This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
awsmazinggenius's profile picture

Who is exited for the new CC 1.6 features?

Started by awsmazinggenius, 30 December 2013 - 11:50 AM
awsmazinggenius #1
Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:50 PM
Hi all,
If you have been looking at Dan's Twitter recently, you will see some of the new programs and features that will be in CC 1.6.

(Supposedly, as I can tell) Rednet Repeaters, Built-In
Built-In Mail Program
Built-In Chat Program
Rednet "Channel" Name Protocol
Finally Built-In Peripheral Finder

I think these new features, while could be implemented in Lua, will make it easier for new programmers to start using ComputerCraft better. While I am not going to write a whole paragraph here, I'd like to see the community's thoughts, good or bad. Remember; a) there is probably still some unannounced stuff coming, and B)/> if you do absolutely hate these features, please respond in a respectful manner.

P.S: Mods, I searched, if this topic already exists, please delete this one.
Lyqyd #2
Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:26 PM
I'll have to see what the rednet message forwarding looks like. I may end up abandoning LyqydNet since it will be essentially duplicitous.

The command line is also apparently getting some love, with quotes being respected in commands and a function call to expand globs, which the built-in programs like cp, mv, etc. are going to take advantage of. I'm a bit excited about that one!
gollark8 #3
Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:17 PM
I'm excited for the mail,chat and repeater programs since i'm rubbish at networking code.
And this 1.6 release MIGHT be for 1.7,I've started seeing some 1.7 forge builds recently.
And the find peripheral function is going to be useful for my factory monitoring programs.
awsmazinggenius #4
Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:33 PM
FINALLY! Forge for 1.7! I hope to see CC updating, then I can continue work on awsmazinggenius's Peripherals. (Planned: Another XP Peripheral, a Trading (villagers) peripheral, and a peripheral for getting a player skin - I have some haxing to do.)

I'd love to see mods finally come for 1.7. It's been a long wait, and lots of work for the Forge and MCP team, as well as the nodders that will have to tweak their mods). I think it will be interesting to see what Biomes O' Plenty does with this update, as well.

On topic: I saw the quotes thing on Dan's twitter, but I couldn't figure out what it meant or why it was important, so I ignored it. I'm going to love the new names and rednet thingy, as I've been making a chat program with things such as colour names, private messages, whitelisted channels, etc. and support for joining real IRC channels. (Yes, you heard me. However, currently I can only get it to work for EsperNet. If it doesn't work for other networks, I might have to abandon it, which would be unfortunate.) The named networks would save me the huge hassle of keeping a constantly updated list of users on the channel at the same time as listening for communications and sending info to clients, and unexpected "power outages" (broken computer, Ctrl+S/R). I also like the idea of the peripheral search being built-in. I am looking forward to using CC 1.6 a lot in 1.7 as well, having a Turtle that mines out a Mesa biome.
gollark8 #5
Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:53 PM
FINALLY! Forge for 1.7! I hope to see CC updating, then I can continue work on awsmazinggenius's Peripherals. (Planned: Another XP Peripheral, a Trading (villagers) peripheral, and a peripheral for getting a player skin - I have some haxing to do.)

I'd love to see mods finally come for 1.7. It's been a long wait, and lots of work for the Forge and MCP team, as well as the nodders that will have to tweak their mods). I think it will be interesting to see what Biomes O' Plenty does with this update, as well.

On topic: I saw the quotes thing on Dan's twitter, but I couldn't figure out what it meant or why it was important, so I ignored it. I'm going to love the new names and rednet thingy, as I've been making a chat program with things such as colour names, private messages, whitelisted channels, etc. and support for joining real IRC channels. (Yes, you heard me. However, currently I can only get it to work for EsperNet. If it doesn't work for other networks, I might have to abandon it, which would be unfortunate.) The named networks would save me the huge hassle of keeping a constantly updated list of users on the channel at the same time as listening for communications and sending info to clients, and unexpected "power outages" (broken computer, Ctrl+S/R). I also like the idea of the peripheral search being built-in. I am looking forward to using CC 1.6 a lot in 1.7 as well, having a Turtle that mines out a Mesa biome.

I think espernet is the only one working as other networks need are you a human verification and stuff like that.

