This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
oeed's profile picture

Api/app For Ip.board Notifications

Started by oeed, 11 September 2013 - 07:51 PM
oeed #1
Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:51 PM
I'm looking for a way to retrieve the notifications from the list at the top right of the website. I've done a bit of Googling and can't find anything. Essentially, I'm trying to make a Mac app which tells you when you receive a notification (well, checking every few minutes or so). Now, I could load the page and use hacky methods to get the items, but if there's a better way I'd like to know. Also, if you know of a Mac app which does the same let me know. This may be against the (what seems to be rather strict) rules/guidelines of the software, if this is the case please also let me know.
Cranium #2
Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:55 AM
There is no app to do this, as each iteration of IP.Board is different, depending on the configurations. You can however change your settings to email you upon certain notifications.
oeed #3
Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:27 PM
There is no app to do this, as each iteration of IP.Board is different, depending on the configurations. You can however change your settings to email you upon certain notifications.

I see. I am aware that I can be emailed, it just ends up cluttering my inbox. I might just make a folder for it if I can't find a better way.
raptorsystems #4
Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:18 PM
You could look at using something like a greesemonkey script too hook into growl. I haven't used greasemonkey or similar with growl to really know how, just putting the idea out there.
http://www.growlforwindows.com/gfw/help/greasemonkey.aspx
Wobbo #5
Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

I see. I am aware that I can be emailed, it just ends up cluttering my inbox. I might just make a folder for it if I can't find a better way.
If you use Mail.app, you could write a Mail rule that fires an Apple Script. You could probably send a notification out that way, although you maybe need to use Cocoa to get it to work properly.
After you are done with the mail, you could automatically trash it or move it to a different mailbox.
zekesonxx #6
Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:19 PM
In the name of hacking, when you click on the Notifications button with Javascript enabled it dynamically loads your notifications.
Which includes a request to index.php that returns just notifications.

Check into that.
theoriginalbit #7
Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:22 PM
In the name of hacking, when you click on the Notifications button with Javascript enabled it dynamically loads your notifications.
Which includes a request to index.php that returns just notifications.
How is that hacking exactly… You just looked at the source of a HTML/JS file
AgentE382 #8
Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:29 PM
Figuring out how something works because you enjoy it is part of the classic definition of hacking. It fits as hacking because zeke actually read this topic, wondered how he would do it, and investigated.

As I write this post, I'm thinking about how I would do it if I wrote a scraper from scratch, what language I would use, which libraries, whether I would modify a scraper I already wrote, whether I would use the e-mail feature, etc.

I'll probably end up writing one myself for Windows. I might use Lua, so you could get notifications on your ComputerCraft computers about ComputerCraft forum posts. Then again, I might write one in C# so it would be cross-platform. I realized I want an app for my iPad, so I'll probably use Xamarin, unless I find I need to P/Invoke something, which would require a license upgrade. In that case, I'll write the desktop version in C# and the iPhone / Android version as a C library with a Java GUI for Android and an Objective-C GUI for iOS. (I'm a student, so I won't buy anything expensive without careful consideration.)

Yeah, I think I might actually do that. It'll be a while because I have a ton of work to do already, but maybe sometime next month.

That is, of course, assuming that oeed's program will only run on Macs. If it runs on Windows, I'll use his.

http://en.wikipedia....mer_subculture)
http://www.catb.org/...l/H/hacker.html

Wikipedia
The act of engaging in activities (such as programming or other media[4]) in a spirit of playfulness and exploration is termed hacking.
Hacking entails some form of excellence, for example exploring the limits of what is possible,[5] thereby doing something exciting and meaningful.[4]
Hacking is not using process of elimination to find a solution; it's the process of finding a clever solution to a problem.

Jargon File
A person who enjoys exploring the details of programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum necessary.
One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively overcoming or circumventing limitations.

EDIT: Sorry, guys. I was really tired when I made this post. I usually don't think out loud (or out type), and I assumed you didn't know the definition. Bit, just to let you know, I consider you to be one of the great hackers on these forums because of the excellent work you constantly do.
Edited on 15 November 2013 - 03:50 AM