This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
sk_2013's profile picture

Upgraded Turtles[Equipable Items]

Started by sk_2013, 04 May 2012 - 01:49 AM
sk_2013 #1
Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:49 AM
I traditionally play on a fairly fast computer but a reletively slow internet connection, but I like to play Faction and War servers. For those of you who don't know, Slow internet and faction wars is a horrible combination. Thus, I resort to good old ingenuity to make automated defense systems (this mod, henceforth, is about as awesome as it gets). However, some things that I think would be nice:

1. Equipable Items: Instead of having a seperate "Mining" turtle, allow turtles to have an equipable item (like a pick/sword/shovel/bucke, or in a slightly different mindset, sensor packs, enchanced GPS, weaponpack, etc) that fills the same spot as the pick on the current mining turtle, but allows for greater functionality.

2. Enhanced Detection: Being able to detect what's around you is great, but it would be nice to know with a little more accuracy what is in front of you.

3. Sensors: Possibly a Camera to hook into the monitors, laser rangefinders, radar, fire/water detectors, motion detectors, etc.

4. Selfdestruct: Why not?

I'm not 100% what would be deemed "unfeasable" and what would be deemed "Just stupid", but those are my thoughts.
OmegaVest #2
Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:32 PM
Well, I think this has been suggested before. Except the self-destruct thing, because really you can do that with TNT and the turtle's internal redstone emission.

So, to break down your points here:
1. Yeah, suggested, forgot where. Would be nice, though.
2. Not happening. Dan200 apparently came down from wherever he is and said Nay.
3. Ehm, yeah same problem with number 2.
4. TNT + rs.setOutput("front", true) or digDown() and then blow it up from below.

The turtle is meant for mining utility, not warfare. If you really want to do something like that with them, then write something that doesn't need this. Turtles can already fight each other. And if you use sand, you can make a "smokescreen" so other turtles can't easily follow them.
kazagistar #3
Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:19 AM
Best defense is a good offense, and turtles can TNT carpet bomb rather well. Or you can just make them dissassemble a base rather quickly.
ComputerCraftFan11 #4
Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:06 PM
Well, I think this has been suggested before. Except the self-destruct thing, because really you can do that with TNT and the turtle's internal redstone emission.

So, to break down your points here:
1. Yeah, suggested, forgot where. Would be nice, though.
2. Not happening. Dan200 apparently came down from wherever he is and said Nay.
3. Ehm, yeah same problem with number 2.
4. TNT + rs.setOutput("front", true) or digDown() and then blow it up from below.

The turtle is meant for mining utility, not warfare. If you really want to do something like that with them, then write something that doesn't need this. Turtles can already fight each other. And if you use sand, you can make a "smokescreen" so other turtles can't easily follow them.

2. It's possible to program a camera that puts a "#" wherever a block is (kinda like a game) I made one once in my old server.
ChunLing #5
Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:11 AM
You can build a sensor network using regular redstone devices and hook them up to wireless modems arranged in a positioning system. Then write a program that lets the turtles take action (like bombing a location where intruders have been detected).
D3matt #6
Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:33 AM
I dont get what Dan's issue is with making turtles have better block detection, tbh. The way it works now is pointlessly archaic.