs.
ChunLing #62
Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:18 PM
I think that it should be somewhat more convenient than simply carrying about a named wireless turtle, placing it to use and then breaking it to pick up and carry. Because you can do that, which gives you fully portable rednet/computing capability without any limits other than having to place/break the turtle between sessions if you want to move it to another location.

Limiting the usage time, program space, portability (by requiring a dock) or increasing the cost too much above that of a wireless turtle would all tend to obviate the utility of this device.

To make this actually more functional than carrying a labeled wireless turtle, I suggest that whenever it is selected your keyboard input goes to the device, if it wasn't shutdown the last time you used it. This would justify a modest cost increase above that of a wireless turtle since you could do things with it that you simply couldn't do with a carried turtle. If you didn't want to send input to it, just switch to your weapon or tool while moving about (or shut it off to end a session).
Cloudy #63
Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:22 AM
We already have plans - and it is unlikely we will even look at this thread when implementing it. The fun part is actually implementing it, and thinking of ways how it would work. If we just took all your suggestions into account, it would make us less fun for us :P/>
Sebra #64
Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:48 AM
@ChunLing, Advantage of PDA over Turtle should be:
1. Ability to look around while work;
2. Ability to work at background device;
3. …
It would not be fun as a simple GUI caller.

@Cloudy, of course it is your fun as developers.
I just afraid of bad decisions to be made:
1."a battery which drains" - bad. Tiny amount of RedStone energy used for calculations and Rednet. No physical work performed by PDA - no power consumption.
2.Special dock - No dock at all or use Disk Drive instead. Rednet is enough for file exchange.
3.Restricted processor in speed or memory - brakes are bad. Small screen, small disk, but not processor, please.
KaoS #65
Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:59 AM
I think the main advantage is having it run on your co-ordinates while you move so it can then track your position and execute things automatically as you approach them. this was initially possible with ccSensors but I don't have that at the moment. the realtime execution at player CDS is great
Sebra #66
Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:58 AM
I mention it as background work.
Cloudy #67
Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:32 AM
@Cloudy, of course it is your fun as developers.
I just afraid of bad decisions to be made:
1."a battery which drains" - bad. Tiny amount of RedStone energy used for calculations and Rednet. No physical work performed by PDA - no power consumption.
We probably wouldn't do that without making Computers or Turtle's require power to run the Lua - and we don't do that.
2.Special dock - No dock at all or use Disk Drive instead. Rednet is enough for file exchange.
I don't see the issue with that.
3.Restricted processor in speed or memory - brakes are bad. Small screen, small disk, but not processor, please.
We wouldn't do that.
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #68
Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:38 AM
Do not… make PDAs limited to one file…
1) Pointless: I'll just put everything into one massive file. Then you'll need to limit disk space. So then I'll make a wireless system which pushes commands to…..
2) PDA = Personal Digital Assistant. Note the "Assistant". What sort of assistant does one task?
PDA: The time is 3:13PM.
PDA: The time is 3:14PM.
THIS IS NOT AN ASSISTANT!!!!! :(/>
ChunLing #69
Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:28 PM
I now wish to hire someone to follow me around and tell time…and nothing else. Until I have a hissy fit and fire them to salve my irritation at something completely unrelated.

But…I think you are right.
Leo Verto #70
Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:18 PM
PDAs are going to be quite useful
Imagine sitting in that bad dudes prison and no way to escape but you've got your PDA! You can just activate, say something cool and watch your turtle army breaking the prison walls and rescuing you.
Certainly very useful.
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #71
Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:29 PM
PDAs are going to be quite useful
Imagine sitting in that bad dudes prison and no way to escape but you've got your PDA! You can just activate, say something cool and watch your turtle army breaking the prison walls and rescuing you.
Certainly very useful.
Unless you're limited to only one program. Sorry, but the only thing that piece of junk is going to do is tell you the time or something…
ChunLing #72
Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:17 PM
Feh, I only ever used one program with my CCPortable PDA and it was so awesome I didn't even want to upgrade from 1.2.5 for…a long time. Whenever I'm lugging around turtle ID0 to use as a portable, I think, "Dang I miss my PDA with it's one, super awesome, program."

Admittedly, that program did a lot more than tell time. Come to think of it, it didn't tell time at all.
Cloudy #73
Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:41 PM
Why the hell would we limit it to one file? I don't see where that has come from.
ChunLing #74
Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:06 AM
It's derived from one of prasselpicachu's suggestions last month, limited disk space. Which some have decided to interpret as limited number of files, which somehow transmuted into only having one program.

There's a reason you aren't relying on us for actual design decisions on this ;)/>
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #75
Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:25 AM
Why the hell would we limit it to one file? I don't see where that has come from.
It's derived from one of prasselpicachu's suggestions last month, limited disk space.
Actually…

Maybe they can hold only one file that is only available as autostart.
they only can have 1 program
Last month?
ChunLing #76
Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:22 AM
So I was being charitable in assessing the potential current relevance of the "one program" idea.
Leo Verto #77
Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:12 AM
Limiting it to one file would just make it more difficult but I don't get your point about a one-file program just displaying the time.
You'd just have to integrate all APIs and programs into one program.
Bubba #78
Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:11 AM
Limiting it to one file would just make it more difficult but I don't get your point about a one-file program just displaying the time.

