This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Pecacheu's profile picture

Numerous Suggestions For The Pocket PC

Started by Pecacheu, 12 April 2014 - 01:26 AM
Pecacheu #1
Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:26 AM
Okay, so I'm mostly going to be covering suggestions for CC pocket computers here, hence the title. So you might be thinking: "aren't there plenty of other suggestions out there already? Why must you people of the internet waste our time so?" Well,
1. The difference between many other posts (to all forums in general) and this one is that I can actually spell correctly, and use periods.
2. I've got PICTURES!!!
3. I've also got some interesting suggestions from other users in here as well.
4. If you don't want to waste your time, your on the wrong internet.

Some of these ideas are from other users, and some I've been wanting to suggest ever since I heard about the possibility of the PDA being added to Computer Craft about 2 years ago. Yes, I have read the guidelines, and yes, I do know that some things are just ridiculous. Here is a Legend:
(!) = If added, CC might just become the BEST MOD EVER, but in no way is it ever happening. (I've cut out most of these, as I don't want to waste TOO much of your time with fantasies.)
(~) = Would make the mod WAY cooler, but probably not going to be added.
(#) = Probably not happening to the CC mod itself, but maybe in a peripheral upgrade mod?
(&) = This feature would be nice, but it's really not that important.
(^) = These features might just have a chance to actually make it through the great diamond wall that is management and into the CC mod.
Just in case you didn't know, CC is short for Computer Craft. And Cubic Centimeter.

1. 3D Models (~)
Don't you just love those mods where the creator actually cared so much for you users to make a 3D model for ALL the items? Just looking at that gun in your pixilated hands is AWESOME! So why is your Pocket PC so boring? Bring it to life with a 3D model!

2. Better Sprites (^)
Sure you can change the textures yourself if you want, but wouldn't double resolution default textures be nice?
Maybe it wouldn't make much of a difference on the normal CC items, but what about on the Pocket Computers? Just Look:

I think that higher resolution sprites for floppy disks would also be nice.

3. The Great Minecraft 3D Printer (#)
Crafting your blocks, not just automatically, but in STYLE, with cool laser-animations and particle effects! Isn't that everyone's dream? If you can't have it in real life (just yet), then have it in an unrealistic block game, computer style!

4. Higey Resulutiun Dysplaiyz (!)
YES I KNOW THAT THIS IS ALWAYS GETTING SUGESTED, but that's why I had to cover it. Besides, that just proves how much we MUST HAVE IT! Sorry about all the capitals, I get excited. So anyway, advanced devices would have better resolutions then non-advanced, and maybe also full 128-bit RGB color, or at the very least 8-bit HEX? They would have resolutions like 240 by 320, and 640 by 480! Multi-font would be included, because the display would have ACTUAL PIXELS! (not just FAKE PIXELS that can have a letter IN JUST ONE PIXEL, which is NOT the "spirit of Minecraft," so don't use that excuse) Come on, at least the multi-font support!? Somebody really needs to get on this, because we all know that Dan2000 and crew won't. Why not me? Well because… uh… because because that's why!

5. Real-Time Sprite Technology! (not to be confused with real-time save) (!)
What's on the display… is on the item's texture!! Just think about it. Awesomeness.
So there are many ways to get that high res display into that tiny pixilated space. But this is Minecraft, and Minecraft is all about pixilation, so how about Nearest Neighbor? Here's how it works:

Let's say that the Pocket PC display is 320 by 480 pixels, but only 16 by 19 pixels on the sprite. That blue pixel at the top would be the color of pixel (320, 1), but what would the green one be? Well take 480 and divide it by 19 (make sure to round DOWN) and you get 25. So that would be pixel (320, 25). The yellow one is going to be 25 times 2, or 50, so (320, 50). Then all the way to the purple pixel, which is 25 times 18 or (320, 450), and finally the red one would be (320, 475), but instead we set it to (320, 480), so the ending pixels are always the ending pixels.