I dont really get how the quotes thing is needed either.
And if private messages and whitelisted channels are actually private and whitelisted then yay,finally my IC2 wireless Nuclear Reactor controller will be secure.Since I do not want a friend playing jokes like turning it on when the heat vents/coolant cells/condensators/neutron reflectors need changing.The last time that happened it blew up a large hole in my reactor area.
Edited on 30 December 2013 - 01:58 PM
Bomb Bloke #6
Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:48 PM
Say you have a file called "my file". You want to delete that file from the basic prompt.

Typing rm my file doesn't work, because the rm command hence gets passed two arguments, and tries to remove a file called "my".

Normally quotes would get you around this - you'd type rm "my file" - but CC's command prompt ignores the quotes and still passes "my and file" as two separate arguements.

Hence it's impossible to manipulate such files via ComputerCraft short of actually coding something to work around the issue (eg by calling fs.delete() directly). You can probably see other instances where you'd want to be able to pass parameters to scripts that involve spaces.

Many of these other additions make me want to throw my hands up in the air and yell "well why not throw in all the other enhancement requests too?!". I guess Dan really wants people using CC networking in the next build - for some reason. Anyone happen to know what that is? It's got me scratching my head. I'd rather see improvements people can't already code themselves, like a repeater that doesn't clog up the computers directory in the world folder.

Re the 1.7 thing: Hooray. The clock's ticking for all us modpack users to abandon our worlds again. Bear in mind though, that a lot of people won't upgrade to CC 1.6 if doing so is the requirement (heck, some people are still using builds that're years old due to lack of backwards compatibility), hence it'll be a long time before LyqydNet and the like becomes redundant for everyone if that's going to be the case.

Well done to the Forge guys, anyway, and any work on CC is appreciated too. :)/>
Edited on 30 December 2013 - 03:52 PM
Engineer #7
Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:12 PM

Forge is out, though MCP isnt. So that way we cant yet have a proper build of any mod without the developer doing lots and lots, did I already mention lots?, research on what methods to use. And not to mention, documentation is lacking.

There needs to be done a lot of things before forge has a proper build.
Lyqyd #8
Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:36 PM
I believe Forge is building 1.7 stuff against a private beta of MCP for 1.7.
Zambonie #9
Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:32 PM
Forge 1.7 Has a heck lot of bugs. My friend got around 800 errors when updating his mod to 1.7. I would wait for a stable build.
Though, this new update seems awesome. Im really looking toward it.
awsmazinggenius #10
Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:35 PM
I just assumed MCP was out if Forge was out (because Forge uses MCP). Silly me :P/>.
And yes, I understand - coding takes time. I'm just exited :)/>

EDIT: Damn Ninja (Looking at Troll.)
Edited on 30 December 2013 - 05:36 PM
distantcam #11
Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:52 PM
From my discussions with Dan200 the new networking features are not secure, so they can still be intercepted wirelessly.

Process multitasking *new*

Ok this has me excited.
awsmazinggenius #12
Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:31 PM
Awesome! Nice to see that built-in - I made a program that made two other programs run simultaneously (#computercraft IRC Monitor running on a first monitor, and my personal whiteboard program (I was helping a guy out with code) on a second). It was such a pain to get it to work - the Shell API doesn't seem to like you using shell.run in coroutines to simultaneously run stuff - so I'd love to have this program, if only to make it built in for new programmers.
Anavrins #13
Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:21 AM
Well, I received my advanced wireless mining turtle from Shapeways the other day, and I've noticed something on it…

The modem is colored in yellow,
I call advanced modems for 1.6 release :V
Edited on 31 December 2013 - 03:07 PM
nutcase84 #14
Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:52 PM
Looks AWESOME! Can't wait!
awsmazinggenius #15
Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:26 PM
I saw that on the Shapeways store so I refrained from buying it.

