This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
daphee's profile picture

RemoteFS - Cloudstorage in ComputerCraft

Started by daphee, 14 February 2014 - 07:28 AM
daphee #1
Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:28 AM
Hi,
Here is my first version of RemoteFS. It consists of a server and a client and allows you to use programs on other computers via rednet/wired modems. This is really handy when you have e.g. giant turtle armies which all run the same program. You could just have one mirror server which the program is loaded from. It comes with password protection. Copying and moving files/directorys isn't possible yet because for now I'm just wrapping the fs API and kind of remotely calling it on the other computer. If there's interest I'll try to add this though.

Server:

pastebin get N0uCmamX server

Client:

pastebin get JGbmsrN7 mount

Usage:
Start the server with

server (<password>)

On the client:

mount <computer> <folder> (<password>)
The Folder must be empty and existent. Folder isn't relative to your current working directory. I'll maybe change this.

To view mounted computers just type

mount

To unmount a computer:

mount umount <folder>
willwac #2
Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:37 AM
So, you can run programs from the server, but you can't copy them to/from the server?
daphee #3
Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:39 AM
Yes. Every option besides copy, move works. You can create, edit, remove files and directorys. Copying and moving files is implemented on the Java side and I'ld have to implement them myself.
kornichen #4
Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:29 AM
Hmm a german one ;)/>

Looks interesting will check it out today.

Sieht gut aus, ich werde es heute mal testen. Ich denke, du müsstest Deutsch sprechen ;)/>
lieudusty #5
Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:21 AM
Yes. Every option besides copy, move works. You can create, edit, remove files and directorys. Copying and moving files is implemented on the Java side and I'ld have to implement them myself.

Why not just read the file and write it's contents to another file?
Techman749 #6
Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:35 PM
Seems like an interesting idea. I would like to see more added to this. I would use this program frequently if it was finished.

+1 supporter for you.

If you don't mind, could I try to build off of this?
Edited on 02 August 2014 - 05:37 PM