This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Neekow's profile picture

Printer.getinkcolor()

Started by Neekow, 18 November 2013 - 04:37 PM
Neekow #1
Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:37 PM
I'm sorry if that was already asked, didn't see any post for that.

So yeah, as the title said, complete the printer API. Think it will be fine without giving a non-sence to CC =)

return 1,2,4,8,etc … ?
awsmazinggenius #2
Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:02 PM
I see a purpose for this in my programs, to detect what color of ink is in a turtle with turtle.drop() - I support this.
Zudo #3
Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:04 PM
Support. This is a good idea.
Engineer #4
Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:49 PM
Support. This is a good idea.
why? Really, give at the very least an argument!

Err.. I think its a good idea, because you obviously then can detect colors. But there is a problem, why would you even need to detect to? I mean, there is only one type of color in the printer anyway!
theoriginalbit #5
Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:07 PM
But there is a problem, why would you even need to detect to? I mean, there is only one type of color in the printer anyway!
It would be nice to know on a computer reboot if you need to finish the page and waste the ink so that you can print in the correct colour, or if the correct colour is already loaded into the printer.
Neekow #6
Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:04 PM
I'll answer to every one ^^

- only one color? Try with other dyes … You can use all 16 colors.
- I think know the state of the printer can be coded by being tricky … If a page was being writed when the computer stopped, you can't open a new page, something like "if printer.newPage() == false then" will begin a new page if none were in? (really really hard to find the right times and syntax in this sentence). If false returned, finish your print, if true … Next step?

And, a new argument: as for Redstone in vanilla minecraft, I don't like when everything is given … But when it's impossible to do, it's not fun either. This idea is more like giving a new tool instead giving the whole things =)

PS: actually, I found a way to sort ink/dyes with the miscperipherals' interactive sorter ;)/>/>. + a huge avantage as you can drop in chest, you can have the 16 colors + paper … Turtles can only carry 16 items =(
Edited on 30 November 2013 - 08:07 PM