This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Dog's profile picture

== WiRe == (Redstone Master Control for your base)

Started by Dog, 20 May 2014 - 11:20 PM
Dog #1
Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:20 AM
WiRe is a server/client system for controlling redstone output. It is focused on controlling doors, hatches, bridges, barriers, etc (e.g. pistons, MFFS mod, Light Bridges and Doors mod) but can control anything that operates on a redstone signal (e.g. redstone lights, machines, etc.). The server is the 'control center', capable of managing up to 20 clients (per server) all from a touchscreen monitor. Each client controls one door/hatch/etc. and reports its status to the server wirelessly or via wired network.

Please note: WiRe is NOT compatible with ComputerCraft 1.74 or ComputerCraftEdu 1.74 or the combined CC/CCEdu 1.74 jar. This includes modpacks that use these versions [e.g. Tekkit Legends]

WiRe Server monitor (control center)
[attachment=1657:WiRe Server Mon.png]

- Each server manages a single 'network' of clients (network group/color is selected during setup). This allows you to have one server control public doors, while another controls private doors, another controls bridges, etc. Due to monitor array size limitations (8 monitors wide), each server should be limited to 20 clients.
- Any client can be opened/closed/activated/deactivated, locked and unlocked from the server.
- Any client that is locked will not operate until it is unlocked at the server (wood/iron doors, although locked, will still open with a redstone signal - there is no way around this).
- The server can also lock or unlock all clients simultaneously with a single touch.
- Clients can support multiple monitors, allowing door/hatch/etc. control from both sides.
- Pressing 'F1' in the client or server terminal screen will display basic help
- Pressing 'q' in the client or server terminal screen will gracefully exit the client or server

This was inspired by a system I made quite awhile ago for a base I had in FTB Ultimate. I was new to Lua then and the system was quite buggy and temperamental…it also was 'mission specific' - trying to use the system in another base wasn't worth the trouble. I've wanted that level of control in my newer bases so I decided to revisit the idea, and WiRe is the result.

WiRe is designed to be relatively flexible - to achieve that, the client asks about 8 questions during setup (the server asks 4). It goes pretty quick after you've been through it once, though.

Take note: as of version 2.0.00 WiRe encrypts all its communications using SquidDev's AES and Alex Kloss' base64.
- For best performance mix computers with even and odd numbered IDs on each network to distribute the load on the server(s) (this makes a difference)

I hope people find this as useful as I have. Go WiRe up your base and let me know what you think!

SpoilerWiRe Server terminal screen
[attachment=1658:WiRe Server Term.png]

WiRe Client terminal screen
[attachment=1728:WiRe Client Term.png]

Example WiRe Server hardware setup (wireless modem on back in this example, but it can be placed on any side)
[attachment=2616:WiRe Server Setup.jpg]

Example WiRe Client hardware setup (wireless modem on back in this example, but it can be placed on any side)
[attachment=2624:WiRe Door Setup.jpg]

Spoiler- WiRe requires ComputerCraft 1.63 or newer

- WiRe clients require a WiRe server; make sure your server is up and running before installing your clients

WiRe Server:

- Standard or advanced computer with at least one modem (wired or wireless) and a monitor array consisting of one to eight advanced monitors
- The monitor array will serve as the main control center for monitoring and managing doors/hatches/etc. - the array may be attached to the server directly or via modem/network cable
- Wired modems on the server must be turned on to work as communication devices, but they don't need to be turned on if you are only attaching to monitors (the monitors' modems *do* have to be turned on, though)
- The server will detect and handle multiple modems (including mixing wired and wireless), but will only 'open' wired modems for communication if another computer is attached via network cable (and its modem is also turned on)
  - If you add clients via wired modem after WiRe server is already running, you will have to restart the server if no clients were attached via that modem when the server was originally started

WiRe Client:

- A server up and running for the network group the client will be joining
- Standard or advanced computer with a modem (wired or wireless) and one or more optional advanced monitors (for local door control) - or a wireless turtle (no monitors)
- WiRe client is designed to use only 1 modem - it will use the *last* modem it finds - if you want to use a wired network use only wired modems and only one per client.  Wired modems need to be turned on.  Clients will not be able to get a GPS fix on wired networks.
- The optional advanced monitors will serve as 'touch screens' to operate the door locally - they may be attached to the client directly or via modem/network cable

Spoilercc10 and WiRe can work together to provide limited functionality. Follow these directions and you should be good to go…

- Install cc10 Host and WiRe Client on the same computer (not portable).
- Name cc10 Host as 'cc10host'
- Name WiRe Client as 'WiReClient'
- Configure both of them to use the same side for redstone output.
- Configure cc10 Host with a password if you would like a small layer of protection (passwords and communications are not encrypted).
- Create a file named 'startup' with the following code

shell.run("cc10host WiReClient")

Reboot the machine and the startup file will launch cc10 Host in daemon mode, which will then launch WiRe Client automatically.
- Note that cc10 is not 'aware' of the WiRe 'lock' state, so it will essentially bypass WiRe and operate devices regardless of their lock status.
- Open/closed/on/off status are reported accurately in both cc10 and WiRe.
- Now you can use WiRe server *or* a portable computer (with cc10 remote installed) to control your WiRe clients.

SpoilerWiRe Server:

Paste: hqpRw4Jy
ComputerCraft: pastebin get hqpRw4Jy startup

WiRe Client:

