This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
HeffeD's profile picture

[1.6.4][CC 1.58][SSP] Melee turtle doesn't pick up item drops

Started by HeffeD, 31 January 2014 - 02:58 PM
HeffeD #1
Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:58 PM
Yesterday I noticed that there was a 1.58 release for ComputerCraft, so I updated.

The melee turtles aren't picking up the item drops from mobs they kill.

It's nothing script related, as a simple looping turtle.attack() will cause this behavior. Adding a turtle.suck() to the loop will pick up the items in front of the turtle, but anything falling outside that area is lost.

It's also not interference from another mod. In troubleshooting this issue, I used a test world with a pretty bare minimum of mods active.

The installed mods were:
Forge 9.11.1.965 - I believe this is the most current version for MC 1.6.4.
NotEnoughItems 1.6.1.8 - Along with the necessary CodeChickenCore 0.9.0.7
ComputerCraft 1.58

The turtle used was a basic melee turtle. I didn't think to test any other type of melee turtle because I only use the basic ones. All of the dropped items are left on the ground.

I guess it could be argued that somehow NEI is causing the issue because I didn't test without it, but that still wouldn't explain why CC1.57 and earlier versions work just fine.

I start my client with MagicLauncher if that is somehow relevent to the issue.
CometWolf #2
Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:08 PM
Do turtles even pick stuff up from killed mobs in the first place, unless suck is used? Also, this update i pretty old lol, there's a beta for 1.6 already.
HeffeD #3
Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:14 PM
Do turtles even pick stuff up from killed mobs in the first place, unless suck is used?

Yes they do. Or at least, yes, they used to do that… ;)/>

Also, this update i pretty old lol, there's a beta for 1.6 already.

I'm aware that the release isn't exactly new. And yes, I'm aware that 1.6 is on the horizon. I didn't report the issue in hopes that it would be fixed in 1.58. I reported the issue so it could be fixed in 1.6. B)/>
CometWolf #4
Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:18 PM
I haven't worked much with melee turtles, but im pretty sure they never picked up mob drops. Just tested aswell, they don't for me on 1.58.
HeffeD #5
Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:28 PM
I haven't worked much with melee turtles, but im pretty sure they never picked up mob drops. Just tested aswell, they don't for me on 1.58.

Try it with 1.57 or earlier versions…
Cloudy #6
Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:14 PM
They have always picked up items and I have a setup on Forgecraft which uses this feature which works fine. Can not confirm.
HeffeD #7
Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:56 PM
They have always picked up items and I have a setup on Forgecraft which uses this feature which works fine. Can not confirm.

As I understand it, Forgecraft often has developer versions of mods in use. Were you using Forge 9.11.1.965, or a newer developemental release?

I'm just curious because CometWolf also encountered the same issue, so is it possible that Forgecraft has something different than a normal user setup?
Cloudy #8
Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:17 PM
965 Forge, and the latest (non beta) CC.
apemanzilla #9
Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:44 AM
I noticed that some items would work, others wouldn't - specifically, main mob drops (rotten flesh from a zombie) wouldn't work, while rare/secondary/special drops (iron ingot from a zombie, gold/nugget/sword from a pigman, etc) would work.

This was on an MCPC+ FTB Unleashed server, so a bit outdated, but I have seen this before.
Link149 #10
Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:59 PM
Well, the last time I tried to break and pick-up a block in 1.6.4 using a turtle, it required me to use the suck() function. I might just be wrong, and maybe it isn't required, but I suggest you try anyway. Of course, also make sure there's enough space in your turtle's inventory.
HeffeD #11
Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:22 PM
I noticed that some items would work, others wouldn't - specifically, main mob drops (rotten flesh from a zombie) wouldn't work, while rare/secondary/special drops (iron ingot from a zombie, gold/nugget/sword from a pigman, etc) would work.

That's interesting. I wonder why that is? I didn't watch it long enough to see if it would pick up any rare drops. Maybe if I have some spare time, I'll try 1.58 again and see if I net any rare drops.

Well, the last time I tried to break and pick-up a block in 1.6.4 using a turtle, it required me to use the suck() function. I might just be wrong, and maybe it isn't required, but I suggest you try anyway. Of course, also make sure there's enough space in your turtle's inventory.

My mining turtles don't have any issues picking up the blocks they break. It's only the melee turtles I'm having trouble with. The turtles inventory has plenty of space because I have an inventory dump routine that is called when the turtle isn't attacking. And yes, as I mentioned in my original post, adding a turtle.suck() does work, but that only picks up the items dropped directly in front of the turtle, and I'd prefer not to use a kludgey workaround when it shouldn't be necessary since the turtle should be grabbing the mob drops automatically.
apemanzilla #12
Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

That's interesting. I wonder why that is? I didn't watch it long enough to see if it would pick up any rare drops. Maybe if I have some spare time, I'll try 1.58 again and see if I net any rare drops.

I had first noticed it back in FTB Ultimate, with a Soul shard wither skeleton grinder. The coal and bones dropped normally, but stone swords endlessly filled the turtle. I hadn't thought much of it and had just made the turtle drop them.

Later, in FTB Unleashed, I noticed the same thing with a pigman farm, with the flesh being dropped and other stuff going into the turtle, I had done more extensive testing and came up with the results above.