This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
Csstform's profile picture

CCJam: Results In!

Started by Csstform, 27 May 2014 - 01:59 PM
Csstform #1
Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:59 PM

THE CONTEST STARTS AT 12:00 GMT ON FRIDAY THE 13TH AND ENDS 72 HOURS LATER AT 23:59 GMT ON SUNDAY THE 15TH. PLEASE BE ON THE IRC CHANNEL IF YOU ARE WORKING. THANK YOU.
Welcome all, to CCJam! CCJam, for those of you who don't know, was an attempted ModJam-like competition back in 2013 that never really started. Today, I hope to ressurect this competition. The projected date is June 13th (A Friday) through June 15 (A Sunday). You do not need to be here for all that time, but that is the only time you can work on your CCJam project. While I would love to have everyone stream and/or use GitHub/Bitbucket, I realize that that is not possible, and will therefore (as of now) run this competition on the honor system. The rules are as follows:
  • Programs are split into 2 categories: Turtle and Computer
  • Computer programs will be judged by usefulness, user-friendlyness, and design
  • Turtle programs will be judged by usefulness, user-friendlyness, and simplicity
  • Judges are not allowed to participate
  • All code written for this event is able to be reviewed by the judges
  • APIs ARE allowed, just remember that judges will be looking through them, and it must be open source to release to the public.
  • Plagarism is NOT allowed
  • All programs must be submitted by the end of the period on Esper.net at #ccjam by the end of the time alloted (preferably in a pastebin or github format)
  • You may use CC (Latest 1.6.4 release) along with the latest OpenPeripherals release.
  • ALL RULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Please sign up by either messaging me or here: http://ccjam.ml

Staff List:
Csstform (Project Leader)
Death (Website Dev)

Judges:
Cruor (#computercraft OP)
Apemanzilla (member of the GoldProgramming organization)

Contestants list coming soon.

Thanks to AwsmazingGenius for the awesome logo!
Edited on 26 June 2014 - 12:27 AM
vifino #2
Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:03 PM
No. Just no.
apemanzilla #3
Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:29 PM
No. Just no.

I think someone's excited :D/>

Could I be a judge? I would be a contestant, but unfortunately I will be on vacation so it will be much easier for me to review code than write it…
Csstform #4
Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:53 PM
No. Just no.

I think someone's excited :D/>

Could I be a judge? I would be a contestant, but unfortunately I will be on vacation so it will be much easier for me to review code than write it…
I think that will work! Sorry you cant participate.
apemanzilla #5
Posted 27 May 2014 - 04:55 PM
No. Just no.

I think someone's excited :D/>/>

I think that will work! Sorry you cant participate.
Thanks!

Also, I think we should take the Ludum Dare approach and allow external/old APIs and such as long as they are approved (that way they can still use a coroutine manager, but can't write an "API" that has one function containing their whole program)

Otherwise, we could provide a set of APIs everyone can use.
Edited on 27 May 2014 - 02:58 PM
Csstform #6
Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:04 PM
Hmm. I think you may have a good idea, but I would say maybe only use pre-approved globally available API's, such as Gopher's or others. Also, modpack is down, the mods installed are ComputerCraft and OpenP on 1.6.4, for any who want to stay away from the technic launcher.
apemanzilla #7
Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:06 PM
Hmm. I think you may have a good idea, but I would say maybe only use pre-approved globally available API's, such as Gopher's or others. Also, modpack is down, the mods installed are ComputerCraft and OpenP on 1.6.4, for any who want to stay away from the technic launcher.
Which versions? CC 1.63 + beta build of OPe or 1.5 + standard build?

Also, I have a basic UI API which we could allow. It only really adds a scrolling list prompt and scrolling text box, but, eh - saves a bit of coding.
Edited on 27 May 2014 - 03:13 PM
logsys #8
Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:53 PM
Nooo, I have final exams and I have to study, so I can't participate, although I would like to be a judge too, although for GUI and some basic lua(not like opening a door, but like everything except metatables, getting hang of it now). But good luck, hope to see good works from this thing
Csstform #9
Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:54 PM
Updated topic. I'm going to look into APIs a bit more, and decide whether we will allow them or not.
vifino #10
Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:58 PM
I might want to be a judge.
Might.
Csstform #11
Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:52 PM
Nooo, I have final exams and I have to study, so I can't participate, although I would like to be a judge too, although for GUI and some basic lua(not like opening a door, but like everything except metatables, getting hang of it now). But good luck, hope to see good works from this thing
Sorry you can't participate.
I might want to be a judge.
Might.
As for judging, I'm going to think about how many people I want as a judge before I allow more judges.
vifino #12
Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:18 PM
I would suggest 3.
Its a common number.
apemanzilla #13
Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:47 PM
I would suggest 3.
Its a common number.