Paste: jtFa7V1n
ComputerCraft: pastebin get jtFa7V1n startup

cc10 Thread for those wanting pocket computer support

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler5-20-14

- WiRe server released at 1.0.00
- WiRe client released at 1.0.00
5-21-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.01 - minor tweaks and changes, added info to help screen
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.01 - minor tweaks and changes, added info to help screen
5-22-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.02 - user can now choose not to get a GPS fix on startup (during first-time setup)
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.02 - user can now choose not to get a GPS fix on startup (during first-time setup)
- WiRe server updated to 1.0.03 - changed how hosting is implemented to better utilize the new rednet.host feature (this requires updating the server and client), minor tweaks and changes
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.03 - changed how hosting is implemented to better utilize the new rednet.host feature (this requires updating the server and client), minor tweaks and changes, fixed an issue where success state would report as false if the device was locked when queried
5-23-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.04 - reduced frequency of monitor writes
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.04 - reduced frequency of monitor writes, location now displayed on terminal screen
- WiRe server updated to 1.0.05 - server no longer looks for key/char inputs if running in daemon mode
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.05 - client no longer looks for key/char inputs if running in daemon mode
- WiRe server updated to 1.0.06 - optimized terminal screen writes - now only 'updated' text gets redrawn; with an exception for the client list which still updates regularly
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.06 - optimized terminal screen writes - now only 'updated' text gets redrawn, minor reformatting of terminal output
- WiRe server updated to 1.0.07 - small tweak to charInput(), minor tweaks and updates
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.07 - small tweak to charInput(), fixed a mistake in file handing during init, fixed a case when answering queries that could confound the client and cause it to report incorrect information
5-25-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.08 - fixed a logic derp regarding whether or not to get a GPS fix
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.08 - fixed a logic derp regarding whether or not to get a GPS fix
5-26-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.09 - fixed a condition when a client is gracefully exited that would cause the server monitor to be updated incorrectly resulting in the last entry being displayed twice
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.09 - minor code cleanup and fixes
- WiRe server updated to 1.0.10 - changes to help screen, fixed several issues where monitor calls were using terminal colors, fixed an issue with text formatting on the terminal screen
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.10 - changes to help screen
5-28-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.11 - optimized 'All Device Lock/Unlock' handling
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.11 - fixed an error in status reporting if the device's default 'Lock' status is 'OFF'
5-29-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.12 - eliminated unnecessary monitor writes
- WiRe client promoted to 1.0.12 - no changes

Spoiler6-8-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.13 - added differentiation between doors and pistons (doors now behave properly), minor tweaks and fixes
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.13 - added differentiation between doors and pistons (doors now behave properly), minor tweaks and fixes
6-13-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.14 - added wired modem support for communications
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.14 - added wired modem support for communications
6-14-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.15 - updated help screen, fixed a condition that could result in a blank control monitor when a client was gracefully exited
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.15 - updated help screen
- WiRe server updated to 1.0.16 - server now looks for a modem *before* initializing first-time setup
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.16 - client now looks for a modem *before* initializing first-time setup
- WiRe server updated to 1.0.17 - displayed names are now split semi-intelligently - no more need to 'space out' names
- WiRe client promoted to 1.0.17 - no changes
6-15-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.18 - fixed a condition when a client is gracefully exited that would cause the server terminal screen to be updated incorrectly resulting in the last entry being displayed twice
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.18 - fixed a text formatting issue that left stray characters onscreen after a state change from LOCKED to OFF or ON
6-17-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.19 - fixed a bug in device name splitting routine that could crash the server
- WiRe client promoted to 1.0.19 - no changes

Spoiler7-10-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.20 - fixed a display bug that could cause the server to crash in certain circumstances, minor code cleanup
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.20 - several minor tweaks and fixes

Spoiler9-7-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.21 - reworked polling to reduce computing expense and rednet pressure
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.21 - reworked polling to reduce computing expense and rednet pressure
9-11-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.22 - optimizations to polling, minor tweaks and fixes
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.22 - minor tweaks
9-12-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.23 - fixed a couple of derpy bugs in first-time setup
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.23 - small tweak to first-time setup

Spoiler10-11-14

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.24 - several optimizations to netSend() function, fixed a flaw in modem counting logic
- WiRe client promoted to 1.0.24 - no changes
Spoiler
Spoiler2-22-15

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.25 - several tweaks and fixes, code cleanup
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.25 - several tweaks and fixes, code cleanup

Spoiler3-5-15

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.26 - minor tweak and code cleanup
- WiRe client updated 1.0.26 - minor tweak and code cleanup, added feature for clients to start up in last state (on/off/open/closed) as opposed to a 'default' startup state.  Clients will have to go through first-time setup again to take advantage of the new feature (delete "/data/WiReClientCfg" and rerun the program to initiate first time setup again).  Also default lock and default unlock states have been removed - locking now just locks the device in whatever state it is in instead of forcing a state change.
- WiRe server updated to 1.0.27 - code cleanup/optimization
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.27 - several bug fixes related to new 'last state resume' feature, default lock/unlock state removed (devices are now locked/unlocked in whatever state they are already in)
3-17-15

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.28 - fixed dropped client detection, code cleanup/optimization
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.28 - code cleanup/optimization

Spoiler5-24-15

- WiRe server updated to 1.0.29 - code optimization
- WiRe client updated to 1.0.29 - code optimization

Spoiler9-25-15

- WiRe server updated to 1.1.00 - major code optimization - this is a highly recommended update
- WiRe client updated to 1.1.00 - major code optimization - this is a highly recommended update
Spoiler
Spoiler6-1-16

- WiRe server updated to 1.5.00 - bug fixes, major code optimization, communications should be much more reliable in noisy environments
- WiRe client updated to 1.5.00 - bug fixes, major code optimization, communications should be much more reliable in noisy environments

Spoiler7-11-16

- WiRe server updated to 1.5.01 - added sanity check to name splitting function (bug fix)
- WiRe client updated to 1.5.01 - fixed typo in first-time setup routine (bug fix)
Spoiler
Spoiler2-27-17

- WiRe server updated to 2.0.00 - added communications encryption (SquidDev's AES and Alex Kloss' base64), increased polling interval
- WiRe client updated to 2.0.00 - added communications encryption (SquidDev's AES and Alex Kloss' base64)
Spoiler8-16-17

- WiRe server updated to 2.0.01 - lock state handled separately from switch state
- WiRe client updated to 2.0.01 - lock state handled separately from switch state
Spoiler9-10-17

- WiRe server updated to 2.0.02 - now works with Lua 5.1 features disabled
- WiRe client updated to 2.0.02 - now works with Lua 5.1 features disabled
Spoiler11-23-17

- WiRe server updated to 2.0.03 - code cleanup/optimization, server poll timing adjusted, now more tolerant when hosting a full list (18-20 clients), clients shouldn't mysteriously drop any longer
- WiRe client updated to 2.0.03 - code cleanup/optimization, client report timing adjusted, clients shouldn't mysteriously drop any longer when the server has a full list (18-20 clients)
Spoiler12-20-17

- WiRe server updated to 2.0.04 - code cleanup/optimization, client polling eliminated - clients will no longer drop off the list unless gracefully exited at the client
- WiRe client updated to 2.0.04 - code cleanup/optimization
Spoiler
Spoiler8-26-18

- WiRe server updated to 2.0.05 - fixed device sorting, client polling reworked and reintroduced - clients that 'drop' without being gracefully exited will be named in yellow instead of being removed from the list
- WiRe client updated to 2.0.05 - minor tweak to poll timing, terminal screen now indicates when the client successfully updates the server and when it doesn't

Similar programs:
WirelessControl by unobtanium

As always, my sincere thanks to everyone who made this possible; with special thanks to the following:
- SquidDev for his AES encryption/decryption function
- Alex Kloss for his base64 encoding/decoding function
Edited on 26 August 2018 - 07:26 PM
Zudo #2
Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:05 PM
I get it… WiRe… WiReless… WirelessRedstone…

:D/> You seem to have put a lot of work into this. Good job!
Dog #3
Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:40 AM
Thanks, ZudoHackz :)/> It's been a fun project.
Dry_Taste #4
Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:49 PM
This is awesome! but maybe add a way to connect network monitors to a cliënt? (if that is possible)
Agent Silence #5
Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:23 PM
Well, I was going to make this.
Oh well, you did better on this then I could've ever done. GJ.
PS: Maybe allowing you to control the server through a PDA?
Dog #6
Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:06 PM
This is awesome! but maybe add a way to connect network monitors to a cliënt? (if that is possible)
Thanks, Dry_Taste. If you mean connect monitors via modem/network cable - that is already possible :)/> If that's not what you mean, would you please clarify a bit?

