This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
TurtleHunter's profile picture

New Computer peripheral function

Started by TurtleHunter, 17 April 2014 - 12:09 AM
TurtleHunter #1
Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:09 AM
If you can turn on and off, reboot and get the id of a computer, why you cant write text to the shell.

This can be useful for a program that place another computer and needs to program it. Now the only way is putting everything on a floppy disk that creates the files on the other computer, but why not creating the files within the turtle?

It can be called computer.writeToShell(str) and can be disabled in the config(enabled by default)

sorry for my bad english, its late and english its not my native language
theoriginalbit #2
Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:15 AM
nope, use modems to send messages and act on the accordingly. The main reason this would not work is the shell is a program, so what happens if I make my computer not run the shell.
TurtleHunter #3
Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:53 AM
nope, use modems to send messages and act on the accordingly. The main reason this would not work is the shell is a program, so what happens if I make my computer not run the shell.
But if you have just placed that computer and you want that function to write the programs?
theoriginalbit #4
Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:35 AM
But if you have just placed that computer and you want that function to write the programs?
writing programs is different to writing to the shell. writing programs would be even less likely! I can think of a 3 line program which has nothing but malicious intent. Allowing file writing directly to a computer has way too high of a risk. Use a Disk Drive and startup disk instead.
Cranium #5
Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:02 AM
Indeed, if you need specific programs or code run on a newly placed computer from a turtle, use a disk drive with a startup file modifying the files in the computer.
Sebra #6
Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:43 PM
It have no sense to write to specific program. You should suggest to use keyboard/mouse input of nearby computer. And may be ability to check it's screen content. Then you would be able to program rest yourself.