6. The CC Cellphone (~~, I guess?)
I think that the wireless Pocket PCs should be called "Cell phones", because that's kind of what they are. They could also maybe have a Cellular Modem on them, it's different, because it would have longer range, but be more affected by weather, and there would be a non-peripheral cellphone tower block as well, but it could echo messages across a wired network to a computer, while the computer could send messages to it to echo across the data network. Cell-phones would also maybe have built-in audio streaming functionality (but not really, it would just be a hook to Java's audio streaming functionalities).

7. Now In YOUR Choice of COLOR! (#)
Let's say you got a new phone, but you think that the color is UGLY, or just doesn't match your style. What do you do? Do you get a new one? (well maybe if you're crazy) No. You get A CASE! So many kinds! Semi-See-Through, Thick, Thin, Neon, Circle Grip Holes, Square Grip Holes, Covering or Not Covering the Buttons… And they even protect your phone from fall-damage! So why not in Computer Craft? And why don't Pocket PCs have fall damage? Oh, right, Minecraft. That certainly would be a programming challenge, question is, are YOU UP TO THE TASK? (as good as I am at making mode, which is pretty good, I know I'm not.) If someone takes the 3D model suggestion, then cases would be even cooler (not to mention that the back could actually look different then the front…)

8. Turtle Vision (#)
Yeah, I know, "but turtles are supposed to be blind", but I'm getting tired of needing a guide-dog for my robot (guide dogs for CC would be cool, actually). I've been wanting to implement some mapping into my programs, where turtles scan the environment before deciding what to do. One problem, they can't scan anything, other than some basic functionality, like detect() and compare(). I want it to know what's behind it, what's in-front of it, what's above, below, left, and right of it. AND I WAN'T IT TO KNOW THE BLOCK ID! Maybe even basic NBT, or whatever the acronym for it was, reading. It would also be nice if turtle.detect() could tell you if there's an entity there, a block there, or nothing.

9. Pocket PC Improvements: Finger Print Reader (#)
I just though that this suggestion from [NAME] was cool, if not practical, so I decided to list it. What I think this would do is use something unique to you (your username, of course) and read it automatically (you don't type it in, it reads it), so that only you can use your PC. I really think this would be much better as a peripheral extension mod though.

10. Pocket PC Improvements: Oh, you know this was getting mentioned SOMEWHERE! (Insane (ly hard to code) to the extreme = !!)
CAMERAS! PICTURES! VIDEO! Need I say more? Okay, they're 320 by 240 VGA resolution, with 8-bit HEX or something low like that, to get that pixel-y look.

11. Why fuel? It's the modern age! (~)
Here in the 21st century, we use batteries to power robots, not "fuel". Batteries would discharge whenever your turtle/Pocket PC is on, and faster if your turtle is moving. They will turn themselves off (with 15 second grace time and an event) at about 1%. There will also be multiple types of batteries. They will be, in order of increasing capacity, NiCd, NiMh, Li-Po, Non-Rechargeable Alkaline, Li-Ion. Higher capacity batteries last longer and have higher life spans (more on that in a minute), but they also take longer to charge, and are harder to craft.

To insert or remove a battery, you'll need a Battery Service Station. Put a Pocket PC or Turtle in it, and you can remove and insert batteries. Turtles will be rechargeable with a block that the turtle docks to, and Pocket PCs will use a Docking Station. But why do you need to take them out once they're in? Because they won't charge after a certain number of charges and discharges, of course. They will have a number that represents how long (in time) they've been charged, not counting being plugged in but full of course, and once that gets above a certain threshold, different for each battery, they will not charge anymore, so once they run out, you'll need a new one.

But what's the point if you just charge it with some block? It's ridiculous, like Redstone, it's INFINITE! Well, I've thought of that, actually. The docking station and the turtle recharging thingy will need to be connected with some kind of cable to a power source. Maybe regular computers would be directly connectable to a power source (although it would be realistic, I admit that I personally would not enjoy it if regular PCs needed power). Furnaces will work as long as they are on, but to make sure you don't waste energy while nothing's plugged in, there will be a battery storage block too. There might also be solar and wind power maybe? Also Minecraft Furnaces might need to be modified to work without anything in the smelting slot if there is a power output connected.