Well, I was going to make this.
Oh well, you did better on this then I could've ever done. GJ.
PS: Maybe allowing you to control the server through a PDA?
Thank you, Agent Silence. I've been considering adding PDA support. Unfortunately, due to how WiRe works, it won't be easy to add (I wish I had thought about PDA support earlier in the project). That's not to say I won't get around to it; but if I do, it'll probably take awhile to get it where I'm happy with it - no promises, though, as I may not be able to implement it in a way I'm happy with. I don't know if it would interest you, but I also have a program for portable computers called cc10. It allows you to control redstone wirelessly as well, but with a slightly different feature set.
Edited on 23 May 2014 - 02:02 AM
Dry_Taste #7
Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:27 PM
Thanks, Dry_Taste. If you mean connect monitors via modem/network cable - that is already possible :)/> If that's not what you mean, would you please clarify a bit?

Thanks for the reply, i wasn't aware of that (i tried to do that but i obviously did it wrong) how do i do this? I tried to connect a wire-modem to a client but it doesn't show anything on the monitor.

Edit: Nevermind forgot to activate the modems on the terminal and monitor, i'm sorry ^^''
Edited on 23 May 2014 - 03:57 PM
Dog #8
Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:34 PM
No problem, Dry_Taste. Glad you got it sorted :)/>
viluon #9
Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:03 PM
I was waiting for this :)/>
Great job, Dog! I'll try ASAP!
Dog #10
Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:21 AM
Thanks, viluon! Please let me know what you think can be improved or done better :)/>
Edited on 07 June 2014 - 03:23 AM
bbilko #11
Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:27 PM
Hello, loving the idea of this program/system but having a few problems setting it up.

I have an advanced computer, advanced monitor onthe back and a wideless modem on top.

I have downloaded and run the server setup and after the questions I get this error:

Here is a shot with the screen closed

Any ideas??
Dog #12
Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:44 PM
@bbilko - are you running this with ComputerCraft 1.6 or an earlier version (e.g. 1.58)? Based on the error and the line number it looks like you aren't running ComputerCraft 1.6 which WiRe requires.
Edited on 10 June 2014 - 08:01 PM
bbilko #13
Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:21 AM
…That would be it then!

Seems the FTB Monster pack has 1.58.

Damn….

Cheers for your assistance!
Datamats #14
Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:43 PM
I was wondering if you could add wired modem support because of security reasons and other stuff? Would be awsome
Dog #15
Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:54 PM
Hey, Datamats,

Done - wired modem support for communications is added. That's actually something I've been planning on adding for awhile - not sure why I didn't do it sooner. Download 1.0.14 (client and server) to get the updated functionality.
cmckain14 #16
Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:51 AM
Due to the fact that it was at 1:00 in the morning, I forgot to put a wireless modem on the computer *derp*. Could you consider putting a check for a modem as the first thing (not the last) the program does? Other than that, great program! :)/> Also, may I ask you how you got the server monitor to print the clients like that with the touch screen?
Edited on 14 June 2014 - 03:57 AM
micmou #17
Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:33 AM
I have a suggestion for you.
Maybe you could integrate Pocket computers :D/>
Dog #18
Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:17 AM
@cmckain14 - Thank you :)/>

I'm guessing you mean the order in which the checks are made during first time setup? If so, that makes a lot of sense - I'll take a look at that and make it right.

As for how I got the names to display, it's not an elegant solution, but here's what I do…
- Each name can be 12 characters
- Each name is 'broken in half' and displayed 6 characters per line (2 lines)
- Just add spaces in the name to space it out so it looks right on the monitor
Like I said, not elegant…but it works - and I haven't yet conquered the coding to have the program do it automatically.

@micmou - you're not the first to suggest it. I've considered it, but it wouldn't be an easy project - WiRe wasn't designed with that in mind. It's still a possibility, but it'll probably happen later rather than sooner. Although the feature set is a bit different, you may want to check out my cc10 program - it allows you to wirelessly control redstone (even analog redstone) outputs with an advanced wireless pocket computer.
Edited on 14 June 2014 - 05:23 AM
cmckain14 #19
Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:11 PM
@Dog I would suggest storing the names in a table and using 'table.sort' and some sort of string manipulation (string.format?) to sort them automatically. Also, how did you have the on/off switches work (respond to touch) when the program doesn't know how many clients there will be? In other words, how does the program auto. set the coords. for each of the buttons?
Dog #20
Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:52 PM
@cmckain14 - thanks for the suggestions :)/> The difficulty (for me) is looking at a string with multiple spaces and determining whether to break the string at the first space, second space, etc. The 'work' that needs to be done still eludes my understanding atm. I've only used (and am only familiar with) a few string api calls - guess it's time to sit down and read up a bit. I would definitely like to make the switch labeling 'work better'.

Actually, the server knows how many clients it has at any one time by counting the number of entries in the table of clients (#allClients). In this case, each element on the monitor is a static 6 characters wide, with the first starting at space 2. The formula I used for placement is…

(<number of current client>*8)-6

Although I could have just as easily used a 'for loop' starting at 2 and incrementing by 8 for positioning, inside another loop for incrementing client #.

To match the touch to the client, I compare the x touch coords using a variation of the above formula, in a loop, to find the client number.

for i = 1,#allClients,1 do  --# loop through the client list
  if posX >= (i * 8) - 6 and posX <= (i * 8) then  --# if our touch x position describes the x position of a button
    client = allClients[i].cc --# set 'client' to the computer ID# belonging to table entry 'i' in allClients

Y coords are checked differently since they are static and the same for all buttons.

I hope that explains it. If I misunderstood, or you'd like further clarification, please let me know :)/>

EDIT: I also released an update to WiRe server and WiRe client - they now look for a modem before starting first-time setup and warn you at the beginning if none is detected. My apologies for missing something so obvious.

