This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
FlashingLight's profile picture

Print Control - A Gui For Your Printer!

Started by FlashingLight, 09 November 2013 - 01:50 PM
FlashingLight #1
Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:50 PM
Print Control 0.6

A GUI for your printer!

Hey everyone! Today i release my new program, it's basically an In-game document creator and it makes printers more usable! Lets take a close look to my program. Also, i'm not english, i'm from belgium ;)/>/>

Features
Spoiler
  • Create documents and print them instantly!
  • Checks ink and paper level.
  • Refresh and close command
  • Documents can have a maximum of 10 lines. Each line can have a maximum of 25 characters.
  • More features coming!
  • Document creator: show the margin of the file where you have to write
  • Cover creator: create a cover with a footer, header, title and subtitle!
  • Letter creator: write a letter for your friend!
  • List creator: write the things you have to do!

Known Bugs
Spoiler
  • Currently none. Please leave some feedback if you found any problems, bugs, …

Usage: MUST READ!
Spoiler
  • Simple as that. Place a printer next to your pc. Load the program in your computer and you're done!
  • NOTE: If you want to print your document, you have to write stop. LOWERCASE!
  • If you want to create a document, write: new doc.
  • If you want to create a cover, write: new cover.
  • If you want to create a letter, write: new letter.
  • If you want to create a list, write: new list.

Screenshots

New main menu! Now the ink and paper will color red if there is less then 10 paper/ink in the printer. If there is enough, it will color green. V0.6

New title of document

New document creator: shows the margin of the file. V0.2

New printed file with margin! V0.2

NEW! Cover creator! V0.3

Printed cover! V0.3

NEW! Letter creator, write a letter for your friend! V0.4

Printed letter! V0.4

NEW! List creator, write the things you have to do! V0.5

Printed list! V0.5

Download V0.6
Download my program from pastebin!
One thing: if you see in my program "version 0.1", don't worry, i forgot to change the version ;P I will change it in the next update!

pastebin get Q7PHL0Kw [name]

Thank you for reading this post.
Edited on 13 November 2013 - 07:06 AM
Cozzimoto #2
Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:20 PM
works well. i can see where you cannot utilize the entire page.

Suggestion: when you start a document maybe clear the screen as a user would already know the commands, and maybe throw some margins so the user could see the boundaries of the page
FlashingLight #3
Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:00 AM
works well. i can see where you cannot utilize the entire page.

Suggestion: when you start a document maybe clear the screen as a user would already know the commands, and maybe throw some margins so the user could see the boundaries of the page
Thanks for your feedback Cozzimoto. I will try to add your suggestion ASAP. It's my first program ever, so i still have to learn much.
FlashingLight #4
Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:23 AM
NEW UPDATE!!! V0.2
  • NEW Document creator! Now it shows you the margin of the file where you have to write!
  • The printed file has now margin!
LDShadowLord #5
Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:01 AM
My suggestion is to add a drop down menu at the top. Remove all the "information" stuff so you can fit in a lot more lines as right now 10 is not great.
Edited on 10 November 2013 - 05:19 AM
FlashingLight #6
Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:45 AM
My suggestion is to add a drop down menu at the top. Remove all the "information" stuff so you can fit in a lot more lines as right now 10 is not great.
I don't have experience with drop-down menu's, maybe someone could help me ?
Cozzimoto #7
Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:42 AM
well id say one of my favorite people that ive learned from is NitrogenFingers, HERE is a video he did a while back on some GUI stuff. also what helped me learn was diving in and looking at other peoples programs tear them apart and see how the different pieces work. you may be a different learner than i am so i am here to give you a few options =D
FlashingLight #8
Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:16 AM
well id say one of my favorite people that ive learned from is NitrogenFingers, HERE is a video he did a while back on some GUI stuff. also what helped me learn was diving in and looking at other peoples programs tear them apart and see how the different pieces work. you may be a different learner than i am so i am here to give you a few options =D

Cozzimoto, thank you for the vid! I will take a look at it sometime, but now i'm improving my program. There's a new update coming! Be prepared! ;D
FlashingLight #9
Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:31 AM
NEW UPDATE! V0.3
  • Added cover creator! With footer, header, title and subtitle.
Edited on 10 November 2013 - 08:31 AM
Geforce Fan #10
Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:29 PM
Looks cool, but you could improve on/add:
  • A way to save the doccument
  • Keybinds!
  • A menu, and you could save and print through this menu rather than writing stop
  • Text should automatically go down to the next line when it overflows
  • The printer should start AFTER you finish editing

However, I see a LOT of potential in this.
Edited on 10 November 2013 - 12:30 PM
Cozzimoto #11
Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:10 PM
awesome, ill have to test the new update later, im writing ideas down for my next project, so keep us posted
and i agree with hithere_, i see potential in this as well
FlashingLight #12
Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:00 PM
Looks cool, but you could improve on/add:
  • A way to save the doccument
  • Keybinds!
  • A menu, and you could save and print through this menu rather than writing stop
  • Text should automatically go down to the next line when it overflows
  • The printer should start AFTER you finish editing

However, I see a LOT of potential in this.
Thanks hithere_ for your feedback. Your ideas are in one word: excellent! But what do you mean with: the printer should start after you finish editing? And how do i do keybinds? I'm new to computercraft, sorry. And the overflow thingy, i don't know how to do that ether… Sorry again xD
Edited on 10 November 2013 - 02:03 PM
FlashingLight #13
Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:52 AM
NEW UPDATE!! V0.4
  • NEW! Letter creator, write a letter for your friend!
  • Now you can write 15 lines in the document creator instead of 10
  • Fixed some bugs of printing a document, letter or cover
Enjoy!
FlashingLight #14
Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:14 AM
NEW UPDATE!! V0.5
  • NEW! List creator, write the things you have to do!
Edited on 11 November 2013 - 09:14 AM
LDShadowLord #15
Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:46 AM
Suggestion: You said you HAVE to name it print and it has to be in root. No it doesn't. make a variable at the top called whatever you like (I'll call it prog for simplicity) and put "prog = shell.getRunningProgram()" where you have "shell.run("print")" replace it with "shell.run(prog) and it will work whatever the file name is and possibly whatever the directory is?

Also, another note. Don't post each time you release an update, the mods will probably warn you for spam.
FlashingLight #16
Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:30 AM
Suggestion: You said you HAVE to name it print and it has to be in root. No it doesn't. make a variable at the top called whatever you like (I'll call it prog for simplicity) and put "prog = shell.getRunningProgram()" where you have "shell.run("print")" replace it with "shell.run(prog) and it will work whatever the file name is and possibly whatever the directory is?

Also, another note. Don't post each time you release an update, the mods will probably warn you for spam.
That's what i call feedback! Thank you very much LDShadowLord, i wil make this in the next version
Neekow #17
Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:50 PM
Funny, just began my own GUI for printer today =)
And … we'r clearly going on differents ways ^^

here's my code (actually, nothing works (just done what i had in my head, too tired to find what isnt working), it's just visual atm ^^): http://pastebin.com/BLrQnTEg

PS: i'm french so (i'll say the same thing in 2 langages):

Si jamais tu veux:
- un coup de main (je suis pas codeur, je suis bidouilleur ^^)
- qu'on parle des pours et des contres sur comment faire le programme, ou comment mettre en page
dis moi ^^

(trans:
if ever you want:
- some help (i'm not coder ^^)
- speak about pros and cons about how do the prog
tell me)
FlashingLight #18
Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:16 AM
Your code is more advanced then mine, but it looks good. I can't test it now, i have too much work for school.