This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Kaikaku's profile picture

Build 16+x Mob Heads

Started by Kaikaku, 16 December 2013 - 01:38 PM
Kaikaku #1
Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:38 PM
buildHead
http://youtu.be/1nelfpo9g-Q

buildHead is a turtle program that allows you to build more than 16 different mob heads.
All are 8x8 and can be build vertically or horizontally.
Each build mode uses randomly one of two building patterns (so it's less boring to watch ;)/>).

You can run it with or without parameters.
w/o: Some info screens explain how to use the program and where to put which materials (wool)
The program will check if you put the right amount in the right slots.
w/ : Provide two parameters [v/h for vertical or horizontal] [head number].
In this case you have to put in the required materials without help.
Wool is sorted for all heads by its ID, so you know where to put which color.

Here is the pastebin: http://pastebin.com/HP3AW3sd
Enjoy!
Edited on 16 December 2013 - 01:53 PM
biggest yikes #2
Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:00 PM
Definitely great.
unobtanium #3
Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:23 AM
That's quite entertaining :D/>
Would it be possible to download little files with information in them to let the turtle draw e.g. my minecraft skin head or someone else?

Edit: Wouldnt it have been easier if you used two dimensional arrays? :P/>
Edited on 17 December 2013 - 04:29 AM
oeed #4
Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:32 AM
Looks very nice. As UNOBTANIUM said, however, it would be even cooler if you could make your own skin with it. There's some web service that can get the colours of each pixel, so it shouldn't be too hard, I'm not sure what it was called though.
Bomb Bloke #5
Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:06 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think there are enough block colours to accurately handle many custom skins.

Hopefully I am. Automatic statues of entire player models would be rather cool.
unobtanium #6
Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:17 AM
I wasnt accually think about 3D models. There exist other programs allready.
The program was ment to draw the skin heads of the mobs into the world and i would just extend the program so you can import player skin heads as well.
Dont know how fancy or simple it would be it would be fairly cool.
Kaikaku #7
Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:49 PM
Thanks for your positive feedback :)/>

@UNOBTANIUM:
Yes, 2 dim arrays would have been easier, especially for error fixing ;)/> It's a mixture of two aproaches I'm using atm…

@skin idea:
Hm, that would be really great. I'll think this over a bit. After a solution for the face the body is just more work.
The color matching will be a problem, especially to get in some contrast. As I prepared the models I had do quite some manual adjustments and you lose many details.
If you have a look on head 17 (notch) and 18 (Steve), you see that 16 colors in the inventory is not much. An idea would be, to allow all vanilla blocks, hm.

I guess what I'll implement as a first step, are customized heads as a parameter. Something like: buildHead v 162738a623b728…98abcdef
unobtanium #8
Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:53 AM
An second turtle behind the other turtle could work as a storage unit for more blocks.
Might need a lot of rework of some code but would be pretty cool :D/>
awsmazinggenius #9
Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:37 PM
Thanks for your positive feedback :)/>

@UNOBTANIUM:
Yes, 2 dim arrays would have been easier, especially for error fixing ;)/> It's a mixture of two aproaches I'm using atm…

@skin idea:
Hm, that would be really great. I'll think this over a bit. After a solution for the face the body is just more work.
The color matching will be a problem, especially to get in some contrast. As I prepared the models I had do quite some manual adjustments and you lose many details.
If you have a look on head 17 (notch) and 18 (Steve), you see that 16 colors in the inventory is not much. An idea would be, to allow all vanilla blocks, hm.

I guess what I'll implement as a first step, are customized heads as a parameter. Something like: buildHead v 162738a623b728…98abcdef
Maybe just add support for 8x8 .nfp (Paint) files. You can only paint in the 16 wool colors, and I saw another program that downloads skins as paint files. This would be cool as then I would do the other 16 colors of sheep as well. I want to have something like this:
Spoiler
with all 16 colors of sheep.

I do want to see this as a treasure disk as well :)/>