EDIT2: Another update for WiRe server - the server now semi-intelligently splits client names on the monitor control display (no more need to 'space out' names). It looks for a single <space> and if it finds one, and both 'halves' of the name are 6 characters or less, it uses the 'split' name, otherwise it just splits the name at the 6 character mark and shows them as 6 characters &amp; 6 characters.
Edited on 15 June 2014 - 02:46 PM
micmou #21
Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:23 PM
Maybe you could add a check for cc10 and wire to check if the redstone is active or not? I would like to use both but if I activate it in cc10 then it wont show in wire.
Dog #22
Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:47 PM
Getting cc10 and WiRe to talk to each other would be a monumental task - they provide similar functions, but operate very differently.

I am looking into adding pocket computer support for WiRe, but I can't promise it'll happen. It isn't just a matter of adding some code to support pocket computers. A lot of the code of WiRe server (or WiRe client, depending on which way I go) will have to be re-written to accommodate having multiple 'control centers' (in addition to a number of other changes that would have to be made). It also negates the 'single, master control center' philosophy that WiRe was designed around. I, too, like the idea of the convenience, so I'm looking in to it and trying some things out; but I'll only be adding it if I can integrate it in a way that makes me happy and matches the overall design concept of WiRe.

EDIT: After some testing, I've discovered that cc10 and WiRe work together very well, but with limited functionality.

Simply install cc10 Host (named 'cc10host') and WiRe Client (named 'WiReClient') on the same machine and create the following file named 'startup'

Configure both cc10 and WiRe to use the same side for redstone output and it should 'just work'. cc10 and WiRe will both report status correctly…but, cc10 is not aware of WiRe's 'lock' ability and essentially bypasses it. If you'd like a small layer of protection, configure cc10 to use a password - note that passwords and communications are not encrypted.

When you reboot the machine, this will launch cc10host in daemon mode, which will then automatically launch WiReClient.
Edited on 18 June 2014 - 05:59 AM
oden the fish #23
Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:53 PM
why did you have to make this now i have to change all my redstone stuff to computer craft and use this because its so awsome :)/>. great program and i look forward to using it

EDIT: i found a glitch where if you have the main monitor right next to the computer and a wired modem (eg a bi-directional piston door) it won't display on the 2 monitor yet it still works its just a display glitch (client side)
Edited on 16 June 2014 - 11:18 AM
Dog #24
Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:45 PM
Thanks for the compliment, oden the fish :)/>

I'm not sure I understand what you're describing. Would you please describe the setup in more detail or post a screenshot?
oden the fish #25
Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:17 AM
for some reason it started working after i restarted my game
im making a piston door that can be opened from both sides
Dog #26
Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:29 AM
I'm not sure what the issue was, but I'm glad it's working for you now, oden the fish. If you have any other problems, please let me know.
oden the fish #27
Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:49 AM
i have found a problem https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb8zgg57r4oubyy/2014-06-17_02.22.20.png im not sure how to post this any other way
and here's a screen shot of my mob room using your program https://www.dropbox.com/s/1250vae2h1c3oth/2014-06-17_02.42.46.png?m=
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbbdw0fko3v44pz/2014-06-17_02.43.00.png i have a 2 sided door opener and it closes 10 seconds after being opened but i cant operate it from my master control and also can you make it where its possible to have signal relays a computer with a wireless modem on top and a second one on the side to relay the signal (eg a far away base and some signal relays so you can control you secondary base from your main base)
Dog #28
Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:13 AM
Hey oden the fish,

Sorry you are getting that error. I think I tracked down the problem and have updated WiRe server with the fix. Please download the latest version and let me know if the problem is fixed for you.

As for a wireless repeater - that feature is already built into ComputerCraft 1.6. Just plop down a computer with two modems (wired, wireless, or mixed) and create a program named 'startup' with the following code

shell.run("repeat")

I know wireless range changes depending on weather, but I don't know what the default ranges are off hand. Depending on how far away your base and house are from each other you may need to use more than one repeater. If I remember correctly, wired networks can go 256 segments before you need a repeater.
Edited on 17 June 2014 - 07:42 AM
oden the fish #29
Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:44 AM
ok ill try it and im going to have to try the wireless repeaters i didnt know that they where build in
oden the fish #30
Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:00 PM
so far its working really nice program
Dog #31
Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:53 PM
Thanks for the kind words, oden the fish. Apologies for the bug; I'm glad it's working well for you now :)/>
Dragnnight #32
Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:04 AM
i have got an error when running the server part and the client acts like the server is running but i get this error startup:383: vm error: java.lang.negativearrayexception

that error is on the server

Edit:fixed putting the monitor on top of the computer and adding more monitors seems to have fixed the error great program thank you
Edited on 09 July 2014 - 11:35 PM
Dog #33
Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:39 AM
Hey Dragnnight,

Sorry for the problems. Is this happening 'every so often' or constantly to where the server just won't run?

I can't see anything obvious in the code that would allow this to happen, so I need to get some more information from you…

1. Server and client software setup options (name, description, color, type, etc.)

2. Server and client hardware setup

Basically I need to know which options you chose during setup, and how your hardware is configured, so I can duplicate your setup. Then I should (hopefully) be able to recreate the crash and track down the source of it.
Edited on 09 July 2014 - 11:40 PM
Dragnnight #34
Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:24 AM
i have fixed the issue sense seems i was not putting enough monitors down i had 2 horizontal like on the left side of the computer apprently wasnt enough room i put 2 more on top of the 2 i had already placed down and rebooted the computer and it worked guess i just durped up lol but my setup was name: Door Control, Description: Door Controler, Color: Cyan, Type, Door, no gps fix, wireless modem

client redstone line about 6 blocks to the door right side computer

Love the program though thanks a lot

Don't see too many active authors
on these types of forums
Dog #35
Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:26 AM
Thank you, glad you got it sorted and love the program - always nice to hear :)/>

Do I understand correctly that the program crashed because the monitor wasn't wide enough to display all the attached clients? I'd like to track down whatever problem you ran into.

You'll find there are quite a few active authors here…and a good number of programs available. Overall, there's a decent amount of activity every day, and people are creating new stuff on a pretty regular basis. Welcome!
Dragnnight #36
Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:39 PM
actually i believe because it wasn't tall enough because the unlock an lock buttons are on the bottom and then the individual door, hatch and so on buttons go to the top right corner then go on from there once i connected 4 monitors in a square fashion it worked fine because there was room for the lock and unlock buttons on the bottom and then room for the individual buttons on top
Dog #37
Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:17 PM
It's designed to work with only a single monitor height - you shouldn't have to make the monitor taller than 1. If it's not displaying properly on a single height monitor, would you post a screenshot of what's displaying on the monitor? I've not had that problem in testing, but if there is a problem there I'd like to fix it.