There will be a configuration option to turn off needing power, or just turn it off except for turtle movement. Maybe also compatibility with IC2, and Buildcraft, and other such things. There will also be commands. A command to get the battery percentage remaining (or nil if disabled in config), a command to tell which type of battery is being used, and a command to tell if it's charging, discharging, or neither (if disabled in config except for turtle movement, or if plugged in but fully charged).

12. Pocket PC Improvements: Docking Station (~)
Now would this be neat! A way to recharge your phone in style! It would be 3D modeled, of course, and when you click on it with the phone, the model changes to one with a Pocket PC in it, maybe even with your case shown. Then it charges just like that turtle charge station charges turtles. Unlike turtles, the phone wouldn't be usable while charging.

13. Quite Simple Really (^)
*Bad British Accent* I do believe that a small modification is in order, if I may say so, and must be implemented post-haste! You see, the blasted floppy disk machine makes use of a large and cumbersome slot-based interface in order to operate. This is simply quite inefficient, if not time consuming! So I simply must recommend, that the modification be modified in order to remove all traces of said interface from the game. Why for should right-clicking with your cursor operation device not be enough to insert and remove an item from said blasted disk machine? It's quite simple really!

14. Pocket PC Improvements: Power Loss Timeout (^, mostly for the config option)
Now this is also a suggestion I got from another user. A command or config option (preferably the former) that lets you choose how long until the Pocket PC turns off after dropping it or putting it in a chest. Maybe even a way to differentiate between dropping and putting in chests? An event that fires when one of these things happens would be nice too.

15. Pocket PC Improvements: Rotating The World (~)
When you rotate your phone, it (normally) rotates the on-screen content with you. Wouldn't a rotation button at the bottom of the Pocket PC interface be cool? It would visually rotate the screen content (eccept maybe for text?) and trigger an event, which you can (but don't have to) respond to by rotating content accordingly, and also using a command to rotate the text to match as well, possibly. More buttons, like a home and a back button that only fire an event when pressed would be nice as well.

16. Mouse Event Revamp (^)
I would like to have multi-touch support in CC if you've got multi-touch capable hardware (I've got a multi-touch tablet for my Mine-crafting), but I know that's asking a bit much. So instead, how about "mouse_down", "mouse_move", and "mouse_up" events, like in Adobe Actionsript so you can detect things like dragging (although you can already kind of detect that, but not well or accurately), and find out where the mouse cursor is even when the user isn't clicking the button. Also, sideways scrolling support would be nice.

17. Clip board support (^)
Just wanted to 'paste' this on to the bottom (bad joke). Pretty much goes without explanation. Minecraft chat's got it now, so I'm now always finding myself holding shift while pressing left and right in 'read()' boxes and then remembering that CC has no clip board integration.

And… You're finally done reading! In all seriousness though, pretty much the only reason I don't just do #4 myself is laziness. I could probably have it done by the end of the week, but keeping Minecraft mods up to date is like working in C#; PAINFULL. Speaking of which, I've got some C# and Cocoa based iOS app making to do, after all those augmented reality goggles (i.e. holding your phone to your face to like a dork) aren't going to code themselves, so I'll see you later! (hey, maybe that's another CC sugge… nah.)
Edited on 12 April 2014 - 01:48 AM
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:07 AM
1. The difference between many other posts (to all forums in general) and this one is that I can actually spell correctly, and use periods.
In what country is this correct spelling?

4. If you don't want to waste your time, your on the wrong internet.
you're*

1. 3D Models (~)
Doesn't add much gain.

2. Better Sprites (^)
changing the quality of just one set of items would look strange, if you were to change it you'd change them all, then they'll all look out of place with the rest of Minecraft and the mods, just use a custom/high-res texture pack.

you yourself have said that these always get suggested, maybe if you take some time out of — what seems like a lot of time on your hands — and actually read those threads, you'd see why this suggestion is constantly declined. Also there is a peripheral mod that does this, its called CCLights2, its very resource intensive and doesn't work well on servers, the major factor behind ComputerCraft's design choice.

I don't quite understand what you're trying to get at with this one… are you trying to say you want the current screen rendered onto the icon as well?

6. The CC Cellphone (~~, I guess?)

Changing names is pointless. Also in the new CC there are new repeater Rednet features to get more range out of wireless communications.