I agree, unless we get a huge amount of people participating, then more, like 5.
Edited on 27 May 2014 - 05:48 PM
Agoldfish #14
Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:49 PM
You already know I'm participating. ;o
Sir_Mr_Bman #15
Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:06 PM
I'd love to be the judge of user-friendlyness.

Looks like fun!
(also, I'm enough of an idiot to idiot-proof anything)
PixelToast #16
Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:07 PM
diddnt this die catastrophically last time?
apemanzilla #17
Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:46 PM
diddnt this die catastrophically last time?
SHHHH
awsmazinggenius #18
Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:37 AM
Can I judge? And just a thought, maybe resize the logo down a bit and put it in
tags.

EDIT: Website bug. If I click the "IRC" button, join a channel, x out the modal and then try and close my tab, I get a message whining to me about my irc connections.
Edited on 27 May 2014 - 10:43 PM
Csstform #19
Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:15 AM
>_<

Too many judges, not enough particapants. For the above wanna-be judges, please consider being a particapant instead, as I am not planning on having more judges. IF the problem with participating is a date issue, contact me, and we /may/ be able to change the date. Thanks.

NOTE: @PixelToast: let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.
apemanzilla #20
Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:41 AM
If we really need more participants I can try to complete it, but I'm not sure what the internet situation will be like in France…
oeed #21
Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:51 AM
I'd like to participate. But there's a few things I disagree with/have questions about.

APIs - At the very least I'd like to be able to use my Drawing API.
Template code - For 99% of my programs I use a basic template which is essentially event and click handling, shown in the spoiler below.
Environment - Would I be able to run it in OneOS?
Timezones - Will 'Friday' be my Friday, which would be your Thursday or is it based of GMT or something?
Content - Is the program content up to you, or does it have to be a certain topic/theme?