After reviewing the code again last night I figured out why you got the error on line 383 and fixed the problem - it was caused by the 'title' line being longer than the monitor was wide (which I apparently never tested when I tested single-width monitor setups). I also cleaned up some stuff in WiRe Client as well. Download 1.0.20 (client and server) and let me know if you have any further problems.
Edited on 10 July 2014 - 11:37 PM
Dragnnight #38
Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:42 PM
the server update seems to have fixed that error i was having last night and is confirmed i can know use 2 monitors in a horizontal fashion and it works and i can also use 1 monitor as well witch i also could not do last night fixing the tittle on line 383 sees to have fixed it

Nice work
oden the fish #39
Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:51 PM
today after a crash i logged on and my door wouldn't respond its like the redstone signal wont turn off im using rednet if that has any thing to do with it heres some screen shots https://www.dropbox.com/home/New%20folder%20(5) im sure its ether the crash or something i did
Dog #40
Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:43 AM
@Dragnnight - woohoo! Glad we got that sorted. My apologies for missing that and putting you through dealing with those crashes.

@oden the fish - hey there! Sorry you're having problems :(/> Let's get 'em fixed!

What does the Client's terminal screen say? Does it show the OPEN/CLOSE-ON/OFF state properly? That will help me determine if the program is having an issue or it's a glitch with CC1.63 and redstone. Also, I can't view the screenshot - dropbox is asking me to log in (and I don't have my account info handy).
Edited on 10 July 2014 - 11:43 PM
oden the fish #41
Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:04 AM
huh ill make it where it downloads them to your computer but it says open and closed like it would before. every thing looks the same as before but it wont disable the redstone signal from the right side but it happend right after my game crashed (due to some glitch with jabba) and im not sure whats wrong im going to try a redstone wire and some lamps
heres my hopefully fixed dropbox link https://dl.dropbox.c...iGZBvnivda?dl=1
Edited on 11 July 2014 - 04:49 AM
Dog #42
Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:52 AM
The new pic is 404, but that's OK - I *think* I have a general idea of what's happening. I've seen similar behavior after a crash. If the terminal screen is correctly indicating the door state, then WiRe is most likely working as expected.

Have you tried breaking and placing the computer again? You might need to break the computer, restart the game, then re-place the computer.

If that doesn't work, I can think of two other things to try:

1. Delete /data/WiReClientCfg, re-download the client and go through first time setup on that client again. This probably won't fix it, but if the problem is with WiRe (and it was working fine before), a corrupted program or config might cause WiRe to behave strangely.

2. Temporarily move the computer to another location and see if it works there. If the problem follows the computer then try replacing the computer with another one and see if the problem goes away.

Let me know how it goes and we'll proceed from there.
oden the fish #43
Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:27 PM
its like rednet is broken WiRe is working fine but if it uses the red net then it wont work sorry for blaming your program it works fine with normal redstone
EDIT: well its minecraft's pistons that were the problem braking a replacing them worked again sorry
Edited on 11 July 2014 - 10:31 AM
Dog #44
Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:31 PM
No need to apologize, WiRe was a reasonable suspect in what was going on. I'm just glad you found and were able to fix the problem. If you have any questions or problems in the future, please don't hesitate to post - I'm happy to help :)/>
DrikarArz #45
Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:56 AM
Fantastic program, but when I was trying to get WiRe to work on my new world. It has worked on previous worlds absolutely wonderfully. Now when I startup the WiRe server for the first time when I get to the part to select the color to manage I get the error: "startup:720: bad argument: table expected, got nil" The client computers work fine. I've tried with both wired and wireless modems, basic and advanced computers, and controlled for everything else I could think of.

I'm running ComputerCraft 1.63, OpenPeripheralCore-0.3.3, and OpenPeripheralAddons-0.1.3 (I did attempt the program with the open peripheral mods disabled)

Unfortunately I dont know enough coding to really troubleshoot it any further… so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dog #46
Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:30 AM
DrikarArz - thanks for the compliment - I'm glad you've found WiRe useful :D/>

My apologies for the troubles you're having. What you're seeing is due to an error on my part when I recently did some optimizations to the code - I've fixed the problem and updated the download. Re-download the server and it should work fine for you. If you have any other problems or questions, please let me know :)/>
Edited on 12 September 2014 - 11:33 PM
KevinsCode #47
Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:38 PM
Getting cc10 and WiRe to talk to each other would be a monumental task - they provide similar functions, but operate very differently.

I am looking into adding pocket computer support for WiRe, but I can't promise it'll happen. It isn't just a matter of adding some code to support pocket computers. A lot of the code of WiRe server (or WiRe client, depending on which way I go) will have to be re-written to accommodate having multiple 'control centers' (in addition to a number of other changes that would have to be made). It also negates the 'single, master control center' philosophy that WiRe was designed around. I, too, like the idea of the convenience, so I'm looking in to it and trying some things out; but I'll only be adding it if I can integrate it in a way that makes me happy and matches the overall design concept of WiRe.

EDIT: After some testing, I've discovered that cc10 and WiRe work together very well, but with limited functionality.

Simply install cc10 Host (named 'cc10host') and WiRe Client (named 'WiReClient') on the same machine and create the following file named 'startup'

Configure both cc10 and WiRe to use the same side for redstone output and it should 'just work'. cc10 and WiRe will both report status correctly…but, cc10 is not aware of WiRe's 'lock' ability and essentially bypasses it. If you'd like a small layer of protection, configure cc10 to use a password - note that passwords and communications are not encrypted.

When you reboot the machine, this will launch cc10host in daemon mode, which will then automatically launch WiReClient.

i cant seem to get this working, it opens as a receiver for the redstone not a controller, unless this is how its supposed to be
Dog #48
Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:21 PM
I'm not sure what you mean, KevinsCode. What, exactly, opens as a receiver and not a controller? Which program is not working as expected - cc10 or WiRe?
ChocoPuppy #49
Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:24 AM
I'm not sure what you mean, KevinsCode. What, exactly, opens as a receiver and not a controller? Which program is not working as expected - cc10 or WiRe?
I think he made the same mistake I did, he thought that you use the instructions for the pda by downloading the things on the pda, you didn't specify (always a good thing to specify even if it seems painfully obvious)

also the reason why I came on here: can you make it so clients and servers can be in two networks? I want to make something like multiple terminals controlling multiple networks but then one master one that controls all doors
Dog #50
Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:42 PM
Heya ChocoPuppy,

Thanks for the clarification - I'll see what I can do about making the OP more clear and easier to understand.

