This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
fmra's profile picture

Turtle as RP2 frames autopilot

Started by fmra, 27 May 2012 - 07:01 PM
fmra #1
Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:01 PM
While trying to automate RP2 frames I ran into a problem. if CC computers are moved, Mincraft crashes. On the other hand, the RP2 computers reboot, so neither works.

This is a proof of concept for a turtle controlled RP2 frame engine.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ1HJ1-ZG_c&feature=g-upl[/media]

Please excuse the bad video quality, its clear enough to get the idea.
Noodle #2
Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:55 AM
I don't see a specific bug..?
Or Problem?
Luanub #3
Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:58 AM
Thats because he used a turtle as the resolution to his problem. The issue is with CC computers and RP control computers :)/>/>
bbqroast #4
Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:22 AM
So ingenious, love it :)/>/>. Could you in theory have the turtle and frames move at the same time? Or do they have different speeds.
fmra #5
Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:55 AM
turtle move faster than frames, since frames rejoin the world every movement and the RP motors will only move the frame 1 block per redstone pulse. You wouldn't need them to stay connected anyway, since circuitry doesn't work while in motion.
PixelToast #6
Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:04 AM
hmm interesting, this would also be a way around computers not working after moving on frames
Noodle #7
Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:07 AM
hmm interesting, this would also be a way around computers not working after moving on frames

Turtles move, I don't see the problem!?!?!? They're restarting because they move too fast?
immibis #8
Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:40 PM
Except RP computers don't reboot.
Luanub #9
Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

Turtles move, I don't see the problem!?!?!? They're restarting because they move too fast?

Pro tip read the post, the turtles work great. The CC computers and the RP control computers have issues when you move them with the frames in SSP. Turtles are being looked at/used as a way to get around the computer bugs since they can move.

Side note the CC computer bug will be fixed in the next release. There is a post about this in the bugs section.
LEOcab #10
Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:28 AM
I actually did this on single player. I had a small frame airship with an informational computer and a navigation turtle. I wish I had made a YT video of it. Now I lost the world and I'm too lazy to code it again, haha. I replicated it on my server but some kid was horsing around with a mining laser and shot the inside of my ship. The outside was all reinforced stone too so it was a (un)lucky shot of him. The autonav code alone took me 2 nights. ;_;

The turtle was next to the 'cockpit'. The player sits down on a minecart (on top of a Railcraft boarding track so the cart doesn't move around as much) and can enter commands to the turtle. Like "move south", "move north" or "autonav". Autonav then asked you for coordinates and the ship automatically traveled there. There was one block on top of the turtle that was used to keep track of coordinates accurately. I had a problem where sometimes the frames didn't move (probably due to lack of blutricity) so the turtle checks for that block using turtle.detectUp() and if it's not there, then the ship moved and the turtle can move and be ready for the next block. Then the computer had a monitor attached to it that showed current coordinates, destination coordinates, speed (meters per minute LOL), and ETA. Too bad CC time depends on tick, so if there's lag, the speed and ETA will be wrong. Other than that and the fact that it dropped server tickrate by almost 4 ticks when moving in autonav, it was an epic airship. :)/>/>
OmegaVest #11
Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:40 PM
Huh. I had a similar idea that I never got working correctly.

Though, I did make a station-master autopilot that would move the up-down and port-starboard motions. It would require a manual forward move, but it allowed me to keep a constant track of what ship body went where in my garage. (Had eight bodies by this point, including three shuttle-type bodies).