This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
D3matt's profile picture

Is it just me or is doing anything on a CC server pointless?

Started by D3matt, 30 November 2013 - 07:58 PM
D3matt #1
Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:58 PM
Every time I start up playing on a CC server, it dies in no time at all. There are no good CC servers around, because they all die shortly after they get popular.
Edited on 30 November 2013 - 08:00 PM
MudkipTheEpic #2
Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:30 PM
Sometimes, when a server shuts down, it was because of circumstances out of their control. Trust me, I know.

That being said, an answer to your title would be no. Everything on a CC server is NOT pointless. I have started and developed a lot of programs on servers like OSRunner and StarDial+. The dream goal for a creative ComputerCraft server, in my opinion, is to provide a coding environment to collaborate in without many distractions or much frustration. Too many perverts and immature people ruin the fun.

While everything on CC servers are definitely not pointless, servers DO shut down eventually, as they are neither perfect or everlasting.
D3matt #3
Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:56 PM
Unfortunately it seems by the time I build even a relatively simple building and get everything set up how I want, the server is already on its way out. GAPS was probably the longest running and best by far, but eventually even that died off.

I could host one myself but I don't think I have the work ethic to properly maintain one, even though I have plenty of time. Nor would I feel confident enough in my ability to provide secure remote administrative access to let anybody else help me, since I failed to get FTP working through my router.
Edited on 30 November 2013 - 11:00 PM
Mackan90096 #4
Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:05 PM
After mudkips server shut down, I opened a cc server with mudpack.. I'd have it running now if I could find and download it..
MudkipTheEpic #5
Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:26 PM
After mudkips server shut down, I opened a cc server with mudpack.. I'd have it running now if I could find and download it..

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/mudkippack

???
Zambonie #6
Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

http://www.technicpa...ails/mudkippack

???

Mack had to re-install windows. After that he lost everything.
Engineer #7
Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:40 AM
Mack had to re-install windows. After that he lost everything.
Is that really the point of this point, your just 10 miles away from the point of the topic. Oh, and you are crawling those miles, just so you know how long it takes to get back here.
oeed #8
Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:57 PM
What about a non-CC specific server, for example Tekkit (latest) or FTB? Maybe you could even sell your programs to other people for gold, etc.
D3matt #9
Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:18 PM
FTB and Tekkit have computercraft now?
oeed #10
Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:45 PM
FTB and Tekkit have computercraft now?

They have for ages, unless its changed suddenly you may want to double check. Make sure you're not using Tekkit classic because thats still using 1.3 for some bizarre reason.
D3matt #11
Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:40 PM
Ah, right, I just thought it wasn't in because every server disabled it. Are there good servers that allow CC now?
Edited on 03 December 2013 - 11:45 AM
Timendainum #12
Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:35 PM
Tekkit for sure has CC. I'm using Tekkit.

Tekkit Classic is an old outdated modpack with older mods that are no longer being updated, hence the old versions. The new Tekkit is the current modpack and is kept as current as possible.