This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
apemanzilla's profile picture

CCMobile - I want YOUR feedback!

Started by apemanzilla, 25 March 2014 - 02:25 AM
apemanzilla #1
Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:25 AM
So, as you may (or may not) know, I am currently working on an emulator for ComputerCraft that will run on iPhones and iPads.

It is still very non-functional, ugly and buggy, but at least the start menu works properly…

The next step is the emulator for CC itself. I do not currently have any screenshots that would make sense, so here is a mockup in MS Paint of what I want the final product to look like:

(Yes, I know it's really bad and ugly)

So what would you guys like to see in it? Would a GUI similar to the one above work, following the theme from the menu? Would you change or add anything? Questions? Leave some comments, I could really use some feedback :)/>

When it is at least partially stable, I may (no promises!!!) release a version that other iOS-savvy people here can run in an iPhone simulator or on their phones if you really know what you're doing.
awsmazinggenius #2
Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:37 AM
I like it. It would be nice if you added a decent mobile editor (for the record, I like Textastic on my iPad, you might want to use that as a reference for an editor build into the app to make files for CC) and a way to press non-rendering keys like the f# keys, the plain ctrl, alt and shift keys, etc. Also, does this use LuaJ, or another version (the standard C version?) of Lua?
apemanzilla #3
Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:42 AM
I like it. It would be nice if you added a decent mobile editor (for the record, I like Textastic on my iPad, you might want to use that as a reference for an editor build into the app to make files for CC) and a way to press non-rendering keys like the f# keys, the plain ctrl, alt and shift keys, etc. Also, does this use LuaJ, or another version (the standard C version?) of Lua?
This is in Corona for now. May switch to a different platform if things dont work out.

An editor is something I've considered. LuaIDE sound good? :D/> (jk, jk)
zekesonxx #4
Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:43 AM
Also, does this use LuaJ, or another version (the standard C version?) of Lua?

While I don't know what version he's using, he can't use LuaJ due to Apple App Store restrictions regarding code not written in C, C++, or Obj C.
apemanzilla #5
Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:44 AM

While I don't know what version he's using, he can't use LuaJ due to Apple App Store restrictions regarding code not written in C, C++, or Obj C.
Lua is written in C++. Why would I use LuaJ?
zekesonxx #6
Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:45 AM

Because LuaJ is what is used in the actual version of ComputerCraft.
apemanzilla #7
Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:48 AM

Because LuaJ is what is used in the actual version of ComputerCraft.
…and?

Your way:
1. Port Java to iOS
2. Port LuaJ to said port of Java.
3. Port CC to said port of LuaJ.

Thats a lot of porting… Good month or so minimum working constantly by my estimate.

My way:
1. Make wrapper for CC supplying core functions
2. Make GUI
3. Insert CC lua
4. :D/>
1lann #8
Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:41 AM
He's still making a valid point that despite it takes more development time and effort, your emulator will be more accurate on how ComputerCraft really is. But either way as zekesonxx said earlier, you can't use LuaJ.

Also porting Java and LuaJ with just 1 person to iOS would take a lot more than a month… But don't forget you are still required to port ComputerCraft to C/C++, as you'll need to rewrite all the "os" and "term" functions. And write out event handling, os.clock, keyboard input, mouse clicking events, simulated filesystem, http etc. It really is quite a big task, which in itself can take more than a month. For me and GravityScore on Mimic, we've probably spent 3 weeks in total together, and we still haven't finished it.

You'll face a lot of obstacles along the way, but I wish you good luck on it ;)/>
Edited on 25 March 2014 - 09:50 AM
Csstform #9
Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:10 AM
I'm really looking forward to the next generation of emulators, (This, Mimic, CCLite) and I hope that you stick to this project. I wish you good luck, and, after making my own texture pack, I feel sufficient enough to offer my services as a pixel artist, although I am sure there are better ones on the forums.
apemanzilla #10
Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:20 AM
He's still making a valid point that despite it takes more development time and effort, your emulator will be more accurate on how ComputerCraft really is. But either way as zekesonxx said earlier, you can't use LuaJ.