Right now you can do multiple 'networks' - they are defined by the color you choose during setup. All matching colors are on the same network. I'll see what I can do about clearing that up in the OP as well.

As for a master control station that controls ALL networked clients regardless of color - I'll have to see if that's something I can work into the program.
BreeOge #51
Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:20 AM
I have a suggestion, anyway we can have it so that upon a reboot it goes to last state, instead of just On/Off Open/Close ect.. Last state would be great, that way if the minecraft server crashes, when it comes back up, everything will be like it was.. instead of having to log on and re set all switches..

Thanks
Dog #52
Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:55 PM
That's a good idea, BreeOge - thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what I can do about that :)/>

EDIT: I've added the feature, but you'll need to run your clients through first time setup again to take advantage of it. To re-do first time setup on each client, delete "/data/WiReClientCfg" then restart the client program. The option can be selected when choosing default startup (select [p] Previous state).
Edited on 05 March 2015 - 07:08 PM
BreeOge #53
Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:48 PM
Thanks, maybe you could make it write another file, and in that file put the current state.. then if you select last state as startup.. it would look at the file and pull the last state.. I know a little programming but not a lot… Thanks for trying to work it in.. great program..
Dog #54
Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:39 PM
Thanks for the compliment - those are always welcome :)/> I'm glad you like the program.

The feature is in and I made a pre-emptive change to locking as well. I've removed default lock and default unlock states - now when you lock a device it will remain in whatever state (on/off/open/closed) it was in before it was locked. That way you can choose to lock a door open or closed as opposed to being stuck with whatever default lock state you chose during setup.

EDIT: Found and fixed a small bug - redownload if you downloaded it before the edit time of this post.
Edited on 05 March 2015 - 08:21 PM
BreeOge #55
Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:24 PM
I am getting "Looking for WiRe Server . . .Startup:1012:Expected String, Boolean"

Deleted Config, and ran new install.. both server and clients..
Dog #56
Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:35 PM
Ugg…I found and fixed that error *after* you downloaded the client :/ Unfortunately that means you have invalid data in your config file (because of an error of mine). Apologies for the problems. Redownload the client, delete "/data/WiReClientCfg", and go through setup one more time. Let me know if that works for you.
BreeOge #57
Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:45 PM
Will do.. ahh no big deal, i am just happy you put last state in lol..

Same thing, now it says line 967 same error..
Dog #58
Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:54 PM
Did you delete the file "/data/WiReClientCfg" ? That's the line I'd expect that error if you still had a config with invalid data, but I can't recreate the problem on my end with a fresh install.

What options are you selecting during setup? That'll help me nail it down.

EDIT: OK - I was able to duplicate the problem - working on it now - should have a fix up shortly.

EDIT2: OK - finally fixed - redownload the client and run it, it *should* work fine now. Again, my apologies for that - glad you like the new feature :)/>
Edited on 05 March 2015 - 11:13 PM
BreeOge #59
Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:56 PM
Yea, I deleted it.. its for a door, options are D, N, P, Yellow, top, No GPS
Dog #60
Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:16 AM
It's fixed :)/> Redownload the client and that problem shouldn't bother you any further. Thanks for your patience!
BreeOge #61
Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:18 AM
Works great now, Thanks DOG, going to reset server to see if it keeps last state :)/> Thanks again..

Edit: Tested and works! Now I can leave my machines on and the ones I dont off.. lol
Edited on 05 March 2015 - 11:39 PM
Dog #62
Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:22 AM
Woot! Glad to hear it's all ironed out now - you're very welcome!
BreeOge #63
Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:11 AM
I hate to ask, since you did just a great job on the last state.. i know you said the lock and unlock really don't do anything anymore.. any way we can have the LOCK disable to touch screen switches, and the unlock enable them? Just to give them some use? Just a suggestion..
Dog #64
Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:58 AM
I don't remember saying lock and unlock don't do anything - if I did say something to that effect I apologize for the misleading statement. Lock and unlock are fully functional. I just tested them again to be sure and they are working as intended…in fact they work just as you requested. You'll know a client is locked because the box on the monitor will be red.
BreeOge #65
Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:19 AM
Ahh NP, I must have miss understood the lock and unlock comment.. I don't use the monitors at the client position.. so I wasn't aware..
Edited on 06 March 2015 - 01:29 AM
Dog #66
Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:58 AM
No worries at all :)/>
BreeOge #67
Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:43 AM
Just a FYI bug report, if you select Energy/Other you cannot set the startup state to On or Off only Prev.
Dog #68
Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:57 AM
I'll look into it right now.

EDIT: Fixed.
Edited on 06 March 2015 - 04:02 AM
micmou #69
Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:30 AM
Hey Dog Me again I have another suggestion maybe allow the locking or unlocking of touchscreens from a remote app say I locked myself out I could unlock it or possibly switch the activity from anywhere in the network as long as the pocket computer was authorized a easy way I think would to essentially pass a click as a touch through the network
Dog #70
Posted 09 March 2015 - 05:05 PM
Hey micmou,

Adding support for portable computers (in various ways) has been requested before and, unfortunately, I have to give you the same answer I've given others. WiRe wasn't written with portables in mind, so adding them in would require a fair amount of re-writing WiRe which I don't really want to do.

There is a partial solution to your problem, though. The OP includes instructions on how to install cc10 host in addition to WiRe client on a single machine (look for the spoiler titled "Want to use pocket computers with WiRe?"). This will allow you to control the doors with a portable computer (using cc10 remote) and it will even bypass a door's lock state (which means if it's locked, you can still open it). You can password protect your cc10 hosts during install so that only you can operate your doors with cc10.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's the only one I have to offer atm.
Edited on 09 March 2015 - 04:05 PM
BreeOge #71
Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:49 PM
I keep getting a "java exception thrown: java.util.concurrentmodificationexception" for the last 3 to 4 days.. I cant figure out what is causing it, it happens at random.
Dog #72
Posted 15 March 2015 - 08:46 PM
Unfortunately that's a java-side error - I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can do about that. Further, I'm unable to duplicate the problem on my end so I have no information to report in the AaP or CC bug threads.
Is this happening in SP or MP? The next time it happens, please save your fml-client-latest.log file (from your client if SP or from the server if MP), post it on pastebin, then post the link here.
Edited on 15 March 2015 - 08:14 PM
BreeOge #73
Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:49 AM
I looked at all the logs, and not one of them shows it.. it seems to be only for computercraft.. Does computercraft keep a log?
Dog #74
Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:05 AM
I looked at all the logs, and not one of them shows it.. it seems to be only for computercraft.. Does computercraft keep a log?
Not to my knowledge. Do you have a screenshot of the error? Is this in single player or multiplayer? Creative or survival?
BreeOge #75
Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:23 AM
Multiplayer, Survival.. The only thing that I can think of by looking at the error it tosses out, is the fact that I have 18 Client computers all connected to one disk drive for the main software.. however the config is saved on each client computer. I dont know if this is causing it or not.. I will get a screen shot next time it happens, I can usually just reboot the client computer and it comes right up.

