This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
kornichen's profile picture

Kreos As A Real Operating System?

Started by kornichen, 24 October 2013 - 10:28 AM
kornichen #1
Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:28 PM
Hello,

already when I was developing KreOS 1.0 I had the plan to let KreOS be a real operating system for real computers. Cause of the fact that it is real hard work to write a operating system for i86 and i64 architecture I want to ask you what you do think of that. It would be based on Debian like Ubuntu, Linux Mint etc.
I plan to release KreOS 4.0 (as real and a CC OS) on 01.04.2014 (04/01/2014).

~kornichen
Mads #2
Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:46 PM
I don't think you should write an operating system, as you don't even know what architectures you're playing with. You'd also be better off knowing what's actually going on. Developing a CC "OS" is in no way proper preparation for creating an actual OS.
kornichen #3
Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:03 PM
Yes, I know because I am having informatics in school and at the moment we have to create a Debian based operating system as a project for this year. So I know how to do. I can't to it alone so the teacher put us in groups of 8 students.
Mads #4
Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:13 PM
Well, you're clearly showing lack of information about computer architectures.
ShadowedZenith #5
Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:25 PM
isn't i86 and i64 Intel Itanium processors or what ever? I think you mean x86 and x86-64… >.> Either way, I'd say it's probably not a good idea to try to make yet another Debian/Ubuntu distro. What exactly is yours going to bring that they don't already provide?
Xenthera #6
Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:15 PM
This reminds me of that kid that wanted an exact replica of Roller Coaster Tycoon in CC. "I want it, but don't want to do the work" seems to be the theme here.
M4sh3dP0t4t03 #7
Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:19 PM
I think making an actual os based on an os in cc isn't a very good idea, because it probably won't look very well. But if you do this, it would be awesome if it had a cc emulator pre-installed, which you can access from the command line. And it would be nice if there was an option to make a terminal window that looks exactly like the CC shell(same resolution, same font, etc.)

This reminds me of that kid that wanted an exact replica of Roller Coaster Tycoon in CC. "I want it, but don't want to do the work" seems to be the theme here.
He never said that he didn't want to do the work.
Xenthera #8
Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:46 PM
I think making an actual os based on an os in cc isn't a very good idea, because it probably won't look very well. But if you do this, it would be awesome if it had a cc emulator pre-installed, which you can access from the command line. And it would be nice if there was an option to make a terminal window that looks exactly like the CC shell(same resolution, same font, etc.)

He never said that he didn't want to do the work.

I didn't mean it like.. (sigh) forget it. I'm not in the mood to argue on the internet today…
lieudusty #9
Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:01 PM
I plan to release KreOS 4.0 (as real and a CC OS) on 01.04.2014 (04/01/2014).

4/01/2014..
April fools :D/>
jay5476 #10
Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:47 AM
well it would be nice to see what you come up with if you based it off CC and used Lua it would be awesome to see
nutcase84 #11
Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:58 AM
I've already started to do this with FlowOS. This screenshot is old though… when it was still FireOS. This is the mobile version.

And The desktop version… this screenshot is newer.

They're HTML 5 based. They aren't very useful right now… but I'm working on it. :D/>
Engineer #12
Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:03 AM
It is great to see people trying to create their own OS's for an actual real-life computer. But you might ask yourself, why should the end-user my OS instead of the well-known OS's that are out there?

I mean really, there are 3 major OS's (for desktops):
  1. Windows
  2. OS X
  3. Linux + distro
Those all have great options available and are very big. Please note that I do not want to start the "My OS is better" flame war here, but Im just pointing out advantages of each OS:

Windows:
  • You do not have to know shit about the command line
  • It is mostly straigh forward to accomplish things (This is in general, not little details for localhost etc. )
OS X, I actually know too few about this OS, so I leave that to others
Linux based systems:
  • You have a lovely command line with many features
  • It's fast? (Dunno more advantages)

But the thing here what I want to say here is: why should I use your OS? What does it have what others dont have?
Of course, that is very hard to answer in such an early stage, but you should know when you started developing your OS what you wanted to accomplish. Not just "lets make an OS!", but you must have thought of features you wanted to include.

It is very hard to beat an existing OS, just because those have been developed over the years and I believe you cannot overcome that within a year of your developing for an OS.

And one last thing: please spend most of your time writing your kernel, a beatiful graphical system cannot beat a system that has a proper kernel.

Now, after all this downtalk, I want to say this: if you really enjoy writing an OS, dont let me stand in the way. Go ahead and write yours just for fun :)/>
Just my thoughts here.. Dont hate me :P/>
ShadowedZenith #13
Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

OS X, I actually know too few about this OS, so I leave that to others

But the thing here what I want to say here is: why should I use your OS? What does it have what others dont have?
Of course, that is very hard to answer in such an early stage, but you should know when you started developing your OS what you wanted to accomplish. Not just "lets make an OS!", but you must have thought of features you wanted to include.

It is very hard to beat an existing OS, just because those have been developed over the years and I believe you cannot overcome that within a year of your developing for an OS.

And one last thing: please spend most of your time writing your kernel, a beatiful graphical system cannot beat a system that has a proper kernel.

Now, after all this downtalk, I want to say this: if you really enjoy writing an OS, dont let me stand in the way. Go ahead and write yours just for fun :)/>
Just my thoughts here.. Dont hate me :P/>

He said he was planning on using the Linux kernel and that it'd be a Debian based distro, so really the question is what is it going to offer that I don't get with my Linux Mint install or my Debian install.

As for OSX, I don't really think it has too many advantages over Windows or Linux outside of it being purely Unix based and Unix certified. It's also limited down to Mac hardware unless you're willing to take the time to install a cracked version that you likely won't be able to update on non Mac hardware. I guess it has better application support than Linux, which is a plus in some regards (such as Photoshop and the Adobe suite).
M4sh3dP0t4t03 #14
Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:39 AM
I don't intend to start a flame war, but for me the biggest advantage of OSX is that you can not use the command line once in your life just as well as use it every day. On Linux you are going to use the command line much more and on windows it's just bad(in my opinion, I don't want to start a flame war).
ShadowedZenith #15
Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:57 AM
I don't intend to start a flame war, but for me the biggest advantage of OSX is that you can not use the command line once in your life just as well as use it every day. On Linux you are going to use the command line much more and on windows it's just bad(in my opinion, I don't want to start a flame war).

It really depends on what you're doing in each OS. PowerShell is meant to expand on the command line. I'd agree that in OSX I find myself never really having to use the terminal, but then there are similar situations where certain features of OSX I don't use can only be disabled by the terminal, just like in Windows (In OSX it was that silly dashboard, in Windows it was the Hybernation file that felt the need to be created on my SSD). Though I supose I'm starting to get off topic here a little bit, I guess we're kind of giving ideas as to what he should do in his OS?
Mads #16
Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:26 PM
If you're going to do anything like this, I'd suggest making a window manager instead.
infinitehavoc #17
Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:49 AM
In my opinion, go ahead with it. If computercraft has ispired you to make a real world OS, then the devs should be proud of what they have acheived. I have no experiances with OS's, but I think it would be a good way to learn something new, and if you have to for school, why not base it on something you have done here.

Good luck, I look forward to a release of any OS that has sprouted from this game.