Also porting Java and LuaJ with just 1 person to iOS would take a lot more than a month… But don't forget you are still required to port ComputerCraft to C/C++, as you'll need to rewrite all the "os" and "term" functions. And write out event handling, os.clock, keyboard input, mouse clicking events, simulated filesystem, http etc. It really is quite a big task, which in itself can take more than a month. For me and GravityScore on Mimic, we've probably spent 3 weeks in total together, and we still haven't finished it.

You'll face a lot of obstacles along the way, but I wish you good luck on it ;)/>
There are various platforms already designed to allow running Lua on iOS, so really all that needs to be done is making an environment that adds the CC APIs - os, term, etc. Its actually sort of similar to what you're doing with Mimic :D/>

I'm really looking forward to the next generation of emulators, (This, Mimic, CCLite) and I hope that you stick to this project. I wish you good luck, and, after making my own texture pack, I feel sufficient enough to offer my services as a pixel artist, although I am sure there are better ones on the forums.
Everything helps. Textures are difficult for me, so if you could design any of the elements of the UI that I posted above, that would be great.
Csstform #11
Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:45 AM
Alright, I'll start now! (and get those icons) :D/>

EDIT: Can I have some dimensions?
Edited on 25 March 2014 - 10:46 AM
apemanzilla #12
Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:53 AM
Alright, I'll start now! (and get those icons) :D/>/>

Really any size works with the retina displays. The app icon itself has to be 57x57 to work properly. Double on retina displays. If they come out too small or large I can resize them, so don't worry about size too much. Although larger is probably better so I don't lose quality if I do resize them :)/>
Csstform #13
Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:11 PM
Alright, I'll start now! (and get those icons) :D/>/>/>

Really any size works with the retina displays. The app icon itself has to be 57x57 to work properly. Double on retina displays. If they come out too small or large I can resize them, so don't worry about size too much. Although larger is probably better so I don't lose quality if I do resize them :)/>/>
I meant dimensions for the GUI, sorry. The icons I can actually upload to you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3jw07rhhz256wt/iOS-7-OCD-App-Icon-Template-master.zip
Edited on 25 March 2014 - 11:15 AM
awsmazinggenius #14
Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:00 PM
Csstform, were you still wanting me to run those actions?
Csstform #15
Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:14 PM
Csstform, were you still wanting me to run those actions?
OH RIGHT! :P/> Yes please, they are actually in the download above, there should also be instructions, if not, I'm getting on IRC.
apemanzilla #16
Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:34 PM
Additionally, I am looking for someone who would like to help with this project - coding the UI, specifically. I'm using Corona SDK, so if anyone out there could help, send me a PM :D/>
Edited on 25 March 2014 - 10:34 PM
awsmazinggenius #17
Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:51 PM
OK, I'll remote into my computer (I'm in my iPad) and get it done. Note that I am temporarily using Photoshop CS6 as my credit card got compromised and I'm waiting for my new one, but until I get it I can't pay Adobe for Creative Cloud.

EDIT: I'm having a dumb moment and. I am at a complete loss at what to do with those files and actions. Could you please give me a description if exactly what to do?
Edited on 25 March 2014 - 11:00 PM
Csstform #18
Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:11 AM
Actually, I may have messed it up come to think of it…. Just a sec.
Symmetryc #19
Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:44 PM
Lua is written in C++
It is actually written in C, but I believe that it is easily embedded regarding C++ code.
apemanzilla #20
Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:13 PM
Lua is written in C++
It is actually written in C, but I believe that it is easily embedded regarding C++ code.
Correction: Lua can easily be run in C++ :P/>
TheMrIron2 #21
Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:23 PM
This would be amazing! If this was eventually released, I would be using this regularly. Great idea, I wish you the best with this project.
apemanzilla #22
Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:52 PM
This would be amazing! If this was eventually released, I would be using this regularly. Great idea, I wish you the best with this project.
Thanks! Starting work on the native CraftOS functions.
TheMrIron2 #23
Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:46 AM
Thanks! Starting work on the native CraftOS functions.
Do you mean programs like edit and all those? Or do you mean the bios or something else?
awsmazinggenius #24
Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:35 PM
I think he means APIs like term and os.
TheMrIron2 #25
Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:34 PM
I think he means APIs like term and os.

Oh, I misunderstood. :P/>