Exactly. Allowing for only one file doesn't make it more balanced, it just makes things unrealistic. Even with the one file limitation, it would still be possible to simulate a multi-file environment - it would just be more difficult. Have you ever heard of a computer that is only able to save one file if it is not limited by memory? I haven't.
Cranium #79
Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:31 AM
The only way to implement single programs on devices would be to make a 'cartridge' system. Totally not what I want, as limiting things is not fun in my opinion.
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #80
Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Exactly. Allowing for only one file doesn't make it more balanced, it just makes things unrealistic. Even with the one file limitation, it would still be possible to simulate a multi-file environment - it would just be more difficult. Have you ever heard of a computer that is only able to save one file if it is not limited by memory? I haven't.
That was my point when I was saying
I'll just put everything into one massive file.
Then, the people who proposed the one-file idea (to preserve their original intent of restricting the PDAs functions) might suggest "oh, then we'll limit disk space to 1KB" or something. Making the PDA even more pointless.
Pharap #81
Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:32 PM
I can see the pda having a limit being logical, just not a one file limit.
After all, the computers and floppy disks have limits (people often forget this, I know I do).
Perhaps just give it the same limit as the floppy disks.
If it were to be really realistic, it would be the floppy disk space minus the size of the OS, but that would be unfair on people who use large OSes, so it's best just to run it off the floppy disk space limit, or at the least set the limit in the config to the same as a floppy.

Just my 2 pence.
Leo Verto #82
Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

That was my point when I was saying
I'll just put everything into one massive file.
Then, the people who proposed the one-file idea (to preserve their original intent of restricting the PDAs functions) might suggest "oh, then we'll limit disk space to 1KB" or something. Making the PDA even more pointless.
I feel like you are taking this way too serious, I just suggested something and you're fighting against it without any valid reasons, in my opinion the disk space limit of a floppy disk would be good (this is just to prevent people from spamming a server's HDD).
My point of limiting it to one file was the challenge of keeping all your stuff in one file and it was just a suggestion.
Cloudy #83
Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:11 AM
I imagine it would be smaller than a computer but bigger than a floppy disk.
3751_Creator #84
Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

When do you think it will be implemented in the next CC version?
BigSHinyToys #85
Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

When do you think it will be implemented in the next CC version?
Some random people give you a awesome computer in minecraft then monitors turtles wifi and just a few days ago touch screens and you ask when they will add a new feature ???? Maybe a little gratitude They will do it when they like if they want to.
Dlcruz129 #86
Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:48 AM
My thoughts on this topic:
  • Smaller Screen Size - Definitely
  • Directly Accessing Peripherals - No
  • Slower Processing Speed - No No No No Nooooo
  • Recipe - Perhaps diamonds in the recipe?
  • "Hotkeys" - Naw, it would just make stuff too complicated, especially for dan/Cloudy. Just open your PDA and hit a button on your GUI.
  • Advanced PDAs - Definitely.
  • Only one file - No no no no no! Also you could just emulate a multi-file system with functions for all of your programs.
  • Mounting to Computer - Just use the disk drive, we don't need a special dock or anything
Cranium #87
Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:13 AM
Mounting to Computer - Just use the disk drive, we don't need a special dock or anything
I can just imagine someone trying to jam their PDA or smartphone into an old floppy drive. That would be hilarious.
Left4Cake #88
Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:40 AM
Mounting to Computer - Just use the disk drive, we don't need a special dock or anything
I can just imagine someone trying to jam their PDA or smartphone into an old floppy drive. That would be hilarious.

It would probably look like this if it worked that way.
Bubba #89
Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Actually that looks pretty awesome XD
Cranium #90
Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

I meant LITERALLY shoving your phone or PDA into the slot of a floppy drive, thus destroying both devices.
Left4Cake #91
Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:30 AM
I meant LITERALLY shoving your phone or PDA into the slot of a floppy drive, thus destroying both devices.

I know what you meant, Just because I told a joke dose not mean I did not get your meaning.
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #92
Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:49 PM
My thoughts on this topic:
  • Smaller Screen Size - Definitely
  • Directly Accessing Peripherals - No
  • Slower Processing Speed - No No No No Nooooo
  • Recipe - Perhaps diamonds in the recipe?
  • "Hotkeys" - Naw, it would just make stuff too complicated, especially for dan/Cloudy. Just open your PDA and hit a button on your GUI.
  • Advanced PDAs - Definitely.
  • Only one file - No no no no no! Also you could just emulate a multi-file system with functions for all of your programs.
  • Mounting to Computer - Just use the disk drive, we don't need a special dock or anything
+1 Exactly what I was thinking. Although a special dock to turn the PDA into a computer would be nice…
ChunLing #93
Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:02 PM
Why?

The entire point of this would be that it was portable. It will almost certain cost a good bit more than a normal computer, and may have some restrictions. So what bloody point could there be in having a dock that let's it not be portable, that being the only reason to have the thing in the first place?

Couldn't you just carry a computer, and place that, and do any computing that you would have done from the dock?
Left4Cake #94
Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:18 PM
Why?

The entire point of this would be that it was portable. It will almost certain cost a good bit more than a normal computer, and may have some restrictions. So what bloody point could there be in having a dock that let's it not be portable, that being the only reason to have the thing in the first place?

Couldn't you just carry a computer, and place that, and do any computing that you would have done from the dock?

You don't need it docked all the time or to do everything. I have to plug my mp3 player into a computer to move music onto it, dose that make it not portable.
ChunLing #95
Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:41 PM
Wouldn't you rather have an mp3 player that was able to download files by wireless, the way that the planned portables in CC will?
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #96
Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:08 PM
Wouldn't you rather have an mp3 player that was able to download files by wireless, the way that the planned portables in CC will?
Okay, well think of it like my Android phone/tablet. Away from home, I use it portably. At home, I might connect it to my monitor, add a bluetooth keyboard, and save the cost of buying another computer. Wireless would be great, but a dock wouldn't hurt.
ChunLing #97
Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:42 PM
If portables are inexpensive enough that the PDA + dock isn't two or three times as expensive as a regular computer, that makes some sense. However, I suspect that the portable will at the very least require a computer and a wireless modem, making it more than twice as expensive as a computer by itself. Meaning if the dock costs anything at all, there is no point.

And really, we're talking about maybe gaining a few extra lines of display in monitor size, since we already use our regular keyboards with the PDA.

