This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
logsys's profile picture

Rom Floppy Disks, Md5, Zip/unzip And Screen Width Of Screen With More Redstone

Started by logsys, 17 November 2013 - 09:19 AM
logsys #1
Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:19 AM
Adding ROM Floppy Disks so other users cant change it, like for a OS bootloader or credit card ID with a MD5 to ensure that the credit card is valid. The Zip/Unzip would be useful to have your own dpkg or apt-get, but instead of Debian Packages, use Zip Packages(with/without password). The screen width would be useful so players can change their screen and just dont change in configs(Which is too much overpower and not easy to do)
Zudo #2
Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:38 AM
MD5 is implementable.

Packages are implimentable.

term.setScreenSize() …? Really?
Edited on 22 November 2013 - 12:45 PM
logsys #3
Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:59 AM
MD5 is implementable.

Packages are implimentable.

term.setScreenSize() …?
I didnt know term.setScreenSize()
MD5 is difficult and it could have an API already built but packages would be easier with ZIP so they dont go on pastebin and are lighter than other programs
EDIT:
I just tested term.setScreenSize() and it doesnt exist doesnt work
Edited on 17 November 2013 - 11:00 AM
Lyqyd #4
Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:26 PM
You can edit the screen size in the config.
logsys #5
Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:47 PM
You can edit the screen size in the config.
I already said it
Adding ROM Floppy Disks so other users cant change it, like for a OS bootloader or credit card ID with a MD5 to ensure that the credit card is valid. The Zip/Unzip would be useful to have your own dpkg or apt-get, but instead of Debian Packages, use Zip Packages(with/without password). The screen width would be useful so players can change their screen and just dont change in configs(Which is too much overpower and not easy to do)
but developers may want a big screen or a small one… like a simple computer with a couple of buttons or a big computer with LOTS of things there. Changing them in configs is painful and they have a bug where there is a texture break when its too big. Imagine yourself playing in an public server with the default size and you want to change it. Like your LyqydOS that im loving is borring at low resolution, you dont have space to anything… There are also a load of features that you may want to remove from configs/edit the config, just like rednet range being expansible by adding more ender pearls or redstone. Make they use fuel to make they transmit further away. Thats just a thing you all shall do.
Lyqyd #6
Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:20 PM
We shall do it? You'd better check yourself there. Config options are config options for a reason, and that's not going to change any time soon. Screen size is dictated by the server anyway, so there's nothing you could do about that, given the way the mod is coded. There are separate recipe editing mods available if you felt the need to adjust the recipes in ComputerCraft. It is highly unlikely that modems would ever consume fuel (computers don't use fuel, only turtles do).
apemanzilla #7
Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:04 AM
ROM floppy disks are growing on me. Maybe crafting a disk with a bar of iron, or something else, prevents any data from being written to it afterwards? Would allow for installer-only disks, or an un-editable (therefore virus-proof) boot disk (by virus-proof I mean a virus can't change the startup file maliciously)
logsys #8
Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:38 PM
We shall do it? You'd better check yourself there. Config options are config options for a reason, and that's not going to change any time soon. Screen size is dictated by the server anyway, so there's nothing you could do about that, given the way the mod is coded. There are separate recipe editing mods available if you felt the need to adjust the recipes in ComputerCraft. It is highly unlikely that modems would ever consume fuel (computers don't use fuel, only turtles do).
1. Sorry if I insulted the dev team by saying "You shall do it", that was never my intension and it will never be. You all did a good job. I'm not a native english, so I can say stuff that I must not do
2. All you are saying here is right, but the part of a unlimited modem that receives from everywhere and sends from everywhere, I think thats awesome for server managing, like intercept connections, and have a kind of a program that would be used all arround the world. I have a project in mind but it is not fully working because of this, I would have rednet repeaters everywhere(+ its easier to sniff connections by using that and not tracking the user)
3. Is that possible to do by making and mod with your API? if it is, please tell me.
ROM floppy disks are growing on me. Maybe crafting a disk with a bar of iron, or something else, prevents any data from being written to it afterwards? Would allow for installer-only disks, or an un-editable (therefore virus-proof) boot disk (by virus-proof I mean a virus can't change the startup file maliciously)
I would add right now Encrypted Files, that could run but not being edited(therefore, hackers may also get access(illegally) to disable it, there would be no fun!).
Zudo #9
Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:45 PM
I just tested term.setScreenSize() and it doesnt exist doesnt work

I never said it existed, I must have phrased that wrong (I was tired XD)
Agoldfish #10
Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:44 PM
Adding ROM Floppy Disks so other users cant change it.
Not a bad idea.
jay5476 #11
Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:40 PM
Not a bad idea.
The developers will say its called 'ROM' for a reason but maybe making a computer in creative mode tab uncraftable but have acsess to change rom
logsys #12
Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:20 AM
Not a bad idea.
The developers will say its called 'ROM' for a reason but maybe making a computer in creative mode tab uncraftable but have acsess to change rom
ROM is available to the hole computercraft system, you can change it locally, as screen too.