This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
augustas656's profile picture

Hybrid Computers, Turtles & Monitors

Started by augustas656, 17 January 2014 - 06:53 AM
augustas656 #1
Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:53 AM
Hello,

I think there should be a third tier upgrade of Computer Craft machines. And I thought, Hybrid. Hybrid Computers can now be more than text-based. You can now modify every pixel in the screen, there could be new APIs also, and extra data storage space. Hybrid turtles would work twice as fast, also will be able to have every pixel modified, better APIs, extra data storage space and also have the ability to be crafty and wireless, basically have as many upgrades as you want until all six but the front face is filled. Hybrid Monitors would also have the ability to have every pixel modified, and you can right click, left click and middle click the screen and it will be recognised as different clicking methods.

Perhaps Hybrid wireless modems that have an extreme range, and are built using rather than a wireless modem and an advanced wireless modem which doesn't exist. There should be just two wireless modems. Maybe Hybrid floppy disks, that work like ender storage, you can give them a unique label and if you label another with the same name it has the same files, and also 2x the data storage. If you destroy the Hybrid floppy disk, labelling another with the same label will let you use the files again. If you re-label the disk, the files disappear and stay in the old label. If you use a Hybrid floppy disk without a label, another without a label would have the same data as the other. I'm not sure about the fact that there may be bugs if you have two of the same and you change data in them at the same time in two different computers.

Hybrid Machines and Devices would be mainly made of Lapis Lazuli. This is an idea crafting recipe where the black and white block is the basic version, and the yellowish block is the advanced version. Modems and floppy disks would just be two of the same replacing the yellowish and black and grey blocks.

I also need your ideas, suggest anything you like. I hope this idea (or similar) is put in new updates of Computer Craft.

Thank you,
Augustas
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:59 AM
These and similar ideas have been consistently rejected, please use the search feature before making suggestions.

As for the extra upgrade slots there is a reason you can only use the two sides… If more were to be added only a maximum of 3 would be possible… Possible configuration:
Top: [Empty]
Bottom: [Taken] Engine
Left: [Empty]
Right: [Empty]
Front: [Taken] Vision
Back: [Taken] 'Backpack' for inventory
Edited on 17 January 2014 - 07:00 AM
augustas656 #3
Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:10 AM
Why rejected?

I mean really, all I would like is to be able to modify every pixel rather than have to make text-based everything. So you could make a proper RPG game with pixels rather than characters.
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:13 AM
Higher resolution screens and screens with more colours have been the largest requested features. Every time being rejected. If you wish to know why I suggest making use of the aforementioned forum search feature.
augustas656 #5
Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:02 AM
Well i'd like atleast squares rather than rectangles to act as enlarged pixels from characters. Atleast that. Although, if it's so rejected, I'm not going to bother. Just suggesting. :)/>
theoriginalbit #6
Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:18 AM
they're rectangles due to the fact of how letters are, if they were suddenly squares then text would look odd, very odd indeed.

you can make a square by placing 2 rectangular pixels side-by-side
Edited on 17 January 2014 - 08:19 AM
Lyqyd #7
Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:39 AM
Um, nah. Try CCLights. The network latency gets really ugly when very fine control of the screens is implemented. The modem range and disk capacity can be adjusted in the config.