But…Advanced Modems…I'm thinking now…
distantcam #16
Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:29 AM
Windowing System

Yeah, I'm extremely excited now.
Anavrins #17
Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:41 AM
Windowing System

That's pretty nice, I've made an API very similar to this a while ago though, but it's nice to see it implemented by default in CC.
Edited on 01 January 2014 - 10:43 AM
Wojbie #18
Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:15 PM
Windowing System

~~Trows a lot of code out the window.~~

Call me exited now.
Edited on 01 January 2014 - 01:15 PM
awsmazinggenius #19
Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:42 PM
I am exited for the window system now……..
Symmetryc #20
Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:48 PM
Hmm, I hope people will start to actually use term.getSize from now on…
M4sh3dP0t4t03 #21
Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:43 PM
I was working on something similar to the windowing system. Lots of wasted time, but also lots of bugs I don't have to fix anymore :D/>.
oeed #22
Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:36 PM
I'll have to see how it works, but I'm not too impressed with the multitasking. If it's what I think it'll be like it will make OSes look rather silly, not to mention the fact I've spent the last 2 months working on something very similar…

It just feels to me that theres lots of programs that already doing lots of these things, I just feel that the programs should be made by the community and the developers focus on core APIs that we can't make.
Symmetryc #23
Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:51 PM
I'll have to see how it works, but I'm not too impressed with the multitasking. If it's what I think it'll be like it will make OSes look rather silly, not to mention the fact I've spent the last 2 months working on something very similar…

It just feels to me that theres lots of programs that already doing lots of these things, I just feel that the programs should be made by the community and the developers focus on core APIs that we can't make.
<offtopic>What is Pik?</offtopic>
The multitasking system seems interesting, I just hope that we can still use the full screen and the shell doesn't just box us into one area.
oeed #24
Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:10 PM
The multitasking system seems interesting, I just hope that we can still use the full screen and the shell doesn't just box us into one area.

Pik's my attempt at an image editor, it's heavily inspired by Photoshop. The main reason for it is due to the fact I find NPaintPro rather annoying and counter-intuitive to use, especially for someone who's used to image editors such as Photoshop and, dare I say it, MS Paint. It's heavily GUI based and supports stuff such as multiple layers. It'll first be available with OneOS when it comes out (~1 month from now) and then standalone 1 week from then. The name's probably temporary though.

Yea, I suppose the main thing would be to make sure we can still use the entire screen. I was a but unsure of how it worked based on those screenshots.
Symmetryc #25
Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

Pik's my attempt at an image editor, it's heavily inspired by Photoshop. The main reason for it is due to the fact I find NPaintPro rather annoying and counter-intuitive to use, especially for someone who's used to image editors such as Photoshop and, dare I say it, MS Paint. It's heavily GUI based and supports stuff such as multiple layers. It'll first be available with OneOS when it comes out (~1 month from now) and then standalone 1 week from then. The name's probably temporary though.

Yea, I suppose the main thing would be to make sure we can still use the entire screen. I was a but unsure of how it worked based on those screenshots.
Dang, that looks really good! If you want to rename it try using something artsy like "Sketch", "Doodle", "Sculpt", "Style", "Mural", etc. Looking forward to it :)/>
awsmazinggenius #26
Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:38 AM
[off topic] Pik looks great! I was making an image editor for awsmazingOS, but this looks better. One note though, for PearOS you released it under a Creative Commons license. Those aren't recommended for code. http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Can_I_apply_a_Creative_Commons_license_to_software.3F ) [/off topic]
Yeah, programs should really start using term.getSize(). It should be convention. (It already is, but noobs don't do it)
Shnupbups #27
Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:52 AM
List of Confirmed Features:

- Improved Rednet API
  • Ability to send between computers only connected via other computers
  • Rednet repeaters
  • Can send to itself
- Chat Program
  • Channels
  • Names
  • Automatic time-outs
- Improved paint program
  • '*' character can be used to copy/move etc. everything at once
  • "" in shell can be used to reference folders where files would usually be
- Improved textutils.serialize()
  • Also, textutils.serialise() for standard English speakers
- Built in mail program
  • Mail servers
  • Mail addresses
  • Replying, Forwarding, Deleting
- Multitasking
  • Different processes/coroutines
  • Works on Advanced Turtles too
- Window API
  • For multitasking system, but available for all
- Redstone Programs merged into one

if I missed anything, let me know!
Edited on 08 January 2014 - 09:26 PM
oeed #28
Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:49 AM
[off topic] Pik looks great! I was making an image editor for awsmazingOS, but this looks better. One note though, for PearOS you released it under a Creative Commons license. Those aren't recommended for code. http://wiki.creative..._to_software.3F ) [/off topic]
Yeah, programs should really start using term.getSize(). It should be convention. (It already is, but noobs don't do it)

