This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
EpicnessTwo's profile picture

[Project] ComputerCraft and Addons Unofficial help site

Started by EpicnessTwo, 21 May 2014 - 07:31 PM
EpicnessTwo #1
Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:31 PM
Hi all,

To better my knowledge in ComputerCraft, the addons and website creation. I have created a help site that will hold helpful information for CompterCraft and all of the popular addons. So far, the website has been made and its all at basics but with your help, it could become a place with a huge community. This is a project that i would like to work on and it's NOT something to replace the ComputerCraft website, forums or wiki. IF you would like to see the current development of the website, go here: cchelp.tk. If you would like to help with the project, you must reach some of the following requirements for security reasons…

You should have:
  • Membership of the ComputerCraft Forums for at least 3 months
  • 100+ Posts
  • 50+ Reputation Points
  • A positive contribution to these forums
  • Knowledge in Lua and Decompiling Mods*
If you meet all of the above criteria, Send me a PM telling me why you would like to join. Everyone who makes a positive contribution will become a Moderator on the Wiki and Forums of CCHelp.

Thank you for reading!
EpicnessTwo

EDIT: Due to this being a project, I am using free website hosting. There for, the website loading speeds may not be smooth at all times. During this first day of it being online, I have had a few issues with how it runs but they should be working now.

EDIT2: The Wiki link is broken at the moment, Here is the correct link: cchelp.tk/wiki

P.S. To the Admins, if this is in the wrong location, could you kindly move it to the correct place. This looked like the best place to put it ;P
Edited on 21 May 2014 - 08:46 PM
CometWolf #2
Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:59 PM
Ironic how you appear to not fulfill any of your own very steep requirements…
EpicnessTwo #3
Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:02 PM
Ironic how you appear to not fulfill any of your own very steep requirements…

True, if you look at my stats though, i haven't been here that long to gain the stats required. What requirements do you propose i set as you seam to fit every one of them?
Lyqyd #4
Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:16 PM
It would be better to invest the energy in creating tutorials for the Ask a Pro Renewal Project series, or editing wiki articles, or creating other tutorials or media, in my opinion. There is a vast wealth of information already here and I think it would be a better use of time and energy to build on and/or curate what we already have than to try to divide community attention between multiple sources of information.
EpicnessTwo #5
Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:18 PM
It would be better to invest the energy in creating tutorials for the Ask a Pro Renewal Project series, or editing wiki articles, or creating other tutorials or media, in my opinion. There is a vast wealth of information already here and I think it would be a better use of time and energy to build on and/or curate what we already have than to try to divide community attention between multiple sources of information.

I have a large amount of time and energy to put into this. I din't say it would be easy but i like a challenge and wish to do something with the community
CometWolf #6
Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:39 PM
What requirements do you propose i set as you seam to fit every one of them?
Changing it to "some" instead of "all" like you just did was probably a good start. However you're essentially asking for people who can help fill out information regarding ComputerCraft, yet non of your requirements seem to correlate with actual knowledge of ComputerCraft.
EpicnessTwo #7
Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:45 PM
What requirements do you propose i set as you seam to fit every one of them?
Changing it to "some" instead of "all" like you just did was probably a good start. However you're essentially asking for people who can help fill out information regarding ComputerCraft, yet non of your requirements seem to correlate with actual knowledge of ComputerCraft.

That taken on board. My stats are not for experience, they're for trust. If someone istrusted on here, they are likely to be trusted else where.
oeed #8
Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:42 PM
50+ reputation points is not something most people have. After the 1st and half way through the second pages of the top posters list there's only a handful of people who have 50+ and most of them aren't active anymore.

http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/members/page__sort_key__posts__sort_order__desc__max_results__20__st__20

Looking at the site it doesn't look too different to the current one, maybe something more unique would be better. For example, specific error help.
awsmazinggenius #9
Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:27 AM
Posts and rep does not co-relate with CC knowledge or trust in the community. Heck, I have 100+ posts (I guess I only have 34 rep but unless they enable downrepping that can only increase). I have enough knowledge of CC to have a very good idea of what I am talking about but I haven't released any programs (yet) as I am a bit slow on my dev as I am one of those "there are better languages than Lua" people. But a new member could sign up and release the next LuaIDE or NPaintPro. A member with 1000 posts could post a door lock, though. The other 999 posts would be spam though, likely

tl;dr: A new member can be really experienced, and a member with 1k posts can make a door lock.

Edit: oeed, you meet those requirements at 104 rep :P/>
Edited on 22 May 2014 - 12:32 AM
EpicnessTwo #10
Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:40 AM
Posts and rep does not co-relate with CC knowledge or trust in the community. Heck, I have 100+ posts (I guess I only have 34 rep but unless they enable downrepping that can only increase). I have enough knowledge of CC to have a very good idea of what I am talking about but I haven't released any programs (yet) as I am a bit slow on my dev as I am one of those "there are better languages than Lua" people. But a new member could sign up and release the next LuaIDE or NPaintPro. A member with 1000 posts could post a door lock, though. The other 999 posts would be spam though, likely

tl;dr: A new member can be really experienced, and a member with 1k posts can make a door lock.

50+ reputation points is not something most people have. After the 1st and half way through the second pages of the top posters list there's only a handful of people who have 50+ and most of them aren't active anymore.

http://www.computerc...lts__20__st__20

Looking at the site it doesn't look too different to the current one, maybe something more unique would be better. For example, specific error help.

That is why i have changed it to some instead of all of the requirements. Im getting more criticism instead of people wanting to help out :/
oeed #11
Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

I know, but most don't that's all.
viluon #12
Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:07 AM
it's NOT something to replace the ComputerCraft website, forums or wiki.

EDIT2: The Wiki link is broken at the moment, Here is the correct link: cchelp.tk/wiki
Why do you have a wiki then?

@Lyqyd great point
EpicnessTwo #13
Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:13 AM
it's NOT something to replace the ComputerCraft website, forums or wiki.

Why do you have a wiki then?

@Lyqyd great point

I have added a wiki as part of the website. I aim to create a website that will run along side ComputerCraft's website and not replace it. All the relivent information on the ComputerCraft wiki will be linked and not copied as i don't aim to replace it. As for what Lyqyd said. I do want to help out on the Ask-a-pro renewal project but getting started is the hard part.
apemanzilla #14
Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:53 PM
Aside from people over ~600 posts, there aren't many people with that much rep. And there aren't many active users with that many posts, or rep, and even fewer willing to invest time in other projects like this.

I feel that between the Ask a Pro section and Tutorials section, we have a pretty good help system for users right now. (With the exception of bad tutorials)