7. Now In YOUR Choice of COLOR! (#)
Makes the differentiation between normal and advanced difficult.

8. Turtle Vision (#)
two words: OpenPeripheral Sensor

9. Pocket PC Improvements: Finger Print Reader (#)

…Just read the discussion on the other thread…

10. Pocket PC Improvements: Oh, you know this was getting mentioned SOMEWHERE! (Insane (ly hard to code) to the extreme = !!)
there are some camera peripheral mods out there, but you keep trying to make this too modern, ComputerCraft is not meant to reflect modern computers!

11. Why fuel? It's the modern age! (~)
Cars use fuel… This is not the 21st century, this is Minecraft… There are mods like MiscPeripherals that add a charge station to the world so you can charge up your Turtles from IC2 and BC energy.

13. Quite Simple Really (^) -floppy disk stuff-
I do decree that you should try shift-right-clicking before making suggestions

14. Pocket PC Improvements: Power Loss Timeout (^, mostly for the config option)
okay I don't mind this one.

15. Pocket PC Improvements: Rotating The World (~)
this could be okay, there are term_resize events now, so any good program should respond to those, making this suggestion viable. Well except for the 'home' and 'back' buttons.

16. Mouse Event Revamp (^)
well if you'd like to go ahead and read all those various threads people have already made, you'd see that mouse down/up/move as well as key up/down events are simply just not viable in a multi-user environment.

hey, maybe that's another CC sugge… nah.
3 words: OpenPeripheral Terminal Glasses.

(&) = This feature would be nice, but it's really not that important.
You never actually used an ampersand…
Edited on 12 April 2014 - 02:08 AM
Pecacheu #3
Posted 12 April 2014 - 06:35 AM
In what country is this correct spelling?
In Amiryca, of course!

you're*
Dang Office Word spell checker. It always messes up compound words.

changing the quality of just one set of items would look strange, if you were to change it you'd change them all, then they'll all look out of place with the rest of Minecraft and the mods, just use a custom/high-res texture pack.
True, however the texture for the Pocket PCs already looks a bit out-of-place, and the texture I made was just double resolution to give a little bit more detail and an above-screen indicator, while keeping the same color scheme, not something like Misa or R3D Craft, that has "realistic" textures.

you yourself have said that these always get suggested, maybe if you take some time out of — what seems like a lot of time on your hands — and actually read those threads, you'd see why this suggestion is constantly declined. Also there is a peripheral mod that does this, its called CCLights2, its very resource intensive and doesn't work well on servers, the major factor behind ComputerCraft's design choice.
This is a good point. It has been done in Java before, high-res (1920x1080) and real time rendered virtual displays, all within a 3D environment, but it takes lots of code, and tons of time, not to mention the great 3D engine that they were using. So it really is a bit unrealistic, however something low like 320 by 240 can be handled at around 5 fps while performing numerous other tasks with virtually no lag on a cheap 50 cent AVR microcontroller, running in C, and a better 8 dollar one can do it at 20 fps and 480 by 320. So I'm sure that Java, even running at 1/8 of the speed of C, as it often does, could handle this even better, even the 30 or so that might be running at the same time on a server. As far as the Lua end, as far as I've been able to tell, Lua runs at pretty much full-speed of Java in CC. And… Yeah, I just went off on a random tangent again.

I don't quite understand what you're trying to get at with this one… are you trying to say you want the current screen rendered onto the icon as well?

Yep! However, I've actually never tried anything like that in my modding experiences, but I'm sure it's possible.

Changing names is pointless. Also in the new CC there are new repeater Rednet features to get more range out of wireless communications.

The idea would be a network, more susceptible to weather, only directly usable by phones, able to stream audio with no serialization, super-long distance, and with big towers that can be spaced out really far apart, and that work (to some extent) without programming. However, I concede your point on pointless naming, and as such, I have another, more "practical" suggestion. Computers are "A", Advanced Computers are "B", regular turtles are "C", and so on, since names don't matter. Besides, it'll save space!