Spoiler

function Initialise()
EventRegister('mouse_click', TryClick)
	    -- these are OneOS API buttons, so I won't necessarily use them
yesButton = Button:Initialise(Drawing.Screen.Width - 6, Drawing.Screen.Height - 1, nil, 1, colours.green, colours.white, nil, nil, nil, function(self, x, y, toggle) OneOS.Run('/Programs/App Store.program/', 'install', applicationID, 'Games', true) OneOS.Close() end, 'Yes'):Register()
noButton = Button:Initialise(Drawing.Screen.Width - 11, Drawing.Screen.Height - 1, nil, 1, colours.red, colours.white, nil, nil, nil, function(self, x, y, toggle) OneOS.Close() end, 'No'):Register()
Draw()
EventHandler()
end
-- example drawing code
function Draw()
Drawing.Clear(colours.white)
Drawing.DrawBlankArea(1, 1, Drawing.Screen.Width, 3, colours.grey)
Drawing.DrawCharacters(#applicationName + 3, 2, 'Install', colours.lightGrey, colours.grey)
Drawing.DrawCharacters(2, 2, applicationName, colours.white, colours.grey)
for i, elem in ipairs(InterfaceElements) do
  if elem.Draw then
   RegisterClick(elem)
   elem:Draw()
  end
end
local lines = Helpers.WrapText('To save disc space, OneOS does not come with '..applicationName..' downloaded by default. Do you want to download it now?', Drawing.Screen.Width - 4)
for i, v in ipairs(lines) do
  Drawing.DrawCharacters(3, 4+i, lines[i], colours.black, colours.white)
end
Drawing.DrawBuffer()
end
MainDraw = Draw
function RegisterElement(elem)
table.insert(InterfaceElements, elem)
end
function UnregisterElement(elem)
for i, e in ipairs(InterfaceElements) do
  if elem == e then
   InterfaceElements[i] = nil
  end
end
end
function RegisterClick(elem)
table.insert(Current.Clicks, elem)
end
function CheckClick(object, x, y)
local pos = GetAbsolutePosition(object)
if pos.X <= x and pos.Y <= y and  pos.X + object.Width > x and pos.Y + object.Height > y then
  return true
end
end
function DoClick(event, object, side, x, y)
if object and CheckClick(object, x, y) then
  return object:Click(side, x - object.X + 1, y - object.Y + 1)
end
end
function TryClick(event, side, x, y)
for i, object in ipairs(Current.Clicks) do
  if DoClick(event, object, side, x, y) then
   Draw()
   return
  end 
end
end
function GetAbsolutePosition(obj)
if not obj.Parent then
  return {X = obj.X, Y = obj.Y}
else
  local pos = GetAbsolutePosition(obj.Parent)
  local x = pos.X + obj.X - 1
  local y = pos.Y + obj.Y - 1
  return {X = x, Y = y}
end
end
function EventRegister(event, func)
if not Events[event] then
  Events[event] = {}
end
table.insert(Events[event], func)
end
function EventHandler()
while true do
  local event = { coroutine.yield() }
  if Events[event[1]] then
   for i, e in ipairs(Events[event[1]]) do
    e(event[1], event[2], event[3], event[4], event[5])
   end
  end
end
end
Initialise()
Csstform #22
Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:15 AM
All times are going to be GTM, so as to prevent confusion for me, dates are being reconsidered, and API rules (and a few other rules) are being considered. It seems like a lot of people are not available at the set time (I should have asked first) and we /may/ move it. As for content…… no real 'planned' theme, just useful programs, not games.
apemanzilla #23
Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:37 AM
@oeed I'd say APIs are definitely a possibility as Csst said, and a template would probably be okay as well as long as you're not having your whole program as the "template." For using OneOS as the environment, I doubt that that this would be allowed as it gives you access to literally every API and program included in OneOS, which would catapult you far beyond what others have.
Edited on 28 May 2014 - 12:37 AM
oeed #24
Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:49 AM
@oeed I'd say APIs are definitely a possibility as Csst said, and a template would probably be okay as well as long as you're not having your whole program as the "template." For using OneOS as the environment, I doubt that that this would be allowed as it gives you access to literally every API and program included in OneOS, which would catapult you far beyond what others have.

Yea, I guess you're right about running it in OneOS.

In regards to APIs again, maybe allowing a set number (maybe 3 or 4) APIs would be the way to go, maybe having them checked first.

I think GitHub should be enforced to ensure that people aren't doing work prior.
Engineer #25
Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:21 AM
I think GitHub should be enforced to ensure that people aren't doing work prior.
People always can save it locally prior to date and upload it when it's almost over. Streaming is the only way to check if it has been written at those dates
CometWolf #26
Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:44 AM
Just make people sync it to git every hour or so while they're working on it. Should be pretty easy to distinguish between some in-progress work, and someone just copy pasting complete sections.
Zudo #27
Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:23 PM
Ooh! 14th of june is my birthday!
ardera #28
Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:54 PM
I would participate too.
I don't fully agree with "No Template stuff": What about adding third party APIs/Programs? like JVML-JIT? "No Template Stuff" in ModJam is because you shouldn't prepare code for you project, I think.
H4X0RZ #29
Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:21 PM
I would like to participate ^^
Csstform #30
Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:37 PM
I would participate too.
I don't fully agree with "No Template stuff": What about adding third party APIs/Programs? like JVML-JIT? "No Template Stuff" in ModJam is because you shouldn't prepare code for you project, I think.
That is the reason I am nervous about allowing APIs. For now, if you wish to use an API, send it to me, and I'll look over it to make sure it doesn't give an unfair advantage. Also, I may decide to put the APIs in the ROM, for everyone's access.
Agent Silence #31
Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:12 PM
I'll participate.
Where/When is it going to be held?
I will start coding now.
Lignum #32
Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:06 PM
I'll participate.
I will start coding now.
The date is in the OP and the title "CCJam: June 13th-15th". And you shouldn't start coding now because you're supposed to start on the 13th of June.
Agent Silence #33
Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:37 PM
I'll participate.
I will start coding now.
The date is in the OP and the title "CCJam: June 13th-15th". And you shouldn't start coding now because you're supposed to start on the 13th of June.
Oh, by start coding I mean get the fundamentals down, as in my idea and my template, like Oeeds.
And I use individual templates for all my programs.
Csstform #34
Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:50 PM
I'll participate.
I will start coding now.
Correct, the coding is to be done the days designated. Expect specific times based off GMT within the week.
Agoldfish #35
Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:58 PM
People always can save it locally prior to date and upload it when it's almost over. Streaming is the only way to check if it has been written at those dates
But some people don't have the cpu resources to stream…
Sir_Mr_Bman #36
Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:53 PM
I guess I'll take part, depending on date and time.

