This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
kla_sch's profile picture

Control passive cooled Big Reactors

Started by kla_sch, 06 May 2014 - 10:52 AM
kla_sch #1
Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:52 PM
Hello,

i have created a short program to control my passive cooled Big Reactor (http://big-reactors.com). It tries to set all control rods according the energy consumption. If monitors are connected directly or with a wired modem, they will show some basic informations of the reactor state (work state, control rod and cell energy).

[indent=1]Source[/indent]
[indent=1]Longer description and install instructions[/indent]

I hope, my poor English skill is not too annoying.

Have fun, kla_sch

[attachment=1846:2014-08-11_21.45.43_resize.jpg]
Edited on 11 August 2014 - 06:55 PM
weedenbc #2
Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:18 PM
Hi. Just started using your script and I really like it. Nice job.

Question - is there an easy way to modify it to control more than one reactor? I have two passively cooled 7x7x7 reactors sitting side by side. Right now I have a separate computer and monitor running their own version of your program attached to each. Photo:

kla_sch #3
Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:12 AM
Hi,

what are the objectives of a control program with two reactors?

The objectives my little control program where:
a) Set the control pod levels according the energy demand. No more manual rod level optimizing an huge buffer cells to avoid energy blackouts.
B)/> Simple status monitor at all my working areas, to keep an eye on current energy consumption state.

The question is, what is your goal with two or more reactors? Use only one computer? Use only one monitor network? Switch second reactor on-line, if the first is below critical energy mark? Synchronize both reactors to same energy levels? What status informations the monitors should show?

To answer your question i have to know, how the reactors should act together.

Have fun, kla_sch
Hansbald #4
Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:52 PM
Hey, I use: CC 1.6
OpenPeripheralCore-0.4.0
OpenPeripheralAddons-0.1.4

and I always get no reactor found :/
Ofcourse the PC is on a Computer port…

Nervmind needed to update BigReactors…
Great programm I use it :)/>
Edited on 24 May 2014 - 07:12 PM
Dex_Luther #5
Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:49 AM
I like this program. Very handy though.

I don't know why, but on the server I'm on the program keeps stopping. There's no error or anything. It just stops.
cptdeath58 #6
Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:53 AM
Probably a server save.
Dex_Luther #7
Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:03 AM
Probably a server save.

Just probably? The server I'm on announces saves, and even then the program stops every couple seconds sometimes. Last time I tried the program, it started and stopped even before I could exit the computer's screen.
kla_sch #8
Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:47 AM
Hi.

What does "just stops" mean? A reboot? Is the program hanging? Does it terminate? Can you make a screen shot of the monitor?

Did you read the tab "Instructions" at the TurtleScript site (Longer description and install instructions) and saved the program as "disk/startup" to ensure, that the program restarts, after computer reset? The computers resets, if the chunk is not active and get reactivated.
jefrbunn #9
Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:18 PM
Will this code be updated for the change in naming convention for big reactors in v0.3.3A? I always get that there are no reactors found. Also, it seems that the wired network for CC doesn't connect to computer port. Any ideas if this is on CC or big reactor side?
kla_sch #10
Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:22 AM
Will this code be updated for the change in naming convention for big reactors in v0.3.3A?

Sure, if a modpack with this version is available. I have tested it with tekkit main (BR 0.3.0A / CC 1.58) and FTBs Tech World 2 (BR 0.2.15A / CC 1.58). Is there any modpack of FTB or Technic with 0.3.3A?

Edit/Update: Now, i have installed and tested it with FTB Monster v1.1.2. It includes BR 0.3.3A and CC 1.63. My Program runs without any changes with this modpack. Also the wired modem connects to the computer port without any problem. May be, you don't place a wired modem at the port or you dont activate (right click) it?

Edit/Update 2: May be, its the same problem as described here: http://de.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/2bfdqd/problem_connecting_computer_to_big_reactor/
Newer Version of Big Reactors are incompatible to old CC-Versions (<1.6).
Edited on 28 July 2014 - 05:57 PM
hbomb79 #11
Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:52 AM
Looks very handy, Well done, I really do find my self using something like that, But im gonna put it in my Security Suite
Shawn #12
Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:00 PM
sorry for noob question but how would i make it so i can send the info to another computer at my house?
kla_sch #13
Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:18 PM
sorry for noob question but how would i make it so i can send the info to another computer at my house?

You have to connect them with two wired modems and a network cable: http://computercraft.info/wiki/Wired_Modem

Place one modem at any side of the computer and one modem at any side of the monitor. Connect them with the network cable. Activate both modems by right clicking them (they show a red outline). My program should detect and use any monitor which is connected in this way. You may also connect more modems with any size (optimized for 1:2) at the same network cable.

Wireless modes don't work, btw.
Shawn #14
Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

You have to connect them with two wired modems and a network cable: http://computercraft...iki/Wired_Modem

i meant to a completely different computer that is no where near by, my house is quite the distance from my power plant. is it possible to send the display info over the wireless network to my computer at my house?
kla_sch #15
Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:01 PM
Hello,

i plan to create a second version of my program. I want to implement following features:
  • Different modes:
  • automatic: Works like it does now. manual: Only display status, but don't change anything (rod level, active state). off: Like manual, but it switches the reactor off first.
  • Controls for the different modes:
  • - A redstone signal (eg. a simple lever) should switch between state "off" and "automatic". - Key control at console ([o]ff, [a]uto, [m]anual and [q]uit). - Toggle between modes by clicking right at (of?) any connected advanced monitor.
  • Automatically set a computer label, if nothing is set. A convenience function for beginners. It should show a information page, that it was done and the how to change it with "label set" and "label clear".
  • Internal code changes for monitors: Rewrite the code, so that it is easier to extend it.
  • Minor bugfix: Try 5s to detect the reactor. After a chunk load, sometimes the reactor is not ready when the control program is already detecting the reactor.
  • May be, i will optionally add some additional informations for the monitor. It should be enabled by a constant at the beginning of the code (like critEnergy, lowEnergy, highEnergy today). More a feature for advanced users.
All changes should stay on the main goal: It should be mostly a plug&amp;play program. Simply connect the computer with the reactor, may be some Monitors, start the program and it should work without any complicated configuration.

Any other ideas/desires of nice handy features for the next release? Please leave a comment. I will think about it then.
Shawn #16
Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:43 PM
Any other ideas/desires of nice handy features for the next release? Please leave a comment. I will think about it then.

how about being able to send the reactor info to an offsite computer over wireless.
kla_sch #17
Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:25 PM
how about being able to send the reactor info to an offsite computer over wireless.

It's a much more complex scenario. You need two computers. They have to note each other. If you have more then one controlled reactor or more then one display computer, you have to handle it. Some way of configuration may needed and the program is no longer plug&amp;play. And i think it's not the most common problem at all.

The network cable is cheap. So, just build a tunnel and install the cable in there.

May be i will think about this in some future releases as an additional expert feature, but not in the next release. Sorry.
TheSnakeyGamer #18
Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:01 PM
Is there any way you can put in so it tells you how much fuel you have in please. and when is it coming out?
kla_sch #19
Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:20 PM
Is there any way you can put in so it tells you how much fuel you have in please. and when is it coming out?

I will try to show all the values optionally. I think it can only tell you the waste/fuel amount of the rods, not the amount of the access port itself.