This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
sk8mn's profile picture

Wired Turtles

Started by sk8mn, 31 May 2014 - 11:04 PM
sk8mn #1
Posted 01 June 2014 - 01:04 AM
I have the idea of instead of adding wireless modem to a normal turtle you could add a wired one instead as to start with a wireless modem you need a eye of ender depending on how good a fighter you are these can be difficult also some people don't play on anything but peaceful because angry mobs make building difficult and annoying so I thought with the wired turtle you would fill a special slot with so much networking cable. You would also need to connect the turtle's modem to a computer with a cable. So you could do all the things a wireless one could do but its affectively on a leash, as you moved more cable would be deployed until it ran out at which point a message would be sent to the modem saying that it is at its limit and if you tried to make it move forward again the cable would snap severing the connection but leaving the cable there but the turtle would move that one block so all that would be needed would be for it to be manually returned back a block and the cable reconnected
electrodude512 #2
Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

/gamerule mobGriefing false
will make it so creepers and other mobs can't break your stuff. Only turn on mobs while you're in the End.
Cranium #3
Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:41 PM
I'd recommend some punctuation on that post ASAP. Makes my brain hurt to read.
I don't really agree with this idea, it just seems like there's no real reason to make turtles wired. If you want a turtle to connect to a wired network, you can use a properly coded regular computer as a proxy. Remember, you can greate your own peripheral calls.
Wojbie #4
Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:04 PM
You can use a properly coded regular computer as a proxy. Remember, you can create your own peripheral calls.

What did you exactly meant by making your own peripheral calls?
Cranium #5
Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:08 PM
What did you exactly meant by making your own peripheral calls?
Using peripheral.call(), you can pass a custom peripheral call to any peripheral attached. It depends on if you're listening to the right calls though. I think there was an OS that did this a while back…
Wojbie #6
Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:24 PM
Using peripheral.call(), you can pass a custom peripheral call to any peripheral attached. It depends on if you're listening to the right calls though. I think there was an OS that did this a while back…
Wait… you could use peripherall.call() to call a custom call? How does that even work? Doesn't it just do nothing if peripheral don't have that method? Or are we talking about custom peripheral mod here? Sorry for offtopic but i am confused a lot.

As to wired turtles? Sounds interesting in theory but i kinda think that giving them only wireless modem adds a layer of challenge to controlling them. The whole thing with laying down cable and it snapping could be done with some nice lua code too. Not connecting but turtle leaving cable behind itself as it moves i mean.
Edited on 06 June 2014 - 07:27 PM
Cranium #7
Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:09 PM
I've never personally used it, but I was under the impression that almost anything can go into the parentheses, and as long as the peripheral(in this case a computer) was watching for that event, you can handle it. Again, I've not tested this myself, but that's what I was told.
viluon #8
Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:15 PM
According to the wiki example, I suppose you can only launch a program via this command…
Edited on 06 June 2014 - 08:16 PM
Wojbie #9
Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:25 PM
I have made a thread in Ask a Pro here - Lets stop off-toping this suggestion and move it there.

According to the wiki example, I suppose you can only launch a program via this command…
"clear" is in monitor method not a program by same name.

Sorry sk8mn for all the Off-topic.

Back to the Suggestion talk:

Now that i think about it all you need for it to work is for wired modem to be accepted peripheral for turtle and for it to auto-connect wire on side of turtle its on. All the rest (auto deployment and loosing cable) can be done my user on lua side.
Edited on 06 June 2014 - 08:27 PM
NanoBob #10
Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:47 AM
I'm not sure, but you might be able to use openPeripheral's peripheral proxy to use a turtle wired. But that would only be in one place.