Look, I won't feel terribly upset if the team decides that it is no trouble at all for them to put in a dock. But I will never use it, and I would question the sanity of anyone who did.
BigSHinyToys #98
Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:57 PM
I would question the sanity of anyone who did.
and you would load a startup to it how ?? or fix a problem with the startup. There are many perfectly sane reason to interface the "device" with a computer and access it like a mass storage device or connect it to a monitor/disk.

Any way this is all speculation and it will be up to the devs to work it out in the end so we don't have to worry about it just sit back and chill peoples.
Cloudy #99
Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:04 AM
I don't get the big problem with a dock. It could have many uses. Being able to interact with peripherals for one
ChunLing #100
Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:56 AM
For that I would use a computer. Unless the PDA + dock was cheaper.

Also, since you would normally carry your PDA with you (kinda the whole point), I don't see the need for a startup program. Just run programs from the shell (and edit them using edit).
Edited on 29 December 2012 - 11:59 PM
Cloudy #101
Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:49 AM
I'm not saying use PDA's instead of computers but imagine docking your PDA to display something on a monitor or transfer something to a wired network, or put something onto a disk, or unlock a door… The possibilities are endless.
Leo Verto #102
Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:53 AM
Also, since you would normally carry your PDA with you (kinda the whole point), I don't see the need for a startup program. Just run programs from the shell (and edit them using edit).
But what if we wanted fancy and useful OSes (*cough*) on PDAs?
Left4Cake #103
Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:02 AM
Going on about the dock thing, the idea is that their will still be resones to use computer, both have disadvantages, computer are cheaper but more powerful, but require that you stop what you are doing completely to access it, while the PDA will be more expensive and my have some limitations, but you could just wip out real quick to send a command to your turtal to come over here where you can reach it. Heck some thing like GPS might be kinda nifty, you could right a program to open a door when only certain PDAs come near.
Dlcruz129 #104
Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:42 AM
Why?

By dock I meant a way to connect the PDA to the computer. It was mentioned earlier that it might be too OP to allow the PDA to directly edit files.
MudkipTheEpic #105
Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:22 AM
If they are going to implement fuel usage, I would at least put it in the config.

Edit: Saw Cloudy's post. Sorry!
ChunLing #106
Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:38 PM
Pretty much anything except using the PDA as a block (to control redstone and interface with peripherals directly rather than remotely through a wireless computer) can be handled over rednet. File transfer and editing…I have that built into my basic turtle remote control program just because I thought I might have a use for it and it's too dead easy not to include. There is zero chance that I'd bother plugging the PDA into a block rather than just using it directly.

As for startup…the point of a startup program, where I'm concerned, is when a computer has to resume running after a shutdown and you aren't there to tell it what to do. A simple program I want to start every time I turn on my PDA? That's a couple of keystrokes at startup, and I get to choose which of several programs I want to start.

If a dock block is planned, I can't object. There just isn't a single suggested use for it I would ever use, unless the PDA + dock were cheaper than a computer. Maybe if the dock made the PDA do something special…but I don't really know what.
BigSHinyToys #107
Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:14 AM
Crazy idea maybe the "device" should have a floppy slot in it acting as a memory card for it. It would allow programing to be done on a Computer then transfered to the floppy then to the "device" . The "Device" could then have or not have internal memory other than the floppy. And who doesn't want a portable "device" with a floppy slot ;)/>
Spoiler
Sebra #108
Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:27 AM
Nice idea. Only ROM in memory without Disk inside.
Just some methods to insert/eject disk needed. It can be "crafted" together to insert, But we need "physical" method to extract Disk.

But I prefer PDA to be hand-held as Maps, TC3 Thaumometer , TC3 Research/Theory …
How about PDA being hangable on wall as Hangable Maps? And can be attached to single Peripheral this way.
Dlcruz129 #109
Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:11 AM
What about shift-right clicking to open up the GUI for the floppy, like wireless remotes?
gngz #110
Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:09 AM
In my point of view can be like a normal computer , but with battery… or thing like that.
Cloudy #111
Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:33 AM
It isn't going to have removable storage. That would be stupid.
Left4Cake #112
Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:23 PM
Actually we have advance computer now can't the PDA just be a different upgrade branch. If the PDA dose not include color and mouse support then their is still a want for at least adv computers, and then normal computer can just be the least expensive of the three, (or advance PDAs need obsidian and diamond to be crafted. :-P )
Sebra #113
Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:42 PM
It isn't going to have removable storage. That would be stupid.
Why it stupid? Most cellphone/pda use memory card these days. In CC memory card is floppy disk.
It can be one of ways to exchange files with modem is another way.
It would be the way to "unbrick" PDA if you do something wrong with startup.
PDA should be able to work without external memory. But should be identifiable by label.
KaoS #114
Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:10 PM
I am sure we will be able to "unbrick" the PDA by inserting it into a disk drive and editing its files with a computer
BigSHinyToys #115
Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:06 PM
I was kinda being sarcastic with my suggestion of a floppy slot in the "device". also i use the term "device" as this hasn't been confirmed as to what it will be called yet and there are so mane possible names. Tablet, PDA , Laptop , Netbook , Notebook , Cellphone/mobile , Portable computer , Game console (like PSP) ect…..
Sebra #116
Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:54 PM
Even sarcastic jokes can be sometime cool ideas ;)/>
Anyway I hope we will see how developers see it.
ChunLing #117
Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:11 PM
If the PDA can be fit into the disk drive, maybe it should be called an "External Data Reader" instead. Perhaps it could also eventually function as that scanner that people are always asking for, or a reader for other things (hey, why not make it so you could stick a labeled turtle/computer in there, for a quick reformatting session).

