This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Engineer's profile picture

Topic Editing

Started by Engineer, 10 November 2013 - 09:01 AM
Engineer #1
Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:01 AM
Hi,

I lately noticed when you edit your post the bold text always come up like: 'edited by etc.'

This wasn't the case previously, it was an option.

I can see why this has been done, but I'm still curious why it has been changed, what's the reasoning behind it?

I know that it can be used for a few things, but I'm just curious for the actual reason.

I don't know, that's me I guess that I want to know why this happened.

Anyway, thanks for reading.
- engineer
Lyqyd #2
Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:12 AM
It's good for everyone to know when the content of a post has changed from its original state, especially if there have been replies made after the post was originally created. The option is now disabled for everyone except administrators.
awsmazinggenius #3
Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:35 PM
Also, I've noticed that when an admin edits your topic small text under the "Edited by awsmazinggenius" a reason that they entered. Can we do this, so we don't put "EDIT: Updated Information" at the bottom of our post, or is it admin-only, so you don't just see "Edited by Lyqyd" and have no idea why they edited your post.
Cranium #4
Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:15 PM
Most admins are going to post a reason as to why they edited your post, usually in a comment.
Lyqyd #5
Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:54 PM
There should be a box that allows you to enter a reason for editing if you use the full editor. It's usually to the right of the edit box.
theoriginalbit #6
Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:45 PM
There should be a box that allows you to enter a reason for editing if you use the full editor. It's usually to the right of the edit box.
The only post options that we get are
  • Enable emoticons?
  • Enable signature?
  • Follow this topic?
Edited on 12 November 2013 - 05:46 PM
Lyqyd #7
Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:54 PM
Well, that's unfortunate. That edit box must be grouped into the option to allow hiding the edit message entirely.
awsmazinggenius #8
Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:33 AM
Does this mean that we will get that permission in the future (I don't mean immediately) or is it a minor thing that will remain admin-only?
Lyqyd #9
Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:44 PM
The ability to suppress edit notifications will remain admin-only and by extension, the ability to set edit reasons will also.