This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Lignum's profile picture

Doc v1.2 - The CC wiki in-game

Started by Lignum, 04 May 2014 - 06:10 PM
Lignum #1
Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:10 PM
Doc v1.2

This program allows its users to view the ComputerCraft wiki without leaving the game.
Doc displaying the documentation for os.run

Features:
Doc is able to download the documentation for any of ComputerCraft's functions and display it in an organised manner. It also has the ability to view an API's available functions.

Download:
You can download the program via pastebin:

pastebin get fWThHpmE doc

Usage:
The syntax is quite simple:

doc <api/func> <name>

Here's some examples:

// Shows the available functions in the term API.
doc api term

// Shows the documentation for rednet.open.
doc func rednet.open
Edited on 07 May 2014 - 04:41 PM
MKlegoman357 #2
Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:43 PM
Wow! This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen (for CC)! I thought you just copy-pasted all docs but you did use real documentation. Now to add a full wiki explorer…
Thegameboy #3
Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:06 PM
Really neat, nice. If you're planning on going all-out on this program, you could always just make a scroll function to be able to add more data. Or you could just add different "pages", and be able to go through them, kind of like what the Minecraft "help" command lets you do. Nevertheless, this could become a very helpful tool; I'm excited to see what comes out of it!
oeed #4
Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:47 PM
This is really awesome!

But yea, scrolling would be cool.
awsmazinggenius #5
Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:51 PM
How about color support for highlighting, like this: table envVars, …
Lignum #6
Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:10 PM
Really neat, nice. If you're planning on going all-out on this program, you could always just make a scroll function to be able to add more data. Or you could just add different "pages", and be able to go through them, kind of like what the Minecraft "help" command lets you do. Nevertheless, this could become a very helpful tool; I'm excited to see what comes out of it!
Thanks! Scrolling would make the program code a bit more complicated but it's definitely worth it, so I'll be working on that soon as well as further documentation on events etc.

How about color support for highlighting, like this: table envVars, …
Once I've added scrolling, this will be added.
viluon #7
Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:04 PM
Great, was thinking about that but didn't have the time :D/>
Lignum #8
Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:56 PM
Version 1.1 is released!:
  • Added scrolling.
  • Added colour highlighting.
Yep, that's it. Not much but it was a pain to make, so for me that's enough.
MKlegoman357 #9
Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:06 PM
Version 1.1 is released!:
  • Added scrolling.
  • Added colour highlighting.
Yep, that's it. Not much but it was a pain to make, so for me that's enough.

This is amazing! I wouldn't stop until it would have enough features. Currently it's operated by command line interface, why not make a GUI? Event documentation would be nice to have. Also, what about examples in API function pages? Do you think you could add those? Well, whatever you'll do, this is still a great program.
Lignum #10
Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:11 PM
This is amazing! I wouldn't stop until it would have enough features. Currently it's operated by command line interface, why not make a GUI? Event documentation would be nice to have. Also, what about examples in API function pages? Do you think you could add those? Well, whatever you'll do, this is still a great program.
I intended the program to run on any computer. Not just advanced computers. Since regular computers don't have mouse support, we would be restricted to keyboard-only controls. And that takes away the whole point of having a GUI, doesn't it? Examples and documentation about things other than functions are planned. I'm not sure how well the code snippets would work out however. I'll work on it tomorrow, so we'll see how it turns out.
viluon #11
Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:18 PM
Good luck then!
MKlegoman357 #12
Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:24 PM
I intended the program to run on any computer. Not just advanced computers. Since regular computers don't have mouse support, we would be restricted to keyboard-only controls. And that takes away the whole point of having a GUI, doesn't it?

No it wouldn't, how do you think CC looked before advanced computers appeared? Whole OSes were made entirely with ASCII art. Take a look at Lyqyq OS or my RedFile for an example of how programs are still operable without color or mouse support.
Edited on 05 May 2014 - 05:24 PM
Lignum #13
Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:41 PM
Good luck then!
Thanks, I'm going to need it!

No it wouldn't, how do you think CC looked before advanced computers appeared? Whole OSes were made entirely with ASCII art. Take a look at Lyqyq OS or my RedFile for an example of how programs are still operable without color or mouse support.
Well, yes but the GUI has to be kept simple to work well with the keyboard.
A GUI would require another rewrite of the interface but I think I have an idea.
Lignum #14
Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:45 PM
Updated to Version 1.2:

- Changed GUI to be fancier.
- Added code examples.
- Fixed a bug with spaces in coloured text.
- Commented the code a little bit more.

Spoiler

Enjoy!
Edited on 07 May 2014 - 07:03 PM
Geforce Fan #15
Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:57 AM
Mind if I try to port this to Sapphari? It's an HTTP internet browser that uses pastebin. It would require a bit of modification because I'd need to add a menu that would replace arguments, then add a way back to the menu. I'd make sure to give you credit. It would allow people to use this really easily, and hopefully make it popular as I'll list it as a "cool site" on the homepage.
Lignum #16
Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:26 PM
Mind if I try to port this to Sapphari? It's an HTTP internet browser that uses pastebin. It would require a bit of modification because I'd need to add a menu that would replace arguments, then add a way back to the menu. I'd make sure to give you credit. It would allow people to use this really easily, and hopefully make it popular as I'll list it as a "cool site" on the homepage.
Sorry for the late reply but yes, you have full permission.