This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Csstform's profile picture

TButlers Inc.

Started by Csstform, 18 April 2014 - 12:54 PM
Csstform #1
Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:54 PM
What would you like to see in your turtle butler? Tell me what you want down below. (Inspired by NitrogenFingers)
MineFarms #2
Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:19 PM
1. You could tell it any command and it would do it for you.
2. It would work with terminal glasses and pocket computers.
Csstform #3
Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:35 PM
1. You could tell it any command and it would do it for you.
2. It would work with terminal glasses and pocket computers.
1. I'm not going to program in every possible thing it can do. More specification please.
2. It will work with PDAs, I don't think I'll do the terminal glasses, as they arn't too widely used.
awsmazinggenius #4
Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:42 PM
Works like Siri (but with typing) where you can say anything, and it understands English, not a predefined list of commands. Would be nice, but I don't think it's gonna happen. Also an API for other apps (so, for example, I could hook in and say "Run the script SomeScript.lua on SomeImage.cci in Image Shack" for it to run the script (though that is a lame example, I would do something like "3D Print my file SomeModel.ccm because that uses the Turtle. ))

Edit: damn ninja. Also, term glasses are really nice, because you can use them (essentially) as computers that are always on your HUD.
Edit 2: advanced turtle support!
Edited on 18 April 2014 - 03:44 PM
Csstform #5
Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:15 PM
Works like Siri (but with typing) where you can say anything, and it understands English, not a predefined list of commands. Would be nice, but I don't think it's gonna happen. Also an API for other apps (so, for example, I could hook in and say "Run the script SomeScript.lua on SomeImage.cci in Image Shack" for it to run the script (though that is a lame example, I would do something like "3D Print my file SomeModel.ccm because that uses the Turtle. ))

Edit: damn ninja. Also, term glasses are really nice, because you can use them (essentially) as computers that are always on your HUD.
Edit 2: advanced turtle support!
Siri could be fun. I could try something like that. And if you really want, I'll look into using terminal glasses, I dont really care for them.
Wojbie #6
Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:32 PM
One in Gogol chance it will go haywire and start dancing :D/>
Csstform #7
Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:39 PM
One in Gogol chance it will go haywire and start dancing :D/>/>
….heh we will see.
awsmazinggenius #8
Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:57 PM
What about the API? That's the thing I wanna see most, along with an advanced turtle gui.
Csstform #9
Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:36 PM
What about the API? That's the thing I wanna see most, along with an advanced turtle gui.
Like, a plugin system? I can probably manage that.
awsmazinggenius #10
Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:41 AM
If a "plugin" is something that adds commands like "3D-Print the file SomeModel.ccm in Architect" (Creative Craft Architect is modeling/3D printing software for CC/OC), yes.
CometWolf #11
Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:49 AM
So you went with architect anyways? :P/> Sounds like what awsmazinggenius is after is just a command line that acts like CraftOs. Ie able to run other programs aswell as the butler commands.
1lann #12
Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:39 PM
Can build from a schematic file (joebodo has a program that does that).
Can automatically find, and chop down trees in a forest, then replant the saplings.
When idle, automatically quarries to find resources.
Csstform #13
Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:11 PM
Can build from a schematic file (joebodo has a program that does that).
Can automatically find, and chop down trees in a forest, then replant the saplings.
When idle, automatically quarries to find resources.
Alright. I'm going to try and do this without making the user set up a GPS system, so I'll get back to you on this one. I have an idea of how I can do it, but now promises. The schematic /should/ be fairly straightforward. Also the quarry.