Also, could we have teams?

And again with the API's, please reconsider.
Zambonie #37
Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:16 PM
I'd Really like to participate, but again as most people - Time. Im on vacation over that time, and will be for 3 weeks ): . There any possibility in changing time, a couple of people are on vacation and still in school at this time.
Edited on 28 May 2014 - 08:16 PM
Agoldfish #38
Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:30 PM
I'd Really like to participate, but again as most people - Time. Im on vacation over that time, and will be for 3 weeks ): . There any possibility in changing time, a couple of people are on vacation and still in school at this time.
I still have never met a person who is still in school in the second week in June. :P/>
Tbh, Csstform asked me when my schedule wasn't busy and I told him this date. He used it, I see.
Csstform: I'm usually not busy weekends except for the 4th of July.
apemanzilla #39
Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:38 PM
I still have never met a person who is still in school in the second week in June. :P/>
Tbh, Csstform asked me when my schedule wasn't busy and I told him this date. He used it, I see.
Csstform: I'm usually not busy weekends except for the 4th of July.
Pssh, I was in school on June 28th once. Snow days for the win!
CometWolf #40
Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:38 PM
'Murica!

Really though, i'd consider participating if the date is changed. Otherwise it's a no go for me.
oeed #41
Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:44 PM
I don't finish school till late June :P/>
Agoldfish #42
Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:56 PM
'Murica!

Really though, i'd consider participating if the date is changed. Otherwise it's a no go for me.
I live in 'Murrica. Though, to be fair, I don't go around to see when schools get out. :P/> Today was my last day. :D/>
Bomb Bloke #43
Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:01 PM

Doesn't take much to stream pre-recorded video. ;)/>
apemanzilla #44
Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:04 PM

You'll have to add a special comment with a password to the top of the file which will only be announced when it starts :P/>
Agoldfish #45
Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:54 PM

I'm not gonna dare to record anything. I have terrible luck recording stuff.
Sir_Mr_Bman #46
Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:10 AM
I get out of school june 13th…

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh finals week
Csstform #47
Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:09 PM
Well. If we want to reschedule, lets try and coordinate some. What would be the best month for anyone interested? (I assumed people were out of school by June, sorry.)
awsmazinggenius #48
Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:00 AM
There's no way you can accommodate everyone, as some people have to do summer school or work weekends. I personally am gonna be in vacation on this date, though I will have Internet.
oeed #49
Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:07 AM
Yea, personally this time suits me quite well. I'll still be at school, but if it's during the weekend it's not an issue.
Csstform #50
Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:47 PM
Actually. Since it works for some people, and not others, (which will happen either way, thanks guys) we'll keep the date, and if all goes well, we can schedule another one later.
Tjakka5 #51
Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:32 PM
I'd like to participate, but I wont be able to be there on Saturday.
This also means I'll have to relearn CCLua somewhat again >.<
Csstform #52
Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:08 PM
Alright! We are a week away, I hope you are all prepared for this. We will start at noon on Friday, June 13th GMT and end on Sunday June 15th the same time.

About APIs. Here is what I've decided: All submitted programs will be looked over by the judges, face-value and through the code. If you are ok with the judges looking through your API as well, then you may use it. If you think it will give you an unfair advantage over other players, then dont use it for the sake of the competition.

Other rules: IF POSSIBLE, please be in the IRC chat while you are coding, just so that I and the other judges know when you are coding. Please use github repositories (or bitbucket if that fits you better, just not private) and update them regularly. I expect a link to your finished program/github repo on the irc channel, or messaged to me on the forums by 12:00 noon on Sunday.

