This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
sci4me's profile picture

Scinux

Started by sci4me, 05 September 2013 - 08:15 PM
sci4me #1
Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:15 PM
Hey guys! So, this is my OS called SciNux (very original eh? :P/>). Basically, this OS is intended to be installed on server computers. It could be used for other things, but thats why i'm developing it. It has an auto updater that downloads from my GitHub page if the version number on github is greater than the number on the local version. It's file system is protected via overriding fs api functions. As far as I know, it is fully protected against being edited or deleted. This OS is fairly early in development and may have bugs. Currently, (i think but i COULD be wrong), the only way to uninstall the OS is to delete the actual startup file. It may be possible to do ingame via booting from a disc. As this OS is (supposed to be) a linux style OS for servers, it is only a console. I am considering doing a "rewrite" but for now, I will continue developing the OS as is. Here is a description of the file system:

/startup - obviously the startup file
/boot - contains .boot lua scripts that are ran on system boot
/etc - application configurations are stored here
/lib - lua libraries are stored here
/log - log files are stored here
/srv - application data is stored here
/tmp - temporary files are stored here

Since this is a console based OS, I find it silly to provide pictures. The most interesting thing is a progress bar for downloading updates.

This OS is also a very barebones OS. It providers you with a basic structure, a few libraries and an auto-updating, supported system. I have considered not advertising this at all, but I figured what the heck. Hopefully someone will find this useful or interesting and maybe someone will even want to help develop it. If you do want to develop it, its all done on github. Just let me know! Thanks for checking this out! I hope you found this useful! :)/>

The github page: https://github.com/sci4me/SciNux
PixelToast #2
Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:47 PM
code is really really messy
sci4me #3
Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:49 PM
yeah, thats part of why i might recode it. but yeah…
finkmac #4
Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:45 PM
Why not base it around Unix? Linux-clones seem to be a bit common here… Try something else!
MailoStudios #5
Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:37 PM
please make a pastebin link

and add screenshots
nutcase84 #6
Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:44 AM
Why not base it around Unix? Linux-clones seem to be a bit common here… Try something else!

What?
TheGamerOfAction #7
Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:11 PM
I'm not quite sure if you're allowed to have this anti-deletion nonsense…
sci4me #8
Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:12 PM
I'm not quite sure if you're allowed to have this anti-deletion nonsense…
Why the **** not? Its perfectly valid and not really nonsense… besides, its not like it bricks the comp…

please make a pastebin link

and add screenshots
of what… its just a terminal…

… the filesystem… but other than that… uhm…
TheGamerOfAction #9
Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:46 PM
This is why you aren't allowed it: http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/14726-a-program-to-reverse-a-screen/page__pid__142876#entry142876
I'm using mobile so I can't link it.
LBPHacker #10
Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:32 PM
This is why you aren't allowed it: http://www.computerc...876#entry142876
Aha. That was a program which messed up the screen. How on Earth is that in connection with protecting the entrails of an OS?!
TheGamerOfAction #11
Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:01 AM
This is why you aren't allowed it: http://www.computerc...876#entry142876
Aha. That was a program which messed up the screen. How on Earth is that in connection with protecting the entrails of an OS?!
It was locked because of some anti-deletion thing, this also has an anti-deletion thing.