This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
oeed's profile picture

Website Testing Wanted

Started by oeed, 07 January 2014 - 04:21 AM
oeed #1
Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:21 AM
Hi guys,

I felt inspired to work on my website yesterday and after many hours in Illustrator and Sublime Text it's pretty much finished. Based on the way it's designed (every page is loaded using Ajax and I'm using a lot of new CSS) I'm sure it's littered with problems for some browsers. I've tested it in Chrome on OS X, but since I don't have access to other screen resolutions, Windows or Linux and would rather not litter my Mac with every browser the universe has to offer. As one of the main uses of this website will be an online portfolio for others (i.e. potential employers or collaborators) it is essential that it works properly and runs well. I'm also looking for feedback on the design and speed, it uses custom font's which may slow it down a lot.

Anyway, heres the URL. Note, it will redirect but that's mainly for future proofing if I decide to separate my personal website from my 'oeed' website.

http://oeed.me/

So yea, have at it.

Thanks!
Edited on 07 January 2014 - 04:31 AM
Csstform #2
Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:09 AM
Simplistic. I like. The contact link seems to take me nowhere though, and disappears on every page but the home. Also, no mobile optimization :(/> However, all content can be viewed through safari on iOS 4.2.1, as well as the default android browser.
Jguy #3
Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:38 AM
Looks okay except for the above on Firefox 25 on a Windows XP SP3 machine.

IE8 on same reports a ton of errors, the font doesn't download and apparently my work PC has Javascript disabled on IE so it overall doesn't work :P/> But, IE8 will be out of support in a few months anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Csstform #4
Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

IE8 on same reports a ton of errors, the font doesn't download and apparently my work PC has Javascript disabled on IE so it overall doesn't work :P/>/> But, IE8 will be out of support in a few months anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Ewwwwwwww…….
What is IE? Bleah. :D/>
Alice #5
Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:49 AM
It works in Chrome. I tested the Contact link in Chrome, and it took me to g-mail. Not sure if it's because my settings or not, but it works in Chrome.
Zudo #6
Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:37 AM
Sick. I like it :)/>

EDIT: 'Breif Description' should be 'Brief Description'
Edited on 07 January 2014 - 10:48 AM
GravityScore #7
Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:51 AM
Looks nice, lovely animations. Not sure about the font to be honest.

The links on the pages (eg the package manager link at the bottom of the PearOS page) should be blue and underlined I think - I wasn't sure what I could click on.

Also, after visiting a page that turns the background white, then clicking on the downloads page, nothing appears visually, but things seem to be selectable. Visiting it with a black background confronts me with a continuous loading bar that never seems to end.
oeed #8
Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:44 PM
Simplistic. I like. The contact link seems to take me nowhere though, and disappears on every page but the home. Also, no mobile optimization :(/>/> However, all content can be viewed through safari on iOS 4.2.1, as well as the default android browser.
I'll look in to a mobile version.

IE8 on same reports a ton of errors, the font doesn't download and apparently my work PC has Javascript disabled on IE so it overall doesn't work :P/>/> But, IE8 will be out of support in a few months anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Internet Explorer never was, and never will be, supported. But, I should probably at least attempt to get it working… Fun times ahead…

Looks nice, lovely animations. Not sure about the font to be honest.

The links on the pages (eg the package manager link at the bottom of the PearOS page) should be blue and underlined I think - I wasn't sure what I could click on.

Also, after visiting a page that turns the background white, then clicking on the downloads page, nothing appears visually, but things seem to be selectable. Visiting it with a black background confronts me with a continuous loading bar that never seems to end.
What is it about the font specifically?

Yea you're right about the links, I'll fix those.

The downloads page always works for me, what device and browser are you using?
GravityScore #9
Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:11 AM

Seems to be working now :/ huh.

The font struck me as a very fancy one, designed for use in titles and headers only, not for long paragraphs of text. It makes it harder to read in my opinion. I think a plainer, more standard font would work better for the paragraphs.
oeed #10
Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

Seems to be working now :/ huh.

The font struck me as a very fancy one, designed for use in titles and headers only, not for long paragraphs of text. It makes it harder to read in my opinion. I think a plainer, more standard font would work better for the paragraphs.

Yea, actually you're right there. I'll change paragraphs to Helvetica or another sans-serif font.
awsmazinggenius #11
Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:38 AM
I quite like the font. What one is it? In my opinion you should keep the font, unless you are posting a very large wall of text.
oeed #12
Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:44 AM
I quite like the font. What one is it? In my opinion you should keep the font, unless you are posting a very large wall of text.

It's Comfortaa. One of the main reasons why I chose it is because it's free for both personal and commercial (it's OFL license) use, which is handy.