Please post below once more if you wish to participate, just so I know whether or not you can still make it. Thanks!
Zambonie #53
Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:18 PM
I most likely will be able to participate. Ill try to use most of my free time on vacation to do this.
Is there still going to be a second date scheduled?
Edited on 06 June 2014 - 04:18 PM
Csstform #54
Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:27 PM
Probably. Depends how this one goes. If well, then either later in the summer, or early fall. (Maybe winter)
apemanzilla #55
Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:48 PM
Actually, it may be better to use private repositories while the competition is i progress to prevent plagiarism, but that's up to you Csst.
Csstform #56
Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:56 PM
Actually, it may be better to use private repositories while the competition is i progress to prevent plagiarism, but that's up to you Csst.
If they upload to github, then we can just watch the pushs to check who pushed first. Plagarism /shouldn't/ be a problem.
InputUsername #57
Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:00 PM
I would join, but unfortunately I will be in Spain one day before the competition begins. Maybe next time. I'm looking forward to the results though :)/>
Tjakka5 #58
Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:45 PM
Once again, yes, I would like to participate.
I also have a question; Do all programs go, or are we supposed to make something thats actually useful?

Because that will determine if I'm going to program a game, or make my Todo list v2.
apemanzilla #59
Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:31 PM
Once again, yes, I would like to participate.
I also have a question; Do all programs go, or are we supposed to make something thats actually useful?

Because that will determine if I'm going to program a game, or make my Todo list v2.

It's supposed to be something that someone would actually use. So either really works. Just not something like the "hello" program.
Edited on 09 June 2014 - 05:32 PM
columna1 #60
Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:56 PM
I've been thinking of joining but I have a question, and My question is:
Are we allowed to use things like text editors and ides outside of Minecraft (not just ccemu or something) but something like a lua ide that would help some with coding - an outside tool if you will

this would also open up possibilities for people with crappy computers to join -although I probably wont be able to stream with my 2.6ghz single core cpu and 1gb of ram although I have 30-50mb/s internet
Lignum #61
Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:25 PM
Are we allowed to use things like text editors and ides outside of Minecraft (not just ccemu or something) but something like a lua ide that would help some with coding - an outside tool if you will

I'm very certain that that's the case. It's pretty much virtually impossible to make anything serious (even for a jam) in edit. On non-English keyboards you can't even type things like square or swirly brackets because Alt Gr is bound to the menu making it literally impossible to write a decent program.
Lyqyd #62
Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:15 PM
You'd press it once to open the menu, then press the correct combination to create the character, just like when you paste things into edit. Also, you could copy and modify the edit program to use a different key for the menu.
Csstform #63
Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

I'm very certain that that's the case. It's pretty much virtually impossible to make anything serious (even for a jam) in edit. On non-English keyboards you can't even type things like square or swirly brackets because Alt Gr is bound to the menu making it literally impossible to write a decent program.

Correct, you may use external editors.
Lignum #64
Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:46 PM
You'd press it once to open the menu, then press the correct combination to create the character, just like when you paste things into edit. Also, you could copy and modify the edit program to use a different key for the menu.
Oh, that is indeed the case. Thanks, that'll help in the future.
H4X0RZ #65
Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:51 PM
Is there an kind of theme we "have" to code our program in?
columna1 #66
Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:06 AM
Is there an kind of theme we "have" to code our program in?

It would be cool and helpful if there was a theme
sci4me #67
Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:14 AM
this is awesome… question, computer = pocket computer?

honor system? thats a game-breaker for me. rule #1: dont trust anyone.
Edited on 10 June 2014 - 12:15 AM
apemanzilla #68
Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:08 PM
3 days left! Get your text editors ready!

I don't think there's any specific theme yet, as it would restrict the options for programs some.

What's wrong with the honor system?
Emma #69
Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:44 PM
is it fine if (on the specified dates) used sublime 2 and streamed via twitch? Also, a theme would be awesome as it would make it easier for both the judges and the contestants.
But count me in! :D/>

Looks like ill be gone then too NVM
Edited on 11 June 2014 - 08:19 PM
apemanzilla #70
Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:09 PM
is it fine if (on the specified dates) used sublime 2 and streamed via twitch? Also, a theme would be awesome as it would make it easier for both the judges and the contestants.
But count me in! :D/>
Yes, it's fine.