EDIT, got a screen shot..

http://minecraft.breeoge.com/images/error.jpg
Edited on 16 March 2015 - 03:27 AM
Dog #76
Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:14 AM
Yeah, that definitely *shouldn't* be WiRe. To my untrained eye that looks like a bug in ComputerCraft…possibly.

If you're willing, would you test what happens if you install the software on each computer and don't have the drive connected (so they aren't sharing anything)? This is going to have to be reported to the bug thread (I think) so I'd like as much information as possible.

I don't have a multiplayer test environment atm so I can only test this in SP - but I'll keep trying to duplicate this behavior.
Edited on 16 March 2015 - 04:14 AM
BreeOge #77
Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:20 AM
Sure can sir.. I am going to bed for the night, I will do that tomorrow.. and check the results..
BreeOge #78
Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:13 PM
It looks to be at this time an issue when you have too many computers attached to one disk drive.. I will watch it for the next few days, right now each computer has its own startup and not sharing a disk..
Dog #79
Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:08 AM
Interesting. WiRe doesn't modify itself, so sharing a disk drive *shouldn't* be a problem if I understand correctly. Thanks for testing this out - I look forward to hearing back in a few days on the results.
BreeOge #80
Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:16 AM
Correction, after a few hours it did it again.. problem still exist with startup and config both on the same computer term.. 4 of the 16 computers running WiRe crashed with the java error.
Dog #81
Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:29 AM
This sounds like something that should be reported in the CC bug thread. Since you're able to duplicate the issue I'd recommend you file the report, but I can do it if you prefer.
BreeOge #82
Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:02 AM
Posted.. http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/22410-java-exception-thrown-javautilconcurrentmodificationexception/

The only common thing I have noticed is that it only happens on the WiReQRY command.
Dog #83
Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:19 AM
You posted a better bug report than I could have - thanks :)/>
sirjason #84
Posted 07 August 2015 - 04:58 PM
Wrong topic sorry.
Edited on 07 August 2015 - 07:48 PM
goldensecret #85
Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:19 PM
im having trouble setting up the client, the server works fine but i dont know if i am using it wrong or it is the version of computercraft or what is happening. im using 1.7.10 on DW20 version 1.9 server on FTB
which uses 1.74

if the picture dose not work then i am at the stage where it starts "is this a physical door/hatch? [d]

and when i type e for for energy device it gives me the error:

startup:583: attempt to index ? (a nil value)

http://imgur.com/Lgv79Ev
Edited on 26 June 2016 - 11:25 AM
Dog #86
Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:05 PM
Hey goldensecret,

Please accept my apologies, that was due to a mistake on my part. I've fixed the problem and it should work fine for you now - just redownload WiRe Client and run it - it shouldn't crash on you again.
jakejakey #87
Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:10 PM
I always get an error at random that says something about concatination of table and nil? I've had this problem for quite a while and haven't posted it up yet, but I can't use this program and rely on it controlling my base if it errors.
Dog #88
Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:29 PM
Hey jakejakey,

I need more information than that in order to fix the issue. The exact error message (with line numbers) would help a lot. The next time that happens, please post the entire error message and I'll get the problem fixed right away.
Sniper_killshot #89
Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:19 AM
ive got a problem.

im trying to use 2 door clients, the first one connects fine, but when i connect the second one, it spits out an error "startup:113: attempt to perform arthmetic __sub on nil and number"

ive tried everything i can think of. any ideas?
Dog #90
Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:41 PM
Hey Sniper_killshot,

I take it that's the server that is crashing with that error. Are you using the latest version of WiRe? What did you name the two clients?
Sniper_killshot #91
Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:43 AM
Hey Sniper_killshot,

I take it that's the server that is crashing with that error. Are you using the latest version of WiRe? What did you name the two clients?

the latest version. the two clients are named "control Door" and Storage Door" respectively.
Dog #92
Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:02 AM
That's really odd. I've duplicated your setup and couldn't get it to generate any errors. I re-uploaded both the client and server, just to be sure they are the latest, so go ahead and re-download the clients and server and see if the problem persists.

EDIT: Looking at the code, it occurred to me how to induce the error you were seeing. I added a sanity check to that part of the code and fixed the problem - please redownload the server to get the fix (clients don't need any changes). My apologies for the inconvenience.
Edited on 12 July 2016 - 12:16 AM
FoxData #93
Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:25 PM
Its basically a SCADA system without the fancy graphics.

PS: Can this be used for access control?

PS: Can it be used to control BuildCraft Pumps and stuff
Dog #94
Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:23 PM
Hey FoxData,

Since WiRe is basically just simple redstone switching - anything that can be turned on/off or opened/closed with a simple redstone signal can be 'controlled' by WiRe. As for access control - I'm not exactly sure what you mean - if you mean per user, then no it can't. You can 'lock' each client at the server so that it can't be operated locally, but that's about it.
FoxData #95
Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:05 PM
Hey FoxData,

Since WiRe is basically just simple redstone switching - anything that can be turned on/off or opened/closed with a simple redstone signal can be 'controlled' by WiRe. As for access control - I'm not exactly sure what you mean - if you mean per user, then no it can't. You can 'lock' each client at the server so that it can't be operated locally, but that's about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control
Dog #96
Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:19 PM
Based on your link, I can't add anything substantive to my previous answer - that's what WiRe can and cannot do - it is a form of access control, but not per-user access control.
Edited on 30 July 2016 - 09:20 PM
ToxicC00kie1001 #97
Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:34 PM
Omg this is exactly what I wanted a little more explanation on how the clients are setup would be helpful though!
Dog #98
Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:23 AM
What are you unclear about? Let me know and I'll do my best to clarify for ya.
IntelectualMind #99
Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:09 PM
nice mod very nice been wanted to make one of these
Dog #100
Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:57 PM
Thanks, IntelectualMind. It was a fun project.
Sniper_killshot #101
Posted 09 April 2017 - 04:37 AM
Hey dog, me again,

When trying to setup the server, I get a index nil value error on line 143, and that line is the bit operations for AES encryption, specifically the not operator. Im on version 2.0

Sk
Dog #102
Posted 09 April 2017 - 05:08 AM
What version of CC and MC are you using?
Bomb Bloke #103
Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:33 AM
Less a version issue and more a mod configuration issue; there's a debug setting which disables as much Lua 5.1 functionality as it can. There's no good reason to use it on a regular basis (or in most cases, at all), but for who knows what reason, one of the Tekkit modpacks has it set by default.

