This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Agoldfish's profile picture

[V-A-1.0.0]BetterShell! Not Quite Better Yet...

Started by Agoldfish, 23 February 2014 - 11:38 AM
Agoldfish #1
Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:38 PM
BetterShell!

Hi everyone! I was talking to someone on IRC, forgot who, and he said: "I love command-line arguments and stuff, but it can get confusing sometimes!"

That is where BetterShell comes in!

BetterShell is currently in A1.0.0 and features 4 functions;

-Exit back to CraftOS

-Clear; pretty self-explanatory.

-move; just like mv!

Last but not least:

copy; just like cp!

For those who just want to skip right to it download link is below…

pastebin get iYPv5Ra3 bettershell

I do have some planned features, and if you look at the code, you can see one of them…

That's right! The help command!

The help command will list all the things available.

A list on all available functions can be seen in the source code, or on documentation coming soon.

I wanted to write this quick, so expect some missing info. Put it in the comments and I will answer it. ;)/>

That's i from me! Please report some bugs. I'll tell you if I know them when you post them.
MKlegoman357 #2
Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:59 PM
MKlegoman357 said:
What's with everyone posting beta/alpha/not done yet/non functional/not usable programs/OS which look more like a code snippet than an actual program OS.

Why didn't you gave this OS to that person or even finish it… Giving people a non-finished OS and not finishing it for a few weeks or months doesn't go well.

I wanted to write this quick, so expect some missing info. Put it in the comments and I will answer it. ;)/>

^ This is what I'm talking about.

About the actual OS:

It's nice to see someone make some simple to use move and copy commands, but having an ability to use it just like in CraftOS (copy /startup /disk/startup) would be nice. Don't like the idea that you can't actually do anything apart from clearing the screen, copying/moving files and running an instance of a shell (you're not exiting, just running another shell).
Agoldfish #3
Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:04 PM
MKlegoman357 said:
What's with everyone posting beta/alpha/not done yet/non functional/not usable programs/OS which look more like a code snippet than an actual program OS.

Why didn't you gave this OS to that person or even finish it… Giving people a non-finished OS and not finishing it for a few weeks or months doesn't go well.

^ This is what I'm talking about.

About the actual OS:

It's nice to see someone make some simple to use move and copy commands, but having an ability to use it just like in CraftOS (copy /startup /disk/startup) would be nice. Don't like the idea that you can't actually do anything apart from clearing the screen, copying/moving files and running an instance of a shell (you're not exiting, just running another shell).
It is in alpha you know, I do plan to add more such as an easier to understand lua prompt, some educational learning tools bulit-in and some other stuff I haven't thought about yet,

And this is meant to be run alongside CraftOS to get you used to command-line stuff. I guess it is part educational tool
part OS/Shell.
MKlegoman357 #4
Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:08 PM
It is in alpha you know, I do plan to add more such as an easier to understand lua prompt, some educational learning tools bulit-in and some other stuff I haven't thought about yet,

And this is meant to be run alongside CraftOS to get you used to command-line stuff. I guess it is part educational tool
part OS/Shell.

I understand that, but why did you released it so soon? With it being so poor in functionality people may think that this is just another non-usable OS and they won't come to check this thread very soon, nor use it. For now it's more like a 'File mover and copier' program than an OS.
Agoldfish #5
Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

part OS/Shell.

I understand that, but why did you released it so soon? With it being so poor in functionality people may think that this is just another non-usable OS and they won't come to check this thread very soon, nor use it. For now it's more like a 'File mover and copier' program than an OS.
I released it so soon 'cause I was excited. XD And hopefully people will notice it will be more than that in the future,
CometWolf #6
Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:40 PM
If it's command line based anyways, why don't you just use the same programs that craftOS uses to manage files, instead of making your own?
Agoldfish #7
Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:44 PM
If it's command line based anyways, why don't you just use the same programs that craftOS uses to manage files, instead of making your own?
The point is to make a program that integrates the COS ways of file management in an easier way to understand.
Alice #8
Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:34 PM
Posted Today, 11:46 AM

You're welcome for putting you in a coding mood
Edited on 23 February 2014 - 03:35 PM
Agoldfish #9
Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:37 PM
Posted Today, 11:46 AM

You're welcome for putting you in a coding mood
Yep. Your the one to blame. XD
Alice #10
Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:24 PM
blame.
Don't you mean,
give credit to.
?
Agoldfish #11
Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:29 PM
blame.
Don't you mean,
give credit to.
?
Depending on how you look at it, I guess. :P/>

While I'm posting:
Alpha 1.0.1 is out. Reinstall when you get the chance.
-Added: Help
-Bugfixes.
-Other small things.
Edited on 23 February 2014 - 04:30 PM
Chain99 #12
Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:12 AM
[redacted]
Edited on 05 April 2014 - 10:19 PM
adencraft2000 #13
Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:05 AM
Nice!
Just a suggestion, some users may want the program to be called something else and your code would not work because you use

shell.run("bettershell")
May i suggest adding a local variable called "location" for example and set it to the currently running program:

local location = shell.getRunningProgram()
and rather than

shell.run("bettershell")
Use

shell.run(location)
cdel #14
Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:03 AM
add error catching so it doesn't crash if you enter a program that's non-existent
Edited on 09 May 2014 - 08:03 AM