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that license thing. I'll look in to it. The main issue I've found is most of the licenses I've found seem to be completely commercial or completely open source, I'm looking for something in the middle. I'm sure they exist, I'll just have to look around I guess.
dan200 #29
Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

I've thought of this: The taskbar at the top is *only* displayed once there are two or more tasks running. If all your startup script does is launch into your custom shell with its own task handling, you'll never see it. Context sensitive UI ftw.
gollark8 #30
Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:37 PM
I'm currently wondering if the repeaters will have functions like not sending the same message in loops,logging sent messages,advanced routing and stuff like that.
If they do,I'll probably abandon my networking API.
I wonder why dan200 wants us to build network stuff so much.
Symmetryc #31
Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

I've thought of this: The taskbar at the top is *only* displayed once there are two or more tasks running. If all your startup script does is launch into your custom shell with its own task handling, you'll never see it. Context sensitive UI ftw.
Cool :)/>. Btw, you might want to make a function that simply hides the toolbar and an event that fires once the toolbar becomes visible/invisible. Thanks!
oeed #32
Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:12 PM
Btw, you might want to make a function that simply hides the toolbar and an event that fires once the toolbar becomes visible/invisible. Thanks!
Agreed.
deleted #33
Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:24 PM
Yeah ive been checking on dan's twitter, a lot of the stuff looks really good. Cant wait for the new CC Update.
awsmazinggenius #34
Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:26 PM
[off topic] Dan replied to my topic?!? [/off topic]
I am also wondering why he wants us to use CC networking. And, I do think that we should be able to hide/show the toolbar, but if you need an event, you can modify the function to queue an event yourself if you need that functionality.
Symmetryc #35
Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:52 PM
[off topic] Dan replied to my topic?!? [/off topic]
I am also wondering why he wants us to use CC networking. And, I do think that we should be able to hide/show the toolbar, but if you need an event, you can modify the function to queue an event yourself if you need that functionality.
Yeah, but if it isn't in Vanilla CC, then no other program but yours would actually listen to said event…
D3matt #36
Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:52 PM
I can't help but feel like most of this is exactly the kind of stuff that gets viciously attacked and sworn off in the suggestions forum by both staff and users. Why the sudden change of heart?
Bomb Bloke #37
Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:58 PM
That very much sums up my own train of thought.
oeed #38
Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:05 PM
I can't help but feel like most of this is exactly the kind of stuff that gets viciously attacked and sworn off in the suggestions forum by both staff and users. Why the sudden change of heart?
Yes, it does seem odd. I can understand the need for a program which demonstrates the new networking features. But I still don't get the windowing and multitasking stuff.
D3matt #39
Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:08 PM
Yes, it does seem odd. I can understand the need for a program which demonstrates the new networking features. But I still don't get the windowing and multitasking stuff.
Even the new networking features are, as far as I can tell, just included APIs the likes of which have been done multiple times already.
lieudusty #40
Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Maybe since OpenComputers came out, dan200 wanted to make the mod have more features to make it more attractive.
oeed #41
Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

Maybe since OpenComputers came out, dan200 wanted to make the mod have more features to make it more attractive.

Hmmm, I didn't think about that.

However, I think you'll find that the one of the reasons why the new features are all Lua and not Java is dan200 apparently did a lot of restricting which would have taken up most of the time between now and last update. As Lua programs and APIs are probably quicker and easier to make than Java side things he may have decided to make a few things in Lua so there were some new visible features.

Thats my guess anyway.
D3matt #42
Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Can these really be called features? :/
theoriginalbit #43
Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:53 PM
I don't think so. You're definitely right with your original statement. The change of heart has definitely come from the rival mod. I'm disappointed in these new "features".
awsmazinggenius #44
Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:17 PM
Yeah, now that there is a competing mod Dan may be thinking we need more features.
theoriginalbit #45
Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:19 PM
Based off the logic of the Suggestions forum, Lua-side implementations of things don't count as features, they count as enhancements. I'd much prefer to see features over enhancements.
Bomb Bloke #46
Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:20 PM
I'm clinging on to hope that OpenComputers has nothing to do with it. But still, there has to be some underlying plan to it all.
Edited on 03 January 2014 - 08:20 PM
Symmetryc #47
Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:20 PM
The change of heart has definitely come from the rival mod
I can't help but think that this is not the case as CC has a very large user base already while OpenComputer's small user base primarily consists of CC users dabbling with the likes of another computer mod.

