This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
grand_mind1's profile picture

Better Tunnel

Started by grand_mind1, 13 August 2013 - 01:08 AM
grand_mind1 #1
Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:08 AM
Better Tunnel v2.0

So I found this old tunneling program that I had in one of my worlds and I decided to started using it in my new server. My friend wanted to use it as well so I made it a bit more user-friendly. I thought that while I was at it, I may as well add some more features and just make it overall better!

This is a program that makes a tunnel like the normal tunnel program but I tried to make it a bit better…

Features:
  • Make a tunnel with a user specified length
  • The turtle won't get stuck on gravel, sand, or mobs and will try to dig away all of it
  • Option to place chests and drop off items when the turtle's inventory gets full
  • You can also choose to use ender chests for dropping off items
  • Option to place torches along the way so mobs don't spawn in your tunnels
  • Ability to receive orders via Rednet or a user
  • The turtle can refuel itself from its inventory and wait for more fuel if none can be found
  • Ability to save all of your settings to a file so you don't have to select them every time!
  • The ability for the turtle to bridge over gaps and holes
  • A menu for enabling and disabling all of these settings
Planned Features:
  • Ability to resume mining if the chunk is unloaded and then reloaded
  • Ability to choose the exact dimensions of the tunnel
  • Ability to automatically return to where it started to drop off items
  • A separate program you can put on a computer to track the progress of the turtle
(More will come as I think of them!)

How to download and use:

You can easily download the program from pastebin like so:

pastebin get VbzaRCbf btunnel

"btunnel" can be replace with whatever you would like the program to be named

You can also view the code here: http://pastebin.com/VbzaRCbf

After you run the program the setup should be pretty simple. A menu in which you can enable certain settings will pop up. You can control the menu with the arrow keys and enter. After you select the continue button, the turtle will start mining! When the turtle has finished mining, it will ask you if you want to save the settings you used for that tunnel, for use in future tunnels. These settings will be stored in a newly created program named "btSettings". If you want to edit the settings manually you can edit this file(If you know what you're doing). If you decide to save the settings, then the next time you run the program it will ask you if you want to load those settings or create new ones.

This is my first program that I have released on the forums. I know it's not anything super special but I am new to programming and it's the first program I've made that has any real use that I will use after making it. I've been working on it for about 7 months when it was only 37 lines. It is now 628 lines long and I've put a lot of work into it. I would really enjoy some feedback.

:D/>/> :D/>/> :D/>/>
Edited on 02 February 2014 - 07:51 PM
bluefoxy #2
Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:15 AM
add the ablity to haved the user select the tunnel size as wel, liek the with and hight :D/>?
and have it Auto return to the starting point were it should unload
deFENCE_ #3
Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:41 AM

[*]Make a tunnel with a user specified length
[*]The turtle won't get stuck on gravel, sand, or mobs and will try to dig away all of it

Umm,, that's already in the original program
tunnel <length> 
isn't it?
grand_mind1 #4
Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

[*]Make a tunnel with a user specified length
[*]The turtle won't get stuck on gravel, sand, or mobs and will try to dig away all of it

Umm,, that's already in the original program
tunnel <length> 
isn't it?
Yes, that is in the original program I'm just saying that this does that as well.
Edited on 24 December 2013 - 06:27 PM
grand_mind1 #5
Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:30 AM
I've recently decided to start working on this program again so… here's what I've done!
Change Log
  • Added: The ability to select a specified slot for fuel so that fuel is not dropped off into a chest
  • Added: The turtle will attempt to move any of the coal it mines into the fuel slot
  • Added: The ability to select whether you would like a default 2x3 tunnel or a 3x3 tunnel
  • Changed: The turtle will now place it's chests above itself instead of below
  • Fixed: Ender chest functionality
  • Fixed: A bug where the turtle would sometimes load the settings file when it was told not to
I also changed a lot of how the code works internally. The program now has a new pastebin located here:
http://pastebin.com/VbzaRCbf

If you find any bugs with this new version, please tell me! As always feedback is greatly appreciated! :D/>
Harry__J__Potter #6
Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:12 PM
So tried out your Program, the latest one. At the end of setup I get this

btunnel:505: attempt to concatenste string and nil

I get this for every possible combination at setup
grand_mind1 #7
Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:14 AM
I was unable to reproduce your error. The error is saying that the variable "length" is nothing. You get this when the turtle finishes its tunnel? If it is nothing then the program shouldn't work right from the start.
Edited on 31 December 2013 - 01:16 AM
Harry__J__Potter #8
Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:54 PM
I was unable to reproduce your error. The error is saying that the variable "length" is nothing. You get this when the turtle finishes its tunnel? If it is nothing then the program shouldn't work right from the start.

I get it before it starts tunneling, tried re downloading same thing. I'm on Minecraft 1.4 Will it make the difference?
oxgon #9
Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:43 PM
Does the turtle have to have a modem even if you dont want to use rednet? I get no modem found error.

I added a modem and got it working!
Edited on 14 January 2014 - 05:47 PM
ClarkUndead #10
Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:41 PM
I am almost brand new to CC and i have been using your program but cannot access the settings, is it me or the program?
grand_mind1 #11
Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:01 PM
I am almost brand new to CC and i have been using your program but cannot access the settings, is it me or the program?
How are you trying to access the settings?
grand_mind1 #12
Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:09 PM
Does the turtle have to have a modem even if you dont want to use rednet? I get no modem found error.

