This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Cyclonit's profile picture

Flatscreens

Started by Cyclonit, 21 August 2013 - 06:56 AM
Cyclonit #1
Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:56 AM
Hi,

I guess this was suggested already, but seeing the new forge multiblocks, flatscreens may be somewhat "easier" to implement. I don't know what kind of changes would have to be made to implement flatscreens without using the multiblocks, but having them most likely takes away some of the required coding (positioning and such).

There are a lot of places where building a computer inside of the wall doesn't work and having them "hang" on the wall just seems silly, because of their depth.

Best regards,
Cyclonit
Lyqyd #2
Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:26 AM
This sounds like a problem that would be better addressed with a better design of the space. If there's no room in the wall, where will you put the computer to control the monitor? You can't connect to non-solid blocks with wired modems.
Cyclonit #3
Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:48 AM
You could place the computer just below the monitor (like a receiver sitting below the screen) or, just like in my situation, fitting the computer into the wall works, while there is not enough room for the whole screen. Flatscreens would bring a lot of possibilities and even though I don't know the code, implementing it shouldn't be too difficult. All of the texture handling would be essentially the same, taking depth as a new dimension into account, and placing the text differently should work out too.
Cranium #4
Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:34 AM
You could place the computer just below the monitor (like a receiver sitting below the screen) or, just like in my situation, fitting the computer into the wall works, while there is not enough room for the whole screen. Flatscreens would bring a lot of possibilities and even though I don't know the code, implementing it shouldn't be too difficult. All of the texture handling would be essentially the same, taking depth as a new dimension into account, and placing the text differently should work out too.
Yes, but as Lyqyd said:
You can't connect to non-solid blocks with wired modems.
So what benefit would these have other than not having to put your monitors in a wall?
Cyclonit #5
Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:03 PM
I don't see why currently not being able to connect modems to non-solid blocks is a hurdle. The only thing necessary to add an exclusion would be adding "Block.blocksList[world.getBlockID(x,y,z)] == blockWiredModem". But aside from that, if the flatscreen would be using multipart, the block being solid would not be a problem at all. Checking whether a block can be placed at a certain position is done by using "Block.canPlaceBlockAt(world,x,y,z)", which in turn uses the function "Block.isBlockSolidOnSide". The latter is being handled by multipart correctly.
Cranium #6
Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:42 PM
Well, then the question goes back to this:
What benefit would these have over the current monitors other than being 'flat', allowing them to be placed on walls for your base? I don't see any other reason why these are much better than the current full block monitors, since you can hide things within walls.
Cyclonit #7
Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:19 PM
They would not have any other benefit and I didn't say they are much better than the current full block monitors. They would be a viable addition to the mod in general. Just like monitors facing up-/downwards are. They are not necessary, they are no major revamp, but they are fairly simple and nice to have.
ChunLing #8
Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:25 AM
Well, there is the whole "flavor" of the mod issue to consider. The capabilities of CC computers seem to deliberately hark back to older technology, flat-screens don't seem to go with that. It's a bit like the "turtles are blind" doctrine. CC is still a minecraft mod, after all.