Edit: 3 replies within 2 minutes, dang!
Edited on 03 January 2014 - 08:21 PM
Kingdaro #48
Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:39 PM
Based off the logic of the Suggestions forum, Lua-side implementations of things don't count as features, they count as enhancements. I'd much prefer to see features over enhancements.
That's one way of putting it, but are "enhancements" really that much of a bad thing? It seems that the stickies in the Suggestions subforum has sort of reinforced the idea that enhancements are evil, and that only the bare minimum is necessary. If this were true, we wouldn't have had the textutils API, the parallel API, or the GPS api.

The reason I made CraftBang was because I saw and experienced the need for simple multitasking so I didn't have to fudge it into my programs just to have access to a shell while a server or something else ran in the background. I'm glad that dan saw this need, among others, and acted upon it, because it's a common task/activity among CC users, and is a waste of time to have to implement in every program.

In fact, at this point, I wouldn't mind CC having an ingame package manager / browser either, seeing as a lot of CC users might not frequent or even know about the forums and the many programs posted here. I've also mentioned at some point how fs.read(), fs.write(), and fs.append() functions would be nice, since file reading/writing is a very common operation and having to type three lines every time is a bit annoying, though I feel that's pushing it.

Bottom line, there has to be a definite line as to what an "enhancement" actually is, and at this point, obviously "what isn't already implemented that can't be made using the absolute bare minimum" isn't good enough.
distantcam #49
Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:43 PM
I have to agree that while these enhancements are pretty cool to be built in, it would also be nice to see some features that can only be added to the Java side.

I'm disappointed that the HTTP API hasn't been fixed. If the HTTP API was capable of working with the oauth apis that are out there (twitter, facebook, instagram, dropbox, github, many many more) that would be a killer feature. Unfortunately it's the sort of thing that can only be done in the mod, not in Lua.
theoriginalbit #50
Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:45 PM
I've also mentioned at some point how fs.read(), fs.write(), and fs.append() functions would be nice, since file reading/writing is a very common operation and having to type three lines every time is a bit annoying, though I feel that's pushing it.
See again, these are not Lua-side, these are Java-side, these would be perfectly good things to add, as well as other things like fs.seek and the likes, but instead he's going down a path of making several community programs obsolete.

distantcam also brought up a valid point, where's our better HTTP api, we were told that was close to being done 1 year ago, so where is it? what about persistence, that has been "in the works" since the start of the mod. there's much better things that could be made rather than simple Lua-side programs.
Lyqyd #51
Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:12 AM
For clarity, the prohibition on "Enhancement" suggestions is more meant to disallow this sort of suggestion rather than this variety. It's not meant to discourage ALL suggestions of changes to the Lua, just the dumb/unnecessary/trivial ones.

The things not to suggest list is also not a list of things that won't be being added. That's just the list of things that you'd be wasting your time to try to suggest, since they're either very commonly suggested or otherwise a waste of the developers' time.
awsmazinggenius #52
Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:37 AM
Yeah, I would just love a better HTTP API so that you don't have to go through self-hosted scripts. I'd also like to be able to link to a real website to authenticate from the CC Prompt. (Example: term.writeLink("Click Here", "http://some-website.com/") would link to the site like regular chat links (the normal "Do you want to click this link" text))

I am kind of annoyed, personally, that we don't have these new features instead of enhancements. I also wonder, why such a big emphasis on CC networking? Although I am exited to see some of these features being built in, I would rather see things that can only be added Java side.
Kingdaro #53
Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:21 AM
but instead he's going down a path of making several community programs obsolete.
Solution:
at this point, I wouldn't mind CC having an ingame package manager / browser either,
:lol:/>
gollark8 #54
Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:01 AM
but instead he's going down a path of making several community programs obsolete.
Solution:
at this point, I wouldn't mind CC having an ingame package manager / browser either,
:lol:/>/>/>/>
There are loads of those already.
It'a just slightly annoying that we got the rednet expansion news right after I had got a not-too-buggy version of my networking API done.
Edited on 04 January 2014 - 02:33 AM
oeed #55
Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:32 AM
Solution:
:lol:/>/>

I really need to get back to the CC App Store…
awsmazinggenius #56
Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:45 PM
The problem with these is that they are not used too widely as they are not built in, so newbies don't necessarily see them.
ElvishJerricco #57
Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:51 PM
Background tasks are most definitely a welcome addition. There was no reliable way of creating them before without overriding the top level coroutine and manually restarting the shell, which also killed the rednet routine.

