This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Maarten551's profile picture

Redmote Control

Started by Maarten551, 27 May 2012 - 12:40 PM
Maarten551 #1
Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:40 PM
Hello people,

Today, I want to show my new program to you guys, named Redmote Control!

Introduction

Yesterday, I sat on the WC adn thought : Hmmmm, what can I make more with computercraft?
I knew I wanted to do more with Rednet and after some thinking, I knew it : I will make a remote control program!

What does it do

You need 2 computers for this.
  • One is the server, this can be a turtle or terminal.
  • The other one is the client, this needs be mine turtle.
First you need to start the program at the client, otherwise the server can't connect to it.
after that, the console from the client will be empty, you can't do anything with it now.
So go to your server, and start the file, it asks what computer ID and tries to connect.

If connected, the computer is controlled by the server!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iicTmS8GQIE[/media]

Features
  • It turns the modems automaticly on, it doesn't matter on what side.
  • The client has an 'Idle' mode, when don't need to control it, you just press 'q' and the server will quit the program, however the client will stay on 'Idle' mode, so an other player can't do anything with it. (You can aslo quit program on the client, you need to press shift + t)
  • You can controll redstone, so you can place TNT in the air, and fire it with the 'r' key(The redstone will be on, until you press again on the 'r'
  • It shows when there is an error, for example : you want to move forward, but there is a block in the way then the screen on the server will show the error.
  • More information on the screen of the server, such as : redstone on/off, how many blocks you moved, etc.
  • It's pretty secure, only one server can controll the turtles, so other players can't controll it, unless they can reach the server.
Notes (Important read these before digging)
  • Sometimes it won't connect, try it again(I don't really know what the problem is).
  • Don't forget to place a modem on the client and the server!(you don't need to turn them on)
  • Video will be uploaded soon
  • IMPORTANT : goto the client file, and change the server ID, to the ID from the server! DON'T FORGET THIS
Download

Mediafire link : http://www.mediafire...79pf7prkyc9hi9j

Controls
  • Left arrow key : Turn left
  • Right arrow key : Turn right
  • Up arrow key : Go forwards
  • Down arrow key : Go backwards
  • Ctrl : Dig in front of the turtle
  • Space : Place the selected block
  • 1-9 : The number you pressed will be selected.
  • z : Dig/Move downwards
  • x : Dig/Move upwards
  • q : Disconnect from the turtle, and the client will activate 'Idle' mode
  • r : Turns redstone on/off, the redstone will turn in front of the turtle
  • shift + t (or 't' with caps lock on) : Disconnect the connection andshuts down the client.
Installation
  1. Download the file from mediafire.
  2. Goto in-game and go to the console of your turtle/terminal and enter the following : "ID"
  3. This will return your computer ID, what you will you need in an one of the next steps.
  4. go to this derictory "%appdata%.minecraftsaves[Your world]computer[The computer ID]" and place the file you downloaded from mediafire.
  5. Now go to your turtle/terminal and enter this code "dir", you will see that "remote_control_server" or "remote_control_client" is now in the list.
  6. Enter "remote_control_server" or "remote_control_client" to start to program.

To do
  • fix some simple bugs
  • find a way to remove the console
  • Maby more function, add sugestions in the comments
Conclusion

I hope you guys will have joy with this program and I like to hear your opinions, so don't be afraid to post it.
And I like to say that I'm sorry for my English, it's a foreign language for me.
ardera #2
Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:53 AM
Hey! I coded the same program and I wanted to share it soon…
LordDrako #3
Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:39 PM
May I tell you that a server usually does not connect to the client but the client connects to the server?
Therefore the controlled turtle is actually the server and your PC/turtle is the client.

Besides that your program looks pretty awesome.
Good work :-)
Maarten551 #4
Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:59 PM
May I tell you that a server usually does not connect to the client but the client connects to the server?
Therefore the controlled turtle is actually the server and your PC/turtle is the client.

Besides that your program looks pretty awesome.
Good work :-)

You say it good : "usually".
The server controls everything on the client, while the client can't controll anything and I think it's not always necessary that the client connects to the server.

But anyway, thanks for you reply :)/>/>
Lyqyd #5
Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:30 PM
You're describing a client-server relationship, but your nomenclature is backwards. A server listens, a client connects to it. The server then responds to requests by the client and acts upon them. That's exactly what you describe, if you switched the names around. :)/>/>
MonsterHunter798 #6
Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:56 AM
Does this still work?
Lyqyd #7
Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:31 AM
Probably, but it's from before turtles needed fuel. Check the turtle programs section.