This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
PixelToast's profile picture

Pastebin Banned Us! Yay!

Started by PixelToast, 24 August 2013 - 05:27 AM
PixelToast #1
Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:27 AM
well today pastebin stopped working for CC (and everyone with a java user agent)
no need to spam IRC, everyone knows already

any thoughts?

Hastebin we go!
http://www.computerc...6-hastebin-get/

use tiin's! (hastebin)
http://www.computerc...astebin-getput/

or immibisss(sssss)!
http://www.computerc...in-replacement/
nolongerexistant #2
Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:32 AM
Hah, that's really bad. Just modify the Pastebin program to download/upload from your Dropbox.
PixelToast #3
Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:52 AM
Hah, that's really bad. Just modify the Pastebin program to download/upload from your Dropbox.
well, i have a http server (and a cross server ftp thingy) that i can use to download / upload files .-.
and most server i know have a filezilla set up, making it even easier
Tiin57 #4
Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:54 AM
Here we go, Hastebin client.
http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/14893-hastebin-getput/
immibis #5
Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:24 AM
Temporary pastebin replacement
kornichen #6
Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:34 AM
Yay! The new pastebin is hastebin :D/> That's the way ComputerCrafter do it!

Everything is fine, isn't it?

I for my part have just put the hastebin downloader into the ROM folder with WinRAR and now using hastebin :D/>
PixelToast #7
Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:07 AM
erm, you dont need to modify the rom with the jar
and eww winzip
Tiin57 #8
Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:41 AM
OR, just use hastebin. :D/>
PixelToast #9
Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:05 AM
OR, just use hastebin. :D/>
shaddup
Goof #10
Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:20 AM
That means everything (OS'es / Autoupdater's etc) has to be rewritten… JUST because of pastebin… I hope Dan and Cloudy are going to make the pastebin function use "hastebin" instead, or just something else so we dont have to rewrite everything

:(/>
Imgoodisher #11
Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:16 AM
That means everything (OS'es / Autoupdater's etc) has to be rewritten… JUST because of pastebin… I hope Dan and Cloudy are going to make the pastebin function use "hastebin" instead, or just something else so we dont have to rewrite everything

You really only have to upload stuff somewhere else and change some URLs (or add a hastebin (or whatever you're using) download function if you're using the pastebin program and not the HTTP API)
ETHANATOR360 #12
Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:29 AM
why exactly did they ban us?
hbar #13
Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:31 PM
As an alternative I can also offer my Gist client for GitHubs pastebin-like service. Not that it has any real advantages over the hastebin program (except you can have multiple files behind one ID), but maybe people like to have options.

Might as well host it on hastebin too.
GopherAtl #14
Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:40 PM
unless I missed something, it's not clear the intent was to block cc specifically, it may have been a decision to block scrapers running as java agents in general that just affects cc as well. But then again, I know in the past mc servers have specifically gotten themselves blocked by IP address, at least temporarily, for pounding pastebin so much. It's entirely possible this new love affair with auto-updaters on the cc forums has resulted in people pounding pastebin more vigorously, grabbing at least index files to compare versions every time any computer with those programs reboots in-game.

In either case, there's no reason to think switching to hastebin would be a permanent solution to this problem, as hastebin may follow suit and make a similar change in the future.

:edit: Also, I just used pastebin in ssp and smp. It worked fine. It did not block me. Either they realised the java agent block was affecting more than they intended, or the block was only temporary.
Tiin57 #15
Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:46 PM
Yeah, ds84182 managed to talk to a pastebin admin, it's resolved.
immibis #16
Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:54 PM
That's the risk you took by hosting your OS on a server outside your/dan/cloudy's control…
Zudo #17
Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:18 AM
Yeah, ds84182 managed to talk to a pastebin admin, it's resolveed.

Cookies to ds84182 you amazing person!
newnottakenname #18
Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:15 AM
Yeah, ds84182 managed to talk to a pastebin admin, it's resolveed.

For me, when downloading a program from pastebin, it still answers: "Failed"
Anyone else having the same problem?
theoriginalbit #19
Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:32 AM
I have no problems at all I can upload and download from pastebin.
Cranium #20
Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:16 AM
I assume Pastebin is still working some kinks out, but they are now no longer targeting java users, and their filter is less strict. All CC players should be able to use their services again.