This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Saldor010's profile picture

Computer Light

Started by Saldor010, 03 May 2014 - 06:18 PM
Saldor010 #1
Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:18 PM
My suggestion is that when a computer is turned on, it should emit light. I think it would make Computers much more realistic. Now I'm not saying Computers should be a substitute for torches (however, it would be kind of cool to work in the dark, by the dim light of the computer screen :ph34r:/> ), but maybe just have it emit a light of 5 or 6. It probably wouldn't be too hard to implement.
Agoldfish #2
Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:39 AM
Light level of a Redstone torch would be good for me.
Saldor010 #3
Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:58 AM
Light level of a Redstone torch would be good for me.

That sounds good to me.
oeed #4
Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:36 AM
This has sorta been made before, although about monitors, http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/15568-light-from-monitoradvanced-monitor/page__hl__light__fromsearch__1

But yes, I think it makes sense.
awsmazinggenius #5
Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:01 AM
From the old topic, which I'm not gonna bump, I don't think there should be a Redstone lamp in the recipe, because that makes it so you need to go to the Nether to use Monitors with only vanilla CC, and users are more likely to use them if they are accessible early on in survival rather then after they get to the nether.
Agoldfish #6
Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:02 AM
From the old topic, which I'm not gonna bump, I don't think there should be a Redstone lamp in the recipe, because that makes it so you need to go to the Nether to use Monitors with only vanilla CC, and users are more likely to use them if they are accessible early on in survival rather then after they get to the nether.
We posted at the same time. O.o
And it has to be on when it emits light.
Edited on 04 May 2014 - 02:02 AM
logsys #7
Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:59 AM
You are right.. but redstone torches emit light.. what the crafting of computer has? Redstone!
Saldor010 #8
Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:50 PM
I never said anything about adding a lamp to the recipe, I just said that computers should emit a dim light.
Agoldfish #9
Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:53 PM
I never said anything about adding a lamp to the recipe, I just said that computers should emit a dim light.
It's in the old post that was linked.
Saldor010 #10
Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:18 PM
It's in the old post that was linked.

Well If people could please stop trying to compare/combine this suggestion with that old suggestion please.
Wojbie #11
Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:13 AM
Its basically same suggestion. Why not compare it?
Saldor010 #12
Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:26 PM
Its basically same suggestion. Why not compare it?

Because I don't think we should add a redstone lamp to the recipe. That's why we should not compare it.

Just wondering, are we allowed to bump posts? And if so, how often?
Lyqyd #13
Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:11 PM
No. You are allowed to add good, useful, relevant content. You are not allowed to post on a topic with the purpose of moving it to the top of the recent topics list.

You shouldn't really be surprised if people compare this suggestion to earlier iterations of the suggestion, since this has been suggested a fair few times. It's perfectly fine to compare the various points of each iteration of the general suggestion, as if the feature were to be implemented, one would want the best possible version of the suggestion to be included.
MatthewGB #14
Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:07 AM
I agree with this idea. Making the computer emit light would be very easy.
viluon #15
Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:22 PM
My suggestion is that when a computer is turned on, it should emit light. I think it would make Computers much more realistic. Now I'm not saying Computers should be a substitute for torches (however, it would be kind of cool to work in the dark, by the dim light of the computer screen :ph34r:/>/> ), but maybe just have it emit a light of 5 or 6. It probably wouldn't be too hard to implement.
viluon supports this
Geforce Fan #16
Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:55 AM
Yeah, this definitely makes sense. It would be cool to program in the dark with only the dim light of the computer monitor… I should know!
Saldor010 #17
Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:20 PM
I wish Dan would look at this and give us his opinion.
Lua.is.the.best #18
Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:47 AM
All you really need to do is put a redstone lamp on the left of your computer and put a one-liner into startup:
rs.setOutput("left", true)
cptdeath58 #19
Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:44 AM
All you really need to do is put a redstone lamp on the left of your computer and put a one-liner into startup:
True but some people don't like the nether >.>
On Topic:

term.clear()
term.setCursorPos(1,1)
term.write( "I like this, +1 Support" )
idea.addSupport( "cptdeath58" )
In other words, +1
Edited on 10 June 2014 - 12:44 AM
Saldor010 #20
Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:58 AM

If we're going to do that, we might as well just place a torch on the computer. Or just keep doing what we're doing. :mellow:/>
Dog #21
Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:33 AM
<snip>

If we're going to do that, we might as well just place a torch on the computer. Or just keep doing what we're doing. :mellow:/>

Agreed. In addition to Computers, I'd also like monitors to give off light (as was previously mentioned) - being unable to read a monitor in a dark room is less than optimal.
AlkamlBan #22
Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:21 PM
It would also make sence if the light that got emmited became more tense based on how many pixels are colored and how close they are to white. So a white screen mabe would emmit 6 and a black like…0 or 0,5… I dunno, just saying