This is a read-only snapshot of the ComputerCraft forums, taken in April 2020.
robhol's profile picture

Turtle multiplayer safety?

Started by robhol, 01 June 2014 - 08:17 AM
robhol #1
Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:17 AM
I've been a bit out of touch lately. I've been skimming the CC changelogs and haven't seen anything to indicate it, but - is there a way to make turtles viable in multiplayer, without the truly massive griefing potential?
The reason I'm asking is that this isn't just a CC thing, the "solution" could have shown up anywhere or nowhere.

I might be setting up a server soon-ish, but it depends. IMO Minecraft without Computercraft isn't really worth playing anymore, and I have largely the same opinion on Computercraft without turtles. :P/>
Bomb Bloke #2
Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:03 PM
Hello again. :)/>

Nothing specific in ComputerCraft, I'm afraid, neither in terms of preventing certain actions nor in tracking who ordered them. You can probably infer things from server logs, but I suppose it'd be trivial to program in a time delay… I suppose the average griefer would seldom think that far ahead, though.

There are ways to prevent turtles from performing certain actions, but they tend to be server-wide (as opposed to "at Bob's base") and involve the use of "plugins". And probably older versions of ComputerCraft, to be compatible with whatever mix of other mods are required to get said plugins going in the first place. Said other mods tend to break things.

Long story short, if you're using Bukkit or MCPC, then you should expect "issues" with ComputerCraft and other mods. If you're not using them, then you can't really limit a turtle's behaviour. Lose lose.

Some mods offer force-fields and the like as protection (I gather both Ars Magica and Thaumcraft do these days). Haven't specifically played with those sort of features (I've never had to worry about much worse than TNT-painted stone slabs been placed around my base), but I haven't heard people crying about them failing to work, either.

Frankly the way I see it, you either make a public server and let the matter of griefing sort itself out (griefers are gonna grief, turtles are one tool of many, and locking everything down won't leave much left to have fun with), or you whitelist and trust in the maturity of your users to prevent issues.

I suppose it would be possible to write a custom BIOS that forces users to register themselves as the turtle's "owner" the first time it boots up (hence making it possible to hold them responsible for its actions). That'd be an interesting project for anyone interested (not me).