I've got a little side tracked with OneOS but I'll change the paragraphs now before I forget.
theoriginalbit #13
Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:56 AM
Yea, actually you're right there. I'll change paragraphs to Helvetica or another sans-serif font.
if you want to get fonts that look fairly similar across systems I tend to use font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; Helvetica Neue and Arial are fairly similar.
oeed #14
Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:28 AM
if you want to get fonts that look fairly similar across systems I tend to use font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; Helvetica Neue and Arial are fairly similar.

Thanks, I've popped in Helvetica (vanilla) after Neue too, just incase they don't have Neue.

Edit: Hmm, I've changed it, but it doesn't look great. I'll try to find a font that has curved corners so it looks similar to Comfortaa but's easier to read in blocks.
Edited on 09 January 2014 - 01:32 AM
Micheal Pearce #15
Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:08 AM
site does not work at all on my windows phone
apemanzilla #16
Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:32 AM
It works great on Chrome and Safari on my iPad 3, haven't tested on my computer yet. The font looks amazing with the retina screen. So far it looks like everything works :)/>
Alice #17
Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:00 AM
I believe we've already covered this.
Simplistic. I like. The contact link seems to take me nowhere though, and disappears on every page but the home. Also, no mobile optimization :(/>/> However, all content can be viewed through safari on iOS 4.2.1, as well as the default android browser.
Edited on 09 January 2014 - 10:00 AM
oeed #18
Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:48 PM
I believe we've already covered this.
Simplistic. I like. The contact link seems to take me nowhere though, and disappears on every page but the home. Also, no mobile optimization :(/>/>/> However, all content can be viewed through safari on iOS 4.2.1, as well as the default android browser.

Well, it depends what he means by doesn't work. It's probably IE which will be contributing no doubt.
PixelToast #19
Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:27 PM
do not like animated pages, hurts eyes, slows things down >_>
awsmazinggenius #20
Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:28 PM
For all those complaining about the contact link, it works for me, so it must be an issue on your end. Clicking it makes the email, GitHub, Steam and ComputerCraft forum buttone at the bottom glow for a second.
oeed #21
Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:47 PM
For all those complaining about the contact link, it works for me, so it must be an issue on your end. Clicking it makes the email, GitHub, Steam and ComputerCraft forum buttone at the bottom glow for a second.

To anyone with this issue, please tell me what browser and OS you are using.
Micheal Pearce #22
Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:46 AM
Well, it depends what he means by doesn't work. It's probably IE which will be contributing no doubt.

indeed it is IE and it doesn't load because JavaScript isn't enabled which is weird because on my sites and others it works just fine
Edited on 09 January 2014 - 11:47 PM
oeed #23
Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

indeed it is IE and it doesn't load because JavaScript isn't enabled which is weird because on my sites and others it works just fine
Does it actually say JavaScript not enabled?

I believe there's a Windows Phone emulator so I'll try that. What version of IE/Windows Phone are you using?
awsmazinggenius #24
Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:40 PM
I'm sure there is some way (how do sites say "You don't have JavaScript enabled"?) to tell if the user has JS enabled, but, as I am generally not a fan of web design (I prefer designing programs to websites), I don't care for anything about JS, although I do know some HTML/CSS. If the user does not have JS, just use a static page.
MudkipTheEpic #25
Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:14 PM
I'm sure there is some way (how do sites say "You don't have JavaScript enabled"?) to tell if the user has JS enabled, but, as I am generally not a fan of web design (I prefer designing programs to websites), I don't care for anything about JS, although I do know some HTML/CSS. If the user does not have JS, just use a static page.
<noscript>.
Micheal Pearce #26
Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

I believe there's a Windows Phone emulator so I'll try that. What version of IE/Windows Phone are you using?

My phone is WP7 I not sure what version of IE it is, but I got the site to load still say JS wasn't enabled tho
oeed #27
Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:08 PM
The webpage will always say JS not enabled when loading, but JavaScript removes the message as soon as the page loads. So that's how I tell the user. This is why I'm confused about Micheal Pearce's problem, if his JavaScript is working it should be removing it.

My phone is WP7 I not sure what version of IE it is, but I got the site to load still say JS wasn't enabled tho
Thanks, I'll take a look using an emulator.
Alice #28
Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:26 PM
Do you object to me poking around your code a bit? This looks interesting :)/>
EDIT: I was going to just poke around some stuff, is it offline?
Edited on 10 January 2014 - 06:29 PM
oeed #29
Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:28 PM
Do you object to me poking around your code a bit? This looks interesting :)/>
EDIT: I was going to just poke around some stuff, is it offline?

Go ahead, feel free to ask me (preferably PM) if you have any questions/need help :)/>

I don't think it's offline, maybe the server was down (as it often is).
Micheal Pearce #30
Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:13 AM
Also I don't know if you're just using pure JavaScript or not but jQuery animations I believe work even on mobile platforms
awsmazinggenius #31
Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:15 AM
I'll just confirm with this post that it works with the iPad Air (obviously iOS 7) on the Chrome app just as it would on a computer. No issues at all. I haven't tested with Safari though.