Take a look in ComputerCraft.cfg.
Dog #104
Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:39 AM
That wouldn't have occurred to me - thank you, BB!
Sniper_killshot #105
Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:34 AM
This hopefully fixed it, and thanks for that insight BB, nice to see a fellow Australian proving their worth to some American that think we are nothing.

Don't mind my rambling, thanks for the insight
OfficialFlareon #106
Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:29 PM
Hey Dog,
I get an error after I complete the setup process for the server computer. You can see the screenshot I have attatched. I'm running ComputerCraft 1.75 on an Advanced Computer with a modem on top. The client program is working completely fine but I just need the server program to work.

Thanks
Edited on 27 April 2017 - 09:28 PM
Bomb Bloke #107
Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:30 AM
You can see the screenshot I have attatched.

Nope.
Dog #108
Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:58 AM
Hey OfficialFlareon - Welcome to the CC forums. As Bomb Bloke noted, there is no screenshot. What is the error you receive after going through server setup?
OfficialFlareon #109
Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:28 PM
Sorry about that lol, I forgot to upload the picture.

https://imgur.com/a/R7uLz
Dog #110
Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:29 AM
Guh, that error is due to a typo - my fault. I've fixed the error and re-uploaded the server. Please re-download the server and you shouldn't run into that problem again. And if you run into any other issues, please let me know.
Squatch_ #111
Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:52 AM
Hey Dog,

I noticed the last change log talked about replacing the "mysteriously disappearing buttons" but, thats exactly what is wrong with 2 of my 4 networks. (Yes I need four, i'm a mad man.)

I want there to be 6 buttons but after a short delay 4 of the buttons are turned off at random, (same happens on the other network, all but 2 buttons are removed.) the computers are on, no errors in the computers that I have noted.
As far as I understand the server isn't sending a command through correctly or something as when I go to the local buttons and toggle the doors open / closed they reappear on the server monitor, to then shortly disappear.
The full network is comprised of 4 Standard and 2 Advanced Computers (Not including the server which is also advanced) as I don't need buttons at all the doors.
Yesterday, I updated and redownloaded wire on all my computers throughout the base and the issue persists.

FYI, Its a multiplayer server
Things I have tried:
1. Reinstalling on a new Computer
2. Rebooting All machines on the network (and reinstalling.)
3. Changing Network Colours (Did this alongside the mass reinstall)

I have made a imgur collection which may aid in explaining the situation, its brief and I can add anything you may need extra.
https://imgur.com/a/mAVuL
I believe that just about sums up everything.

Thanks,
Squatch_

P.S You WiRe program is the best thing in terms of "mad man redstoning" (as it has been described by my server mates) and this is the first major inconvenience I have encountered.
Dog #112
Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:35 PM
Hey Squatch_!

Welcome to the CC forums :)/>/>/> I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with WiRE, but thank you for such a complete report with screenshots - that helps a LOT.

First, let me say you are definitely a madman - and that's a good thing…it's a big part of the reason I wrote WiRe, just for these sorts of mad projects.

FWIW, I recently uploaded a change that I didn't document that *should* have improved the drop-off issue. Judging by the screenshots it appears you have the latest copy so I may have more work to do. I've been testing with a network of 20 and another of 2 and it's been stable for me, but it's being testing in SP - I have a feeling the additional latency of MP is causing some problems.

If you aren't worried about computers being maliciously removed from your network, I recommend you leave your hack in place - everything should work just fine - that's all the removal count is really there for anyway. Another thing you could try is upping the quietCount slowly to 3 then 4, etc. until the buttons no longer drop off - but again, only worry about that if you feel your computers are at risk of tampering.

Ultimately I will probably end up removing that bit of code since it's causing so many problems. Until then, leave your hack in place - when I get around to removing that code (probably by this w/e) I'll update the OP and PM you to let you know when it's ready so you can download at your leisure.

EDIT: I had some time and eliminated the data polling in the server - this means clients won't drop off the list unless they are gracefully exited at the client machine (by pressing 'q').

EDIT2: Squatch_ - since your account is new, I can't PM you - my bad, I should have known that. The latest version will fix the client drop problem - you should only need to grab the server as there are no significant changes to the client.
Edited on 20 December 2017 - 07:51 PM
Squatch_ #113
Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:45 AM
Hey Dog,

Thanks for the response (made me laugh a little.)
Ill update soonish to the latest server.

I wish to a bit more active on here and with such a friendly community ill be able to settle in :D/>

Thanks for your work and keep up that great program.
Squatch_
noah6644 #114
Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:33 PM
My Server doesn't find any client. I tried different Network colors and tried multiple times to re-setup the system but nothing works unfortunately.
The server says:
Last State: Noise
Success: false

The client says:
Success: true

Im using the latest Tekkit legends modpack on technic platform and on a tekkie legends server
Dog #115
Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:11 AM
Hi, noah6644! Welcome to the CC forums :)/>

Unfortunately, as stated in the OP, WiRe is not compatible with Tekkit Legends because it uses ComputerCraft 1.74. The only MP fix is to update the install of ComputerCraft on both the server and all the clients. The only SP fix is to update the install of CC on the client. The combined CC/CCEdu 1.74 package must be replaced with separate CC 1.75 and CCEdu 1.74 packages - in testing this is the only fix that has worked.

I wish I had another answer for you, but Tekkit Legends uses a version of CC that has a bug I don't know how to write around. Please accept my apologies - if I ever figure out how to write around that bug I'll update WiRe accordingly.
EveryOS #116
Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:20 PM
Please note: WiRe is NOT compatible with ComputerCraft 1.74 or ComputerCraftEdu 1.74 or the combined CC/CCEdu 1.74 jar. This includes modpacks that use these versions [e.g. Tekkit Legends]
What about CC 1.75?

Edit: Just saw your last comment.
Edited on 12 January 2018 - 11:21 AM
Bomb Bloke #117
Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:55 AM
Hrm. Does WiRE rely on colours.subtract at all, or any commands in the bit API? Pretty sure that's broken in CC1.74, and requires workarounds for that one build.
Dog #118
Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:34 AM
Hrm. Does WiRE rely on colours.subtract at all, or any commands in the bit API? Pretty sure that's broken in CC1.74, and requires workarounds for that one build.

Yes - I'm using SquidDev's AES implementation which relies on the bit API. Time permitting, I'll sit down this weekend and look into workarounds.