This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
MatthewGB's profile picture

Nuke-OS

Started by MatthewGB, 02 May 2014 - 08:56 PM
MatthewGB #1
Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:56 PM
Nuke-OS is an operating system for turtles and advanced computers. I made a WIP manual here: http://pastebin.com/V9nnjA1y , and the download for the installer is here: http://pastebin.com/FxGEgJG0 . Nuke-OS is an OS that needs to be powered by redstone. The computer won't run if it runs out of battery. Placing a redstone torch directly adjacent to the computer will charge the battery. The amount of battery left is stored in a file, so replacing the computer will keep the charge. A label is given to the computer every tick saying "Nuke-OS ID:"+IdOfComputer+" Btry: "+BatteryLeft+"/"+MaxBattery(Which is currently 20000). Once it has charge you can start using it's various programs, which is made up of games and tools. Note that some tools only work with mods, such as Immibis's Peripherals most notably. If theres anything you want me to add to the OS just post below :)/>
Screenshot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0g0payi2sisztv/Pic1.JPG
Bagel:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvhqgu7dgt3f8xz/Plain-Bagel.jpg?m=
Edited on 04 May 2014 - 10:47 AM
Saldor010 #2
Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:16 AM
Just wondering, but why did you add a complicated and unnecessary battery system to this?
oeed #3
Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:21 AM
It's a nice idea to have a charge, I can see this becoming a ROM modification for servers.
Wojbie #4
Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:21 PM
Interesting concept. Does the power drain stay the same all the time or is it variable depending on program used?
oeed #5
Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:35 PM
Interesting concept. Does the power drain stay the same all the time or is it variable depending on program used?

That'd be cool, you could probably measure it based on time between yields or something like that.
awsmazinggenius #6
Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:23 PM
The issue I see with redstone though is that all it takes to "power" your computer is a stick and a piece of cobble.
Saldor010 #7
Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:07 PM
The issue I see with redstone though is that all it takes to "power" your computer is a stick and a piece of cobble.

Or you could just change your computer label to "Nuke-OS ID:"+IdOfComputer+" Btry:100000000+1000000000000000"
Wojbie #8
Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:14 PM
Or use Anvil to set name :D/> Charging computer with a hammer!!
Abelatox #9
Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:26 PM
One question ,why did you call your Os Nuke-OS?
Agoldfish #10
Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:55 AM
One question ,why did you call your Os Nuke-OS?
Maybe cause the power required to use it? I dunno.
MatthewGB #11
Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:41 AM
@Jiloacom Thought it would be intrsting to try out

@wojbie charges at 4/tick and loses 1/tick when on main GUI. Note that a lower server TPS means that it uses less battery.

@awsmazinggenius I might change it so it needs more redstone. Before saying that did you think about the other OSes that don't even need redstone?

@Abelatox It's an awful name, I need to change it at some point.
Abelatox #12
Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:05 AM
I asked it because the Os I was making it's also called NukeOS XD
MatthewGB #13
Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:38 PM
Exactly why I need to change the name; there's like 100 OSes called Nuke-OS. You should change the name too.
Saldor010 #14
Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:25 PM
@Jiloacom Thought it would be intrsting to try out

Can't argue with that. ;)/>

@awsmazinggenius I might change it so it needs more redstone. Before saying that did you think about the other OSes that don't even need redstone?

How are you going to change it so that it needs more redstone? Are you going to make it so that it needs redstone from all sides? (Crafts 5 more levers) Also, no, no other Operating Systems include a battery life. Why do they not include a battery life? Because all they would be doing is adding a clunky, complicated disadvantage when their is no need for something like that.
CptBlank #15
Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:53 PM
Should i add RAM Usage to the coming soon BlankOS
so if you just launch random programs without shutting down some of them it crashes
apemanzilla #16
Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:37 PM
so if you just launch random programs without shutting down some of them it crashes
You're trying to make this too realistic. If you want RAM, battery, and such, take a look at Open Computers - a different mod - which actually implements these things.
CptBlank #17
Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:47 PM
I acutally did………. but its tottaly different than CC and i couldnt even make a simple HelloWorld program
I prefer CC over all computer mods.
Btw.i just asked if other ppl would like that.Else i would make an task manager so you can crash the os (For some fun)
Saldor010 #18
Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

… That's another clunky, complicated, and unnecessary disadvantage.
Lignum #19
Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:03 PM
… That's another clunky, complicated, and unnecessary disadvantage.

Think of it as a challenge. Minecraft is all about making things with the disadvantage of not having infinite resources (unless you're in creative mode, obviously).
———————————

You could use redstone.getAnalogInput() to determine the charging speed. In addition to that you can use textutils.formatTime() to display the time properly.
cdel #20
Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:08 PM
guys stop putting down people and their ideas, they're brilliant and amazing concepts
Abelatox #21
Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:29 PM
What? more than 2 NukeOS?
omg