Frankly, that's more appealing than adding a special dock block.
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #118
Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:12 PM
Yes, but what I was referring to was a dock block that turns a PDA into a computer-compatible block: it can interface with monitors and everything. Not just for transferring files.
ChunLing #119
Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:31 PM
Yeah, but I'm still not seeing the point of that.
Leo Verto #120
Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:02 AM
Yes, but what I was referring to was a dock block that turns a PDA into a computer-compatible block: it can interface with monitors and everything. Not just for transferring files.
You can easily use a diskdrive and a computer to interface other peripherals (if we get to put PDAs in disk drives), I don't understand why you would need to add a new block for that.
BigSHinyToys #121
Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:51 AM
You can easily use a diskdrive and a computer to interface other peripherals (if we get to put PDAs in disk drives), I don't understand why you would need to add a new block for that.
I don't really want to reply but here I am at it again …

If they are placed in a disk drive they would be effective treated as a disk and read / write of its programs would be possible. the computer its self could not be being active used by the owner while in the drive. the computer its is connected to could not receive events from the disk as it is well just a data storage device no communication between the device and the disk would be possible. this would mean that running the screen to a monitor or having the "device" access data from the host computer would be problematic at best impossible at worst.

On the other hand if it is places in a dock that dock is now effectively a computer capable of warping devices like monitors and capable of accessing disk drives data. Also a user could click it to open its interface and use it as a standard computer to some extent. moving a program from a computer to this device could be done by a shared disk drive and disk. a startup file in a disk drive could be used to unbrick the device.

Yes disk drives could be modified to have a way to let the device communicate via event's with the host computer maybe and possible access to its internal files but that doesn't really sound like what a mechanical drive designed to read magnetic variances in a disk is capable of.

If the device only has a inbuilt WIFI and we will only be able to edit files on it and it will not be used for peripheral's then just pure access to its data in the drive might make scene but My vote would be for a specialized block (a bocking station) that gives full computer capability to the device.
immibis #122
Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:40 PM
If they are placed in a disk drive they would be effective treated as a disk and read / write of its programs would be possible. the computer its self could not be being active used by the owner while in the drive.
Ok.

the computer its is connected to could not receive events from the disk as it is well just a data storage device no communication between the device and the disk would be possible. this would mean that running the screen to a monitor or having the "device" access data from the host computer would be problematic at best impossible at worst.
If it's in a disk drive, shouldn't it act like a disk? It wouldn't even be running code.

On the other hand if it is places in a dock that dock is now effectively a computer capable of warping devices like monitors and capable of accessing disk drives data. Also a user could click it to open its interface and use it as a standard computer to some extent. moving a program from a computer to this device could be done by a shared disk drive and disk. a startup file in a disk drive could be used to unbrick the device.
Why would you use a dock+PDA instead of a computer?
You can already unbrick it by deleting its startup file when it's in a disk drive.

Yes disk drives could be modified to have a way to let the device communicate via event's with the host computer maybe and possible access to its internal files but that doesn't really sound like what a mechanical drive designed to read magnetic variances in a disk is capable of.
Agreed, they're disk drives, it makes no sense to let them transfer other data besides mounted files.

If the device only has a inbuilt WIFI and we will only be able to edit files on it and it will not be used for peripheral's then just pure access to its data in the drive might make scene but My vote would be for a specialized block (a bocking station) that gives full computer capability to the device.
Again, why use a dock+PDA instead of a computer?
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #123
Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:00 PM
Huh? What? Since when did we decide on that? In this scenario, the PDA would be in the disk drive - you would be using it as a storage device, not allowing it to interface with peripherals.
Leo Verto #124
Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:53 PM
Huh? What? Since when did we decide on that? In this scenario, the PDA would be in the disk drive - you would be using it as a storage device, not allowing it to interface with peripherals.
That's not true, you can use a normal floppy to interact with peripherals too, it just operates from the floppy instead of the computer. I think that would be possible using a PDA as well.
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #125
Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:41 PM
That's not true, you can use a normal floppy to interact with peripherals too, it just operates from the floppy instead of the computer. I think that would be possible using a PDA as well.
I will repeat: Huh? What? Since when did floppy disks have the ability to independently execute code? You dont just plonk a floppy disk into some random disk drive and it magically runs a program, it needs to be connected to a computer, and even then, it is the computer running code off of the floppy, and the computer which is interacting with the peripherals, not the floppy disk…
BigSHinyToys #126
Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:14 AM
it would be nice to use it as a full computer whn in your main base connect it
to a few monitors a disk drive and some RP cable and be able to use it a full
computer then take it with you still having all your files and data on it with
you. basicly the same reasone real docks exist example the samsung galaxy
desktop dock
ChunLing #127
Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:04 AM
The real life reason that docks make sense is primarily because computers are expensive.

I just don't feel like that reason applies in computercraft.
Sebra #128
Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:48 AM
If Minecraft PDA would have Diamond case, would you use it in dock station instead of standard Computer?
It's more like you can use normal Computer as a portable, just placing it each time you need it.
Leo Verto #129
Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:05 AM
If Minecraft PDA would have Diamond case, would you use it in dock station instead of standard Computer?
It's more like you can use normal Computer as a portable, just placing it each time you need it.
Yes, PDAs would be useful for checking your systems while going around or taking notes but I honestly don'T get why you would want a PDA to interact with peripherals, they can't do that in real life either.
BigSHinyToys #130
Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:13 AM
Yes, PDAs would be useful for checking your systems while going around or taking notes but I honestly don'T get why you would want a PDA to interact with peripherals, they can't do that in real life either.
Depends on weather you consider USB ports to be "peripherals"
Spoiler
source : http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/31/samsung-galaxy-note-ii-smart-dock-turns-a-big-phone-into-a-desktop/
Leo Verto #131
Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:20 AM
Yes, PDAs would be useful for checking your systems while going around or taking notes but I honestly don't get why you would want a PDA to interact with peripherals, they can't do that in real life either.
Depends on weather you consider USB ports to be "peripherals"
Well, USB ports are mainly used for connecting the device to other devices but CC doesn't have any cables (except for RP bundled ones) and using rednet and a computer to make a PDA access a monitor isn't very hard.
immibis #132
Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:58 PM
it would be nice to use it as a full computer whn in your main base connect it
to a few monitors a disk drive and some RP cable and be able to use it a full
computer then take it with you still having all your files and data on it with
you. basicly the same reasone real docks exist example the samsung galaxy
desktop dock
So you'd want it to be able to use peripherals while using your files?
Just make a program to sync the files onto a computer.
ChunLing #133
Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:52 PM
This also has the benefit of making it so that you activate stuff remotely rather than having to walk up to it and stick your PDA in a slot, staying there (the PDA, at least) for as long as you want the arrangement to do it's job.