Networking is nice. It's something that may not be needed like backgrounding, but it's very helpful to the hoards of people who want networking but don't want to write a networking API.

The same logic applies for the windowing API. They both fit just fine, even though they might not be necessary.

However mail and chat should probably be treasure discs.

I just hope that with these new additions, the moderators will stop locking every thread that suggests something the users could program themselves. Suggestion threads are locked far too often for reasons outside of being a bad suggestion.

All in all, the level of disappointment in this thread disappoints me. These are good features that I welcome. I'm glad Dan's clearly having fun doing some cool new code. The downsides seem to be no more than the artificial claim that the features aren't necessary. Before they were added, colored computers and a paint program and mouse support and remote peripherals were all denied suggestions for quite a while because they weren't deemed necessary.
Edited on 04 January 2014 - 12:57 PM
Lyqyd #58
Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:08 PM
I just hope that with these new additions, the moderators will stop locking every thread that suggests something the users could program themselves. Suggestion threads are locked far too often for reasons outside of being a bad suggestion.

For clarity, the prohibition on "Enhancement" suggestions is more meant to disallow this sort of suggestion rather than this variety. It's not meant to discourage ALL suggestions of changes to the Lua, just the dumb/unnecessary/trivial ones.

The things not to suggest list is also not a list of things that won't be being added. That's just the list of things that you'd be wasting your time to try to suggest, since they're either very commonly suggested or otherwise a waste of the developers' time.
awsmazinggenius #59
Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:01 PM
The "level of dissapointment" you speak of is likely people wanting things that can only been done Java side, rather then things users can code themselves. As Lyqyd said, the forum moderators don't want to block good suggestions that can be self-programmed, but ones that are stupid and that the average Lua user should know.

Personally, while I like all the new networking features and all, I would really love some things that we can't implement ourselves, such as a better HTTP API, clickable links in the terminal (to real websites, not one see can make with a few lines of code) and persistence.

I do see why new users to ComputerCraft would like to see these features, but these things are self-implementable. Also, there already is a chat program on a treasure disk, and mail programs are easily made. I would prefer to see things that can only be done in Java, though I am exited for things like windowing and multiple processes.
M4sh3dP0t4t03 #60
Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:41 AM
Looks like we finally get portable computers :D/> https://twitter.com/DanTwoHundred/status/420170480692518912
GravityScore #61
Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:54 AM
clickable links in the terminal (to real websites, not one see can make with a few lines of code) and persistence.

I actually suggested this a while ago, and Cloudy said it probably wouldn't happen. So I wouldn't get your hopes up for it.

I, for one, want the ability to create TCP and UDP sockets (again, Java side feature). It would be a problem when chunks unload, but I don't see a problem in the computer simply dropping the connection.The OpenComputer's developer is looking into implementing this.

As for enhancements, I'd like the string highlighting bug in the edit program to be fixed My bad, didn't realise this was already fixed :P/>
Edited on 07 January 2014 - 12:15 AM
awsmazinggenius #62
Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:20 PM
Oh, you did suggest this already? Guess I didn't see it :(/>. Anyways, I can see use for it.

Dan merged the redstone programs into one program. Guess that it isn't that big of a deal, though.

EDIT: Kingdaro, can't you write your own global fs.read?

function fs.read(file)
  if type(file) ~= "string" then error("Arg must be a string.") end
  local f = fs.open(file)
  local rtn = f.readAll()
  f.close()
  return rtn
end
Edited on 07 January 2014 - 01:25 PM
Kingdaro #63
Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:13 PM
Oh, you did suggest this already? Guess I didn't see it :(/>/>. Anyways, I can see use for it.

Dan merged the redstone programs into one program. Guess that it isn't that big of a deal, though.
I think the redstone functionality merge is really nice. Sort of does the same thing aptitude did for apt.