EDIT: starting work! http://csstform.github.io/TButler-Inc
Edited on 19 April 2014 - 11:40 PM
Csstform #14
Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:17 AM
Alright, tell me what you think of this site I pulled together. If you watch it, I will keep you updated on what I am currently working on. Also, if you want to help, feel free to send a pull request - GitHub is your friiend. I will post updates, I want further ideas, and will work on an API to allow easy outside command/stuff adding.

http://csstform.github.io/TButler-Inc
awsmazinggenius #15
Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:51 PM
Too many projects, but sent you a PR. Any idea how the API will be structured? My API (well, a portion of it anyways, the part of the API that you can use in an app to render Creative Craft files) kinda works like this (subject to massive change, but this is how it is at the moment)

-- Load (well, run a file that loads) the Creative Craft API as a table into the global environment.
shell.run(".creativecraft/loadAPI.lua")
-- Get the content of the .cci file. We can also open it directly with Creative Craft, but there is also a method that accepts a string, so, yeah.
local h = fs.open("someImage.cci", "r")
local file = h.readAll()
h.close()
-- Creative Craft files are tables that are serialized and compressed, decompress the string we took from that file
local image = CreativeCraft.helpers.decompress(file)
-- Render the image at 1, 1
CreativeCraft.renderer.render(image)

-- There was a one line way of doing this, too, however.
CreativeCraft.renderer.renderFile("someimage.cci")
In the way that functionality is sorted into several tables because there are too many functions to keep it all in the big CreativeCraft table neatly.
Edited on 20 April 2014 - 09:52 PM
Csstform #16
Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:43 AM
Eeeh. Cant garantee anything solid yet, but I'm thinking something like this:

addonName = {"command" = pathToProgram, etc...}
Then, I'll just have the butler find the program when called.
Csstform #17
Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:17 PM
Alright: API update. Im starting work on the command sturcture, and am setting it up to be like Siri. It's going to be a smart system, figuring out the best way to do things, figure out what you mean if unclear/unkown command, and maybe other things. So, the way im going to implement the API is when I load the possible commands, it will also load the plugin, I also plan on using tables to do this. More info as it comes along. Thoughts? Comments?
awsmazinggenius #18
Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:21 AM
I think when you are finished this you might want to make an actual website rather then use the GitHub Pages generator.
Csstform #19
Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:32 AM
I think when you are finished this you might want to make an actual website rather then use the GitHub Pages generator.
Yeah, learning HTML is on my to-do-very-soon list.
wilcomega #20
Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:22 PM
definatly siri, you can just type in your PDA "Please destory my friends house" or "Get me a beer son!" "could you please make me some bread from farm1?"
it would always answer and report how tasks are going, if mis-interperated and detected it will ask a question about the task
  • Siri
  • Advanced support
  • Server system for more than 1 turtle
  • API for extending the possibilities
Csstform #21
Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:11 PM
definatly siri, you can just type in your PDA "Please destory my friends house" or "Get me a beer son!" "could you please make me some bread from farm1?"
it would always answer and report how tasks are going, if mis-interperated and detected it will ask a question about the task
  • Siri
  • Advanced support
  • Server system for more than 1 turtle
  • API for extending the possibilities
Yeah, that's pretty much what I am going for. I will most likely get a multi-turtle system going, but first I want to get it working with a single turtle.
awsmazinggenius #22
Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:24 PM
To make a decent website, you will usually want to know HTML, CSS and sometimes (well, most of the time) JavaScript. Or, you could use a framework like Bootstrap, which is what I am using for my current project, and use simple HTML markup as well as minimal CSS and JS. Bootstrap is by Twitter, and can be found at http://getbootstrap.com/ . I used the Coder's Guide tutorials, which you can find by searching up "Bootstrap 3 Tutorial" on YouTube.
Csstform #23
Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:37 PM
Alright, I have the first build pushed to GitHub! Please review, and fix, and give me input!
Csstform #24
Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:03 PM
UPDATE: It's been a while, but I've still been working on this off and on, I finally got Siri working! Just a few more tweaks, and your butler will be able to sift through default and custom-made commands, and figure out what you want! I also have a basic tool/inventory system set up, no need to worry about rednet being on, ect. I am now working on the pathing, and have a fairly cood idea of how I'm going to accomplish said pathing. I plan on not having the user set up a GPS system, so it was a tad tricky figuring it out, but I think I have it. I'll upload the latest build to github later.