Walk about, see that the shields need to go up, just whip out the PDA and tell the shield control computer to activate, see that the tree farm is ready for harvesting, send a command to the tree farm, etc. Instead of walking hither and thither, plugging your PDA into each thing until it has completed the task so that you can take your PDA somewhere else.

Now, if the dock gave you free diamonds when you ran a program on the PDA while docked, then I would use it. For the free diamonds. And pretty much nothing else. I'd have a PDA in the dock pumping out free diamonds and another PDA I actually used as a PDA. Unless I can only have one PDA, which would suck, but I guess I'd then not use the dock…even for diamonds.
Dlcruz129 #134
Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:54 PM
Please, PLEASE, do not include a dock. That totally ruins the point of this suggestion. Make it portable. A dock would turn it into a computer with a smaller screen.
immibis #135
Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:10 PM
Please, PLEASE, do not include a dock. That totally ruins the point of this suggestion. Make it portable. A dock would turn it into a computer with a smaller screen.
The dock would be optional. We're debating the pointfulness of it.
Dlcruz129 #136
Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:37 PM
The dock would be optional. We're debating the pointfulness of it.

Ah. Well, I would personally never use it, but I guess I could just not use it.
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #137
Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:01 PM
I have a homemade "dock" for my phone, therefore it is not portable.
Say whaa????
Dlcruz129 #138
Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:54 PM
I have a homemade "dock" for my phone, therefore it is not portable.
Say whaa????

I meant don't make the dock mandatory.
Cloudy #139
Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:29 AM
Why would we make the dock mandatory… You're all getting into a flap about something that we haven't even implemented yet. Why? I'm tempted to just close this thread - nothing more is really being said apart from random arguing with little point.
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #140
Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:03 PM
How big would the PDA screen be? (Speculation follows)

Upon close inspection, each tile of a computer screen is 12x18px. It's total dimensions are 612x342px. If a computer screen is roughly the same size as a sheet of A5 paper (length-wise), it's dimensions would be 210x117mm, with a diagonal screen size of 240mm (9.4in). If a PDA has a 16:9 aspect ratio and a diagonal screen size of 4in (101.6mm), it's dimensions would be 50x89mm, which amounts to 145x260px, which amounts to 12x14 tiles.

UI desigining time!
Dlcruz129 #141
Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:55 PM
How big would the PDA screen be? (Speculation follows)

Upon close inspection, each tile of a computer screen is 12x18px. It's total dimensions are 612x342px. If a computer screen is roughly the same size as a sheet of A5 paper (length-wise), it's dimensions would be 210x117mm, with a diagonal screen size of 240mm (9.4in). If a PDA has a 16:9 aspect ratio and a diagonal screen size of 4in (101.6mm), it's dimensions would be 50x89mm, which amounts to 145x260px, which amounts to 12x14 tiles.

UI desigining time!

That size sounds fine to me.
Zoinky #142
Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:58 PM
I imagine it looking kinda like a round computer screen: (Sorry, it looks weird, not good with photoshop).
It would be awesome if it was held like a map (I know this has been suggested, Just restating). Great idea. :D/>
Sebra #143
Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:15 PM
Please do not close it, Cloudy. People always want to express yourself.

I prefer it held like a map so no GUI.
ChunLing #144
Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:32 AM
What? You just mean no mouse support, and you'd be free to look around, right? 'Cause I think that keyboard input is kinda necessary.
Dlcruz129 #145
Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:10 AM
Please do not close it, Cloudy. People always want to express yourself.

I prefer it held like a map so no GUI.
I imagine it looking kinda like a round computer screen: (Sorry, it looks weird, not good with photoshop).
It would be awesome if it was held like a map (I know this has been suggested, Just restating). Great idea. :D/>

I don't think it should be held like a map, as I think there should also be advanced PDA's with color and mouse support. Plus that would just look weird.
Zoinky #146
Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:12 PM
I don't think it should be held like a map, as I think there should also be advanced PDA's with color and mouse support. Plus that would just look weird.

I agree, it does look weird and I don't mind if it's not held like a map. But, I'm not sure about the idea of advanced PDA's. I was imagining something pretty basic.
Dlcruz129 #147
Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

I agree, it does look weird and I don't mind if it's not held like a map. But, I'm not sure about the idea of advanced PDA's. I was imagining something pretty basic.

:(/> but I wanna make an iPhone…
ChunLing #148
Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:16 PM
Confession time, I've basically given up and gone back to 1.2.5 and my CC-Portable…I don't know why but lugging around a turtle to use as a placeable portable just…it's an inexplicable hassle.
Loki #149
Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:46 PM
I made a texture for the PDA. (yes, its 16x16 and will work as an item in MC)

http://imgur.com/k8ZdJ
PixelToast #150
Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

looks nice o.O
i might retexture it

though whats that triangle blob on the top?

EDIT:

Loki #151
Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

looks nice o.O
i might retexture it

though whats that triangle blob on the top?

EDIT:

The triangle blob? Thats…thats…. I have no idea :D/>. Yours wont work with minecraft, you do realize that?
Zoinky #152
Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:31 AM
The triangle blob? Thats…thats…. I have no idea :D/>. Yours wont work with minecraft, you do realize that?

