This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
CCJJSax's profile picture

Upgrade To Keep Inventory On Turtle Break

Started by CCJJSax, 31 August 2013 - 04:24 PM
CCJJSax #1
Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:24 PM
I'm sure this has been asked a few times before. But I searched a little through past suggestions and didn't find this.

In the mod Thermal Expansion, you can right click a tesseract with pulverized shiny metal and it will retain it's frequency and other data.

I think it would be useful with turtles keeping their inventory when broken because there are plenty of mining programs that dig out however large of a tunnel and they can place torches/chests etc. along the way. Some will also keep fuel in a slot. But when it gets to the end of the tunnel and stops, a lot of people will break it and move it to another place. at which point they will need to put the items back into those slots.

I can see a downside to this. Nesting these types of turtles into each other for unlimited inventory space, but that problem has been solved by other mods, so that shouldn't be an issue. I don't think it should be a cheap upgrade, but I don't think it's ridiculously over powered, so it shouldn't be through the roof expensive either.
Bubba #2
Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:40 PM
This wouldn't make much sense to me. A turtle behaves like a chest that has the ability to manipulate its contents. If the turtle were to keep items upon breaking, it would no longer be similar to a chest.

However, this does give me an idea for a neat peripheral. An ender chest turtle would be similar to vanilla ender chests in that they are linked to players and do not drop their contents upon breaking. To keep them from being overpowered I would only allow for a single "channel" of inventories, unlike ChickenBones EnderStorage mod.

Off to coding I guess :)/>
CCJJSax #3
Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:52 AM
This wouldn't make much sense to me. A turtle behaves like a chest that has the ability to manipulate its contents. If the turtle were to keep items upon breaking, it would no longer be similar to a chest.

However, this does give me an idea for a neat peripheral. An ender chest turtle would be similar to vanilla ender chests in that they are linked to players and do not drop their contents upon breaking. To keep them from being overpowered I would only allow for a single "channel" of inventories, unlike ChickenBones EnderStorage mod.

Off to coding I guess :)/>

I like this idea too :)/> I can see what you mean by the turtle is meant to act like a chest. I think it could be useful for the upgrade, but it's understandable if it doesn't fit under the vision of computercraft.
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:42 AM
To keep them from being overpowered I would only allow for a single "channel" of inventories, unlike ChickenBones EnderStorage mod.
So basically a vanilla enderchest then :P/>
Sebra #5
Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:18 AM
Standard Enderchest would force Turtle to remember it's owner. What if your Turtle would be stolen?
LBPHacker #6
Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:42 AM
Standard Enderchest would force Turtle to remember it's owner. What if your Turtle would be stolen?
Vanilla Ender Chest doesn't remember its owner neither. It shows the quantum-inventory of the player who opens it. Though that raises the question; Whose quantum-inventory will the Turtle use?!
Zudo #7
Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:45 AM
Even if this was possible, how would you get the items back?
theoriginalbit #8
Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:00 AM
Though that raises the question; Whose quantum-inventory will the Turtle use?!
The ComputerCraft Turtle player? Or a new "player" that is a unique CC Turtle player by using the computer ID?
wilcomega #9
Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:09 AM
Though that raises the question; Whose quantum-inventory will the Turtle use?!
The ComputerCraft Turtle player? Or a new "player" that is a unique CC Turtle player by using the computer ID?
that would be the best thing i guess
Bubba #10
Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:00 AM
To keep them from being overpowered I would only allow for a single "channel" of inventories, unlike ChickenBones EnderStorage mod.
So basically a vanilla enderchest then :P/>/>

Well, yeah :)/> Except that this enderchest can move, dig, and manipulate its contents.

Well unfortunately I don't have access to the turtle Tile Entity for knowing when the turtle is opened (unless anyone has any ideas on that count that don't violate Dan's TOA?). If the turtle is stolen… well you'd better make sure your turtle isn't stolen :)/> Maybe I can make a password protected method that hides/restores the items. Maybe that could use some of the turtle's fuel to keep it from being "too OP".

Even if this was possible, how would you get the items back?

Are you referring to the OP's post or to mine? If mine, then it would behave just like a vanilla Ender Chest and you would just take the items out.
theoriginalbit #11
Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:20 AM
Well, yeah :)/> Except that this enderchest can move, dig, and manipulate its contents.
Yeh I was just saying like a vanilla one, since you said not like the chicken_bones one…

Well unfortunately I don't have access to the turtle Tile Entity for knowing when the turtle is opened (unless anyone has any ideas on that count that don't violate Dan's TOA?). If the turtle is stolen… well you'd better make sure your turtle isn't stolen :)/> Maybe I can make a password protected method that hides/restores the items. Maybe that could use some of the turtle's fuel to keep it from being "too OP".
I think that if the turtle is stolen, the person who stole it would have access to the turtle, and the turtle has access to the ender chest right. So that means that the turtle would have access to the same things in the chest as when it was destroyed right?

it would behave just like a vanilla Ender Chest and you would just take the items out.
I think it would be cool, if possible, for you to make it so that if the player right-clicks the ender chest that is on the turtle you open the ender chest's inventory (but to vanilla specs, so it's your stuff not the turtles :P/>) and then the turtles GUI looks the same and items are extracted from it's ender chest via API calls :)/>
jay5476 #12
Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:29 AM
well maybe based of the OP it wouldn't be to the player but the turtle as it is a way to keep stored items (ender storage) , even though it would be awesome if it could acsess the players ender chest, but even if someone opens your turtle edits code so that when you open it uses your user to get the items… anyway awesome idea could be implemented but with some balance
Sebra #13
Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:20 AM
Just as a variant: Turtle, enchanted with Silk Touch keep inventory when broken.
Left4Cake #14
Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:41 PM
So a turtal backpack.
aaa #15
Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:51 PM
There could be a legacy system : a turtle crafted by Lord X would have access to the quantum-inventory of Lord X, so does the turtles crafted by the turtle crafted by Lord X. And we could replace "crafted" by "labeled", or by "legitimated", where legitimation would be a new function.
Cranium #16
Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:11 PM
You folks already have enderchests. I don't see this happening at all.
CCJJSax #17
Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:44 AM
You folks already have enderchests. I don't see this happening at all.

Well we had normal chests before too. Turtles were still useful. I see that an ender turtle would be difficult to make work well. Thats why I don't see it happening. though I like the idea of an ender turtle.