This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
libraryaddict's profile picture

[1.4]Complete CC freedom

Started by libraryaddict, 11 May 2012 - 10:08 AM
libraryaddict #1
Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:08 PM
As it is, When you start up a computer the default OS runs, Correct?
If you want your own OS you need to run it off the default one.
OR edit/delete the files in the real computer.

That is not really acceptable.
Why not allow freedom for computers to run their own OS.

Im not saying have the Default OS run as a wrapper. Because thats how it is atm.

Im talking about someone joining a server and able to run any OS they please.

eg.
So I made a OS.
It involves no API's or any of the stuff you can get from the normal OS.
But what I can do is complete hack protection from anyone ingame because of no code giving a bypass.

But yes.
Basically a way for players to run a custom OS, But not while using the default as a wrapper.
This could be a server option as well.
Not everyone would like custom OS's.

I would LOVE to hear someone try tell me that you can already make a custom OS ingame.

Its not custom until I can stop floppies opening my secret files like a flower.
And yes I am aware I can make a custom OS by editing/deleting the base OS.
But thats not giving me a way to run a custom OS per computer with it running the default OS if I don't have another OS installed.

Lastly.

I know I could edit the OS so it would give this to a point.
But that's not a default option and I do want everyone to have the freedom regardless of a server owners code expertise.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.
cant_delete_account #2
Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:07 AM
I totally agree.If you did know how do code, you could easily remove the shell.setPath's from the rom/startup and that would (kinda) work.If anyone want's the code for that here it is:
(Yes, you don't want ANY code)Then just put that in .minecraft(or your server folder)/mods/ComputerCraft/lua/rom/startup.
bbqroast #3
Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:17 PM
Agreed, the fact servers are forced to lock everyone into one OS is a pain.
Matchlighter #4
Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:44 AM
You could just use the computers startup file and tell it to create an environment with only the Lua functions and required CC functions in a different namespace (for lack of a better word).

local env = {...}
local newOS = loadfile("THE_OS")
setfenv(newOS, env)
newOS()

Voila! You can even provide your own _G table!

EDIT: You can also check out my custom BIOS: http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/1019-apibiosprograms-matchlighters-programs-fire-bios-pvars
kazagistar #5
Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:57 AM
Yeah, the way it is right now is good. The default is pretty secure and intelligent, but if a server admin wants (and can write the code), they can make their BIOS freely modifyable very easily on a per-computer basis
Pinkishu #6
Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:24 AM
Yeah A ROM Editor would be nice but would need to change what the bios has access to i think?
Or any other way to really make a custom OS
ETHANATOR360 #7
Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:55 PM
it should be like the trs-80 color computer it has a default OS but it can have OS boot disks which could allow for a wide choice of different OS