Actually, he supplied a 16 * 16. Unless you mean the file type?
Cloudy #153
Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:06 AM
Uh… I accidentally Sebra's post. But my response is, how do you expect to type on a PDA if you can move while looking at it?
ChunLing #154
Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:00 AM
You pop yourself into a hole. Which may or may not be just as much trouble as placing a labeled turtle…which was enough trouble to make me revert my minecraft (which wasn't that much trouble, it's upgrading that always throws me, really).

Okay, yeah, I also wondered about that.
PixelToast #155
Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:58 AM
Uh… I accidentally Sebra's post. But my response is, how do you expect to type on a PDA if you can move while looking at it?
make it like a map?
GopherAtl #156
Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:19 AM
pixel, you're missing the point. Maps don't take input, you just passively look at them. A pda needs to take input. Mouse input requires being able to freely look at the screen, which map view doesn't allow, and key input needs to go to player movement/action OR the device, not both at the same time.

Might be a lot to ask for, but perhaps…both? while held, you can look down at the screen like a map, then right-click and it goes to a gui form to allow input?
nutcase84 #157
Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:26 AM
pixel, you're missing the point. Maps don't take input, you just passively look at them. A pda needs to take input. Mouse input requires being able to freely look at the screen, which map view doesn't allow, and key input needs to go to player movement/action OR the device, not both at the same time.

Might be a lot to ask for, but perhaps…both? while held, you can look down at the screen like a map, then right-click and it goes to a gui form to allow input?
That's a good idea. I would love to see this.
gngz #158
Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:27 AM
Make two modes of view. one to see screen only and when we click with rigth mouse button opens the pda that we can input on pda.
Or something like that
Orwell #159
Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:29 AM
I've been working on this a month ago. I kinda got mixed up in other stuff while having problems with it and totally forgot about it further on. I did have some reobfuscation problems, but what I had so far was this: an item that could be held, when right clicked it opens a custom gui with 2 slots for peripherals on the sides. Peripherals worked except for the modem for some reason. When held in your hands, the screen was rendered on it like on a map (I still had issues with z-fighting, but I was hoping to fix that as well). So that's how I see it to be of use as a portable device, you can look but not type while out of the gui.

I hope to continue on this after my exams, I mainly gave up because of the inexplicable reobfuscation error. :P/>

Edit:

That's what mine did, so it's certainly possible. :)/>
Zerim #160
Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:23 AM
I've been working on this a month ago. I kinda got mixed up in other stuff while having problems with it and totally forgot about it further on. I did have some reobfuscation problems, but what I had so far was this: an item that could be held, when right clicked it opens a custom gui with 2 slots for peripherals on the sides. Peripherals worked except for the modem for some reason. When held in your hands, the screen was rendered on it like on a map (I still had issues with z-fighting, but I was hoping to fix that as well). So that's how I see it to be of use as a portable device, you can look but not type while out of the gui.

I hope to continue on this after my exams, I mainly gave up because of the inexplicable reobfuscation error. :P/>

Edit:

That's what mine did, so it's certainly possible. :)/>

I was just thinking about how amazing it would be if I could operate my laser turtle by a joystick controller (using a map &amp; screen, like an iPad controlling a Sphero). A few minutes ago, I tried to open up the paint program to see if I could make my own, but there's no way I'd get the program to work any time soon.

If you do this, I love you. It could make turtles immensely more user friendly.
Loki #161
Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Actually, he supplied a 16 * 16. Unless you mean the file type?
You see the little rounded off corners and stuff? Wont work.
Zoinky #162
Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

The 16 * 16 doesn't have rounded off corners. The big one is just to show it off. Look at the bottom-right corner. :l

EDIT:

Here (by PixelToast):
that would work.
PixelToast #163
Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:15 PM
those "corners" were to make it look 3D
it kinda failed :s
Loki #164
Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

The 16 * 16 doesn't have rounded off corners. The big one is just to show it off. Look at the bottom-right corner. :l

EDIT:

Here (by PixelToast):
that would work.
Sorry. I dont really have good eyes :P/>.

His texture is a good improvement from mine.
iownall555 #165
Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:57 PM
PixelToast, I like your sprite for it. Perhaps players could craft a floppy disk drive into the PDAs?
Sebra #166
Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:57 PM
Hm. For example: Dream version ;)/>
"Item form": Held in right hand. Model made so screen is visible. No player input to pda.
"Map form": Held in both hands like a map. Keyboard input to pda, mouse to look around.
"Wall form": Placed/hanged on table/wall. Can connect to "back" peripheral.

In "item form" right-click in air change to "map form", left-click open GUI. Right-click on a wall to "wall form"
In "map form" right-click change to "item form", left-click open GUI.
In "wall form" right-click give event as a monitor, left-click drops "item form".

It seems both "walking while look on screen" and "keyboard input while look around" modes are essential and impossible in one form.
Wall mounted is quite good to have too.
RunasSudo-AWOLindefinitely #167
Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:10 AM
I agree with having both modes. That way I can make a good GPS :)/>
MudkipTheEpic #168
Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:23 AM
Maybe hold like a map and shift+rightclick to open the GUI? Just my two cents.

Edit: I think that showing the whole screen on a map-sized held item would be kinda impossible to read, so maybe add a function like:
term.setHeldDisplay("Pie") and if you looked down at the pda without the GUI open, you would see "Pie" written on the PDA.
Left4Cake #169
Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:33 PM
Maybe hold like a map and shift+rightclick to open the GUI? Just my two cents.