I don't see how a theme would make it any easier. In fact it may make it more difficult for users to create projects that conform to that theme. And we're too close to really change it anyways.
Csstform #71
Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

You may program for the Pocket Computer, yes.

Maybe next time we will come up with a theme, but as Apemanzilla said, it needs to be decided further before hand. As for streaming, it is ENCOURAGED.
Edited on 10 June 2014 - 08:08 PM
InputUsername #72
Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:33 PM
Eh. I need to learn how to read. I'll be away on July 13th. Anyway, I'd like to join. Not sure if I'll be able to stream though.

EDIT: question - what would be the best way (program) to stream? I've heard about xsplit (or something like that) but I'm not really familiar with streaming things.
Edited on 10 June 2014 - 08:41 PM
Csstform #73
Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:40 PM
Sure! Glad you caught yourself.
oeed #74
Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:53 PM
Ok, so as mid-day GMT on Friday is about 9:30pm for me and I won't be able to submit my entry at that time on the Sunday either, would it be possible to have my start time pull back to 6pm for me, so 8:30am GMT?

It would also be useful if the rules on the main post could be updated with all the rules discussed (especially in regards to APIs).

Also, as InputUsername said, what should we be using to stream? I'm not really familiar with streaming.
Csstform #75
Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:19 AM
Ok, so as mid-day GMT on Friday is about 9:30pm for me and I won't be able to submit my entry at that time on the Sunday either, would it be possible to have my start time pull back to 6pm for me, so 8:30am GMT?

It would also be useful if the rules on the main post could be updated with all the rules discussed (especially in regards to APIs).

Also, as InputUsername said, what should we be using to stream? I'm not really familiar with streaming.
Here's what we'll do. We'll start at 12:00 AM GMT on Friday and end at 23:59 (11:59 PM) on Sunday. That should accomodate all time zones, as I don't want to make a special exception for you. (Australia?)

As for streaming, I havent done it, but these were suggested to me:
http://obsproject.com/
http://www.adobe.com/products/flash-media-encoder.html

And I'll try to fix the topic when I get a chance.
ardera #76
Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:34 PM
What platform should we use for streaming? I don't really get why streaming is needed either.
Lignum #77
Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:38 PM
What platform should we use for streaming? I don't really get why streaming is needed either.

I don't make the rules but I can tell you that it doesn't matter because every platform allows you to achieve the same goal. It's encouraged to stream and/or use a source control management system in order to prove that you're writing the code in the given time span.
apemanzilla #78
Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:58 PM
Streaming is encouraged, but optional as we realize that not everyone can handle streaming. It is to ensure that people are working on it ONLY between the allowed times.

I won't be able to watch the streams as (at least for most of the 13th) I'll be on the plane, but I will help judge the finished projects.
oeed #79
Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:59 PM

Here's what we'll do. We'll start at 12:00 AM GMT on Friday and end at 23:59 (11:59 PM) on Sunday. That should accomodate all time zones, as I don't want to make a special exception for you. (Australia?)

As for streaming, I havent done it, but these were suggested to me:
http://obsproject.com/
http://www.adobe.com...ia-encoder.html

And I'll try to fix the topic when I get a chance.

Ok, that sounds fair enough.

Streaming on Mac looks like it's a little harder, but I'm sure it's possible….
apemanzilla #80
Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:54 PM
Just about four hours before this starts! Be ready!
Tjakka5 #81
Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:07 PM
Pfff, Im going to start in ~10 hours, as I dont want to stay up all night.
Also, change of plans for me, I am also able to work on my program this Saturday, which is nice :)/>
Csstform #82
Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:32 PM
Just about four hours before this starts! Be ready!

/me grabs his popcorn. You gonna be able to hop on IRC? I know it's not really your thing.
Csstform #83
Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:38 PM
1.5 hours until go time! Hope you all are ready! I still request that all of you get on IRC while coding! http://webchat.esper.net/?channels=ccjam
Csstform #84
Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:47 AM
15 MINUTES!
Csstform #85
Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:00 AM
GO!
Link149 #86
Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:17 AM
I have to study for my exams as well but I suppose I could get a program done in time.