I added a modem and got it working!
This bug should be fixed now.
AlucaBR #13
Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:32 AM
I need it but with chunk loader. is to integrate? and how do such integration?
grand_mind1 #14
Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:50 PM
I'm sorry but I don't really understand what you're asking. Do you want it to place a chunk loader?
grand_mind1 #15
Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:09 PM

I get it before it starts tunneling, tried re downloading same thing. I'm on Minecraft 1.4 Will it make the difference?
I'm not sure if it will make a difference but it might. Try updating and see if it does the same thing.
AlucaBR #16
Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:57 AM
I'm sorry but I don't really understand what you're asking. Do you want it to place a chunk loader?

I need the turtle never stop mining, simple hehe. the turtle load the chunk where it passes in minecraft 1.6.4
menellinde #17
Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:11 AM

I'm not sure if it will make a difference but it might. Try updating and see if it does the same thing.

I have had this same problem and it seems to happen if you add the chest / torches / fuel after you start answering the question. If I put the items in its inventory before I answer the questions everything works great.

Also any chance you could have it drop a block under itself if its flying over air / lava / water?

Aside from that, loving this prog
grand_mind1 #18
Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

I have had this same problem and it seems to happen if you add the chest / torches / fuel after you start answering the question. If I put the items in its inventory before I answer the questions everything works great.

Also any chance you could have it drop a block under itself if its flying over air / lava / water?

Aside from that, loving this prog
I'll take a look at this bug. Placing blocks under itself is a planned feature. :)/>

EDIT:
Ok, after doing some testing, I still can't reproduce this error. Could you try to explain what exactly is happening and the exact error you're getting?
Edited on 30 January 2014 - 05:30 PM
grand_mind1 #19
Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:46 PM
Better Tunnel v2.0 is here!
For about the past month, I've been working on major changes to this program. These changes include…
  • A new menu for selecting the options that control the tunnel. This is the biggest feature of this update. This menu replaces most the questions it used to ask you. A more colorful menu is planned for advanced turtles :)/>
  • There is now an option to make the turtle attempt to bridge over water, lava, and any other hole your turtle might run across. He will try to make a bridge over it!
  • I started adding infrastructure for the ability to resume the program between server reboots, single-player logouts, and any other chunk unloading that would cause the turtle to reboot.
  • I started working on the ability to choose specific dimensions of the tunnel instead of only having the options of 2x3 and 3x3.
  • The workings of the actual code has changed tremendously! The new menu allowed me to clean up a lot of messy code and also add a lot of new functions.
  • Bug fixes! Bug fixes! Bug fixes! I fixed a lot of bugs that were pointed out to me by people on this forum thread and on a server I play on. Thank you for catching these bugs :)/>
This program and this update have been a lot of fun to make. I really enjoy receiving feedback on my programs as it allows me to perfect and improve them.
While I did fix a lot of bugs in this update, I undoubtedly created some more. If you do find a bug please report it in a reply to this post. Also, if you would like to suggest anything to add to the program, by all means, post them here. If I think they are good then you're suggestion will end up in the program!
Thanks to everyone who helped me put this update together!
austinv11 #20
Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:44 PM
For about the past month, I've been working on major changes to this program. These changes include…
  • A new menu for selecting the options that control the tunnel. This is the biggest feature of this update. This menu replaces most the questions it used to ask you. A more colorful menu is planned for advanced turtles :)/>
  • There is now an option to make the turtle attempt to bridge over water, lava, and any other hole your turtle might run across. He will try to make a bridge over it!
  • I started adding infrastructure for the ability to resume the program between server reboots, single-player logouts, and any other chunk unloading that would cause the turtle to reboot.
  • I started working on the ability to choose specific dimensions of the tunnel instead of only having the options of 2x3 and 3x3.
  • The workings of the actual code has changed tremendously! The new menu allowed me to clean up a lot of messy code and also add a lot of new functions.
  • Bug fixes! Bug fixes! Bug fixes! I fixed a lot of bugs that were pointed out to me by people on this forum thread and on a server I play on. Thank you for catching these bugs :)/>
This program and this update have been a lot of fun to make. I really enjoy receiving feedback on my programs as it allows me to perfect and improve them.
While I did fix a lot of bugs in this update, I undoubtedly created some more. If you do find a bug please report it in a reply to this post. Also, if you would like to suggest anything to add to the program, by all means, post them here. If I think they are good then you're suggestion will end up in the program!
Thanks to everyone who helped me put this update together!

Well it's about damn time! :P/>
austinv11 #21
Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:30 PM
This is the bestest turtle program ever!!11!! I gets all the diamonds!
Sam_Starfall #22
Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:30 PM
is it possible to program it to goto a location to dig/build the tunnel to? like we are at gps(34,28,36) tunnel to gps(79,30,120). is it possible and not by going follow x to location then turn and go to z location and go up/down to y location. I have been looking around and don't see to many programs (tunneling or otherwise) to do this. can you add option to lay tracks behind it. they could just be regular tracks and you can manually add power rails later.
Sam_Starfall #23
Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

but the programs still say's its version 1.5