Edit: I think that showing the whole screen on a map-sized held item would be kinda impossible to read, so maybe add a function like:
term.setHeldDisplay("Pie") and if you looked down at the pda without the GUI open, you would see "Pie" written on the PDA.

or you could just lookdown+rightclick, to interact and escape to close out.
Sebra #170
Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:40 PM
I think that showing the whole screen on a map-sized held item would be kinda impossible to read, …
This depends of screen size and I think pda screen size should be quite small. 16*12 may be. May be scalable as a monitor. Heavily depends of realization.
Zoinky #171
Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:22 AM
Wouldn't it be possible to have it held like a map and when you look down at it your key input will go into it? (Eg. Player looks up, moves around freely. Player looks down, types into PDA). Each map is 128 x 128 pixels. Not sure if that's enough for a computer screen.
KaoS #172
Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:47 AM
Wouldn't it be possible to have it held like a map and when you look down at it your key input will go into it? (Eg. Player looks up, moves around freely. Player looks down, types into PDA). Each map is 128 x 128 pixels. Not sure if that's enough for a computer screen.

I think that will result in a lot of accidental 'w's in your PDA :D/>
iownall555 #173
Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Given that a map looks fairly big when held, I have a feeling you could have a PDA screen that size. It'd probably look more like a tablet though. But still, you could look down, right click and get into the GUI like others have suggested.

EDIT: I've made a rough design/idea/sketch of what it could look like. Yes I know it's horrible, but I'm not good with design. :P/>
Spoiler
immibis #174
Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Given that a map looks fairly big when held, I have a feeling you could have a PDA screen that size. It'd probably look more like a tablet though. But still, you could look down, right click and get into the GUI like others have suggested.

EDIT: I've made a rough design/idea/sketch of what it could look like. Yes I know it's horrible, but I'm not good with design. :P/>/>/>
Spoiler
This is how I always thought they'd look.

What is that in the top right?
iownall555 #175
Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:32 PM
Possibly. Perhaps maybe bit of a 3D effect?

What is that in the top right?

That's Espen's ccMySQL peripheral.
1vannn #176
Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:17 PM
Right Click >> 1/2 of normal Computer console size, problem solved. :)/>
nutcase84 #177
Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:16 AM
Is this going to be added? This would be awesome(even more if there were adv. PDAs as well).
JJRcop #178
Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:03 AM
Is this going to be added?
Yes, Clowdy and Dan have stated this many times.
Skullblade #179
Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:41 AM
Mabey if we ask about PDAs more we can get them faster….

:P/>
KaoS #180
Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:53 AM
they are on the do not request post…
Tiin57 #181
Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:01 PM
they are on the do not request post…
Yes, well…

Right Click >> 1/2 of normal Computer console size, problem solved. :)/>
1vannn the necromancer.
Lyqyd #182
Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

You may be being sarcastic, but in case you aren't, this will not have the desired effect

To those talking about "necromancy" and "do not suggest list", this topic has been grandfathered in, so to speak. As long as everyone plays nice, we'll let you talk all you want about PDAs/mobile devices/tablets/whatnots in this topic. It gives one convenient place to read (or ignore!) all of the discussion on them and gives everyone an outlet to express their opinion on them.
ChunLing #183
Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:38 AM
Just as an outlet, then:

OHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASEOHPLEASE!!!!

Erhm. Yeah, I eagerly await PDA implementation.
Skullblade #184
Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

You may be being sarcastic, but in case you aren't, this will not have the desired effect
-snip-
yeah I'm being sarcastic…
Cranium #185
Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:44 PM
To those talking about "necromancy" and "do not suggest list", this topic has been grandfathered in, so to speak. As long as everyone plays nice, we'll let you talk all you want about PDAs/mobile devices/tablets/whatnots in this topic. It gives one convenient place to read (or ignore!) all of the discussion on them and gives everyone an outlet to express their opinion on them.
Indeed. I find it much easier to moderate a SINGLE topic rather than dozens. I have no problems with this topic, as the majority of its posts have been useful suggestions.
JJRcop #186
Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:11 AM
I like the map idea. I'm not sure if this is what you guys mean, but my idea of it is, you have the tablet thing, you can see the screen, you right click to start accepting user input, esc to stop. (but the screen stays on the tablet and does not get any larger.)

Although, you guys may be referring to, you see the tablet, right click to make the same interface as the normal computer popup. I do not support that idea.
PixelToast #187
Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:15 AM
theres already a PDA mod, it dosent have the map like thing but you right click to open the UI
it does rely on a computer and a transmitter though
Sebra #188
Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:14 PM
That is the second mod called PDA without PDA in it. It is only remote console.
3LiD #189
Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:58 PM
Ok I know that a "laptop/PDA/tablet" is planned but instead I have an idea towards…

This may not work with something like a laptop but the idea is that the tablet/pda is opened like map where you can make the screen visable an not visable like you would with a map… On top of that I think maybe the tablet should come with built in rednet and a lower ammount of "ram" to make it more realistic.

Tell me what you think.
Shnupbups #190
Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:03 PM
You have no IDEA how much map-PDAs are suggested. Built in rednet? Maybe if you crafted it with a wireless modem. Lower amount of ram? You mean data space, right? But that would make sense.
GopherAtl #191
Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:13 AM
Literally no detail of this suggestion has not been suggested at least half a dozen times before.
Lyqyd #192
Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:29 AM
Threads merged.
SuicidalSTDz #193
Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:18 PM
Is there any word on having to charge PDA's? I thought it would balance the portability of them a bit. Tell me if i'm wrong. ^_^/>

This is not a necro post, I am simply avoiding making a new topic then have it merged with this one. :P/>
Dlcruz129 #194
Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:04 AM
Is there any word on having to charge PDA's? I thought it would balance the portability of them a bit. Tell me if i'm wrong. ^_^/>/>

This is not a necro post, I am simply avoiding making a new topic then have it merged with this one. :P/>/>

The majority of people seemed to be against the idea, but I don't remember if Cloudy said anything about it.
theoriginalbit #195
Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:07 AM
The majority of people seemed to be against the idea, but I don't remember if Cloudy said anything about it.
I quite like the idea. it kinda keeps the balance. only downside I see it clearly it wont use coal. so what would it use. redstone block? :P/>
Dlcruz129 #196
Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:09 AM
I quite like the idea. it kinda keeps the balance. only downside I see it clearly it wont use coal. so what would it use. redstone block? :P/>/>/>

I assumed it would integrate with Universal Electricity. Which would be a huge pain in the ass if we had to set up a generator station and whatnot just to use a damn PDA. And yeah, coal doesn't make sense. But I guess I wouldn't mind if it ran off redstone.
Cloudy #197
Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:12 AM
Any UE integration is now out of the question. I doubt you'll have to charge them.
theoriginalbit #198
Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:14 AM
I assumed it would integrate with Universal Electricity.
Why would you assume it would use that horrible thing?! Plus i could never see them relying on another mod to use an item in the vanilla mod.