Also, just one question:
Is it allowed to use multiple computers to get a working GPS system ?
Never used the GPS API before, but if I remember well you need 3 or 4 computers in order to find
your current coordinates.
Csstform #87
Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:52 AM
I have to study for my exams as well but I suppose I could get a program done in time.

Also, just one question:
Is it allowed to use multiple computers to get a working GPS system ?
Never used the GPS API before, but if I remember well you need 3 or 4 computers in order to find
your current coordinates.
Sure, just so long as you specify that so we know how to test/run it. I encourage you to join IRC!
H4X0RZ #88
Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:37 PM
Okay, I start now.
Here is my github link, https://github.com/T...Lord/CCJam-2014
and my live stream: http://www.twitch.tv/Freack100

EDIT:
hopefully, you don't have problems with the music xD
Edited on 13 June 2014 - 10:38 AM
ardera #89
Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:12 PM
My live stream: http://www.twitch.tv/ardera_ (ardera was already taken)
My Github: https://github.com/ardera/CCJam2014

I won't speak to what I'm doing, I'll just stream what I'm doing. However, I think I'm mainly gonna stream on Saturday and maybe Sunday.
Zambonie #90
Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:24 PM
If you would like mine:
http://www.twitch.tv/zamboniepat457/

Heres my github:
https://github.com/PAT457/projectX

Ill always be streaming when coding, though same as above I wont talk.

Edit: Im streaming right now.
Edited on 13 June 2014 - 12:57 PM
Lignum #91
Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:40 PM
GitHub: https://github.com/G...eMcKinlay/CCJam
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/Lignum856
Edited on 14 June 2014 - 12:30 PM
oeed #92
Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:32 AM
GitHub: https://github.com/oeed/OneCode/tree/master

All the Mac streaming software is all out of date or not working, if someone gets streaming on Mac working let me know and I'll use that stuff.
awsmazinggenius #93
Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:46 AM
Been taking care of stuff out of town for a few days (also flying away on a holiday), glad to be on time for CCJam! I won't be entering though, I want to work on my long overdue website.
ElvishJerricco #94
Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:02 AM
Github: https://github.com/ElvishJerricco/CCJamJun14

It's turning out being more of a very structured API… Odd…
Link149 #95
Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:03 PM
Dammit I overslept and woke up at 5 PM. XD
Csstform #96
Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:08 AM
Dammit I overslept and woke up at 5 PM. XD
O.o

That's a lot of oversleeping unless you work night shift.
H4X0RZ #97
Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:43 AM
Okay, here is a "tutorial" on how to use my program I made for CCJam:
SpoilerYou can find it here:https://github.com/TheFreakLord/CCJam-2014

Small explaination of what the different files are used for:
SpoilerbuttonAPI: very self-explanatory. just a little button API I wrote for CCJam
sandboxAPI: this file is used by both programs to load the config, I was to lazy to copy the code in both files xD
sandbox.lua: the "core" of the program which is doing the actual sandboxing
sandbox-gui.lua: just a wrapper for sandbox.lua.
main.lua: a "fake virus" which is just creating a startup file with no content. I used this to test the sandbox.

Instructions on how to use the program:
  • Download everything and place it in the ROOT (!!!) of your computer. I don't know why but it throws errors when trying it in other folders then the root.
  • if "more advanced user", run sandbox.lua and inspect the command page it shows. as "advanced user" you should know what it does ^^
  • as "normal" user, run sandbox-gui.lua and test it. IMO the GUI is very "easy" to use. (Only if you actually know what a sandbox is)
  • Have fun with it!