EDIT: Works on Safari on the iPad Air. I occasionally have to scroll the page a couple pixels though.
Edited on 11 January 2014 - 01:18 AM
oeed #32
Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:17 AM
Also I don't know if you're just using pure JavaScript or not but jQuery animations I believe work even on mobile platforms

The animations are all pure CSS3. Which, does unfortunately mean IE (at least probably 9 and under) won't have them.
diegodan1893 #33
Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:30 AM
Nice web, all working in Windows 8 + Chrome, but I found two typos: "Breif Description" should be "Brief Description" and "Useage" should be "Usage" in the pages with white background.
Zudo #34
Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:32 PM
'Breif Description' should be 'Brief Description'

"Breif Description" should be "Brief Description" and "Useage" should be "Usage" in the pages with white background.
Edited on 21 January 2014 - 11:35 AM
Shazz #35
Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:42 PM
Just had a quick look at it.
I like the simplistic style, fits well with the purpose of the side. I also like the AJAX.
Few technical stuff:
  • Minify Javascript and CSS (quickens load time and saves bandwidth).
  • Your webserver doesn't send any cache headers for fonts/images.
  • Directory listing is enabled.
oeed #36
Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:53 AM
Just had a quick look at it.
I like the simplistic style, fits well with the purpose of the side. I also like the AJAX.
Few technical stuff:
  • Minify Javascript and CSS (quickens load time and saves bandwidth).
  • Your webserver doesn't send any cache headers for fonts/images.
  • Directory listing is enabled.
I'll look in to minifying. I'm not sure how much of an effect it will have though. It also makes it a lot harder for people to learn off it.

I'll fix the caching issue as soon as I Google how to :P/>

I've left directory listing on more as a personal 'where is it' purpose, but I suppose I should probably turn it off really.
awsmazinggenius #37
Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:03 PM
It still says "Useage" (at least on the Packsge Maker page) and on the Package Maker page it says that PearOS is on GitHub.
oeed #38
Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:20 PM
It still says "Useage" (at least on the Packsge Maker page) and on the Package Maker page it says that PearOS is on GitHub.
I'm yet to fix the typos, I've been too busy working on other thing (the App Store!).

Edit: I've fixed them now, I'm looking for work experience at the moment and think this site might help, so I'm polishing it up :P/>
Edited on 25 January 2014 - 05:32 PM
awsmazinggenius #39
Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:04 PM
I can't seem to find my post, nor did I hear anything from the moderators/admins, so I'm going to repeat myself:

[offtopic] Lately I've started slightly (still working on it but slowly) losing interest in awsmazingOS and have been starting to write some vanilla CC programs. I've been taking some simple programs from my survival worlds and polishing them up with GUIs (but still command line support via arguments), new features and cleaning up the code. If you wouldn't mind me putting the programs on your store, I'm happy to put my programs there, as I did look into TurtleScripts but they seemed, well, not up to scratch. (They autolicense code under a license that's not even for code, and they kept their new year banner up until November, and other things.)

EDIT: 404 on the resume and the list of stuff for your portfolio is cut off on the left for me.
Edited on 25 January 2014 - 07:05 PM
oeed #40
Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:25 PM
I can't seem to find my post, nor did I hear anything from the moderators/admins, so I'm going to repeat myself:

[offtopic] Lately I've started slightly (still working on it but slowly) losing interest in awsmazingOS and have been starting to write some vanilla CC programs. I've been taking some simple programs from my survival worlds and polishing them up with GUIs (but still command line support via arguments), new features and cleaning up the code. If you wouldn't mind me putting the programs on your store, I'm happy to put my programs there, as I did look into TurtleScripts but they seemed, well, not up to scratch. (They autolicense code under a license that's not even for code, and they kept their new year banner up until November, and other things.)

EDIT: 404 on the resume and the list of stuff for your portfolio is cut off on the left for me.

Yep, I'm reworking the portfolio page at the moment and I haven't uploaded my resume yet.

In terms of the App Store, yes you definitely will. It's designed so everyone can submit and download programs. If desired you can join the beta too. I'm finishing the uploader at this stage and only have a Pastebin and GitHub option, with your programs do you have more than 1 file and/or folders?
awsmazinggenius #41
Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:11 PM
I'd be more than happy to beta then. I have one main file for Advanced Turtles (because it actually uses the mouse for editing your setup in your MC world), and a companion for a normal advanced computer to use the mouse on a standard Turtle and to act as a wireless companion.
oeed #42
Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:42 PM
Ok, I'll PM you some time in the next few weeks.