EDIT: Kingdaro, can't you write your own global fs.read?

function fs.read(file)
  if type(file) ~= "string" then error("Arg must be a string.") end
  local f = fs.open(file)
  local rtn = f.readAll()
  f.close()
  return rtn
end
That's not the point. Normally it takes three lines to read, write, or do anything with a file. In a program, you'll usually just be loading and saving one thing, your program's configuration. That's usually six lines total. Implementing a function like that into a program (even simplified without argument checks) would create approx 10 to 14 lines simply for doing one reading or writing operation, which is of course counter productive. (Here I measure lines in the sensible standard of using line breaks in programs, not accounting for the entire program being on one line because that's stupid.)

Though there are some programs that would benefit from that technique and would require less typing, and in this case, sure it's easy enough for me and everyone else to do it on their own, but you have to do it every time you want to make a program. You could also put it in a startup file, but then you have to copy it to all of your other computers. You could write the function in computercraft's base startup file, but you still need to copy the function into your program anyway if you want to distribute it.

As I said before, it's easy enough for someone to create their own fs.read/write/append implementations. If the devs copied that code into the fs API, nobody would ever have to make their own implementation/replacement for something so simple that's been made so verbose. Not to mention, if it were implemented in the Java code itself, it'd probably be hella faster.

This, again, goes with my principle that mods like this should cater towards both people who want to learn, and people who want to be productive with their mod. The latter is almost always slowed down by things like this and others that would take little time to remedy.
Shnupbups #64
Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:12 PM
ATTENTION! turtle.equip and Pocket Computers! I REPEAT! turtle.equip and Pocket Computers! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!
oeed #65
Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:23 PM
ATTENTION! turtle.equip and Pocket Computers! I REPEAT! turtle.equip and Pocket Computers! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!
I know right, awesoooome!

Dan said PDAs only took him a day… and we've been waiting all this time. Although, I suppose it was due to the refactoring. Not that I'm complaining.

Apparently it could come a soon as tomorrow!
awsmazinggenius #66
Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:32 PM
I'm really wondering what Pocket PC's will be like (sorta like OpenP remotes?). And if there will be a war on what phone they were made to resemble. (ex: It's iPhone! No, it's Android! Don't you guys realize that it's BlackBerry?!?)
Symmetryc #67
Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:45 PM
It was stated on IRC that this could come as soon as tomorrow, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I believe dan200 also said that it would come sometime before the end of next week at the latest, but I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: The above post is concerning the beta release, not the actual one.
Edited on 23 January 2014 - 07:46 PM
Shadow_Phenyx #68
Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:10 PM
PDAs with auto access codes to open my doors for me, I LOVE IT.
oeed #69
Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:59 PM
It was stated on IRC that this could come as soon as tomorrow, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I believe dan200 also said that it would come sometime before the end of next week at the latest, but I'm not 100% sure.

Well, that's a only a few days though.
Symmetryc #70
Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

The end of next week ;)/>
awsmazinggenius #71
Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:02 AM
I'm going to do the beta and see how it goes for the amount of bugs with all the changes that Dan made.
oeed #72
Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

The end of next week ;)/>
*facepalm* Damn it!

I'm going to do the beta and see how it goes for the amount of bugs with all the changes that Dan made.
Yea, as Symmetryc suggested to me, I'll be testing my OS on 1.6 and maybe adding a few features.
6677 #73
Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:26 PM
Pocket computers did I hear….

Reading the PDA tweets, my god they are looking awesome.
robhol #74
Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:46 PM
Yeah, now that there is a competing mod Dan may be thinking we need more features.

That's actually funny. It doesn't necessarily mean OC's to "blame", but it could just prove again that a bit of friendly competition's healthy. :)/>
gollark8 #75
Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:55 PM
We're getting a 1.6 WIP beta soon!!!
awsmazinggenius #76
Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:56 PM
I know. Exciting, right?
TechMasterGeneral #77
Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:00 PM
I'm stoked to get the new update… its gonna be awesome!
Engineer_Nalfar #78
Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:49 AM
I have been waiting for a hand held computer for a long time this is going to be a game changer.
M4sh3dP0t4t03 #79
Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:50 PM
I'm really wondering what Pocket PC's will be like (sorta like OpenP remotes?). And if there will be a war on what phone they were made to resemble. (ex: It's iPhone! No, it's Android! Don't you guys realize that it's BlackBerry?!?)
If it was made to resemble anything, it would be an iPhone because the crafting recipe contains a golden apple, but still it isn't made to resemble anything, it's just a handheld computer.