I doubt you'll have to charge them.
Wasn't that originally said about turtles too? :P/>
Cloudy #199
Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:27 AM
Wasn't that originally said about turtles too? :P/>

Nope. It was always planned, dan just forgot before release :P/>
MysticT #200
Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:19 AM
I thought it would balance the portability of them a bit.
So, being unable to use redstone and peripherals is not enough balance?
SuicidalSTDz #201
Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:36 AM
I thought it would balance the portability of them a bit.
So, being unable to use redstone and peripherals is not enough balance?
Meh, I guess.
WhiteWolf1423 #202
Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:41 AM
This would be great. Couldn't agree more on the idea!
Dave-ee Jones #203
Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:56 AM
Why don't we add laptops to the mod?

Why would we want to add laptops to ComputerCraft?
Well, it is called ComputerCraft and it's about computers and creating and coding programs in Minecraft.

What would be the difference between a laptop and a computer?
Well, the basic GUI and things will be the same, but the laptops will be completely portable. The laptop could also have a battery charge, and if it is not charged or dead, it will automatically shut down.

Aren't computers already portable?
Not in the terms of the laptop. The laptop will be able to be placed on a block/table and be used. When shutdown/logged off it will then close and turn into a closed laptop and you will be able to pick it up and take it with you. Also, you might be able to use it while it's in your inventory, as you could just sit down and use it on your lap, hence it's name. It could be completely reusable.

Would there be any function or coding differences?
Well, the rednet functions could be changed, as the laptop is portable and can be moved from place to place, therefore getting closer to the rednet host. The laptop could also have a Remote Assistance function, allowing it to connect to another laptop/computer and control it with rednet/http.

Please comment and tell me any more ideas that could be added to this suggestion!
Thanks!
theoriginalbit #204
Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:00 AM
Nope. Not going to happen. It has been asked for many times and rejected each time as PDAs are their choice for a portable computer.

If you searched you would have found this out. Here is just one of the threads:
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/11738-laptops-just-trying-to-help/
tonkku107 #205
Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:33 AM
Nope. Not going to happen. It has been asked for many times and rejected each time as PDAs are their choice for a portable computer.

If you searched you would have found this out. Here is just one of the threads:
http://www.computerc...trying-to-help/
PDA?
theoriginalbit #206
Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:35 AM
PDA?
Portable Digital Assistant. The smartphone before there were such things as smartphones.
tonkku107 #207
Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:47 AM
PDA?
Portable Digital Assistant. The smartphone before there were such things as smartphones.
when is it coming? And i would like laptops too, but…
theoriginalbit #208
Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:48 AM
when is it coming?
who knows.
Lyqyd #209
Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:10 PM
Threads merged.
JJRcop #210
Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:24 PM
Threads merged.
What I wonder is how many times you will have to do so. :/
ChunLing #211
Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:14 AM
Maybe this should just be a sticky topic…or mentioned in one…oh wait it already is.

– mean comments about people not reading the pinned topics removed

Sometimes people don't read the pinned topics, it happens. There are ways to make that happen less, but we at least haven't had as many camera suggestions lately.
tonkku107 #212
Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:53 AM
1.4?
theoriginalbit #213
Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:03 AM
1.4?
Old topic.
Started by axciom, Apr 25 2012 09:50 PM
1vannn #214
Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:02 PM
Why don't the admins lock this? Cloudy has already confirmed that this would happen? Or is this for additional ideas?
theoriginalbit #215
Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:23 PM
Why don't the admins lock this? Cloudy has already confirmed that this would happen? Or is this for additional ideas?
It is currently being kept unlocked as a place for people to discuss it, and post the ideas they have about it, ideally, instead of creating a new topic for something that is already confirmed.
Apfeldstrudel #216
Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

Of course, a mod modifies the actual code of the game, there's no reason why not.
Except… You know… Any keys that were already bount wouldnt wprk… :P/>/>
Dlcruz129 #217
Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

Except… You know… Any keys that were already bount wouldnt wprk… :P/>/>

Just add that key to the Controls section of Options.
Apfeldstrudel #218
Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:41 AM
But… Read()? os.pullEvent("key")?
Jake3231 #219
Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:01 AM
I had the idea of having a LuaPhone, that had a few utility programs/apps, and it was wireless so you should communicate with other computers and phones. Or, there could be portable computers that do the some things. You could right click in air to open it while holding it. You could connect a wired modem to a portable computer/phone and cp or move programs. It would be like a remote computer, or a computer on the go.
Lyqyd #220
Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:14 AM
Threads merged. This was only six or seven posts below your topic when you created it. Please at least look around for your idea before you just go and post a new topic.
Tiin57 #221
Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:25 AM
But… Read()? os.pullEvent("key")?
The way I would envision doing it would be pressing a key to start capturing input while you're in the GUI.
Or, you know, you could just make the item bring up a proper GUI instead of making it a map. That'll be rendering hell.
Negi #222
Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:56 AM
A full GUI should be better, at least I think, but I had an idea, why not adding an "extension cards" system, for replacing peripherals, except that we could connect only one card. I don't know if my thoughts seems logic, if that would break the fourth wall (But I don't think like so.) or it is makeable, but Suggestions are here for that, no ?