Known Bugs
  • When the program isn't ran in root it won't work
  • When edititng an existing sandbox, it will remove the old one from the config, but won't remove the folder
Edited on 14 June 2014 - 11:48 PM
apemanzilla #98
Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:54 PM
Six hours left before judging! Finish up those projects!
ardera #99
Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:16 PM
Couldn't finish my project, currently does just print some space characters with brown/cyan characters. Again, heres the github link: https://github.com/ardera/CCJam2014

ik, this actually sounds like I didn't do that much, but theres a lot of things behind the scenes going on.
Edited on 15 June 2014 - 05:17 PM
Csstform #100
Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:49 PM
Never mind, I'll be here to test. Judges, how do you want to communicate for the judging? (I know I and Cruor are often on IRC)
Edited on 15 June 2014 - 09:40 PM
Lignum #101
Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:28 PM
Mine's finished now:
https://github.com/G...eMcKinlay/CCJam

There's a tutorial on the GitHub page's wiki.
Edited on 15 June 2014 - 07:30 PM
Csstform #102
Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:09 AM
Only 50 minutes to get your final changes done and turned in! Hurry up!
Engineer #103
Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:09 AM
I want to propose a new CCJam as I couldn't make it this weekend and this is small scale anyway, unlike modjam.

I want to organise it if it's necessary and this is very early date to do this again. I am planning to do this 1.5 month after the results of this jam are in.

I'd like some feedback on this, or some variation in this. Maybe we can even come up with some theme or something :P/>
Csstform #104
Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:39 AM
I want to propose a new CCJam as I couldn't make it this weekend and this is small scale anyway, unlike modjam.

I want to organise it if it's necessary and this is very early date to do this again. I am planning to do this 1.5 month after the results of this jam are in.

I'd like some feedback on this, or some variation in this. Maybe we can even come up with some theme or something :P/>
Sure, so somewhere around late august? I'd be fine with that. We do need a better website, so if any of you web geniuses want to give it a shot, contact me. Also, I think we need a prize or something to entice more people into competing. As for a theme, I've been thinking about that.
Csstform #105
Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:01 AM
TIMES UP!
ElvishJerricco #106
Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:15 AM
Finished: https://github.com/E...cco/CCJamJun14/

Apologies. It was finished before but I couldn't post here until now. Figured the previous post of mine was good enough.
Edited on 15 June 2014 - 11:16 PM
Csstform #107
Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:27 AM
yeah, sure. Just so long as the GitHub doesnt show otherwise ;)/>
awsmazinggenius #108
Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:47 AM
Yeah, I could tell you were in need of a slightly better website (Simple Bootstrap page (you can use Bootstrap with your own CSS (preferably Less, but whatever.), not using semantic elements properly (div instead of nav for the navbar?!?), etc.) I can kinda-sorta do web design (I can send you the source code of a website (the site looks nice, but the code looks bad.) if you'd like. I'm much better then when I made that site now though.). Though I like to use HTML/CSS and keep JS out of the picture (except for polyfills and Ajax), I can do JS if required. If you need server-side stuff, which is unlikely, but whatever, I can do some Ruby on Rails, which I much prefer to PHP for various personal reasons.

EDIT: Forgot to actually offer my help! Yeah, shoot me a pm if you want my help.
Edited on 16 June 2014 - 01:47 AM
apemanzilla #109
Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:04 PM
@Csst I'm still on vacation until tomorrow [the 17th] but Skype or PMs here would be the easiest method of communication.
Csstform #110
Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:21 AM
ALRIGHT! Results are in! After careful consideration, I can congratulate not one, but two of you on attaining first place. As I had no time to judge, I defered to the other two judges, who each leaned to one, but rated the other high as well. Second and third will be released in a bit.

Lignum: Both judges found your entry creative and semi-easy to pick up. I hope you do well again next time!

ElvishJerricho: While both judges were minorly (or majorly) confused about LuaLua, they both agreed that your code was very well written. Please continue to write good programs!

Everyone: If you are interested in what the judges had to say about your project, I can send you their comments, although I must warn that they did not hesitate on bashing any mistakes they found.

Engineer: PM me about the next CCJam if you are still interested. As for the website, something came up and awsmazinggenius cannot continue working on it. Contact me if you are interested.
Agoldfish #111
Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:23 AM
Boy that was clear, so who were the two winners? Jerricho and Lignum?
Csstform #112
Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:29 AM
Yes, I thought I made that clear, sorry. :/
Agoldfish #113
Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:30 AM
Yes, I thought I made that clear, sorry. :/
There were just so many people mentioned it was hard to tell. c:
apemanzilla #114
Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:19 PM
I think next CCJam we should extend the time limit (4-5 days?) so that people have more time to finish their projects. While a lot of the projects were good ideas and a lot of code there, most projects weren't completed.