Makes the differentiation between normal and advanced difficult.
Part of the Pocket PC would still be visible, or all of it for semi-transparent cases. And that is my mistake to make, as a case-user, is it not?

two words: OpenPeripheral Sensor
'Kay. I'm satisfied on the turtle front.

…Just read the discussion on the other thread…
Ah yes, here is a good point about the subject:
Novel? Maybe. Useful? Yes, but it's "too" useful - having such an easy method of identifying players means that scripters are left with no such need to code such methods themselves.
The player detector block does effectively the same thing as this, for those who want it.

there are some camera peripheral mods out there, but you keep trying to make this too modern, ComputerCraft is not meant to reflect modern computers!
Indeed, and I do enjoy such novelties as: Ye Oldie Flying Future Robot, Super-Fast Computer Running A Compiler That Would Be Considered Smart Beyond Belief Just A Few Years Ago, and of course, the joy of holding that classic ultra-thick and B&W VFC based thin and touch-screen cellular device.They even communicate using wired 10-base-T slow Ethernet high-speed Wireless protocols.

Cars use fuel… This is not the 21st century, this is Minecraft… There are mods like MiscPeripherals that add a charge station to the world so you can charge up your Turtles from IC2 and BC energy.
Last I checked, Minecraft was made in the 21st century, it is the 21st century, Q-Craft wont be getting time travel because scientists haven't been able to find a way to reverse time even with quantum mechanics, and the point was it would be nice as the main "energy mechanic" unless changed in the config, not as some expansion. Also, I'm going to be getting an electric vehicle as my first car.

I do decree that you should try shift-right-clicking before making suggestions
Indeed I have, however the idea is that it would not require shift, as clicking with nothing in hand would not perform any action. As things stand at present, shift-clicking does not:
1. Remove an item from the drive
2. Insert a Music Disk into the drive
3. Swap the item in hand for the one in the drive.

well if you'd like to go ahead and read all those various threads people have already made, you'd see that mouse down/up/move as well as key up/down events are simply just not viable in a multi-user environment.
Quite so, I can't imagine what Adobe did to solve the problem…
Meanwhile at Adobe Incorporated:
Person 1: "Hey! Lets add 'mouse_up', '_down', and '_move' events to Actionscript!"
Person 2: "Great Idea!"
Person 3: "But sir, whatever will we do about our muti-user environments?"
Person 2: "Well duh. The famous 'event identification' method. Each mouse down gets assigned the lowest number available starting at 1, and following mouse movements get the same ID until mouse up. No ID is needed when mouse is not down for most purposes, so it gets ID 0, unless you want to assign IDs when a user enters the Adobe Media Server [or clicks on the computer block in CC]."
Person 1: "Why that's genius! Congratulations, you're promoted!"
Okay well that last one probably didn't happen.

You never actually used an ampersand…
Oh yeah… I actually took that one out, because it was even more pointless than the finger-print reader idea.
Edited on 12 April 2014 - 04:40 AM
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:18 AM
This is a good point. It has been done in Java before, high-res (1920x1080) and real time rendered virtual displays, all within a 3D environment, but it takes lots of code, and tons of time, not to mention the great 3D engine that they were using. So it really is a bit unrealistic, however something low like 320 by 240 can be handled at around 5 fps while performing numerous other tasks with virtually no lag on a cheap 50 cent AVR microcontroller, running in C, and a better 8 dollar one can do it at 20 fps and 480 by 320. So I'm sure that Java, even running at 1/8 of the speed of C, as it often does, could handle this even better, even the 30 or so that might be running at the same time on a server. As far as the Lua end, as far as I've been able to tell, Lua runs at pretty much full-speed of Java in CC. And… Yeah, I just went off on a random tangent again.
I'm not even going to get started on the ramifications of resource intensive entities on a Client/Server game architecture. Also you have to remember not everyone uses only ComputerCraft (I'm sure you yourself use more), in fact most people I know use FTB Monster and what's that now, 220 mods or something, needless to say, server TPS takes enough of a hit as it is already, without adding hi-res monitors into the mix. Oh and you're also forgetting about the network bandwidth impact this would cause, sending all the updates out, especially with the standard knowledge most players have about efficient programming!

