This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
wilcomega's profile picture

Dfu Boot Mode

Started by wilcomega, 16 October 2013 - 12:51 PM
wilcomega #1
Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:51 PM
booting a computer in DFU mode would allow for the edit of rom files for that computer only, this would be accomplished by creating a folder somehow on the computer and haveing the edited files in there and any files left alone will just still be taken from the lua folder in the mod itself. also in DFU mode the computer is frozen and cannot do snything unless a crtl key for shutdown or reboot is done. the only for a computer to start in DFU mode would be through its peripheral object, this would mean that you will need an external computer to edit ROM files(i know that rom stands for read only memory).

the possibilities would add on the the already infiti list. you could prevent booting from disks or just edit the shell to remove limitations in CC
on the other hand there should be limitations to what can be edited. i could see people create memory leaks and infinite loops. if it gets denied for that reason, i argree but there could also be limitations, for example you can only add new files to the rom and those will automaticly be executed and a peripheral function is used to allow booting from disks.

this would make for some really advanced security systems and/or evil viruses.
hope you have enyojed reading this topic :)/>,
wilcomega
Lyqyd #2
Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:56 PM
Read-Only Memory.

Locked.