This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
DannySMc's profile picture

uOS - Simplicity

Started by DannySMc, 14 January 2014 - 07:06 PM
DannySMc #1
Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:06 PM
Okay so I have been making a bundle of (sort of) useful programs for users in minecraft, who are starting out I guess, as well as experimenting with ComputerCraft. They are called uPrograms, there is a file grabber that has an up-to-date list of all my available versions! Use the code in an advanced computers command line:
"pastebin get rTDR0tjx uretrieve"
then run it by typing: "uretrieve" and then you can choose a program to download.

uOS is on here, so download it using the file grabber!

uOS is a simple operating system, it doesn't use any kind of touch screen at the moment as I am more involved in trying to get a decent operational OS that has a lot of functionality to it! uOS has a lot of features but it is lacking a lot of "programs".

FEATURES:
+ Config files to allow you to choose your own colours for the text and background
+ A nice looking boot screen
+ Login screen
+ Prevents CTRL+T (Terminate program)
+ It features a nice menu screen consisting of a background, a changing clock, your username written on the screen as well as the ID
+ It has a menu with more than 10 programs!
+ It has auto-updating features using the version table (Also checks for and updates the API)

PROGRAMS:
+ uShare - File sharing using rednet
+ uChat - Rednet chat program!
+ uNotepad - note taking program!
+ uLocate - Anyone with uOS installed can be located using the uLocate program, as long as you know their ID, it also contains the gps-deploy program that can be downloaded to turtles to create the Global positioning system!
+ Also allows you to boot CraftOS and return to uOS very easily!

FUTURE UPDATES:
+ User Accounts with pictures (customisable), choose your own backgrounds using the bkgManager.
+ Better Security, packs all files into one then encrypts it 3 times, using your own password checksum!
+ Touchscreen setting, natively controlled using key buttons! (Usable for a monitor)
+ Non-colour version without using advanced computer
+ Some random easter eggs for the fun
+ Wireless control using uControl on another computer!
+ Includes the ALPHA version of uWeb
+ Will include the download of uWebCreator

uWeb:
This is a personal project but as I am a web designer, I felt like seeing if it is possible to rewrite some of the main website functions from HTML to display information on a computer in minecraft! At the moment it is at 75% finished! It literally downloads the website and then the program will scan the whole code character by character, searching for HTML tags and re-creating the code, into lua readable and executable code, it literally builds a program using the website! More than 13,000 lines of code haha, your computercraft mod's config file will need to make sure the file limit is a lot higher! There is a usable version in ALPHA stage, that can literally take apart some simple static websites, but it errors a lot!

uWebCreator:
This is relatively simple to understand, it allows you to write websites using the uWeb code standards! So errors are lessened, is also a plug-in for Notepad ++ , Dreamweaver and Netbeans.

HELPERS APPRECIATED:
If you have a good logical head then you may be up for the job, it isn't paid! But you can get your name in the credits :OOOOO
All you will be doing is going through the uWeb program and finding all errors and literally debugging, as well as creating more programs for uPrograms and even new program sets! If you are any good with the following programming languages:
C++
C#
Objective-C
Java
Python
Lisp
Lua
PHP
MySQL
then you may be cut out for our proper operating system!!! Wanna apply? Email me:
danny.smc95@gmail.com
with your programs/code, your name, date of birth, Location (country not specifics!)
PLEASE NOTE: Your details will be stored on my personal server, which is secure!!

http://dannysmc.tk
Symmetryc #2
Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:12 PM
Decent programs for a beginner, but you might want to look up some Lua tutorials to learn a bit more about the language :)/>.
oeed #3
Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:37 PM
Nice to see another OS, we haven't had many recently.

The restarting every time you install somethings a bit annoying though.
Edited on 14 January 2014 - 07:50 PM
TheOddByte #4
Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:11 PM
Cool, And the site was cool! :D/>
I really liked the login animation! :D/>
theoriginalbit #5
Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:17 PM
Sorry to inform you though, but the method you're using to detect Ctrl or Alt on your website is not cross platform. It doesn't work on OS X or Linux (tested in both).
oeed #6
Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:53 PM
Sorry to inform you though, but the method you're using to detect Ctrl or Alt on your website is not cross platform. It doesn't work on OS X or Linux (tested in both).
Worked for me in Chrome OS X 10.9, did you hold it down?

The site is a bit… messy. It just feels a little cluttered.
theoriginalbit #7
Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:02 PM
Still doesn't work for me, Chrome, Safari, or Firefox…
DannySMc #8
Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:01 PM
Still doesn't work for me, Chrome, Safari, or Firefox…

Oh okay, sorry, yeah it's (in all honesty) a mess, I am re-designing a user interface like windows 8, but I have college and work, so I haven't got too much time on it, if you use the link: http://summotion.netai.net/wp-login.php - Sorry about that. I don't have a mac so I didn't know and linux it works on Ubuntu Ultimate (Chromium (older version)) and debian for raspberry pi, so I shall try and fix that!!

Nice to see another OS, we haven't had many recently.

The restarting every time you install somethings a bit annoying though.

Yeah I want them to have more out, but I guess it's just a lot of people put up empty OS's (kinda like mine haha) and then once you have done it you don't really know what to put in it… Anyway yes I shall change that, it was only cause the console needs the variables at the start to function so I may as well run the boot() function again and make sure everything loads. If you have any ideas on what I could add that would be mighty helpful!! :)/>
Edited on 15 January 2014 - 12:59 PM
CometWolf #9
Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:22 PM
uWeb sounds insane, def gonna check that out!
DannySMc #10
Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:27 PM
uWeb sounds insane, def gonna check that out!

It is haha, It has so many problems, as it relies on being able to source out all the HTML tags and then re-create them, this is massively buggy, and if say another web designer creates a few shortcuts etc, then it will error. I have recently only got it to take simple static websites and convert them from HTML to a lua friendly code, the website had 48 lines of code… It's a real pain!
MailoStudios #11
Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:48 AM
I Testing it. in 10 Minutes when its good i will Code with you