-Sprite Technology snip-
Yep! However, I've actually never tried anything like that in my modding experiences, but I'm sure it's possible.
Computationally expensive for no gain, unless you plan on somehow allowing interaction, what's the point of being able to see the screen.

-multi-user environment smart____ rant-
well actually instead of an ID it would be much better to use the players username, as there are several use cases where the ID could become painful. however that being said it would require a large overhaul of a system that's currently working. I'd much prefer dan fix other problems and work on other features over this, for example state resuming.
Pecacheu #5
Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:46 AM
Computationally expensive for no gain, unless you plan on somehow allowing interaction, what's the point of being able to see the screen.
Stop taking it so seriously, it's a game. NOTHING has any gain, not even mods like IC2 and Buildcraft. You're not actually powering anything with all that energy. The only purpose is fun! Fun to play, fun to mod, fun to hack (well, for the hackers, at least). I did make a hack once… I used on my friends server, it was an okay hack…

well actually instead of an ID it would be much better to use the players username, as there are several use cases where the ID could become painful. however that being said it would require a large overhaul of a system that's currently working. I'd much prefer dan fix other problems and work on other features over this, for example state resuming.
Maybe add it to the "upcoming features" list, which PDAs were on for quite some time. A good time for something like that would be when the Modding API comes out, and Dan2000 might have to practically rewrite the mod from scratch. Also, it's pretty easy to modify "startup" (or "shell") to automatically resume states at power-on. It works pretty well, but not always, depending on your program. (I also added a command to prevent exiting the program, by restarting the computer if you try anything to get out. The only way out is the program letting you out, or modifying the file-system outside of Minecraft.)
Cranium #6
Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:07 AM
In regards to the "power" requirement, yeah…that's not going to happen…You can already use the chargepads for turtles if you want "modern" power. If you want power requirement on computers, check out OpenComputers. It's pretty much an unapologetic clone of ComputerCraft, but you actually have to build your computer. They're about the realism, we're about the programming.

And the screen being changed in hand? It actually would be more trouble than it's worth. Not only do you have to render it for the person holding it, but for all players within the area. So a rapidly changing screen would not only cause lag for you, but for that other player nest to you, and the next one, and the next one, et cetera.

Maybe add it to the "upcoming features" list, which PDAs were on for quite some time. A good time for something like that would be when the Modding API comes out, and Dan2000 might have to practically rewrite the mod from scratch. Also, it's pretty easy to modify "startup" (or "shell") to automatically resume states at power-on. It works pretty well, but not always, depending on your program. (I also added a command to prevent exiting the program, by restarting the computer if you try anything to get out. The only way out is the program letting you out, or modifying the file-system outside of Minecraft.)
As stated NUMEROUS times by both Dan and Cloudy, key up/down and mouse up/down will not happen. It would require way too much overhead to have the server remember who clicked last, if there's a new click, and not only do that for computers, but monitors as well. It's just…not happening.
Edited on 13 April 2014 - 06:11 AM
Bomb Bloke #7
Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:15 AM
As stated NUMEROUS times by both Dan and Cloudy, key up/down and mouse up/down will not happen. It would require way too much overhead to have the server remember who clicked last, if there's a new click, and not only do that for computers, but monitors as well. It's just…not happening.

The trick to those issues would be to handle it the way Windows seems to handle it… by not bothering to track those things.
Cranium #8
Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:17 AM
If I recall correctly, Dan did say that if he found a good way to implement it, he would like to add that feature, but it would only be added "on a whim" if you will, and is not a planned feature.
Cranium #9
Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:25 AM
Oh, and you can already use the clipboard in game. It is limited however, just like old computers were, that if your clipboard buffer is rather large, you're only going to get a small amount of it pasted.
Csstform #10
Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:35 PM
Also, wernt PDA's on the 'not gonna be added ever' list? You make it sould like they were a planned feature.
Bomb Bloke #11
Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:32 PM
Do you mean the "stop suggesting this" list? That's a bit different…

… where did that sticky go?!
theoriginalbit #12
Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:45 PM
Also, wernt PDA's on the 'not gonna be added ever' list? You make it sould like they were a planned feature.
they were actually on the 'coming at some point' list.